Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Replace it with Firefox

Not necessarily works - if the underlying problem is with the apple browser engine then Firefox is likely to also uses it and make the same faults.

45 minutes ago, YNM said:

Not necessarily works - if the underlying problem is with the apple browser engine then Firefox is likely to also uses it and make the same faults.

Man I can remember a time when browsing the Internet wasn't a system-critical service relegated to the operating system.

(Note this is on topic, because I'm complaining about it ;) )

Edited by 5thHorseman

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

I can remember a time when browsing the Internet wasn't a system-critical service relegated to the operating system.

Well, some of us will remember the Teletext, BBSes and early chat stuff...

8 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Got to work this morning to wrap up production for the Christmas break, and the power was out. So now we get to try it again tomorrow morning.

A lifehack.
If turn off the power for the Christmas break, nobody will see if the production is wrapped up, because it's dark.
This also saves time on the further wrapping down.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 12/23/2018 at 8:01 AM, Delay said:

The SpaceX livestream just started, after one hour of having the window open.

Suddenly my dad comes in and thinks that now is the appropriate time to replace our router.

Well yeah, whenever it is most inconvenient for the kids is the best time to do those things.

As for my complaint, the other night we were in a reverse draw at the Ram dealership for a $10k prize. I was getting myself all prepped to loudly say "Doh!" when our name was called, especially when it was down to the final twenty contestants (who received consolation gift bags). But I was a little annoyed that I never got to say it, because they never called our name until the final three, who all agreed to split the prize. So I didn't get to win the 10k, but I guess winning $3335 overshadows my small complaint.:ph34r::cool:

"The lab will be closing at noon today, so once we finish up our work, we can all head out early..."

"That one lady" that is an absolute workaholic ( We're talking daily 10-12 hour shifts, even on weekends, and I'm pretty sure she might actually secretly be a machine in disguise) asked me to turn off the lights when she left. Before me. :huh:

Literally, the last person out of the building. At 5:17 PM... My SUPERVISOR left sometime just after 3! :mad:

======

So, that was my complaint, but I do at least have a few things to be thankful for...
Don't worry... I'll mix complaints into it, so it's topical. :sticktongue:

Last month, one of my uncles appeared to have a stroke... and the MORON he's married to didn't "get" how serious his symptoms were... You know... Inability to move one side, incoherent speech, etc... Decided to see if he improved by the morning and get in touch with his brother to see what he thought... The second I'd found out she WAITED overnight... I'd pretty much given up any and all hope for a recovery... I was in tears, and was shaking I was so furious with her stupidity. I think the best name for what I was feeling would be "impotent rage"... The absolute inability to do a darn thing about an utterly helpless situation that anyone involved BUT me might have had any influence over... Once I composed myself, I actually methodically plotted out on Google maps the exact distance between me and her, JUST so I could say "it's a good thing there's 1134 miles between me and her right now" (1824 km)  :mad: I suppose, it was a distraction in that moment. Something to do other than worry and utterly DESPAIR at the thought that there was no hope...

Well, it was a hellish month. The worry and all... But interestingly enough, despite the severity of symptoms, by some miracle, the long term effects don't seem to be nearly as profound. I don't know how or why, but he's already in physical therapy, is coherent and talking, and was even released to home care! He's not out of the woods yet, but its FAR MORE than anyone in the family ever thought possible! Thank God he's recovering! Modern medicine is an incredible thing, but that level of recovery had to be at the edge of the bell curve!

My complaint... Should be self evident... Stupidity is not acceptable in such situations. It's not his first stroke even, so she should have KNOWN BETTER... She was just that stoopid™

I'm also thankful for an unexpected Christmas gift!

On an N-scale model railroad forum, someone started a thread titled "What would you like to see manufacturers run for 2019". In this thread, someone posted "A BL-2 with sound". For reference, modern model locomotives can be purchased with DCC controllers, allowing digital commands to be sent through the rails to command individual locomotives, rather than the old way, where you divided your track into electrically isolated "blocks", and just powered different blocks to power whatever locomotives were on that block, in a completely analog fashion. Sound refers to a DCC controller with a speaker and flash memory to store sound samples of the real locomotive the model is based on. The digital controller simulates the sounds of starting and stopping the engine, idling, revving up, applying brakes, blowing the horn or whistle, or ringing the bell, and so on... Some DCC sound controllers are so detailed, that they simulate little things like the air compressors that charge the air supply for the  air brake sand such, or simulate radio chatter. It's actually pretty amazing they can pack all that inside a model with a frame as little as 8-12mm wide! Modern technology is an incredible thing, but that level of tech is expensive... Not cause it's actually expensive, but because it's a captive market.

My complaint... The flash memory is a <$1 part, and the microcontroller is <$5, even in single quantities... I bet the whole board costs under $15-20 to make, but costs $85 to me. Really hoping the open source community steps up! They've already got the control station and track power, plus accessory decoders figured out... Just need locomotive scale decoders now, both with and without sound functionality.

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent. Back to the BL-2. I'd never HEARD of the BL-2 before. It HAD to be notorious, cause people immediately started posting comments like "What would a BL-2 with sound even sound like? "I'm ugly, get it over it. I'm ugly, get over it. I'm ugly, get over it."." Another guy started making jokes about needing to run to the toilet to barf. So... Now I NEEDED to see how bad this stinker must be...

Spoiler

WuPDycb.jpg

I... You know... I kinda like it! It's unique! It's totally retro! Love how the curves and lines on this create that enormous aerofoil shape on the side trim! And that cab looks incredibly roomy! Must have been nice to ride in! Everything about this screams 1940s, and indeed, it was built initially in 1948. For whatever reason, a lot of people don't dig this design though. It's kind of a hybrid transition between the old E and F series streamliners, and the more blunt ended and narrow bodied GP freight series. Honestly, I liked it, and I said so on that thread!

So, queue the following day. I was behind on assembling circuit boards for my other job... It SUCKED!!! I was tired, and it was 3 in the morning, and I still had at least an hour of work left, and I NEEDED to deliver them that day! I was SO tired... But then I see a notification that someone on the modeling forum PMed me. I click it and read the message...

Some dude from France had read my comment. He tells me that he has a few BL-2s and that he had one he doesn't really run anymore, and since it was Christmas, he decided he was gonna send it to me! He told me not to worry about postage, that he'd cover everything, 'cause Christmas. It was a gift from one modeler to another! I was thrilled! I thanked him at least three times in two paragraphs responding!

My complaint, besides the SUPER LATE night of work... The world has left me so cynical about people, that I kept wondering... This isn't some scam is it? Dude never asked me for any money or any bank info, just where to ship it. Legit, just gifted me a model locomotive, all cause I stood up against the flow and said, "I kinda like this thing. It's unique. Now I wish I had one." I almost feel bad for thinking that, especially regarding such a kind gesture. World is a screwy place, I tells ya! Sometimes, you just gotta stop worrying, and just appreciate it.

Edited by richfiles
Checks and checks to proofread... Misses misspelling in the FIRST SENTENCE... There was so much more wrong... /)-_-

GOST 28147-89 “Magma”

Combined with an e-signature, it’s supposed to be an easy way to file your taxes. At 2 AM yesterday, after spending hours setting up the trial version of the sole FSB-certified clientsaide encryptor, I’ve realized that the Federal Tax Service has managed to issue us a cloud-based key while giving instructions for setting up a system with a clientside .cer file.

Their tech support only recieves requests in writing, with a response period of at least 15 days. Many maternal insults were issued, the project was put on hold, and a printer has been warmed up instead.

Don't ever buy anything from DrunkMunk.  It's absolute garbage.

I don't mind getting super-mass-produced trash when I buy something really cheap on eBay, but for $50 I expected the best hoodie I've ever seen.

Waited a month for a present for my brother, and now my daughter can't give him his gift on Friday.  So now I have to battle the gift-returner crowd.

:mad:

On 12/24/2018 at 9:36 PM, richfiles said:

"The lab will be closing at noon today, so once we finish up our work, we can all head out early..."

"That one lady" that is an absolute workaholic ( We're talking daily 10-12 hour shifts, even on weekends, and I'm pretty sure she might actually secretly be a machine in disguise) asked me to turn off the lights when she left. Before me. :huh:

Literally, the last person out of the building. At 5:17 PM... My SUPERVISOR left sometime just after 3! :mad:

======

So, that was my complaint, but I do at least have a few things to be thankful for...
Don't worry... I'll mix complaints into it, so it's topical. :sticktongue:

Last month, one of my uncles appeared to have a stroke... and the MORON he's married to didn't "get" how serious his symptoms were... You know... Inability to move one side, incoherent speech, etc... Decided to see if he improved by the morning and get in touch with his brother to see what he thought... The second I'd found out she WAITED overnight... I'd pretty much given up any and all hope for a recovery... I was in tears, and was shaking I was so furious with her stupidity. I think the best name for what I was feeling would be "impotent rage"... The absolute inability to do a darn thing about an utterly helpless situation that anyone involved BUT me might have had any influence over... Once I composed myself, I actually methodically plotted out on Google maps the exact distance between me and her, JUST so I could say "it's a good thing there's 1134 miles between me and her right now" (1824 km)  :mad: I suppose, it was a distraction in that moment. Something to do other than worry and utterly DESPAIR at the thought that there was no hope...

Well, it was a hellish month. The worry and all... But interestingly enough, despite the severity of symptoms, by some miracle, the long term effects don't seem to be nearly as profound. I don't know how or why, but he's already in physical therapy, is coherent and talking, and was even released to home care! He's not out of the woods yet, but its FAR MORE than anyone in the family ever thought possible! Thank God he's recovering! Modern medicine is an incredible thing, but that level of recovery had to be at the edge of the bell curve!

My complaint... Should be self evident... Stupidity is not acceptable in such situations. It's not his first stroke even, so she should have KNOWN BETTER... She was just that stoopid™

I'm also thankful for an unexpected Christmas gift!

On an N-scale model railroad forum, someone started a thread titled "What would you like to see manufacturers run for 2019". In this thread, someone posted "A BL-2 with sound". For reference, modern model locomotives can be purchased with DCC controllers, allowing digital commands to be sent through the rails to command individual locomotives, rather than the old way, where you divided your track into electrically isolated "blocks", and just powered different blocks to power whatever locomotives were on that block, in a completely analog fashion. Sound refers to a DCC controller with a speaker and flash memory to store sound samples of the real locomotive the model is based on. The digital controller simulates the sounds of starting and stopping the engine, idling, revving up, applying brakes, blowing the horn or whistle, or ringing the bell, and so on... Some DCC sound controllers are so detailed, that they simulate little things like the air compressors that charge the air supply for the  air brake sand such, or simulate radio chatter. It's actually pretty amazing they can pack all that inside a model with a frame as little as 8-12mm wide! Modern technology is an incredible thing, but that level of tech is expensive... Not cause it's actually expensive, but because it's a captive market.

My complaint... The flash memory is a <$1 part, and the microcontroller is <$5, even in single quantities... I bet the whole board costs under $15-20 to make, but costs $85 to me. Really hoping the open source community steps up! They've already got the control station and track power, plus accessory decoders figured out... Just need locomotive scale decoders now, both with and without sound functionality.

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent. Back to the BL-2. I'd never HEARD of the BL-2 before. It HAD to be notorious, cause people immediately started posting comments like "What would a BL-2 with sound even sound like? "I'm ugly, get it over it. I'm ugly, get over it. I'm ugly, get over it."." Another guy started making jokes about needing to run to the toilet to barf. So... Now I NEEDED to see how bad this stinker must be...

Reveal hidden contents

WuPDycb.jpg

I... You know... I kinda like it! It's unique! It's totally retro! Love how the curves and lines on this create that enormous aerofoil shape on the side trim! And that cab looks incredibly roomy! Must have been nice to ride in! Everything about this screams 1940s, and indeed, it was built initially in 1948. For whatever reason, a lot of people don't dig this design though. It's kind of a hybrid transition between the old E and F series streamliners, and the more blunt ended and narrow bodied GP freight series. Honestly, I liked it, and I said so on that thread!

So, queue the following day. I was behind on assembling circuit boards for my other job... It SUCKED!!! I was tired, and it was 3 in the morning, and I still had at least an hour of work left, and I NEEDED to deliver them that day! I was SO tired... But then I see a notification that someone on the modeling forum PMed me. I click it and read the message...

Some dude from France had read my comment. He tells me that he has a few BL-2s and that he had one he doesn't really run anymore, and since it was Christmas, he decided he was gonna send it to me! He told me not to worry about postage, that he'd cover everything, 'cause Christmas. It was a gift from one modeler to another! I was thrilled! I thanked him at least three times in two paragraphs responding!

My complaint, besides the SUPER LATE night of work... The world has left me so cynical about people, that I kept wondering... This isn't some scam is it? Dude never asked me for any money or any bank info, just where to ship it. Legit, just gifted me a model locomotive, all cause I stood up against the flow and said, "I kinda like this thing. It's unique. Now I wish I had one." I almost feel bad for thinking that, especially regarding such a kind gesture. World is a screwy place, I tells ya! Sometimes, you just gotta stop worrying, and just appreciate it.

So I have to ask after several long rants about your job, what on God's Green Earth do you do!?

I'm trying to make the beginnings of a standalone FPS game with the GZDoom source port of Doom. So far I've managed to get the application to recognize the new game. But I still need to figure out what to do so it'll actually run. Everything's in the pre-alpha stage, so to speak. The textures are solid colors, the only map is a square box, and I still can't figure out how to actually make a palette for the dang thing...

Sadly the G/ZDoom documentation seems to be somewhat lacking, so just setting it up to run something even as bare bones as this might take more effort than I'm willing to put in...

So I guess I'm complaining about the documentation. It's good for making simple mods that just add some maps or textures, even a few monsters. But not for establishing everything necessary for a game to load...

If and when I get to the point where I can actually develop content, I'll probably need a lot of help. I can't make music, nor sprites or textures. Sound effects may be an issue as well.

8 hours ago, tater said:

Home internet is Centurylink. Down in wide scale outage. Phone? Verizon, in and out of service today. Grrr.

StarLink sounding good about now? As long as you still have power. Still no power for 4,000 of the more remote (Gulf Islands) customers in my region after a windstorm a week ago. That was no problem here; we only lose power here when a car takes out the pole on the corner (twice in the last year)

On 12/26/2018 at 2:05 PM, Kernel Kraken said:

So I have to ask after several long rants about your job, what on God's Green Earth do you do!?

Two jobs. The one that I tend to rant about is a job at a testing lab. We test food, water, cosmetics, soil, and other goods and materials for all manner of contamination and characteristics... microbes, heavy metals, caloric content, etc I work in the microbiology department. My job includes preparing sterile media and sterilizing and disposing of tested samples. Basically, we prepare the sample containers by lining them, filling them with measured amounts of water, and adding the growth media to the containers. Those get loaded into an autoclave, which is basically a giant pressure cooker with a cart that roll into the chamber on rails. The media is sterilized to a temp of 122°C @ 17 PSI and then we store it. Other sections of the department add samples to the sterile containers and incubate them. after an incubation period, they take samples out of the containers and swab them on petri dishes for further incubation to do visual colony counts and microscopic examination, or they load them into specialized machines that can detect the presence of bacteria by detecting specific DNA markers directly. After testing, samples are returned to my department for sterilization and disposal. They are fed back into the autoclaves, which kills anything growing in them, and then they are disposed of. Food liquids and soft solids go into an in sink disposal, and solids go into the trash. We also clean the reusable glassware in my area.

The positives are that the job is very flexible in my hours, and there is a nearly nonexistent level of discipline or consequence over things like arrival time... As long as the work gets done, it's all good. I have NEVER in all my life seen anything like their level of flexibility... People have tried to quit (five times is one dude's personal record), and been retained with near pleading. In my five and half years there, I've only ever witnessed two firings... One over theft, and one over directly getting into an argument with an upper manager. As long as I come in sometime within the first half hour of when I'm expected to be there, all's good. If I somehow sleep through my seven alarms (yes... I'm not a morning person), or something comes up and I don't call in, I'll generally get a call asking if I'm coming in or if I'm feeling well. The department manager has always been flexible with start times, cause as long as things get done by the end of the day, it's all good. If it takes me an extra 5 minutes to scrape the ice off my car, I never sweat it. If I need to run to the bank before work, I just do it. If I wake up groggy and just can't get moving... And I take an extra 10 minutes to get ready... Oh well. They often times have let other people shift their usual start time by 40-50 minutes, just to let them work around taking kids to school, and such. They've always been so flexible! Theres also the issue of overall job security. When there are only ever 2-3 people in your area, and you have the most knowledge and experience, and the job itself is not manufacturing, but service, and much of it testing for government standards... You can be assured that save for a tornado or flood leveling the place... There will be work the next morning. The company is growing, though they are doing so at the expense of things like... Oh, employee raises and edging more work out of the same workforce without adding new people. They rely heavily on the seasonal interns that come out of the college in town, or migrating the soil lab workers into other areas during the frozen season. The issues seem to stem from new people at the top level. I won't discuss the details of internal things like that here (nor will I ever discuss customers or goods tested). The past year has been incredibly trying... I've definitely been burned out, and the work and hours have been crazy lately... but that confidence in knowing my job is secure is very overpowering. That's why I put up with it. If I didn't vent, I'd probably go crazy. :confused:

My second job is actually much older, and carries over as a direct successor of my original career. After I graduated college, I started working for an electric motor manufacturer called Motion Control Group (MCG, formerly QMC - Quality Motion Controls). I specifically worked for their Tachtronic Instruments division (TACHtronic, not to be confused with TEKtronix), which specialized in DOD/Aerospace motors and synchros. In 2006, the TA division was brought back into the main MGG building. In 2007, a company called AMETEK bought MCG and by 2008, announced they would close our plant and move the products they wanted to keep out to North Carolina and Pennsylvania. My last day there was at the end of September of 2009, right as the worst of the economic recession was happening. I got a job at Gamestop two days later, and worked there for peanuts and video games till that store closed in January of 2015. Seriously though... I was there for the discount! :P One of my supervisors at MCG had seen the writing on the wall and had built his own machine shop a couple miles out of town, on his country property. The shop was basically a miniature version of MCG. Much of what they did, he could do, just at a smaller scale. He acquired a few products from AMETEK that they didn't care for taking, and he hired me once he started operation in January of 2010. That job is GREAT! Much of the work, I am able to do from home, in my own workshop. I get paid $20 an hour to solder stuff. If it were full time, or even part time with more consistent hours, It'd be a dream job, and the only one I'd need, but while business is booming right now, work isn't always consistent. It's entirely dependent on customers actually ordering product. I've gone as much as 4 MONTHS with no work from there at all. Granted, it's been a long time since that happened, but whether the customer will order more product after an existing order is fulfilled is always a gamble. I can't base my livelihood on it. I CAN make it into a GREAT supplemental income though.

The problem, is that when things ARE booming, and I can put 20+ hours into that job in a week, I have to consider that I'm already pushing 35-50 hours a week at the lab, and over the past year, a department that typically had 3-4 employees was being run by me and one newbie. That's it. It was grueling. I'd often put in 9-10 hour days, Monday through Saturday. They screwed up the schedule as well. Microbes don't take Sundays off, and we used to have a rotating schedule where you got alternating weekends and Mondays off, and at least one three day weekend each month. They ditched that because there were no longer enough employees in the department to distribute around that schedule anymore, so they just canned Sundays, and now we do two days of work on Mondays.  Cause, you know... Mondays needed to be WORSE than regular Mondays. :mad:

Rubbing salt in the wound, I'm technically only part time, by my choice. I'm on a good health insurance program right now. Problem is, I only qualify to buy into it because I don't qualify for any employer provided insurance. If I went full-time, I'd qualify for employer provided insurance, and no longer qualify for this decent insurance. It's worth it to me to give up other full time benefits, for good insurance. Problem is, it feels like the company almost goes out of it's way to take advantage of my part time status. They push more and more hours out of me, ask me to come in earlier and leave later... But I don't get PTO or any benefits matching. I don't get holiday pay. None of that. Even my bonus his year... I've put in more hours than i've ever worked before in my life. I've bent over backwards for them... But my bonus was less than 1/3 of what others got, what full timers got. Was all my efforts not good enough!? I put in the same amount of labor. I'm just disgusted by it all.

And finally, it snowed, then rained, then snowed again... True to form, I did some off the clock testing. Turns out gravity still accelerates my backside toward the Earth at a rate of 9.8 m/s2, and the coefficient of friction is reduced when interface material is sub 0°C crystaline H2O, and the other material is my shoes. I broke my fall with my right knuckles and a bag of   chips   crumbs. Aside from trying to keep the  centimeter long wound on my knuckles from getting infected, the left front side of my abdomen, and my neck both feel like I pulled something... Ouch... :huh: