Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

23 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

... people become journalists because they know nothing at all.

I've actually had one such contemporary in my halo of acquaintances ...

... well, one shouldn't talk bad about absent people :rolleyes:

Complain 'bout stuff? 'K. 

AT&T "LTE" service here on the NorthWest side of Houston is so bad that I regularly have to disable it on my phone while I'm at work. They don't really have a "4G" network anymore, because their "4G" network was actually 3G+HSDPA, which they're in the process of retiring to make room for their "5G" network which is really just LTE built properly to spec plus some other niceness. So I effectively spend 9 hours a day in the blind. (Except somehow the phone still works so I still get those twice-thrice-quarta-hourly "neighborhood" spam robocalls.)

So... no music streaming. I've already unsubscribed from most of my music streaming services, because why throw money at them when you can throw it into a pit and set it on fire instead? This would be fine if I could remember to load music onto my phone or iPod before coming to work..... (Oh, and  you apparently can't load music from iTunes onto your iPod if you've subscribed to AppleMusic and iTunes Match, because it replaces most of your music with the "matched" AppleMusic copy that's keyed to keep it streaming only / off of your iPod.)

Is it too much to ask that things _just work_ like they used to? How did we get to a nice stable point and then mess everything up so badly in such a short stretch of time? (This is a rhetorical question.)

Edited by Cydonian Monk

7 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Complain 'bout stuff? 'K. 

AT&T "LTE" service here on the NorthWest side of Houston is so bad that I regularly have to disable it on my phone while I'm at work. They don't really have a "4G" network anymore, because their "4G" network was actually 3G+HSDPA, which they're in the process of retiring to make room for their "5G" network which is really just LTE built properly to spec plus some other niceness. So I effectively spend 9 hours a day in the blind. (Except somehow the phone still works so I still get those twice-thrice-quarta-hourly "neighborhood" spam robocalls.)

So... no music streaming. I've already unsubscribed from most of my music streaming services, because why throw money at them when you can throw it into a pit and set it on fire instead? This would be fine if I could remember to load music onto my phone or iPod before coming to work..... (Oh, and  you apparently can't load music from iTunes onto your iPod if you've subscribed to AppleMusic and iTunes Match, because it replaces most of your music with the "matched" AppleMusic copy that's keyed to keep it streaming only / off of your iPod.)

Is it too much to ask that things _just work_ like they used to? How did we get to a nice stable point and then mess everything up so badly in such a short stretch of time? (This is a rhetorical question.)

I think AT&T LTE "service" would be better.  I wouldn't use AT&T if they were free.

This is why you just shouldn't pay for music with DRM attached.  They can do whatever they want, as you can see.  Forget all those sync apps and streaming services to make your life "better".  All it is is paid control.

Either buy the CDs themselves or get DRM free music.  I get all of my music from 7Digital.  I can listen to it on whatever I want whenever I want, with zero regard for internet connectivity, which is the way it used to be.  The way it should be.

I used to listen to Spotify, but decided to actually start buying music when their commercials got too repetitive, they started cranking the volume on it, and half of them ended up being for their own stupid premium "service" anyway.  I mean, they advertised their premium service as if they'd invented the concept of listening to music without streaming, as you can store music on your phone.  But it's still DRM locked.

4G...

There is is a 3D ultrasonography giving a volumetric imaging of a body.

But there is an ultrasonography service network "4D". 
The body through time and space...

But once there was a TV commercial "we have not just 4D, this is 5D !".
I still can't imagine that body...

You can't because you're using one of those 'i' things... but an Android phone (most that I know of) has a built in FM receiver, which I use to pull in FM radio.  The radio app is free.  The headphone cable is the antenna.  Uses hardly any battery at all.  Plenty of nice FM classical stations in my neck of the woods. :cool:

1 hour ago, Cydonian Monk said:

"5G" network

I've not been following the story that closely, but I'm to understand that Chinese gal the Canadians arrested at the request of the Americans... she, or rather the company she owns / works for, something, holds the rights to (?) 5G technology(?) bandwidth(?) something - lock, stock, and barrel.  Big fuss.  I should pay it more attention.

Edit:
Yea, figures, it's politics.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/07/technology/china-huawei-5g-standards.html

(and the article is nearly a year old no less)

Edited by LordFerret

48 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

5G technology

Tell me when they got a method to provide internet over radio waves that is :

- Reasonably fast

- Wouldn't be slowed down in a rain

- Works from inside a valley & a concrete building.

For some reason our 4G LTE service has been odd as well. Still, I have wi-fi at home, so not too bad.

2 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

music streaming

Somebody sell me a tape, please ! XD

Edited by YNM

Yeah, that’s the problem with, um, well, everything. Someone comes up with a good idea that works, and then everyone has to copy it and grab their slice of the pie. Now there’s a zillion video and music streaming services trying to lighten my wallet, including the cable companies trying to compete.

And that’s another complaint lately, cable companies upgrading the home equipment every few years, leaving us with functional but obsolete stuff. The last batch of stuff was barely paid for (still cheaper than renting the stuff) when we renewed our loyalty discounts, when they insisted on upgrading our gear to the latest equipment for free. That’s great, but the menus and everything is completely different so we have to figure out how to use the PVR all over again. Oh wait, why record it when we can just stream it...

Back to music. I won’t pay for a music streaming service when I already have tens of gigs of music built up over the years, some ripped, some downloaded, some bought from iTunes. I think there’s even some I “borrowed” from Napster. But the downside is that the recording levels are all over the place. When I have my headphones on, my phone likes to play something quiet, like “Here for a Good Time” so I have to turn it up, then it throws on a live cut of “Bawitdaba”  with the audience at full roar, making me jump out of my skin...

3 hours ago, LordFerret said:

FM radio

LOL. We have KPFT. That's basically it for music, but half the day they're running far-left political propoganda and not playing music. One of the HBCUs here on the NW side of town has a low-power r&b/jazz station, and our "classical" radio station is buried in a digital side-channel. Otherwise radio in Houston might as well be dead. 

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Back to music. I won’t pay for a music streaming service when I already have tens of gigs of music built up over the years....

I too have several months worth of continuous music (at this point about half from CD), but I'm always finding new things. Apple Music and Amazon Prime Music (and whatever fifteen different barely working garbage services Google offered over the last few years) have literally saved me thousands of dollars. Five years ago I had no problem plonking down $10-$20 for an album to sample somebody's music... and maybe buy more if I could find it. Now I pay half that a month to listen to everything.

"Legal" music discovery went into a dark age about 20 years ago (thanks to illegal fileshare services we all may or may not have used). These newer streaming services, plus sites like Bandcamp and MySpace (RIP), have just about become the only way to find and consume new stuff short of going to every local bar on the planet. If anything I miss the record stores, but their days are all but gone.

7 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

LOL. We have KPFT. That's basically it for music,...

... have just about become the only way to find and consume new stuff short of going to every local bar on the planet. If anything I miss the record stores, but their days are all but gone.

Luckily there are a several radio stations in my area that expose me to new (if overplayed) music, especially at work where I listen to the allegedly "world famous" CFOX. The Fox Rocks! I have far less opportunity to listen to streaming services, although the fancy new car stereo I got for Christmas (I wanted and got one with Bluetooth) does support Spotify and Pandora and such. But it also plays great from my phone, so again, I don't have much use for streaming music services. But my daughter (who drives) is on Spotify.... I also got a dashcam to keep an eye on her driving, not that it's suspect. But her brother will be sixteen soon...

Now excuse me while I go see if Storm Seeker is on iTunes... the "what music is stuck in your head" thread  is my other source for new tunes

15 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I used to hold the belief that people became journalists because the only thing they knew anything about at all was writing. However, with the sad state of English skills I find in many articles these days, I have now come to the conclusion that people become journalists because they know nothing at all.

When I was a kid I knew two people who grew up to be journalists that work for public radio. In fact, I used to "play doctor" with one of them. (No, I'm not telling you who she is.) They're both VERY smart people and know their material extremely well. Knowing both of them, they became journalists to defend freedom. Their parents and siblings are pretty cool too.

17 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

radio in Houston might as well be dead

I'm sorry to hear that.  FM is still quite alive here in the northeast, but you do have to hunt and cut through the clutter.  I grew up with WNEW which, in the late 60's and through the 70's, was the definitive in Rock radio... Alison Steele, The Nightbird.

Landlord had a new toilet installed to replace my old cracked one...
It works great, but the seat seems to have been intentionally designed to cause the greatest possible amount of pain in my... seat... :huh:

@kerbiloid 
I think some people fear the thought of dying on the "throne"... This... THIS ONLY INCREASES THOSE CHANCES!!! :0.0:
Too hilarious!  :D
I will say this though... It looks far more comfortable than mine! :o

So... Moving on... I've been really getting into model trains again... Not a good thing for my KSP Instrument Panel project's progress... But hey, when I'm this busy with work, buying moar™ train stuff is an easy hobby... :rolleyes: I discovered this passed summer that there's still a brick and mortar model train shop about half an hour from my location, out int he middle of nowhere. It's literally a store room in the back of a small town's grocery store. You walk into the grocery store, ask for the proprietor, and then you get taken passed the deli & meats department, passed the store's inventory area, and into the little storeroom in back. It's wall to wall, floor to ceiling model trains!

I want to support this small hobby shop and it's owner so much... But they seem to get stock based on reorders... and the locomotive I want has a digital controller (DCC) without sound, but I want the sound equipped models. That means I want to either buy ones with the factory installed DCC sound modules, or buy just plain old analog DC models (with no controller at all) so that I can install my own aftermarket DCC sound controller myself. 

Unfortunately, because he's only got the locomotive with the no-sound controller, I have to pay a $44 premium above the analog only price, to buy it with a controller that I will literally immediately remove. Could I sell it? Sure I could. Problem is, basic name brand DCC controllers can be had for $20-40, and from China, they can be had on the cheap for $12. The demand for no-sound controllers isn't as intense, cause the controllers are readily available. As such, they rarely sell for the $44 retail price... This same controller will sometimes sell, sometimes not sell, even from reputable, specialized ebay sellers for $30-35... I probably won't be able to match that.

Basically, cause this little shop has their stuff presumably on auto-order (when it sells, they seem to replace it with the same), I have to waste $44 and HOPE I can maybe make a fraction of that back by selling a decoder I don't want... Even though I've asked about getting that particular model with a sound decoder or with no decoder...

Edited by richfiles

21 minutes ago, richfiles said:

I think some people fear the thought of dying on the "throne"... This... THIS ONLY INCREASES THOSE CHANCES!!!

This is why you need Russian bot duplicates.

Spoiler

%D0%9C%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B3%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%