Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

18 hours ago, richfiles said:

intentionally designed to cause the greatest possible amount of pain

I don't know how would there even be a design that does that...

I overcame a major hurdle in a project I'm working on in KSP last night, right before bed.  And of course it was Sunday, so now I'm dragging out this unrealistically long Monday with not much to do at work because I just want to go home and KSP.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

I overcame a major hurdle in a project I'm working on in KSP last night, right before bed.  And of course it was Sunday, so now I'm dragging out this unrealistically long Monday with not much to do at work because I just want to go home and KSP.

I have a ton of things to do today, very important things, since I'm supposed to be moving offices to a different campus this week (as part of my supervisors' never-ending quest to move me to desktop support). But I can't get any of them done because I'm being constantly interrupted by end user support calls. <sigh>

We went to visit some friends in Idaho over the winter break. Boise rocks. My wife thinks I should keep an ear to the ground for IT Manager/Director positions in Boise. She's a smart woman.

Ok, here is a short summary:

I had not slept more than four hours daily during the last two weeks. To my own surprise, I'm not exhausted and can work as usual during the day, but I definitely want to sleep a bit more. Knowing that I should be free today, I went to the resting mattress with some good hope. Just a few woke up during the night, then I fall asleep a third time!.. just to be woke up by some #%&$*&  guys with their NOISY STRING TRIMMERS and their RIDE-ON MOWER!!! :mad: :angry: :mad: 

Just for that I want to get out of residences forever! 

The worst thing about this story is that these guys know how to manage their business, since they always leave the lawn cut off, which makes it feed the land and ensures they are coming back every week for their unnecessary work.

Goddamn car decided to have the engine quit running (and refuse to restart, to boot) at a stoplight during rush hour.

The kicker? This is the THIRD time I've had to have this thing towed home due to powertrain failures in a year. th_dry.gif Once for a distributor that decided to distribute the rotor contact throughout the housing, once due to a clutch throwout bearing return spring that broke because I'd managed to install it incorrectly while replacing the transmission, and now this... I haven't even begun to try and troubleshoot it, because it was nighttime and raining when I got it home. So, tomorrow is "chase the failure" day.

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Goddamn car decided to have the engine quit running (and refuse to restart, to boot) at a stoplight during rush hour.

As a landy owner, I can identify with this. My ignition switch once underwent rapid unplanned disassembly (Thanks Lucas, prince of darkness) at an intersection.
Random junk wire and large screwdriver (across starter terminals to crank) to the rescue... And some pushing, and many irate motorists.
Then I got to drive it home with no electrics at all, hand out the window signalling style.  What fun.

This was perhaps topped by the 2 days I drove it to work and back with no clutch, thanks to the failure of a tiny spring in the master cylinder...

And for an unrelated complaint, the screen on my phone died completely the other day, so I now have semi-phone which I can only use by screenscraping over ADB to my PC. Chaos ensues when it rings.
Yay for consumer electronics.

Edited by steve_v

22 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

the SIM card is no longer installed, even though it clearly is. 

I've had similar issues from prolonged heating and such. Try turning off the device, or straighten the card back for a good while, it'll work again.

1 minute ago, YNM said:

I've had similar issues from prolonged heating and such. Try turning off the device, or straighten the card back for a good while, it'll work again.

Yeah, turning it off and on again seems to work, at least for a while...it eventually started saying that again, until I turned it off and on again.

It's the number one tech troubleshooting solution! :sticktongue:

25 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It's the number one tech troubleshooting solution! :sticktongue:

It's just that the card or the SIM card slot has been fatigued. You just have to make one of them fits on the other.

I am SO close to solving my 4x4x4. But the bottom layer is always messed up.

Right now (going clockwise), the pieces are orange-green, blue-red, green-blue, red-orange.
I already had only two of them switched up before, but I then tried to solve it, which - par for the course - messed everything up even more.

So, I finally got moved into my new office at the campus across town. The place is deserted, classes don't start for another couple of weeks. The walls are paper thin, so all I can hear is the lady in the office next to me chattering on her phone, she hasn't stopped in the two hours I've been here. I feel like I'm sitting in the beginning of a Terry Gilliam film.

Bought a new phone on Monday. Got an LG V40 ThinQ... Nice phone. My old one, and LG Spectrum (VS920) was from 2012... 6.5 years old. I was gonna order online, cause free 2 day shipping and they waive the $30 activation fee... I decided to see int he morning if the local store has the model I want, just in case. They did, but said the they didn't waive the $30 activation fee cause they handle transferring all your old data to your new phone and activating it and such... Okay, fine, whatever... At least the phone is right there... How bad could it be... :/

"What's your PIN?" :sealed:
Umm... I'll punch that in myself...

"What's your Google password?" :huh:
Are you serious... hand me my phone...

"Oh, you don't need to do that. That's just the legal agreement. I usually just do that for you" :0.0:
• Literal jaw hanging open... no words to respond to that •

"Your phone is so old it won't let me run the new transfer app... I wonder if that might work...Hmm... Umm... Uhhh..." ~ Proceeds to page through EVERY screen of my phone :o
Lady... I know exactly what's on my phone... If you need something, I can show you exactly where it is.

"I can set up cloud sharing to save all your photos" :confused:
Lady... It's 20 GIGS of photos and videos... On my SD card... I can pop out my SD card and transfer it to the new phone in 10 seconds...That's LITERALLY the one thing you don't need to do...

"Everything looks like it should work, but I can't figure out the WiFi on your old phone... I mean, you could try it yourself when you get home... I just can't get it to transfer." :mad:
Are ya flipping kidding me!?!? I skipped the free activation deal cause you told me this was gonna be the "easy way"... And you're sending me home with only a basic activation, after I did most of it myself, anyway, cause you couldn't grasp the concept of secure information practices and just hold my phone out to me any time it needed a password inputed into it? I just kept the phone once I got it out of her hands and proceeded to go through the entire remainder of the process myself.

When I got home, it took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to do the transfer, with nothing more than the software already on both phones... And I've never done a transfer before in my life... This is her JOB!?!? Is she taken by the flippin' KRAKEN! How! Ugh... The absolute lack of not simply respect for information privacy, but her doe in the headlights look any time I didn't just hand over the keys to my digital kingdom at her every request was dumbfounding! Its like she had NEVER heard the concept of privacy before, never heard of keeping your passwords and data secure...

Still did most of the work myself, AND get to pay and extra $30... Joy...

3 hours ago, richfiles said:

"What's your Google password?" :huh:

o_0

I'd say report it to the manager but I get a gut feeling that the manager (who is likely aware of this person's employment) might not be much more reliable.

3 hours ago, richfiles said:

I decided to see in the morning if the local store has the model I want, just in case. They did, but said the they didn't waive the $30 activation fee cause they handle transferring all your old data to your new phone and activating it and such...

Dona nobis pacem.

I was feeling oddly philosophical... Has the modern, post industrial revolution society reached the top of the bell curve? Will there be only decline in the future? Are we, as a society, doomed to fail? A new faction popping up every day with their own set of demands.. Established tradition and institutions being 'changed' just to satisfy a couple of vain people? Scientific progress held back by stupid stuff..

I watched a couple of videos of Isaac Arthur, an optimistic futurism channel on youtube. After every video, i was thinking, "Let's not kid ourself... we will never progress that far out in the future.' :(

I think I understand the Fermi Paradox now. Aliens have not contacted us, because just like us, their society falls into ruins after a couple of centuries... They can never free themselves of the shackles of their home planet,let alone contact other advanced cultures.

We were born here, and we are doomed to die on this pitiful little planet of dirt and rocks... :(

Sorry for the rant...

My neighbours must think I'm nuts. I'm foreseeing the time some big guys on white would knock on my door with a smile and a injection of some heavy duty tranquilizer.

Now and then I enter here and see something that makes me laugh my SAS out. Loud. Very loud.

Humm… Someone is ringing the bell….

21 hours ago, TheSaint said:

So, I finally got moved into my new office at the campus across town. The place is deserted, classes don't start for another couple of weeks. The walls are paper thin, so all I can hear is the lady in the office next to me chattering on her phone, she hasn't stopped in the two hours I've been here. I feel like I'm sitting in the beginning of a Terry Gilliam film.

Time to put up some soundproofing/sounddeadening panels before you get down to the serious decorating. 

22 hours ago, TheSaint said:

The walls are paper thin, so all I can hear is the lady in the office next to me chattering on her phone, she hasn't stopped in the two hours I've been here. I feel like I'm sitting in the beginning of a Terry Gilliam film.

22 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Time to put up some soundproofing/sounddeadening panels before you get down to the serious decorating. 

Time to put a microphone connected to a loudspeaker. Let her hear herself from the street.

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, Nivee~ said:

I was feeling oddly philosophical... Has the modern, post industrial revolution society reached the top of the bell curve? Will there be only decline in the future? Are we, as a society, doomed to fail? A new faction popping up every day with their own set of demands.. Established tradition and institutions being 'changed' just to satisfy a couple of vain people? Scientific progress held back by stupid stuff..

I watched a couple of videos of Isaac Arthur, an optimistic futurism channel on youtube. After every video, i was thinking, "Let's not kid ourself... we will never progress that far out in the future.' :(

I think I understand the Fermi Paradox now. Aliens have not contacted us, because just like us, their society falls into ruins after a couple of centuries... They can never free themselves of the shackles of their home planet,let alone contact other advanced cultures.

We were born here, and we are doomed to die on this pitiful little planet of dirt and rocks... :(

Sorry for the rant...

We have advanced far too much technologically as a species to die off, IMO. The rest of the planet is not-so-slowly dying but we will likely survive. Life will get considerably harder once we are entirely reliant on technology and engineering everything. Unless we happen to nuke ourselves, which isn't exactly out of the realm of possibility. Mutually assured destruction is a thing though, and no-one benefits from a nuclear war.
I'd likely expect it's the case for other species. We're assuming culture and environments similar to ours on species and planets we can barely even guess at based on the composition of exoplanet atmospheres.
Much of our science seems to lack the ability to think outside of the box. Kind of understandable though, as we have no other point of view to base a theory on.