Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

I once more wish to complain about how little complaining there is going on in the complaining thread. 

Quit complaining. You should be happier there is one thing less to do.

EDIT: I guess I just complained. ^_^

Edited by GDJ

10 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

how little complaining there is going on in the complaining thread. 

Theres something a bit beautiful about this :)

Err...I mean, ugh - the world eh? Amirite? ;)

18 minutes ago, Delay said:

Firefox really like to interpret search queries as URLs.
So I'm typing in "string.h" and it tries a URL, rather than just listing the Google results.

And there doesn't seem to be an option to turn that off.

What if you put it in quotes?

2 hours ago, Delay said:

So I'm typing in "string.h" and it tries a URL, rather than just listing the Google results.

When it ends with ".anything" it treats this like an URL.

(I mean period)

Try to add something after "string.h":  "string.h string"

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, Delay said:

Since it shows Google results when it decides to actually do what I want it to do: Does Google even work correctly when you use quotation marks?

Queries between quotation marks in Google (and many other search engines) are interpreted as "literals." The engine's fuzzy comparation is suspended, and it will search for that exact phrase.

3 hours ago, Delay said:

And there doesn't seem to be an option to turn that off.

Easy solution: Start the line with a question mark, or include a space somewhere in the query. Also, at least on my system, the search option is just below the address option.

16 hours ago, Delay said:

Search from the search bar, or select the dropdown option to search rather than parse as URL.

T O O T H A C H E

Had a wisdom tooth out last week and have been in a constant state of 5minute intense toothache (in nearby teeth) every half hour or so, sometimes a couple hours of respite if Im lucky. Codeine barely touches it.

Got another appt on Friday so hopefully can get it resolved then but damn. Ow. OwOwOw.

One of my favorite memes:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8c-XsaH1zM-8UettIe-G

Edited by p1t1o

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

T O O T H A C H E

Had a wisdom tooth out last week and have been in a constant state of 5minute intense toothache (in nearby teeth) every half hour or so, sometimes a couple hours of respite if Im lucky. Codeine barely touches it.

Got another appt on Friday so hopefully can get it resolved then but damn. Ow. OwOwOw.

One of my favorite memes:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8c-XsaH1zM-8UettIe-G

Ugh. I had my wisdom teeth out when I was in the Navy. (Because you can't go to sea with your wisdom teeth.) They took out the two lowers. (Because apparently my two uppers don't exist. 30 years later, they still don't even show up on x-rays.) The dentist tells me before the procedure: "If you have any pain just grunt or gesture and I'll do something about it." So she shoots me up with Novocaine, puts the blocks in and has at it. Left tooth took about two minutes. Slit the gum, cracked it in half, pulled out the two halves, packed the socket, done. The right tooth was another story. She was pushing and pulling and grinding and digging trying to get it out. It was excruciating. I kept moaning and groaning, and every time I made a noise she would dutifully stop and shoot my gum with another shot of Novocaine. Finally after about fifteen minutes and four or five shots she gets exasperated, pulls out the blocks, and asks, "What is going on?" I said, "It feels like you're trying to pull my jaw off of my face." She looks at me for a second, then says, "Well, there's nothing I can do about that." Puts the blocks back in, keeps going. After almost half an hour, she finally gets it out. My entire face from the cheeks down was numb from the Novocaine. True to form, they gave me some Tylenol and sent me back to barracks for the rest of the day. I was back at work the next morning.

The best part was, after the Novocaine wore off my right cheek from the center of my chin to about halfway to my ear was still numb. I went back to sick call a couple of days later about it and they were all, "Oh, yeah, you probably have some nerve damage from the wisdom tooth removal. It might come back, it might not. Nothing we can do about it. Anything else?" I finally did get sensation back there. Three years later.

Gotta love Navy medicine! LOL

Oh, man, third country money just SUCKS!
I mean, every time I decide to try and make some Paypal donations or Patreon to a few mod-makers, I realize that the "lot of money" I´d like to support´em ends up less than a tip due to the ridiculous monetary/current exchange....

Third world money is BAD for gamers! :mad:

3 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Because you can't go to sea with your wisdom teeth

Huh... what if I already have a full set and it's OK ?

3 hours ago, Cataclism said:

Third world money is BAD

It's just the different living cost & purchasing power. One can easily get through the day with only 2-3 USD where I live.

Edited by YNM

1 minute ago, YNM said:

Huh... what if I already have a full set and it's OK ?

I knew guys whose wisdom teeth were either erupting fine with no impaction or complications or whose wisdom teeth were not erupting at all. (My left was just starting to poke through and was slightly impacted, my right was barely visible on the x-rays.) The Navy didn't care. If your wisdom teeth were visible on the x-rays, they came out. Apparently the logic was that they didn't want to have any risk of complications developing while you were at sea where there are no dentists.

4 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I knew guys whose wisdom teeth were either erupting fine with no impaction or complications or whose wisdom teeth were not erupting at all. (My left was just starting to poke through and was slightly impacted, my right was barely visible on the x-rays.) The Navy didn't care. If your wisdom teeth were visible on the x-rays, they came out. Apparently the logic was that they didn't want to have any risk of complications developing while you were at sea where there are no dentists.

What...

Contrary to a lot of commonality (it's often said that people only have their wisdom teeth around 20 yrs old), I have had my wisdom teeth (that's a whole set of 4) since I was 15, and it's OK. That's 6 years of absolutely no problem whatsoever. And it already grown fully.

Remind me not to get into your navy then.

Edited by YNM

Windows 10 is doing an update. Hence me posting from my phone.  Sigh.

It tells me ‘don’t turn off your computer’ before promptly turning off by itself. And tomorrow when I turn it on it will continue to go about its update-y way because it prevented itself from updating the previous night :huh:

Okay, so I figured out why the steam browser doesn't work anymore.
Basically SteamWebHelper.exe is looking for a dll file which doesn't exist anymore. Consequently it doesn't start.

Next question: How do I get it working?

15 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

The Navy removes the wisdom teeth because nobody should be wiser than a commander.

So, you can easily distinguish him between the sailors, he is the only one wearing wisdom teeth. Like a walrus.

Bah. If there is one thing I learned in the Navy, it's that the people in charge pull their pants on one leg at at time just like the rest of us.

8 hours ago, YNM said:

Dealing with 90,000 data... manually. In Excel.

My eyes hurt.

I am constantly having to remind my users, some of whom are supposedly IT professionals, that Excel is not a database. 

Edited by TheSaint

1 minute ago, TheSaint said:

Bah. If there is one thing I learned in the Navy, it's that the people in charge pull their pants on one leg at at time just like the rest of us.

And that's how the wisdom teeth can help with their proper recognition.

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Okay, so I figured out why the steam browser doesn't work anymore.
Basically SteamWebHelper.exe is looking for a dll file which doesn't exist anymore. Consequently it doesn't start.

Next question: How do I get it working?

Is it a Steam-sounding dll or a Windows-sounding one?

If it's a Steam one:
Uninstall and reinstall Steam. This should get you the new dll.

If it's a Windows one:
I don't know. You can probably find a copy online, or you might be able to trigger a repair action somehow.