Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

That may well be. See climate classifications and zones.

Tropical regions have all year round a median temp of around 18-25°C, while continental and even temperate regions have much higher variations.

Example: the extremely hot and dry summer parts of Europe experienced this year with temps regularly at 35°C or above, while it was rather cool in the Canaries (it rarely went above 25°C until end of June).

Edited by Green Baron

Must be nice to have all this warm weather. It's been snowing, raining, and hovering close to the freezing mark here in Edmonton since the middle of September.

3 hours ago, Delay said:

Wait, so the equator is colder than our summer here at ~50°N?

Yes ! But also a lot more humid (in wet season up to 95%+, in dry season down to 70%), so it feels hot because of the humidity, not insolation.

22 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Must be nice to have all this warm weather.

Not very nice to have all the pesky insects though. And depending on where in the equator you live, the ground isn't very stable.

3 hours ago, Green Baron said:

a median temp of around 18-25°C

True where I am up in the mountains I guess. A lot more varied than the lowlands though (higher mean and median but smaller variation).

Edited by YNM

6 minutes ago, YNM said:

Not very nice to have all the pesky insects though

Every year about this time, my wife continuously mutters something along the lines of "I can't wait for the first frost so everything dies."

2 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

"I can't wait for the first frost so everything dies."

No way that can occur here, the rest of the world would've freezed over first.

So yeah, year-round insects.

8 minutes ago, YNM said:

Not very nice to have all the pesky insects though. And depending on where in the equator you live, the ground isn't very stable.

Bugs? Not a problem. Bugs are a minor inconvenience, and at times they are my friends! (pollinators).

Ground? Hmmm.......I can't remember when we had a tremor or anything like that here.....(we're pretty stable).

5 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Bugs? Not a problem.

Locusts, pests, mosquitos (with different stuff in them), flies, cockroaches.

7 minutes ago, GDJ said:

I can't remember when we had a tremor or anything like that here.....(we're pretty stable).

We've had 2 different site of earthquake swarm (Palu and Lombok), and now everyone is concerned with landslides and liquefaction.

idk if you go to Brazil or something they don't have so much tectonic activity. (far worse arthropods though.)

3 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Well, we found a massive pregnant brown recluse in our garage.

I won't be sleeping for a while.

Pics or it didn't happen?

Agreed with that though. Long as you don't go down there that much it shouldn't really matter right?

On 10/13/2018 at 9:33 AM, Geonovast said:

Cat puked on my computer again

Wait... You have a derp for a cat!?!

(said absolutely no one with any trace of surprise...)
Cats are derps. Adorable, sweet, murderfloof derps, and we love them, except the ones who see through their clever plans for dominating our kind.

##°C

I remember one winter when it got to -40° (I don't need to tell you if it's C or F, cause at that low a temp, the scales cross). Governor of the state issued an order closing schools due to the low temperatures. I'd leave super early, because back then I had to bike ten blocks to the local elementary school so I could get a ride on a bus that would take me to the high school two towns over. I left before the order went out over the radio, so I biked 10 blocks to school, in -40°(C or F) temps... I waited and waited... Assuming the bus was just running late. It was just cold... No new snow. This was before cell phones were common, but once I realized the elementary school was still locked up (with no signs of teachers being present), I decided they must have called school off anyway, so I biked the ten blocks back home... in -40° temps (C or F, take your pick!). Unfortunately, the governor was a derp (just like all cats), and took his sweet time to make the announcement. My siblings had all left, and so they biked 10 blocks to the school, in -40° (C or F) weather... On the street on the OPPOSITE side of the block as I had been returning. Needless to say, they missed me. I got back, and was told they'd just left... I tried to catch up (in that -40° cold), but made it all the way back to the school, before finding them and telling them, school got canceled... We all returned... In -40° (C or F) temps.

I biked 40 blocks in -40° temps... You know who didn't care whether that was measured in Celsius or Fahrenheit back then... THIS guy... Cause it was COLD!!! :huh:

I was reminded of this because it snowed today. And I hate snow...

I could have gone all day not even knowing it had snowed... I was gonna laze around on my day off. Buddy calls me (wakes me), says we should go grab breakfast at this decent restaurant in town. Good thing they serve all day breakfast, cause I was sleeping in... I was tired after a 55 hour work week, and it was 1 PM when I got woke. First, I had to be reminded that some derp (not a cat) took my parking spot, so I had to walk to the other side of the parking lot where the visitor parking is to get to my car. Thanks not a cat... :mad: When we got there, I admit, I was pretty hungry, so I ordered an appetizer along with my breakfast. I lamented the fact that I had just spent $3 on a hot chocolate that was served in a mug that was 2/3 the size of the smallest glass in my house... Thanks... I mean, it was tasty, for the few minutes it remained in the glass and not in me. Did not last long once it cooled to a comfortable temperature. My breakfast was great, though one bit of egg was rather undercooked... I'm fine with a runny yolk... Just not a slimy white. Eww... I also couldn't help that they never even bothered to bring my appetizer. That's alright. I got full after all, and just said nothing. Food staff have a hectic enough job as it is. While I didn't complain, I did decide that since my buddy *tipped well, I was gonna play the role of Mister Pink this time around. It wasn't particularly nice... But my buddy does tip well, so I left that task entirely to him...

*For those outside of the US... Tipping is pretty common in restaurants with waitstaff. Rather than pay an actual fair and decent wage to their workers, most US restaurants pay waitstaff a pathetic wage, and expect the staff to make the difference in tips. I guess they figure it encourages them to provide the best service to customers... It's... it's dumb, but it's how it is in the US. I know many places elsewhere would look down on tipping.

5 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I'd rather not.

Though, instrestingly, the venom in it's bite is not what causes the necrosis, but an infection that is common with puncture wounds.

Ok. I can see why you'd rather not.

That is quite interesting. So what is the normal effect of the venom?

Spoiler
15 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Venom[edit]

On normal or hard difficulty, cave spiders inflict 
Poison upon attacking.[1] On normal difficulty, the poison lasts for 7 seconds and can cause up to 4 (Poisoned Heart.svgPoisoned Heart.svg) damage. On hard difficulty, it lasts for 15 seconds and can cause up to 10 (Poisoned Heart.svgPoisoned Heart.svgPoisoned Heart.svgPoisoned Heart.svgPoisoned Heart.svg) damage. Note that even on hard, poison damage is not taken when health is at 1 (Half Heart.svg).

And btw if you kill it,

Spoiler

Drops[edit]

They drop 0–2 string. They also have a 13 chance to drop a spider eye if killed by a player. They drop 5 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.

So, the conclusion:

@Kernel Kraken needs a tamed wolf.

Edited by kerbiloid

9 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

Venom[edit]

On normal or hard difficulty, cave spiders inflict 
Poison upon attacking.[1] On normal difficulty, the poison lasts for 7 seconds and can cause up to 4 (Poisoned Heart.svgPoisoned Heart.svg) damage. On hard difficulty, it lasts for 15 seconds and can cause up to 10 (Poisoned Heart.svgPoisoned Heart.svgPoisoned Heart.svgPoisoned Heart.svgPoisoned Heart.svg) damage. Note that even on hard, poison damage is not taken when health is at 1 (Half Heart.svg).

And btw if you kill it,

Hide contents

Drops[edit]

They drop 0–2 string. They also have a 13 chance to drop a spider eye if killed by a player. They drop 5 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.

So, the colnclusion:

@Kernel Kraken needs a tamed wolf.

My tamed wolf is more afraid of everything than I am, sadly. 

It's actually pretty funny, but sad at the same time.

14 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Ok. I can see why you'd rather not.

Just pain.

yo this thread is still active? Its been a bloody long time..

well I mean let me stick to the topic. Know that old mac I occasionally complained about here I think and that Ive used since I joined this site? Well it broke for the like millionth time except this time it won't turn on so Im pretty sure its done for good now, since its been three months...

so uh

k byeeeee*

Edited by Spacetraindriver
*again

i finally got my new computer to boot. find out there is no driver support for things other than windows 10. after a day of trying to install windows 8.1, 7, giving up, contemplating linux, giving up again, and finally biting the bullet that is windows 10, i find myself somewhat disappointed. this was followed by a day of installing drivers, updating windows, benchmarking, and performance tuning. i got a significant improvement in memory bandwidth just by using the xmp timings but clocking the ram at 2666mhz (aka two-satan mhz), which is the max the mobo will support. the ram can go up to 3000mhz so it gives me a little future proofing (provided ddr5 isnt out before then). theres probibly a way to get the ram to its full spec with the right overclock settings and still run stable, but its not really that big of a deal and not really worth shortening mtbf of the modules over it. 

There was nothing to do in today's math class, so the teacher decided that we'd watch a lecture about the Mandelbrot set. He gave us a quick introduction to complex numbers and the complex plane (as neither of these things will ever be relevant for school here) and then opened the lecture.

And that's when the internet broke down, which worked perfectly fine just a few minutes ago.

25 minutes ago, Delay said:

There was nothing to do in today's math class, so the teacher decided that we'd watch a lecture about the Mandelbrot set. He gave us a quick introduction to complex numbers and the complex plane (as neither of these things will ever be relevant for school here) and then opened the lecture.

And that's when the internet broke down, which worked perfectly fine just a few minutes ago.

Because Murphy loves a pratfall....

On 10/8/2018 at 1:01 PM, NSEP said:

I NEED NUCLEAR THERMAL ROCKETS NOW.

I am speculating a Mars mission, and i have realized that you can send alot of cargo to Mars in only 2 launches with NTR rather than the 5-10 refilling launches per cargo mission with chemical BFR.

Ah, but you see, it has the word nuclear in it. Which means it won't happen.

If only NERVA flew back in the day, maybe we wouldn't be so stingy. But then again, the military uses a bunch of reactors already, so we really shouldn't be stingy... ugh.

Uh, I'm behind on creating character arcs (Which reading some of the posts here, is a pretty mild complaint), and I can't figure out good arcs for some of the side characters.

6 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Ah, but you see, it has the word nuclear in it. Which means it won't happen.

Do you think a simple rebranding could work?

Just dont mention "nuclear", call it something like a "Exhaust-Cooled Decay Engine" or "Thermal Expansion Drive" or just "Non-Chemical Rocket".

The latter has the advantage of having the term "Non-Chemical" which I think would be very popular, I think extra traction could be had by adding further suffixes such as "Gluten Free" or "Carbon Neutral".