Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

5 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

And now this...

Windows 10 just dropped a @#$&!! update...

And decided that it needed to reboot immediately (after telling me it had to reboot half an hour ago - and I did reboot then) after installing yet another update. This time, one of those Cortana boxes popped up, told me an update required a restart - and right in the middle of running a correlation in SPSS, the system rebooted.

HQHaZIC.png?1

Here ya go: https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=248

On 9/20/2018 at 7:49 AM, Sorabh said:

There are a lot of software consultancy firms where I am from. And they mass recruit graduates and post graduates. I am often pressurized to get into one of these. Now, I know, C, UNIX, PERL, stuff like that is easy to learn and implement, but think of it.. Should I spend 4 years of Bachelors, and 2 years of Masters in Mechanical Engineering just to become a software engineer?  All the skills that I learned , from ANSYS to SolidWorks to MatLab to my current research.... should I just unlearn every concept that I have learned just so I could 'get a job'?

I can imagine (but do not know) that a software engineer is challenged to at least superficially grasp new concepts with every project, if he/she is not only doing documentation stuff. A little flexibility opens up new ways. We live in the longest boom times of history, or so i read .... :-)

Oh, and i have nothing complain about today yet. But the day has just begun. Comes time, comes complaint :cool:

Edited by Green Baron

1 hour ago, Green Baron said:

I can imagine (but do not know) that a software engineer is challenged to at least superficially grasp new concepts with every project, if he/she is not only doing documentation stuff. A little flexibility opens up new ways. We live in the longest boom times of history, or so i read .... :-)

Oh, I have nothing against software engineers, nor do I think that one should not be inflexible when it comes to skills. My Father has been in this field for 26 years! :) And I am adept in C, considering it is used aplenty in making user defined functions(addons) for the software I use for engineering analysis (ANSYS).

The only thing which irks me is that, should I go into that career, I will learn software skills, no doubt, but I also wont have any use of my knowledge in Thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, fluid mechanics, turbomachinery and other subjects.... Which brings us to the next question: Why did I even study all these subjects, if I don't get to use them?

That's the only issue I have...

17 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

And now this...

And decided that it needed to reboot immediately (after telling me it had to reboot half an hour ago - and I did reboot then) after installing yet another update. This time, one of those Cortana boxes popped up, told me an update required a restart - and right in the middle of running a correlation in SPSS, the system rebooted.

HQHaZIC.png?1

16 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Microsoft is trying to scare people to Linux.

I think it might be highly dependant on hardware and software environment because I hear these reports about intrusive updates and updates that break things but I have had W10 for about a year and have seen an update dialogue only a handful of times and always as I am shutting down. I know my experience is not necessarily everyones, its what makes me think that hardware/software arrangements make the difference.

For one thing, one of the first things I did was turn off Cortana - its her job to intrude and tell you stuff.

My current machine is the least crashy setup I have owned so far...I mean it *does* have this thing where it crashes at total random about I dunno once every 50 hours or so? Totally random as far as I can tell. Oh and it sounds like....like if machines became a sentient race....it sounds like if you captured a sentient machine and subjected it to the worst torture imaginable. Like if you were executing a 1990's modem by electric chair, thats the sound it makes when it crashes. At full volume.

So yeah, least crashy :D

7 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

For one thing, one of the first things I did was turn off Cortana - its her job to intrude and tell you stuff.

Wo-ah!!! If you read the above statement without context, it sounds like "The Lament of The Hitched One." :D

And I am pretty sure, Cortana is just Clippy in a drag costume...

1 hour ago, Sorabh said:

The only thing which irks me is that, should I go into that career, I will learn software skills, no doubt, but I also wont have any use of my knowledge in Thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, fluid mechanics, turbomachinery and other subjects.... Which brings us to the next question: Why did I even study all these subjects, if I don't get to use them?

That's the only issue I have...

I see. Yeah, but that's normal. Or prograde ? :-)

I recall, that when i studied, it was the order to get somewhat proficient in 3 fields or archaeology during basic studies: first stone age, second neolithic and metal times, third medieval archaeology. After 2 years, we had to pass a brief exam where the professors checked what we had learned, before we were allowed to specialize ourselves. So, after having passed myself through the other two, i went into the medieval exam which interested me as much as a bicycle tipping over in central China (no offense dear Chinese colleagues :-)), said that to the consternated lady who was a year before retirement and asked to get over with this asap. I then briefly answered 3 of 5 questions and said idk to the other two and was told that she let me pass despite of my insolence, but she did not want to see me again in the medieval department. She didn't.

I must add, i was a senior student and could simply afford being bolder than the young ones. Do not do this at home !

If someone had to complain here, its the medieval archaeology prof.

:-)

Edited by Green Baron

A complaint.

So normally, the humorous trope is how irritating it is to be IT support for people less IT-savvy. 

Which we can all relate to, is humorous and is a recognised drawback of being IT support - sometimes you have to help stupid people and sometimes life just conspires to be difficult.

ButI would like to shed light on the converse, here is a simulated reproduction of what I have sometimes experienced:

Me:"Hi, please can you help me with this problem, I want to setup a conference call account to do A+B+C that my colleagues can do as a matter of routine. Here are some more details XYZ, this is what I need XYZ. If it is relevant here are three screenshots. This is what happens when I try XYZ (with screenshots). Please can you help me to do the thing I need? Let me know if you need ANY further information or clarity on this"

IT:   "7."

Me:   "Umm yeah, I cant see a 7"

IT:  "Try 42"

Me:  "Yeah, no 42 wont work because of XYZ as I explained"

IT:   "Zippity bop"

Me:  "Im not sure what that means or refers to"

IT:  "heres a link to a different question"

Me:  "Thanks but thats not...."

IT:  "You will have to log a ticket with the global helpdesk"

Me:  "Ok, will do, thanks for your "help"

No Im not bashing all IT professionals or even my IT guy, but dang if this tiny problem isnt taking a lot of effort to solve. Prime complaint material.

Edited by p1t1o

35 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

A complaint.

So normally, the humorous trope is how irritating it is to be IT support for people less IT-savvy. 

Which we can all relate to, is humorous and is a recognised drawback of being IT support - sometimes you have to help stupid people and sometimes life just conspires to be difficult.

ButI would like to shed light on the converse, here is a simulated reproduction of what I have sometimes experienced:

Me:"Hi, please can you help me with this problem, I want to setup a conference call account to do A+B+C that my colleagues can do as a matter of routine. Here are some more details XYZ, this is what I need XYZ. If it is relevant here are three screenshots. This is what happens when I try XYZ (with screenshots). Please can you help me to do the thing I need? Let me know if you need ANY further information or clarity on this"

IT:   "7."

Me:   "Umm yeah, I cant see a 7"

IT:  "Try 42"

Me:  "Yeah, no 42 wont work because of XYZ as I explained"

IT:   "Zippity bop"

Me:  "Im not sure what that means or refers to"

IT:  "heres a link to a different question"

Me:  "Thanks but thats not...."

IT:  "You will have to log a ticket with the global helpdesk"

Me:  "Ok, will do, thanks for your "help"

No Im not bashing all IT professionals or even my IT guy, but dang if this tiny problem isnt taking a lot of effort to solve. Prime complaint material.

And you see, where I am in IT, I'm essentially the second-level help desk. So I get both. I get to deal with the idiocy of the users and the idiocy of the first-level help desk techs. And everyone wonders why I drink so much. :/

3 minutes ago, YNM said:

Chrome on Android has been updated. And it's even more roundy and white-y.

Under Windows too, just awfully ugly and big. It is like YouTube some years ago, just make everything bigger with even more white everywhere so you can have a nice headache (without counting these designs are almost universally considered as ugly). Hopefully someone shared a solution:

BiPzlvT.jpg

First level IT support.  If the question isn't in their FAQ or instructions, just fill out a ticket and wait for someone that can help gets to it.

It's mostly a gatekeeper role or, if you're lucky, a triage system. 

Mt front-line tech support experience was in a call center for a server hosting company, that also did a small bit of website hosting.  You never knew if picking up the phone was going to be "I can't see the picture of the kitty I put on my site" or "A warehouse full of programmers is sitting idle because I put in a decommission order on the wrong server, and accidentally rm -rf *ed my /root".

7 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Under Windows too, just awfully ugly and big. 

You still get skins and such. And my only reason to use Chrome on android was because it's pre-installed, cannot be uninstalled and was on par with Firefox.

Not so much here and now.

I'm here to complain about programming the TI-84+

It uses a version of BASIC called TI-BASIC. This version is unique to TI-84/83's, all of texas instrument's other calculators use slightly different versions.

It relies heavily on keys which don't exist on normal keyboards.

Ending parentheses and quotes are not required, and are skipped on almost all examples of TI BASIC on the internet. Except in certain cases: "A lone If without an accompanying Then, but only when the condition is false (If with a true condition is unchanged)."

It has 27 number variables, and 6 string variables. Period.

It has an unlimited number of lists and matrices though.

Any statements made in the program without any other action will be stored in the ANS variable, which is special and can store any data type. To save space most code examples use this heavily, in very confusing ways.

The command to turn a decimal into a fraction only works in certain places, and is inferior at finding fractions compared to user made algorithms.

:If A
:If B
//Executes if A is false or B is true

Obviously.

Luckily I'm just doing this for fun, I'd hate to need to write something in this language.

10 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I'm here to complain about programming the TI-84+

What drove me crazy were the MINOR but software breaking variations between different versions of the calculators, and the lack of higher end graphics commands on the then higher end (at the time... late 1990s) models like the TI-85 and TI-86. Why have higher resolution screens, but then reduce the number of available graphics commands! Why have one model REQUIRE every command to close the parentheses, and another not... Usually...

Consistency, TI!
They charge enough for these bits of antiquated 1980s era tech that there's no justification for that level of NON-interoperability...
Especially when they hold the cartel for educational institution approved hardware...

Trust me... I ran into this a lot. I used to overclock and install backlights and memory expansions into the old TI calculators for people, over the internet, back in 1997-2000, and I was the premier TI-BASIC nerd of my high school during the four years prior.

31 minutes ago, richfiles said:

What drove me crazy were the MINOR but software breaking variations between different versions of the calculators, and the lack of higher end graphics commands on the then higher end (at the time... late 1990s) models like the TI-85 and TI-86. Why have higher resolution screens, but then reduce the number of available graphics commands! Why have one model REQUIRE every command to close the parentheses, and another not... Usually...

Consistency, TI!
They charge enough for these bits of antiquated 1980s era tech that there's no justification for that level of NON-interoperability...
Especially when they hold the cartel for educational institution approved hardware...

Trust me... I ran into this a lot. I used to overclock and install backlights and memory expansions into the old TI calculators for people, over the internet, back in 1997-2000, and I was the premier TI-BASIC nerd of my high school during the four years prior.

The entire experience reminds me a bit of a zachtronics game. Any recommendations for good projects to try to write? I made a program that completes that square, and I'm currently working on a program that can do simple factoring on polynomials with synthetic division and the quadratic formula, which I'm this close to making work.

Just now, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Any recommendations for good projects to try to write? I made a program that completes that square, and I'm currently working on a program that can do simple factoring on polynomials with synthetic division and the quadratic formula, which I'm this close to making work.

Sadly, no. TI also forced planned obsoleteness on all the old gen calculators by simply choosing not to support them with the USB TI Graph-Link cable. It was different when I had a working Power Mac G3 with both USB and a serial port... But these days, that old software's not been opened in at least a decade and a half. I DID make a program, back in high school, to solve polynomials, and another to solve the quadratic formula. because i showed the teacher how it works, and because i wrote the program to show the work (and not use the built in solve tools, but to break it down manually), she allowed me to use it for tests, since she felt it was a clear sign I understood how to do the work.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:53 AM, adsii1970 said:

And now this...

HQHaZIC.png?1

Set your network to metered

On 9/20/2018 at 11:53 AM, adsii1970 said:

And now this...

HQHaZIC.png?1

Wow...

After seeing this post,              

A l l   I   c a n   s a y   i s . . . 

Nice formatting!

so aesthetic...

:o

Edited by Guest

Okay, so occasionally there are larvae from moths crawling around on my left loudspeaker, and I have no idea where they are coming from. They could come from behind the desk, but why should they go all the way up to the speaker then?

Some types of moths will eat cloth, hence why mothballs exist. If the speaker has a cloth cover, they might be attracted to it... No idea, I guess.
Maybe they dig your jams. :sticktongue:

Edited by richfiles