Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

8 hours ago, YNM said:

You're preaching to the choir ... I'm a huge Rossmann fan. I don't disagree at all, but that video doesn't go back far enough!

Apple has been overpriced, and making mistakes since the INCEPTION of the Macintosh... Since the Apple III. Understand that Jobs STARTED the whole closed concept at Apple with the original Macintosh. Apple would have been far better served by building on the IIgs line vs the Macintosh line, if you ask me. It was a superior machine in all but the CPU... Something that was intentionally throttled, per Jobs, so as to not have a machine powerful enough to self compete against the new Macintosh. I can't tell you how many BAD designs got put out... The LC/Performa 520 and 550 were awful machines, and the Macintosh LC series was full of crippled models, just to artificially create low end models (same parts as the high end models), but justify charging extra for the "high end" version... Literally the same hardware, minus crippling (24 bit busses vs 32 bit busses were a good example of intentional crippling). The PowerPC 5200, and the PowerBook 1400 truly were sins. Creating them was almost certainly morally wrong... Those abominations were created by building machines around limited busses, with the 5200 being a spectacularly horrid example. It MULTIPLEXES a 32 bit CPU over a 16 bit bus. Every other clock cycle accesses different peripherals. There are major issues that cause the use of one peripheral to interfere with another on the opposing clock cycle. At 75 MHz, you might as well have been running a machine that clocked in at only 37.5 MHz... That was on par with hardware released years prior! Given that this was one of the early PowerPC Macs, and they were still doing 68k CPU emulation for backwards compatibility with older 68K Mac apps... The performance on some software was worse than it would be on the older CPUs from machines years older! Worse, parts of the OS itself were still written in 68K code, so parts of the OS were under emulation, running on a crippled machine!  My high school made the mistake of filling an entire computer lab with those abominations... The 5300-5500 models corrected those sins and redeemed itself. I still have a 5500 around somewhere.

Apple made interesting hardware, and nice software. Sadly they released far too many duds right along with the rare gems, and they overcharged for ALL of it. When Jobs returned to Apple, he did guide them in the right direction. Sadly, that direction soon heavily favored iPods and later iPhones, and the Mac fell to second string as a result. The faltering of IBM's PowerPC CPU to scale to higher clock speeds became a massive hurdle for Apple to overcome, and forced the switch to Intel CPUs. Jobs strongly seemed to favor a simple product offering... At it's core, pro and consumer offerings for desktops and laptops. Consumer offerings favored closed systems, with basic ports and all in one designs, while pro offerings offered more ports, and offered great expandability in the desktop lineup. This was a good thing... Sadly, Apple was already anti-upgrade back then, and really did go out of the way to try to keep the CPU locked to what you paid them for. Sure, you could add RAM and hard drives, and on the pro models, expansion cards, but that was it. Changing a CPU was HARD, compared to standard PCs, and some had the clock speeds locked in the motherboard, not the CPU. Fortunately the last Jobs generation of Mac Pro was more open, even with CPUs, but still not easy to upgrade. It took Tim Cook and Apple only two years, once Jobs had died, to transform the incredibly easy to expand 2010 Mac Pro and turn it into that real turd of a 2013 Mac trash can. Apple has shifted away from pushing performance, to pushing thinness and A E S T H E T I C S. Of course Jobs liked thin too, but it's gotten to the point now where pocketing your stupid phone and sitting is a risk you should avoid, and where laptops can NEVER run their peak theoretical processing capacity, because Apple thinks throttling your CPU so you don't release the magic smoke, and then maintaining a steady 90°C is an acceptable operating temperature for something you set near... Err... Well near important things... In your lap. :huh:

Appul... You a derp! :confused:

Edited by richfiles

11 hours ago, YNM said:

I've always called it the "phone cable" or "LAN cable" ! Didn't know it has a name like such.

It's a phone company thing... 'Registered Jack'. As a young man in my early 20's, I worked for Bell Telephone (now known as Verizon); It was common terminology back then.

Edited by LordFerret

On 10/10/2018 at 8:40 AM, richfiles said:

You're preaching to the choir...

Well TBH there are a few good things that they do.

Though where I'm at it's really difficult to find a piece of tech that wouldn't change much for decades. (even Microsoft is letting it go.)

On 10/10/2018 at 11:19 AM, LordFerret said:

It's a phone company thing... 'Registered Jack'.

While I didn't know the name I'm definitely aware of them. Still experienced the era with cabled phones.

Edited by YNM

8 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Wait, I thought you were a ferret who could type...

No, no... Clearly he is the LORDferret... He orders the subordinate ferret to type for him... As he is that ferret's lord. Was this not clear? :confused:

24 minutes ago, richfiles said:

No, no... Clearly he is the LORDferret... He orders the subordinate ferret to type for him... As he is that ferret's lord. Was this not clear? :confused:

Considering I gained this moniker somewhere around 1986, having owned 8 of them, I'd say that's pretty accurate. I'm also pretty sure I'm the original... all others came after me.

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Cat puked on my computer again, third time in this spot, and managed to take out the HD I was using for Timeshift.

Getting really sick of cleaning out the dock connector.

20181013092320.jpg

Then stop putting your cat in your computer, simple solution.

Okay actually, how did your cat puke inside of the computer?

ITS 26C IN A PLACE WERE IT SHOULD BE FALL ALREADY!!!!!

I HAVE BEEN CONQUERED BY MOSQUITOS.

I AM UNDER THREAT OF GETTING INVOLVED IN HIGH-SCHOOL LOVE DRAMA.

I AM OVERREACTING OVER THINGS I WILL FORGET IN 2 MONTHS.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

11 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

My kids are, once again, taking the entire day to do their weekend chores, which shouldn't take them more than an hour.

At least they're doing them.  I asked mine to clean her room for 10-20 minutes, and so far has spent about 3 hours screaming at me about it instead of doing it.

8 minutes ago, NSEP said:

It should be like 10C in Western Europe. 26C is heatwave-level weather, even during summer here.

I'd like to complain about describing 26C as a heatwave - it's known in Perth as "a lovely day".

The highest temperature recorded in Perth was 46.2 °C (115.2 °F) on 23 February 1991, although Perth Airport recorded 46.7 °C (116.1 °F) on the same day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth

7 hours ago, James Kerman said:

The highest temperature recorded in Perth was 46.2 °C (115.2 °F)

11 hours ago, NSEP said:

ITS 26C IN A PLACE WERE IT SHOULD BE FALL ALREADY!!!!!

11 hours ago, Delay said:

SAME OVER HERE IN GERMANY!!!!!!!

Man, I'm so glad I live on the Equator. 20-33 deg C year-round.

5 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

And in the mountains, no less!

IDK, here the mountains are a bit more extreme at 10-33 deg C.

The only problem from these stable temperature is that we're really spoiled against cold. 15 deg C is chilling, 10 deg C is already freezing. Going to single digits would require things that people who're native to it is going to laugh at.

And to be fair to Europeans, their normal temperature range is only -5 to 20 deg C or so. Mild but in the colder levels.

Edited by YNM