Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

37 minutes ago, NSEP said:

How to get sucked into a heated discussion:

Step 1: Open twitter.

The Twitter community is more unstable than Francium.

Every day I grow more of the opinion that social media is one of the worst things that has ever happened to the human race.

34 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Every day I grow more of the opinion that social media is one of the worst things that has ever happened to the human race.

It obviously varies by audience.

This forum is a form of social media, as was USENET back in the day. The primary difference is that the average intelligence of the users here, and on all of USENET back in the day is/was substantially higher than the average intelligence of people on FaceBook or Twitter now since those include the set of people who own phones, vs the set of people interested in space exploration, or the set of people who were defense contractors or STEM people at university (USENET, back in the day).

Really changes the signal to noise ratio.

I just follow space and science twitter, the trouble is that so many people feel the need to chime in on train wreck topics in addition to the stuff I care about (and followed in the first place). Anyone in STEM twitter retweets something political results in me turning off their retweets. I try and keep the S/N ratio high. I more than welcome spirited debate within the subject, obviously, I just don't want it to become dogmatic nonsense.

Edited by tater

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

social media is one of the worst things that has ever happened to the human race.

It's not so much as "a place to socialize" than it is a transparent individual glass box from which you can see everyone and everyone else can see you (unless you have frosted the glass over, but you can still see everyone else who hasn't).

I think one of the biggest change is anonymity : in the past I used to keep my two lifes different - online for online, offline for offline. The mainstream social media, however, has largely blended the two and makes keeping it separate more difficult. You might ask "but what's the point of keeping things separate ?" Well, it means you don't have to take everything seriously unless it has become too obvious, and you don't have to worry about the implication of things that happen in one realm would have in the other. As now social media has become an extension of your daily life rather than a second look, it has turned as sour as real life is.

30 minutes ago, tater said:

Anyone in STEM twitter retweets something political results in me turning off their retweets.

This is one of the things that I have problems with as well. But such is the suction I guess. (I have deleted my twitter though.)

Edited by YNM

7 minutes ago, YNM said:

This is one of the things that I have problems with as well. But such is the suction I guess. (I have deleted my twitter though.)

I sorta lurk on it, and follow national labs, rocket companies, journals, etc. Also the odd STEM personality (Musk, Bruno, etc).

1 hour ago, tater said:

It obviously varies by audience.

This forum is a form of social media, as was USENET back in the day. The primary difference is that the average intelligence of the users here, and on all of USENET back in the day is/was substantially higher than the average intelligence of people on FaceBook or Twitter now since those include the set of people who own phones, vs the set of people interested in space exploration, or the set of people who were defense contractors or STEM people at university (USENET, back in the day).

Really changes the signal to noise ratio.

I just follow space and science twitter, the trouble is that so many people feel the need to chime in on train wreck topics in addition to the stuff I care about (and followed in the first place). Anyone in STEM twitter retweets something political results in me turning off their retweets. I try and keep the S/N ratio high. I more than welcome spirited debate within the subject, obviously, I just don't want it to become dogmatic nonsense.

Well, when I say, "social media" I'm referring to the specific subset of mass-market, general purpose social media sites: Twitter, Facebook, etc. Forums like this are a completely different beast. And, trust, me, it's not just about the IQ of the membership. I frequent some truck forums where the average IQ is barely above room temperature. (But also be careful, because some of those "room-temperature IQ" guys are some of the nicest, salt-of-the-Earth, give-you-the-shirt-off-their-back kind of guys I've ever met.) Forums have a focused subject, they're moderated, they aren't collecting your data for nefarious purposes, etc.

I had this discussion with a friend of mine a couple of months ago, and he was all, "Well, you know Facebook isn't all bad. I've reconnected with a few old friends through Facebook." And I said, "You really think that the level of rancor, vitriol, and division we're experiencing in the country today, a great deal of which can be directly attributed to the rise of social media, is worth reconnecting with a few old friends who you probably aren't even talking to anymore?" And he was all, "Well, when you put it that way...."

3 hours ago, tater said:

The primary difference is that the average intelligence of the users here, and on all of USENET back in the day is/was substantially higher than the average intelligence of people on FaceBook or Twitter now since those include the set of people who own phones, vs the set of people interested in space exploration, or the set of people who were defense contractors or STEM people at university (USENET, back in the day).

I hate to say this, but I think you are giving all of us too much credit.   "Intelligent" people are just as subject to aggression, pettiness and human foibles as every one else, sometimes more-so because they can become too convinced of their own infallibility. The reason this forum is such a pleasant place is because it is very well moderated. Political discussions are banned.  This forum is a little society and the moderators help maintain a culture of courtesy to keep that society from breaking down.  Like school teachers monitoring children on a playground, they make sure we all stay within acceptable boundaries of behaviour.  Stray too far, and the post will be deleted and a polite reprimand to keep it civil will follow.

No one gets drawn into flame wars because they are never allowed to start. It is one reason I love this forum.  Places like Facebook and Twitter are free-for-alls, and I am inclined to agree with @TheSaint, they have done far more harm than good for society. 

I just came from twitter! :blush: Maybe Im lucky and only follow nice people...Or I could of been desensitized from Youtube comments sections...

On another note my Dad thinks KSP is uncreative... ;-;

Spoiler

He also said I was recently and that I should be more, which is completely bs considering i just drew yesterday as well as adapt a scp in comic form, which Im sure has nothing to do with my shyness and insecurity about anything considering myself right? Right? Heh...

3 hours ago, Spacetraindriver said:

my Dad thinks KSP is uncreative... ;-;

Well, have some variations in life I guess. I don't think he has seen much but it's the main thing - just variations.

Judging from the reaction from the BlizzCon crowd when a guy asked if Diablo Immortal was an "out of season April Fools joke", I'd say I'm not the only one who thinks Blizzard made a poor judgment when they decided that the main event at BlizzCon would be to present a mobile game that is a lazy outsourced reskin of an existing game.

19 hours ago, cubinator said:

It's dark at 5 PM, what the hell. 

Come to the equator ! Sunrise every 6 AM (06:00) and sunset every 6 PM (18:00) !*

* : subject to ± 20 minutes variation.

Edited by YNM

So prepare for a little tiny rant here.

Context: I get migraine headaches extremely easy, and when I do, it's horrible. I have swimmy stuff at the edge of my vision, my head feels like someone's hammering a railroad spike into my forehead, and my stomach gets dizzy. Typically, throwing up once or twice as well as taking some Ibuprofen and an anti-nausea medicine helps me get better.

------

Rant:

Yesterday, I was FaceTiming my girlfriend of 1 month, one week, and six days. I hadn't eaten much for lunch and was feeling the early signs of death migraines occurring (Trouble seeing the screen). I got off and had to go to a church youth group thing, where I just curled up in a ball and closed my eyes to keep it from getting worse. I took some ibuprofen as soon as I got home, and despite my pain (and the loss of some pizza from lunch), I hopped on the phone to call again. 

More context: I call her on my phone in the living room. Typically, I rest my phone up against a table leg, while I lay on my stomach with a pillow, so my arms don't die.

Anyways, I call her. Throughout the call, I kinda curl up and lift my stomach off the ground. This gap in my stomach reminds me of how empty it is, which makes me hurt more, which makes me curl up, etc. Eventually, it's so bad I have to leave mid-sentence and dispell what's left in my stomach (Not going to go into the details). I head downstairs, and then, as soon as I'm about to say how much I love her (Which I bet would have just been so romantic coming from the dude who just threw up and who looks like crap), it's time for supper. I say that I'll be right back after a light breakfast of eggs and toast. I head to the kitchen, and it feels like the Hulk is pushing a flagpole into my forehead. I can't even eat the rest of the meal and just stagger upstairs to go to sleep.

TL;DR: Felt terrible yesterday because I wanted to die, feel terrible today because I didn't give my girlfriend a goodbye. 

From the wonderful land of school:

So in history, we typically have to take notes over the weekend. This week, we had nothing. As I was happy, I kept waiting for our teacher to end my happiness and throw my hopes of a stress-free weekend down the toilet. She didn't.

Fast-forward to today; English class

I'm working on some English work about Julius Ceaser, when I hear something about history. I ignore it, wondering about why the final 3 paragraphs were important. Until I hear, "She assigned us stuff for tomorrow!" I hurridly check the website, and, sure enough, work. 26 pages of the book to take notes on by tomorrow. Now that might not sound that bad. But when the text is this big, IT VERY MUCH IS A PROBLEM.

So for now, I'd like to thank you, teacher. I'm fine with doing the work. But giving us pretty much 0 time to do it, that's when I have a problem. I have half a mind to say screw it and ignore the assignment and pull the "You didn't give us time" card. 

I am deeply concerned. One of my rabbits might not hold on for much longer.
She's been very calm for a few days now, that usually is a bad sign.

Edit: I just fed them. She still eats, which is a slight relief. Still, her overall behavior leaves me worried nonetheless.

Edited by Delay

47 minutes ago, Delay said:

I am deeply concerned. One of my rabbits might not hold on for much longer.
She's been very calm for a few days now, that usually is a bad sign.

Edit: I just fed them. She still eats, which is a slight relief. Still, her overall behavior leaves me worried nonetheless.

Sorry dude.  How old?

2 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

From the wonderful land of school:

So in history, we typically have to take notes over the weekend. This week, we had nothing. As I was happy, I kept waiting for our teacher to end my happiness and throw my hopes of a stress-free weekend down the toilet. She didn't.

Fast-forward to today; English class

I'm working on some English work about Julius Ceaser, when I hear something about history. I ignore it, wondering about why the final 3 paragraphs were important. Until I hear, "She assigned us stuff for tomorrow!" I hurridly check the website, and, sure enough, work. 26 pages of the book to take notes on by tomorrow. Now that might not sound that bad. But when the text is this big, IT VERY MUCH IS A PROBLEM.

So for now, I'd like to thank you, teacher. I'm fine with doing the work. But giving us pretty much 0 time to do it, that's when I have a problem. I have half a mind to say screw it and ignore the assignment and pull the "You didn't give us time" card. 

One time I had a professor who opened an assignment after it was due...

He was kind enough to change the due date though.