Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

On 8/24/2018 at 1:01 PM, kerbiloid said:

She ate a coyote and still was hungry?!

I just walked by our cat in the hallway, and I asked her, "So, eat any coyotes lately?" Got a laugh from the wife and kids. Still getting mileage out of this one. :)

Here in New England, we have some absolutely great weather for Thanksgiving. Clear and gorgeously sunny skies, no chance of rain...

...and temperatures that won’t get above 20 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Today is WAY too cold for this time of year. The high won’t get any higher than 20 F (-6.7 C) with winds chills as low as 6 F (-14.4 C). Things will get even worse later today, with temperatures dropping to as low as 10 F (-12.2 C), and wind chills may get close to 0 F (-17.8 C). Seriously, it’s only November. Why is it now as cold as January here?!

I was cleaning out my living space earlier, preparing for all the crap that I'll have to shove in every nook and cranny from Christmas. The problem is I can't tell what to throw away and what to keep for memories.

Edited by Kernel Kraken

11 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I was cleaning out my living space earlier, preparing for all the crap that I'll have to shove in every nook and cranny from Christmas.

Santa owes you twice this year.

11 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

The problem is I can't tell what to throw away and what to keep for memories.

Leave this under the bed. How do you think, where does Santa take his gifts? Maybe he'll take something.

Edited by kerbiloid

I left my laptop out in the living room, on and plugged in, Thursday night.  It shared an outlet with one of those airwick fragrance things.

My wife and daughter set up the Christmas tree while I was at work yesterday.  Since that's the only convenient outlet for the the tree, something needed to be unplugged.

Guess which one they picked? :huh:

8 minutes ago, Delay said:

Was there anything important done on the laptop at that moment? Or was it just on for the sake of being on?

I think it had a paused KSP running.

But that's not really the point.  She chose to unplug my laptop and just let it die.  Countless other outlets she could have plugged it into.  Or, I dunno, UNPLUGGED THE SMELLY THING.

2 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

But that's not really the point.

Oh, that's what I thought.
I thought you had some really important stuff processed/running on the laptop that should not be interrupted, and she (unknowingly) did.

19 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I was cleaning out my living space earlier, preparing for all the crap that I'll have to shove in every nook and cranny from Christmas. The problem is I can't tell what to throw away and what to keep for memories.

I have a simple system that does the deciding for me:
It gets chucked if:
- I expect not to use it use again
- I haven't used it for more than 2 years

The problem I have is deciding to actually clean up the clutter. I guess I should do something about my mess as well.

Tomorrow, I promise.

1 minute ago, Shpaget said:

Tomorrow, I promise.

Same thing I said about doing some physics, hw and cleaning my room over the past breaks.

I really should get to it....

21 hours ago, Delay said:

I thought you had some really important

Aren't 4 kerbal lives stuck in mid-space  really important?!

18 hours ago, qzgy said:

Same thing I said about doing some physics, hw and cleaning my room over the past breaks.

The law of the chaos resistance.

Don't you know that you can't decrease entropy?

On 11/23/2018 at 6:44 PM, XB-70A said:

Driving is exhausting... and I slightly start to have enough of it. Even more when you are surrounded by snails and old-timers.

Y4iQXIv.jpg

Rpf8EvN.jpg 

AsDoDqz.jpg

The one thing that unites us all, right or left, male, female, black, white, gay, straight, is that we all think we are good drivers.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Aren't 4 kerbal lives stuck in mid-space  really important?!

Good point.

I tried plugging in a microphone today. And that came with a lot of problems:
- The microphone comes with a USB adapter that, when used, causes the computer to ignore the audio and microphone ports and only tries reading from the USB port.
- While the adapter also features an audio plug, I have both speakers and a headset (the audio portion) leading to the same plug. In total, microphone and audio are too thick to fit next to each other.
- The microphone port at the back of my PC seems to be broken, so if I want to use the microphone I have to use the USB port.

While those problems could be fixed, the main and biggest problem I have right now is that the microphone is very quiet, even through the USB. I don't know if I'm just not loud enough or something needs to be configured. Sure, I could just increase the volume, but that would amplify all sounds, including unwanted background noises.

Movies.
And water.

The history of the world cinema is splitted in two parts by a crack deep as an abyss:
Before and after sound films
Before and after colored films
Before and after digital films
(Organic waste), no!
Before and after some (censored and censored censored) has added the "swimming in deep water look from below" effect into the videoeditors or what's that.

Since Vikings (or maybe I just hadn't seen it before) every second movie necessarily contains that "hero(es) is wallowing in deep dark water with a light above, and we look from beneath, oh, my (rear part) how symbolic!"

Edited by kerbiloid

Found out today that we are handing our laptops in on Thursday, and they are getting replaced by new ones when we come back to school next year. Now I have to transfer everything to OneDrive and on a USB, and I won't be able to use my laptop (so only KSP enhanced edition, Discord on my phone and iPad, and like no art). Happy holidays everyone...

38 minutes ago, Delay said:

Strange.

The microphone I mentioned yesterday does work on a different computer, just not on mine. I don't what it could be. Drivers, the port - it could be anything right now.

Woohoo! Hardware issues!

Your issue sounds familiar....I cant quite put my finger on it though....I think updating drivers should be first. But I definitely remember having the same "no other ports work when this mic is plugged in thing" and the super quiet recording thing...

Oh, make sure the USB port you are using is a powered one, USB ports dont all provide power. A mic I think needs some power to be sensitive, but will slightly work without. I think. Worth a look anyway.

I take it its a desktop? Double check those tiny cables on the motherboard that go on those individual electrode spikes are arranged correctly, i've messed up an audio port that way before.

Edited by p1t1o

My employer... ugh... Coworker has had a "rash" on her arms for a month that has been getting worse. Company trying to figure out why. Bought her longer gloves. That failed to fix it. Tried changing the soap we use... Nope... All the while "We'll figure this out", and "It's just a little rash. You don't need a doctor for that."...

Well, she couldn't take it, and yesterday it escalated to unbearable. She left in the middle of the work day to finally go to the doctor...

Coworker: "I've had this rash for about a month now..."
Doc interrupts her: "That's no rash... Those are chemical burns."

:huh:

Welp! I'm now down my Coworker for probably over 80% of tasks (she can't get her arms wet), right as I lead up to next week, when I'm supposed to pull a crunch to work extra hours for my second job (good luck with me leaving this job at a reasonable time now...), all while we STILL have no clue how it even happened... I gotta jump in and put in my 130% now... Ugh...

I told my coworker "never trust this company's medical advise. I regret, to this day, falling for their... how shall I say... bovine excrement... and "waiting" for their occupational therapist... who simply "cleared me as being fine, and okay to work", when I literally couldn't operate my shoulder with enough force to even button my own pants... I regret not immediately going to the doctor and sending them the bill. I kept asking how to do the billing (I didn't have insurance back then), and they kept dodging an answer... To this day, my shoulder is not at 100%...

1 hour ago, richfiles said:

My employer... ugh... Coworker has had a "rash" on her arms for a month that has been getting worse. Company trying to figure out why. Bought her longer gloves. That failed to fix it. Tried changing the soap we use... Nope... All the while "We'll figure this out", and "It's just a little rash. You don't need a doctor for that."...

Well, she couldn't take it, and yesterday it escalated to unbearable. She left in the middle of the work day to finally go to the doctor...

Coworker: "I've had this rash for about a month now..."
Doc interrupts her: "That's no rash... Those are chemical burns."

:huh:

Welp! I'm now down my Coworker for probably over 80% of tasks (she can't get her arms wet), right as I lead up to next week, when I'm supposed to pull a crunch to work extra hours for my second job (good luck with me leaving this job at a reasonable time now...), all while we STILL have no clue how it even happened... I gotta jump in and put in my 130% now... Ugh...

I told my coworker "never trust this company's medical advise. I regret, to this day, falling for their... how shall I say... bovine excrement... and "waiting" for their occupational therapist... who simply "cleared me as being fine, and okay to work", when I literally couldn't operate my shoulder with enough force to even button my own pants... I regret not immediately going to the doctor and sending them the bill. I kept asking how to do the billing (I didn't have insurance back then), and they kept dodging an answer... To this day, my shoulder is not at 100%...

Are the chemical burns work related? Like is the assumption they occurred at work? Because if so - and my job is industrial chemical safety - this is a really, really big deal. Like temporarily shut down the plant until we fire the right person big. She might even be liable.

If its not work related then...well then everythings fine, excepting the untraced chemical burns that is.

On 11/25/2018 at 9:52 PM, Kernel Kraken said:

we all think we are good drivers.

A truly good person don't drive and rides public transport.

(tell them to get one if there isn't one.)

10 hours ago, richfiles said:

chemical burns

Months long ? I wonder what the chemicals are... I thought if you have a burn it'd be over reeally quickly or so ?

We are thinking that it was a rash (for the past month), as appearance and symptoms (itching) were always consistent, till yesterday, when something entirely different was being done, and the area where the rash was suddenly showed much worse symptoms. One ongoing theory is that some of either the pH balancing acid (Hydrochloric Acid) or the base (Sodium Hydroxide) may have been spilled on the removable cart panel. The panel was being washed when the burn occurred, and the sink was not very full of water. There was so little water in the sink that the coworker had decided to add water to the sink to submerge a 1.5 inch thick (3-4 cm) panel. If the acid or base on the panel touched her skin (the underside of the arms) and water splashed on it, it's possible that could have given it the opportunity to burn the already inflamed area more easily. It's also possible that there could have been acid or base transferred to the ledge of the sink, where her arms would have rested while washing (she's kinda short). As for the initial inflammation, it had previously been theorized that the detergent we use was causing it, and it had been healing well since we stopped using it... People unfamiliar with our area worked there last Thursday for the Thanksgiving holiday, and DID use that detergent in our area, and her irritation had come back.

So, TL;DR version... The current theory is that the unexpected return of the detergent reignited her inflammation, and that possibly spilled pH balancing chemicals (either Hydrochloric acid or Sodium Hydroxide) were previously spilled on the cart panels. The burn happened while the panels were being washed. We suspect the already inflamed skin was the most sensitive, and reacted most readily.

The good news, is it's already healing well, and she might only be on restrictions for a week, not a month.

Meeting tomorrow... Sooooooo.....

Edited by richfiles