Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

I woke up this morning, and before I even got out of bed, I knew something was wrong... I'll drink some water and get my breakfast going...
Four minutes later I'm tossing the breakfast in the fridge and bolting for my throne room. :o
I leave... And return within another 10 minutes... At this point, I'm letting my boss know I won't be in.

So, this has been a BAD week at work...
I started out SOLO for Monday and Tuesday due to a sick coworker, and because of the infernal bean counters, I've been DOWN my third coworker since October... Last year... :mad:
My coworker is only a few months in, and she was sick two days in a row. Me, I was out Friday, and now today.
There is a nasty bug going around. I've had a head cold since last month, and occasionally have kidney stones.
"You seem to be calling in sick a lot"

NO KIDDING!!! Just like EVERYONE ELSE!!! :huh:

So... You know what else is a problem...
My heat at my apartment isn't working. I've not had the heat on yet this fall.
Temps dropped to a consistent sub 0°C/32°F this past week... Overnight temps are expected to reach as low as -11°C/11°F tomorrow night...
Messaged my landlord this morning... Still no response. :/

I baked an apple pie last night, just for the heat.
It's so cold, that I keep having to reheat my chicken soup, cause it gets cold before I can finish it.

43 minutes ago, razark said:

Those guys aren't always very computer literate, either.

Tell me about it.

A colleague was having some problems with the POS (the credit card thing), so he calls me for help. I'm at the other side of the company, with more stuff to do than I can count, but I realize it is most likely one of those "turn it off and on again" types of problems, so I tell him to unplug it from the mains, wait for 10 seconds and plug it back in.

15 minutes later, he walks up to me and says: "I don't know how to do that."

"Do what?"

"Turn off the POS."

"Darn it, you're still doing that?"

Anyway, both of us go to the store, a customer is alone in there with about $100 000 worth of easily "borrowed" merchandise, the cash register PC is turned off and the POS is still happily turned on.

My colleague says: "I don't know which cord is it supposed to be."

Just to clarify, there are three cords going to the POS, one is a curly fixed telephone style one (if anybody still remembers those) that goes to the little numpad where customers punch in their PIN. It's instantly recognizable as not being a power cable. Two other cables are a LAN cable going into a network switch and the power cable itself. Not really too hard to follow those two cables and see that one leads to an AC adapter.

Despite clear instructions that really can't get any simpler and the fix taking literally 15 seconds to do, with additional 15 seconds for POS to reboot, I need to waste my time walking all over the company, twice.

I don't even work IT.

7 minutes ago, razark said:

No thanks, I've heard my share of calls.  And I've been listening to my coworker walk one of the folks in Florida through installing some software for the last 55 minutes.  And looks like this will continue for a while longer.

(In this case, however, it's the software, not the user.)

I actually liked working tech support.  Having a variety of problems to solve and a (mostly) good group of people to work with is good.  Phone calls and management were the main problems.

I think if all I did was tech support I would be a lot happier with my job. (Neglecting for the moment that I've been in IT for over 20 years at this point and I'm still doing tech support.) The problem is that I get assigned big ongoing projects with deadlines. But I'm still doing tech support. So I'm working on the project, then I get a help desk call, so I can't work on the project anymore. Then I spend all day working on help desk calls. Then the next day I'm all, "Where the Hell was I on the project?" Just as I'm getting back into the project, here comes another help desk call. Or I'll get one really nasty help desk call that takes all day, or a couple of days, to solve. Or some other system I'm responsible for falls over and catches fire, so I'm off the project for a day or two while I'm trying to get that fixed (and keep up with the help desk tickets at the same time). Or the CIO calls and says, "Drop everything! This is really important!" So I wind up doing his nonsense for a day or two. And this kind of stuff just keeps happening over and over. (All while I keep getting help desk calls.) And, before I know it, it's two or three months later and my boss is all, "Why is your project stalled!" Some people complain that they don't have one boss, they have two or three? I have about four hundred bosses. (That's how many people work on campus.) It gets old. I just wish it was more like most big IT shops: Get the ticket, work the ticket, close the ticket. Get the next ticket...

But, on the other hand, the checks don't bounce, I get silly amounts of time off, I have "shut up and pay the man" health insurance, and I get a real, honest-to-God pension plan. So, I put up with it. <shrug>

1 hour ago, Barzon Kerman said:

I hate creative writing. I have to write a short gothic story, and I'm setting it on a Titan base. 

Can anyone give me some help?

Reveal hidden contents

An abandoned base on Saturn’s largest moon, Titan. An asteroid collided with Titan, sending debris all over the Saturnian system, and severely damaging the base. However, a few months later, the DSN picked up a faint SOS signal originating near Titan. After much deliberation, the TEPES (Terran Extra-Planetary Exploration Service), decided to send a rescue mission.  

This is just backstory/setting, but I don't want to make it:
a. Way to hard for me to stick to the plot, (ADHD),

and b. I really don't want it to be corny!

You might want to start a new thread on this, while it is a complaint, you might get more attention with a new thread.

12 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

For now.

I'm not disagreeing with this. ASRS is in a better position than most state pension plans, but it isn't completely in the black either. Magic 8-Ball says: Cannot predict now.

I don't mind those in principle, it's just that I get too many articles from Express about the imminent "END of the WORLD because an ASTEROID the size of a CAR will pass LESS than 10 LUNAR distances from Earth."

22 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

too many articles from Express

On mine as well (not exactly, but some bonkers stuff for sure like The Sun or even youtube videos). You either just turn the damn thing off or fully open up all of your defenses so they know who you are and they become your defenses.

Edited by YNM

33 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

dump Chrome and use Firefox.

Unless you're on Android - the two are on par performance-wise, and the latest messing with white colors has made me switched to Firefox ; But then Firefox starts to mess up with their usual dark theme, and the biggest problem - some subtitling on Youtube in Firefox Android is absolute garbage as the left trim or right trim would just disappear off the webpage.

I use Firefox on Windows (7 and 10) and Linux (Kubuntu). My one only use of Chrome is just out of convenience.

Edited by YNM

Plumber was out to fix the heat yesterday.
Even felt heat in the floorboard radiator pipes over my lunch break yesterday...
I thought everything had been fixed...

This morning, it's 62°F / 16.6°C in my apartment... :mad:

On 11/9/2018 at 10:36 AM, YNM said:

Unless you're on Android - the two are on par performance-wise, and the latest messing with white colors has made me switched to Firefox ; But then Firefox starts to mess up with their usual dark theme, and the biggest problem - some subtitling on Youtube in Firefox Android is absolute garbage as the left trim or right trim would just disappear off the webpage.

I use Firefox on Windows (7 and 10) and Linux (Kubuntu). My one only use of Chrome is just out of convenience.

Yes, my phone runs Android (v5.1), although I've not seen any of the issues using Firefox that you're stating. As for the subtitling, I don't use it. Not sure about the theme; mine doesn't seem dark, and when it opens to a Google homepage it's so bright I tend to use it as a flashlight at night. You should be able to change the theme in Settings.

21 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

I had 3 teeth removed yesterdayy

Ouch.

A sign on a billboard I used to see on the highway read; "Ignore your teeth and they'll go away."

3 hours ago, richfiles said:

Plumber was out to fix the heat yesterday.
Even felt heat in the floorboard radiator pipes over my lunch break yesterday...
I thought everything had been fixed...

This morning, it's 62°F / 16.6°C in my apartment... :mad:

During winter, I keep the heat at 60°F at night, and 65°F during the day.

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

As for the subtitling, I don't use it.

Bad news when you want to watch something in another language.

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

Not sure about the theme; mine doesn't seem dark, and when it opens to a Google homepage it's so bright I tend to use it as a flashlight at night.

That's the problem. Call me a bat or anything but I really don't like (or get) black on white, I only get white on black except when it comes to physical paper (difficult to do the other way around, and it never shines anyway) or blackboard/whiteboard (still s*** if you have the wrong prescription).

My GPU has two DVI ports, an HDMI port, and a DisplayPort...port. 

For awhile now I've been running my main (middle) monitor off the HDMI, and the two side monitors off the DVI ports.  I recently got a passive DP to HDMI adapter to hook up the TV as a fourth monitor.

I'm not sure why, but my TV is being... problematic.

Up until now it's been happy just having an Xbox plugged into HDMI 1.  So I plug my computer into HDMI 2.

Nothing displayed, but my computer sees the TV, and even set position, resolution, etc.

So I plug my laptop into the TV on HDMI 2.  Nothing, but the laptop sees the TV just like the desktop.

Unplug Xbox and plug Laptop in HDMI 1.  Display!

So I plug my Xbox into HDMI 2 and my desktop into HDMI 1.  Nothing on either end.  HDMI 2 just has to be dead, right?

Plug Xbox back into HDMI 1.  Nothing.  I can't get anything on anything now.

;.;

Steam's browser is not working at all for me. That means that I'm not able to download any content using Steam, buy new games, read up on something, etc.
I guess I need to reinstall Steam entirely?

Edited by Delay

53 minutes ago, Delay said:

Steam's browser is not working at all for me. That means that I'm not able to download any content using Steam, buy new games, read up on something, etc.
I guess I need to reinstall Steam entirely?

I had a game preview vid lock up and give me that problem a couple of months ago. I logged entirely out of Steam and back in and that fixed it. 

2 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

I logged entirely out of Steam and back in and that fixed it. 

I have had (English tenses are also a complaint of mine) this problem for quite some time now, actually. But it really became a serious annoyance yesterday because I can't download Portal 2 maps anymore! :mad:

4 minutes ago, Fraston said:

Simplerockets 2 is out and everyone thinks it's better than KSP. It's not, alright folks, ITS NOT!

Very true! KSP will always be better, both because of the community and the mods!

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space
Just removing an annoying gap by accidentally quoting a space