Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

4 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Do you think a simple rebranding could work?

Just dont mention "nuclear", call it something like a "Exhaust-Cooled Decay Engine" or "Thermal Expansion Drive" or just "Non-Chemical Rocket".

The latter has the advantage of having the term "Non-Chemical" which I think would be very popular, I think extra traction could be had by adding further suffixes such as "Gluten Free" or "Carbon Neutral".

You know (I don't know if you're being serious), but I don't know actually :D

Chemicals are bad! Both in my food, and rocket fuel.

I like thermal expansion drive, personally. "Exhaust-cooled decay engine" sounds like an RTG powered engine.

17 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

But then again, the military uses a bunch of reactors already, so we really shouldn't be stingy... ugh.

When I was in nuclear power school back in the Navy,  my nuclear physics instructor started our first class with this statement: "If you walk up to any average person on the street in Downtown San Diego and ask them, 'Where is the nearest nuclear power plant?' they're going to answer, 'San Onofre.' And we want to keep it that way."

17 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

I think extra traction could be had by adding further suffixes such as "Gluten Free" or "Carbon Neutral".

LOL

"No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have researched the records for years, and employed agents to help me—has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby." - H. L. Mencken

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Thermal Expansion Drive

I like it!

”Houston to MARS [Mars-bound Active Reactor Ship - on the return trip call it EARS], we show you approaching TMI, do you copy?”

”Roger, Houston, TED is primed and ready to percolate!”

Just ignore that “Mr Fission” sticker on the side...

50 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Sorry that IS fake news and absolutely untrue.

The forest is saved, the energy company has withdrawn, the IPCC report is not "terrifying", but alarming to act now, and nobody in Germany shouts for nuclear power, not even the energy companies because it is too expensive.

"Environmental Progress" is an American thing (USA), probably propaganda related. A "Nuclear Pride Fest" in Munic is not about to take place, they'll be laughed out of town, i can tell you.

In contrary has the German division of the WWF just released a study that comes to the conclusion that with just 2.5% of the available area in Germany the whole country could be run on renewable energy alone.

Sorry, i repeat, fake news, which is a complaint. I mean a complaint. :cool:

------------------------

40 minutes ago, TheKorbinjer said:

Complain about stuff? When I went skydiving, i almost chickened out, I personally didnt want to go, but that was before my tandem instructor literally threw himself and me out of the plane. 

No regrets, it was fun.

Cool :-) I read your thread on it. Seems like you're addicted.

I only jumped once out of a plane, with a friend who needed a volunteer for his license. But i paraglided for more than ten years. Have fun with your hobby, should you make one out of if :-)

Edited by Green Baron

1 hour ago, Green Baron said:

The forest is saved, the energy company has withdrawn, the IPCC report is not "terrifying", but alarming to act now, and nobody in Germany shouts for nuclear power, not even the energy companies because it is too expensive.

"Environmental Progress" is an American thing (USA), probably propaganda related. A "Nuclear Pride Fest" in Munic is not about to take place, they'll be laughed out of town, i can tell you.

In contrary has the German division of the WWF just released a study that comes to the conclusion that with just 2.5% of the available area in Germany the whole country could be run on renewable energy alone.

Sorry, i repeat, fake news, which is a complaint. I mean a complaint. :cool:

------------------------

Cool :-) I read your thread on it. Seems like you're addicted.

I only jumped once out of a plane, with a friend who needed a volunteer for his license. But i paraglided for more than ten years. Have fun with your hobby, should you make one out of if :-)

The Hambach pit's continued existence and expansion plans kind of show that, yeah, the forests aren't saved. There's also Garzweiler, though I don't know how much forest was there before the mine started.

Then again, those excavators are some pretty amazing machines. 

2 hours ago, Green Baron said:

It's not true that there will be a gathering to express support for nuclear energy on Sunday? Well, we'll see, who knows.

The coal mine expansion and deforestation has been put on hold, pending further analysis of bat population. It has not been canceled and the future is certainly not clear.

Nobody shouts for nuclear in Germany? Again, Sunday is just a few days away.

The article is not claiming that energy companies are advocating nuclear power. The article talks about an environmental group advocating it, further claiming that closure of nuclear power plants leads to higher cost of electricity (50% in 12 years). Energy companies won't object to that. 

Time will tell.

2.5% of Germany is a humongous area to cover with PVs and wind turbines. It's entirely not feasible.

6 hours ago, Green Baron said:

You just put huge windmills in the North Sea.

Would they pay Benelux to do it, or... fall gelb ? XD

16 hours ago, Spaceception said:

You know (I don't know if you're being serious), but I don't know actually :D

Chemicals are bad! Both in my food, and rocket fuel.

I like thermal expansion drive, personally. "Exhaust-cooled decay engine" sounds like an RTG powered engine.

Kinda half serious actually, Im hard pressed to think of an example but Im sure it has worked before. Stuff like that does work, I used to have a job working on the advertising copy that went on the boxes of some consumer wound care products and there was stuff we couldnt say because it would put people off the product - including what the plaster was made of and how it worked.

2 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Police asks people not to call the emergency telefone number just because youtube not being available :rolleyes:

"Mayday, mayday, mayday, ..." ...

You dont have the special number for that?

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

You don't need to call 112 to restore youtube because somebody already has done this.

I know its logical that other countries have different emergency services numbers, but it's so weird seeing people say something other than 911. It must seem insane to other people too, right?

10 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I know its logical that other countries have different emergency services numbers, but it's so weird seeing people say something other than 911. It must seem insane to other people too, right?

Probably this reflects a logic of the phone number operator from the dial phone epoch.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8LyKVP3BHO7xAlaJDHB2

Desired thoughts of a user while the phone disc is rotating back:

112:
1 = Help!!!
1 = Help!!!
2 = Hurry!!!

911:
9 = Are-you-really-sure-that-you-want-to-continue-this-attempt-to-call-us-and-maybe-then-answer-for-a-fake-call?
1 = Well.
1 = Ok.

Edited by kerbiloid

12 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

It must seem insane to other people too, right?

Not that much to those who have traveled, i'd say.

I still recall the 70s and 80s in Europe, there were signs with numbers of the country one entered at the side of the road when one crossed the borders via main roads. Anyway, the normal mortal doesn't need to call it that often ...

Edited by Green Baron

56 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Definitely, the only real number is 999 ;)

I have heard on the grapevine that if you dial any of the common national emergency services numbers in the UK, you will be put through to the right place.

Edited by p1t1o

One looses less numbers in a limited dial length with 999 than one does with 112, at least with the ancient way of dialing (the dialing technique has a name i forgot).

But i don't think this a thing these days any more, as in the modern times the whole number is transmitted before it is evaluated.

[trying to be funny]Like, i was told that usually one mounts a horse from the left side and that's why our British colleagues still drive on the left side. But like the ancient dialing, it is not a thing any more these days. ;):cool:[/trying to be funny]

Edited by Green Baron