Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

1 minute ago, Delay said:

One of my hard drives is dying. It's rather loud you can hear every read/write that it does. And for some reason it also impacts sound and video.

There's just one problem with it... It's the C drive.

So use a live clone tool?

Or get one of these things.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=hard drive duplicator&Submit=ENE

Edited by Geonovast

"Amazing Super Bowl"
"56-point spread"
"Going to be a scoring-fest"

"Goff's going to take the torch from Brady"

"Greatest Show on Turf"

"Gurley"

"Donald"
"Suh"
"Woods"

"Anderson"

"Brady"
"Edelman"

"Michel"

"Gronkowski"
"Hightower"

"Gilmore"

"Fowler"

How do these big names on the biggest stage manage to get a combined 16 points?!

When the highlight of the game is Johnny Hekker nailing a punt and breaking a Super Bowl record for longest punt (65 yards), you know that there's a serious problem with the game. Also, whenever you search "Super Bowl 53" and the news comes up with results like these great gems:

"The Patriots win vs. the Rams was the least watched Super Bowl in 10 years" (SB Nation)

"Well, That Sucked" (Deadspin)

Also, there were 0 points scored in the first quarter.

(Depressing) Records broken (According to everyone's favorite unreliable information source, Wikipedia)

Most Super Bowl appearances, as team 11 New England Patriots
Fewest points scored, winning team 13
Most consecutive drives ending with a punt 8 Los Angeles Rams
Fewest touchdowns, first 3 quarters (both teams) 0 Super Bowl LIII
Fewest touchdowns (both teams, game) 1
Fewest PATs (both teams, game) 1
Fewest kickoff returns (both teams, game) 2
Fewest points, first 3 quarters (both teams) 6
Fewest points (both teams, game) 16
Longest punt 65 yards Johnny Hekker (Los Angeles Rams)

And (Depressing) records tied:

Fewest points, first half 0 Los Angeles Rams
Fewest points scored, team 3
Fewest touchdowns scored, team 0
Fewest points, first quarter (both teams) 0 Super Bowl LIII
Fewest passing touchdowns (both teams) 0
Fewest fumbles lost (both teams) 0

Like for gosh sakes, this is THE SUPER BOWL! On top of the whole New Orleans boycott, this is not the way the NFL wanted to close out the season. Honestly a massive disgrace in my eyes...

At least the NFL100 ad was funny

3 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Forgive me for my ignorance, I'm not based in the land of the free.

What is Superbowl? An enormous cereal bowl or something? :sticktongue:

I'm going to assume you're from Europe, so I'll use soccer. Basically the FA Cup of the NFL. The two best teams in the sport play each other, with the winner being crowned champion.

3 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I'm going to assume you're from Europe, so I'll use soccer. Basically the FA Cup of the NFL. The two best teams in the sport play each other, with the winner being crowned champion.

Yep, I'm European. And thank you for the explanation :)

15 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

To follow-up on what @DarkOwl57 said...Yeah... 

Most BORING Superbowl ever!!!   :mad:

1 minute ago, DarkOwl57 said:

When the highlight of the game is Johnny Hekker nailing a punt and breaking a Super Bowl record for longest punt (65 yards), you know that there's a serious problem with the game. Also, whenever you search "Super Bowl 53" and the news comes up with results like these great gems:

"The Patriots win vs. the Rams was the least watched Super Bowl in 10 years" (SB Nation)

"Well, That Sucked" (Deadspin)

Also, there were 0 points scored in the first quarter.

(Depressing) Records broken (According to everyone's favorite unreliable information source, Wikipedia)

Most Super Bowl appearances, as team 11 New England Patriots
Fewest points scored, winning team 13
Most consecutive drives ending with a punt 8 Los Angeles Rams
Fewest touchdowns, first 3 quarters (both teams) 0 Super Bowl LIII
Fewest touchdowns (both teams, game) 1
Fewest PATs (both teams, game) 1
Fewest kickoff returns (both teams, game) 2
Fewest points, first 3 quarters (both teams) 6
Fewest points (both teams, game) 16
Longest punt 65 yards Johnny Hekker (Los Angeles Rams)

And (Depressing) records tied:

Fewest points, first half 0 Los Angeles Rams
Fewest points scored, team 3
Fewest touchdowns scored, team 0
Fewest points, first quarter (both teams) 0 Super Bowl LIII
Fewest passing touchdowns (both teams) 0
Fewest fumbles lost (both teams) 0

Like for gosh sakes, this is THE SUPER BOWL! On top of the whole New Orleans boycott, this is not the way the NFL wanted to close out the season. Honestly a massive disgrace in my eyes...

At least the NFL100 ad was funny

Gee, I'm so sorry I missed it. :rolleyes: We just went on You Tube and watched the commercial highlights after we got home from church last night. (Jeep won for the feels. But "Advertising Ruins Everything" was the funniest. :D)

5 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Gee, I'm so sorry I missed it. :rolleyes: We just went on You Tube and watched the commercial highlights after we got home from church last night. (Jeep won for the feels. But "Advertising Ruins Everything" was the funniest. :D)

There's no way! NFL100 was by far the best. Seeing Tom Brady handing Baker his rings and watching Odell... Odell, it was amazing! Maybe that's just the football in me though. Amazon Alexa was pretty good though

8 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yep, I'm European. And thank you for the explanation :)

No problem, I play a lot of FIFA and that was the biggest stretch I could make lol

1 minute ago, DarkOwl57 said:

There's no way! NFL100 was by far the best. Seeing Tom Brady handing Baker his rings and watching Odell... Odell, it was amazing! Maybe that's just the football in me though. Amazon Alexa was pretty good though

NFL100 did get a good belly laugh. (We kept wondering if they all did their own stunts.) But I'm too into meta-humor. 

A local radio station, Jack-FM, has been having fun with that game for the punny/surreal little blurbs they sprinkle between songs throughout the day. The one that tickled my funnybone most:

”We were planning to take a nap after the game, but we ended up taking one during it”

About a year ago, I took my laptop in for a good cleaning and heatsink reseating. When I got it back, the screen backlight didn't work. When I took it back, they said a hair got stuck in the connector. Ah well, stuff happens...

This year, my daughter took her laptop in because the fan was making a horrendous noise. The fan needed replacing, and it took forever (3 weeks at least?) for the part to arrive. They gave it back to her while waiting, but she didn't use it because of the noise. Finally got the part, put it in, yadda yadda, finally got it home today and the wifi didn't work. With this silly HP laptop, there is no access panel for user-replaceable parts (like on my HP), or I would have had a look inside. Instead the whole thing needs to be pried apart. So back it went to the shop, and they fixed it on the spot, saying the antenna wire had come off (which fit the symptoms; it could see a couple of networks very weakly before it lost them again). I can understand how it can be hard to make sure everything stays together while getting the halves back together, but one would think they'd test things before calling the customer saying it's ready..

I don't think I'll go back there...

But I have to wonder if my fan is spinning as fast as it should. It's quiet, but I don't think it's blowing as hard as it used to. But I don't want to spend $80 on a fan...

So can anyone suggest a good, free hardware monitor (temp and fan speed) program? So many out there to choose from...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

So can anyone suggest a good, free hardware monitor (temp and fan speed) program? So many out there to choose from...

I've personally used CoreTemp to monitor CPU temps, though it doesn't show fan speed. Works pretty well and is quite clear. A free thing that shows both cpu temp and fan speed is OpenHardwareMonitor, though its maybe a bit harder to understand (I think it should be fine though). So maybe give that a shot?

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

HP

Every time we had to deal with HP things, either required computer components should be only native HP (twice as expensive), or some program (including a Flash-based trading webpage) was not compatible with HP notebook drivers.

I avoid it wherever it's possible.

11 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

What is Superbowl? An enormous cereal bowl or something?

Spoiler

GobletOfFire_WB_F4_GobletSurroundedByAge

Edited by kerbiloid

Well, great. This time our offic pulled out one of the 200 (and counting) winning tickets in today’s Fake Bomb Threat Lottery in Moscow.

We’ve got a second office within walking distance, though. So I’m a working evacuee now.

12 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

but one would think they'd test things before calling the customer saying it's ready..

Quite a few years ago, my mom had to take her laptop in (GeekSquad... groan) to have the fan replaced due to overheating.  This was after they first made her buy system restore disks for like forty freaking dollars.  She did all this instead of listening to me because it was still under warranty.

2-3 weeks later, she gets her computer back.  Now it overheats and shuts down before you even get to the login screen.  Again, instead of letting me crack it open, it goes back...

They had forgotten to take the sticker off the fan and apply thermal paste.  This wasn't even GeekSquad.  They had to send it off to the manufacturer.

44 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Quite a few years ago, my mom had to take her laptop in (GeekSquad... groan) to have the fan replaced due to overheating.  This was after they first made her buy system restore disks for like forty freaking dollars.  She did all this instead of listening to me because it was still under warranty.

2-3 weeks later, she gets her computer back.  Now it overheats and shuts down before you even get to the login screen.  Again, instead of letting me crack it open, it goes back...

They had forgotten to take the sticker off the fan and apply thermal paste.  This wasn't even GeekSquad.  They had to send it off to the manufacturer.

I don't let anyone work on our computers, I do it all myself. It's not that hard, it's mostly just a bunch of fiddly little screws. The only time it gets annoying is when they use plastic clips to hold stuff together, because then usually half of them break rather than come apart neatly. The manufacturers all have tech manuals on their websites these days, so you get step-by-step instructions on how to take it apart. And you can buy parts on EBay for 1/3 of what you'll pay at Geek Squad or any other chop shop. And you can take the time and do it right, instead of having it done by some minimum wage flunky who spent half of the time on his phone.

13 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I don't let anyone work on our computers, I do it all myself. It's not that hard, it's mostly just a bunch of fiddly little screws. The only time it gets annoying is when they use plastic clips to hold stuff together, because then usually half of them break rather than come apart neatly. The manufacturers all have tech manuals on their websites these days, so you get step-by-step instructions on how to take it apart. And you can buy parts on EBay for 1/3 of what you'll pay at Geek Squad or any other chop shop. And you can take the time and do it right, instead of having it done by some minimum wage flunky who spent half of the time on his phone.

That was pretty much my argument.  This was awhile ago, back when Vista was still relevant (which it had).  I told her several times that it was an overheating issue, but The Almight Geeks said it was a corrupt OS and she needed the discs (without ever looking at it).  IIRC I'd found a fan online for about $7.  I'd been mucking with computers since I was like 10 and I'd already had several laptops apart at that point.  I could have had it fixed in an hour or so, correctly.  This ordeal was when she finally started listening to me about computers, to the point I even got her switched to Linux.  I was sick of the M$ induced tech support calls from her.

She is one of those people who have a tech-killing aura though.  She's killed way more electronics from normal use than I ever have from abuse.

35 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

That was pretty much my argument.  This was awhile ago, back when Vista was still relevant (which it had).  I told her several times that it was an overheating issue, but The Almight Geeks said it was a corrupt OS and she needed the discs (without ever looking at it).  IIRC I'd found a fan online for about $7.  I'd been mucking with computers since I was like 10 and I'd already had several laptops apart at that point.  I could have had it fixed in an hour or so, correctly.  This ordeal was when she finally started listening to me about computers, to the point I even got her switched to Linux.  I was sick of the M$ induced tech support calls from her.

She is one of those people who have a tech-killing aura though.  She's killed way more electronics from normal use than I ever have from abuse.

LOL

At my last job I worked for a construction company. Every site supervisor had a laptop on site that they used to file status reports remotely every work day. Those things were nightmares to keep running, they were horribly abused. Choked with drywall dust, coffee spilled on them, dropped while running, etc. Before I got there, if one stopped working they would simply pull the hard drive, e-waste it, and buy a new one. I was absolutely aghast. They were seriously pouring money down the drain. Half of them all they needed to do was pull them apart, blow out the accumulation of dust and crap with some compressed air and a little contact cleaner, and they came right back up again. I also got them onto a standardized fleet of the same model of laptop, so when one actually died we could cannibalize it for parts to keep the others running. I became very adept at repairing laptops.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

LOL

At my last job I worked for a construction company. Every site supervisor had a laptop on site that they used to file status reports remotely every work day. Those things were nightmares to keep running, they were horribly abused. Choked with drywall dust, coffee spilled on them, dropped while running, etc. Before I got there, if one stopped working they would simply pull the hard drive, e-waste it, and buy a new one. I was absolutely aghast. They were seriously pouring money down the drain. Half of them all they needed to do was pull them apart, blow out the accumulation of dust and crap with some compressed air and a little contact cleaner, and they came right back up again. I also got them onto a standardized fleet of the same model of laptop, so when one actually died we could cannibalize it for parts to keep the others running. I became very adept at repairing laptops.

Interesting question: what’s better, ruggedized industrial laptops that are borderline-bulletproof, or sane maintenance practices?

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Interesting question: what’s better, ruggedized industrial laptops that are borderline-bulletproof, or sane maintenance practices?

Virtual remote desktops, accessible by the personal smartphones and by the cheapest available nettops with a reduced linux with the only program loading on startup: a remote desktop client..

Edited by kerbiloid