Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

31 minutes ago, Delay said:

Rotary phone?

Scrolls sent to the land afar by means of a noble horse?

(Talk like the people in a Monty Python movie, specifically the Holy Grail)

Edited by Kernel Kraken

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

This was way back before call display, of course. 

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Rotary phone? 

LOL

I remembered button-only phones... they work off line voltage and we'd use them when the electricity go out !

idk though, maybe technology went faster where you live...

1 hour ago, YNM said:

LOL

I remembered button-only phones... they work off line voltage and we'd use them when the electricity go out !

idk though, maybe technology went faster where you live...

Touch tone phones were around in my area in the late 70’s, but you had to pay extra for the TT line as well as the phone. 

55 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Touch tone phones were around in my area in the late 70’s, but you had to pay extra for the TT line as well as the phone. 

I'm talking of early 2000s. (yeah, hello from a 3rd world country as always.)

Why are modern browsers so against the concept of a homepage and opening said homepage with a new tab?

I don't get it.  At least the war on flash (while IMO was implemented wrong) makes sense.  This is probably, somehow, advertising BS.

9 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Why are modern browsers so against the concept of a homepage and opening said homepage with a new tab?

I don't get it.  At least the war on flash (while IMO was implemented wrong) makes sense.  This is probably, somehow, advertising BS.

What are homepages for, anyway? I can sorta understand if you wanted to open your favorite search engine or something, but the address bar does queries just fine. Maybe if you want to go to the KSP forums quickly? But all you have to do is type 'f' into the address bar, and the autofill takes care of the rest. Don't really need a dedicated interface button and hotkey for that.

23 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

What are homepages for, anyway? I can sorta understand if you wanted to open your favorite search engine or something, but the address bar does queries just fine. Maybe if you want to go to the KSP forums quickly? But all you have to do is type 'f' into the address bar, and the autofill takes care of the rest. Don't really need a dedicated interface button and hotkey for that.

Because that's what I want it to do.  It's a functionality that's existed since the concept of tabbed browsers existed, and there's no reason for them to go out of their way to remove it.  We can still have a homepage, for when you open a new window.  But a new tab?  NO.  You need to add an extra step to get to where you're going because reasons.  I shouldn't have to install a hacky add-on that's constantly getting broken with browser updates just to keep a basic functionality that is harming nothing by existing.

I do not like to search using the address bar, especially since browsers tend to use the most useless search engines by default for that.  It's presumptuous to assume that I want an adaptive quick link system that's constantly changing when it's not what I want.  It's right on par with me checking the price online at Amazon for something once, not even adding it to my cart, then receiving promotional emails from Amazon for the next week begging me to buy one.  Set all that crap to default, I don't care.  But seriously, let me turn it off.

* - yes I know this is irritating me more than it should.  I get your point entirely, it's just not how I want my browser set up.

17 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Because that's what I want it to do.  It's a functionality that's existed since the concept of tabbed browsers existed, and there's no reason for them to go out of their way to remove it.  We can still have a homepage, for when you open a new window.  But a new tab?  NO.  You need to add an extra step to get to where you're going because reasons.  I shouldn't have to install a hacky add-on that's constantly getting broken with browser updates just to keep a basic functionality that is harming nothing by existing.

I do not like to search using the address bar, especially since browsers tend to use the most useless search engines by default for that.  It's presumptuous to assume that I want an adaptive quick link system that's constantly changing when it's not what I want.  It's right on par with me checking the price online at Amazon for something once, not even adding it to my cart, then receiving promotional emails from Amazon for the next week begging me to buy one.  Set all that crap to default, I don't care.  But seriously, let me turn it off.

* - yes I know this is irritating me more than it should.  I get your point entirely, it's just not how I want my browser set up.

Tradition-from-fiddler.jpg

28 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

We can still have a homepage, for when you open a new window.  But a new tab?  NO.

Well, my "home page" is set up to several tabs, because that's what I want when I open my browser.  Having to close 2 extra tabs every time I want to open a new tab would be a pain in the rear.

Edit, for clarity:
This a a vote for "options", not "Do it the way I want always!".

Edited by razark

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I do not like to search using the address bar, especially since browsers tend to use the most useless search engines by default for that. 

you can add your own selected site to it.

idk but it's been a while since I even use a homepage... I remember the URLs for all I want to look for.

Finally got all my new hardware in my computer.  Overclocked the RAM to 3600mhz, which is what it's rated for.  System boots, but browsers kept crashing and the system would freeze.  It's a fresh Linux install... so I figured it had to be hardware.

Turned the RAM down to 3200 mhz and everything seems stable for now.  Unfortunately I don't know squat about memory overclocking settings, so I'm stuck with what XMP has for now.

But anyway, something nasty happened with FF crashing.  All my saved passwords are gone.  Re-syncing hasn't brought them back.  :mad:

TWO DAYS. For two days I'm fighting a weird bug on a key mod of mine. I revised every line of code of it. I revised every line of code on the mods I'm adapting to use it. Hundreds and hundreds of lines of codes reviewed by my Mark1 Eye Balls.

But the weird behaviour was still there. So I rewrote the damn thing. TWICE. I broke half the interfaces in the process, but I will fix the freaking bug.

Compile the Universe (literally), deploy, launch KSP (whops) the program...

Still there.

So I did something not allowed to be mentioned by Forum Rules :D , (I think) I took a shower (I don't remember…  hahaha) and gone to sleep a full night for the first time this week.  :P 

Now, after lunch, I took my seat to waste some time on the social networks, and the window with the Midnight Commander showing the deployed artifacts was there, in the very same way it was when I <can't mention it due Forum Rules>. And I found the problem!!

The original, bugged, DLL was there too, together with my fixed version!!!!!
I forgot to clean the directory before deploying my DLL, and the original (bugged) was taking precedence over the new one.

FOR TWO GOD DAMNED DAYS.
GOD DAMNED CASE SENSITIVE VERSUS CASE INSENSITIVE ISSUES. GOD DAMNED DLL LOADING RULES. GOD DAMNED FLAWED CLEAN SCRIPTS. GOD DAMNED PROGRAMMING AT ALL. :D 

Edited by Lisias
eternal typos from the Englishless mind...

@Lisias I feel your pain. I lost a few hours the other day slamming my head into some select()-based networking code before realizing I had failed to RTFM. It turns out that the first argument to select() is not, as one might expect, the number of file descriptors to monitor. No, it's the integer value of the highest file descriptor. Plus one.

I want to find whoever wrote the spec for select() and slap them for gross incompetence.

On 10/2/2018 at 6:53 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

As a kid, my brother would sometimes answer the phone with "City Morgue, You Stab'em, We Slab'em." Of course, the one time I answer the phone like that, it's my mom. She was not impressed. This was way back before call display, of course.

This is a old joke. A friend of mine said she did that once and it was the local Police Department calling. They were not amused. :D

(Thread to complain about stuff)

I have a new job and no access to most of the required systems yet. (New York State likes to take there time.)
I have little to do currently but lurk various forums and, read.
I'm bored. :/

Edited by SpaceMouse

2 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

This is a old joke. A friend of mine said she did that once and it was the local Police Department calling. They were not amused. :D

Believe me. In twenty or thirty years her sons and grandsons will be. :)

I can't tell how many blunts of that kind I did on my time that nowadays are part of the best histories of my life I tell to my son, and my friends. :) 

Edited by Lisias
grammars. #sigh

Okay, so: I decided to learn Python a few weeks ago. Seems like a good language to learn for a start, if not: too bad; doing it anyway. Started learning 2 days ago, stop judging me.
Quick question to everyone who can program (in general); how often to you have to do array slicing?

I don't know how it works in different languages - given the explanation given in the Python tutorials it seems logical to assume they do too - but Python's implementation of slicing seems strange to me.
In order to read from element n to element m I need n and m+1 to define the subset I want.

If I have a list, e.g...

numbers = [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

... and I'd like to output the numbers 1 and 2, then I would expect "numbers[1:2]" to do that for me. Instead, "numbers[1:2]" just outputs "1".
But if I instead use "numbers[1:3]", then it gives me the numbers 1 and 2, as expected.

Again: Python gives an explanation to this, so I can understand why they did it (so that "numbers[:2] + numbers[2:]" gives the complete list), but it just seems counterintuitive to me.
Let's see how many times I'll have prematurely ending lists before I get it.

Edited by Delay

Python is heavily used by mathematicians, and so, heavily influenced by them.

Slices in Python follows the rule [start, end[ because most of the time is what we want (how many times you had to use "-1" after the index on the other languages?).

Python IS DIFFERENT. For the good and for the bad.

(nested lists comprehension is another thing that will blow your mind)

47 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

What do you need to slice an array for?

That's pretty much where I was going with my quesion of how often it is done. If it not done at all I can sort of estimate how important it is for me to learn using it.

4 minutes ago, Delay said:

That's pretty much where I was going with my quesion of how often it is done. If it not done at all I can sort of estimate how important it is for me to learn using it.

I mean, if you get the hang of for loops and indexing, you'll probably be set. Array slicing seems like a thing you don't need to do very often, and you can probably refer to the documentation if you need it. (I think Py has pretty good docs.)

8 hours ago, Delay said:

I don't know how it works in different languages - given the explanation given in the Python tutorials it seems logical to assume they do too - but Python's implementation of slicing seems strange to me.

Not all languages have array slicing. Actually, not all languages have arrays in the first place, but that's a discussion for another time. In any case, I take as an example C arrays. Arrays in C are (more or less) just regions of memory big enough to hold a certain number of variables of a specific type. Arrays contain one type of thing, do not automatically resize (and can only sometimes be manually resized), and most certainly don't have a slice operation. The closest thing you have is a function called memcpy(), which literally copies a certain number of bytes from one memory address to another.

Don't assume that, just because Python has it, other languages will too. Python in many ways is a weird language that makes most of its choices in the name of being fast to write above all else.

But, to answer your question, I never have to do array slicing - because it isn't a meaningful operation in the languages I use most of the time.

Edited by IncongruousGoat