Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

I love my new phone, but after a month of using it, I wish so much that they had added 1 mm to it's thickness, cause I bet you that would have made the battery that much thicker... Yes, I get it... Fast charging is great, I can plug in and top off more easily... BUT I DON'T WANT TO!!! I want to plug in overnight, and have a phone that doesn't reach teen percentages by the end of the day! This phone is HALF the thickness of my last phone, and it was half the thickness of the one I had before it... I mean... Enough is enough! I'd rather bring it back a bit!

I want my phone's battery to be T H I C C !!! :confused:

13 minutes ago, razark said:

I know the feeling.  I went to check my mailbox just so I could say I made it out the door today.

Given that I picked up Pokemon Go on said new phone, I at least have one motivation to move...
I have a Pokestop 50 meters in front of my front door. Free items every 5 minutes! :sticktongue:

Also, the game has the following requirements for my progression...
"Catch a Ditto"
"Evolve a Grimer"
"Make 3 New Friends"

Great... I find no dittos, find no grimers... Dittos appear as low level pokemon and change after capture...
Joy! I'm wasting my pokeballs on low level fodder, and grimers just simply aren't spawning at all... As if I had many pokeballs left if I even saw one.
Of course, I'm just screwed on that last one... No one I know plays this! Good Lord... What do they expect me to do... Socialize!?! :rolleyes:

Of course... Since it's Minnesota, land of 10000 flakes/m2, it's a feat of acrobatics to walk even that 50 meters! I took the trash out (which is conveniently 45 of those 50 meters), and promptly danced a little jig the second my feet hit the hard packed icy snow. Managed to not fall, drop my trash, or my phone, but my knee is pretty sore now... :mad:

Edited by richfiles

35 minutes ago, richfiles said:

I want to plug in overnight, and have a phone that doesn't reach teen percentages by the end of the day!

As much as people give me crap for having an old flip phone, I'm quite happy with the fact that I only have to charge it twice a week. 

I like to be there, with my friends, engaging with them, instead of occasionally looking up and noticing them.  Of course, it often turns out that I'm sitting with a group of people, watching them all poke at their phones, waiting for them to look up...

(I spend my workday staring at a screen.  I come home and spend my evenings staring at one screen or another.  I don't need a portable screen to carry around with me.  If I did, I'd never pick up a book or any of my hobbies, not that I do those enough anyway.  I really need to start enforcing some sort of scheduled "no TV/computer" time.)

8 minutes ago, DDE said:

To continue a thread’s worth of complaints about snow...

What's there to complain about?  It shows up once, maybe twice, a year, gives us a day off work, and is gone by noon!

Edited by razark

1 minute ago, razark said:

As much as people give me crap for having an old flip phone, I'm quite happy with the fact that I only have to charge it twice a week. 

I like to be there, with my friends, engaging with them, instead of occasionally looking up and noticing them.  Of course, it often turns out that I'm sitting with a group of people, watching them all poke at their phones, waiting for them to look up...

(I spend my workday staring at a screen.  I come home and spend my evenings staring at one screen or another.  I don't need a portable screen to carry around with me.  If I did, I'd never pick up a book or any of my hobbies, not that I do those enough anyway.  I really need to start enforcing some sort of scheduled "no TV/computer" time.)

If everyone is looking at their phones then there’s a good chance there isn’t anything to say. My friends and I generally don’t keep our eyes on our screens. We get enough entertainment from talking to each other.

But there are times where my eyes are on my phone screen. And generally it’s because there isn’t a darn thing to discuss. 

‘Course I can’t speak for everyone.

10 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

If everyone is looking at their phones then there’s a good chance there isn’t anything to say.

There's always plenty to say, it's just that the social media is so much easier than thinking of things to say.

Of course, when it's in the middle of a DnD game...

"I'm paying attention!  Just let me know when it's my turn!
By the way, what's going on?"

Edited by razark

windows 10 is fast becoming the bane of my existence. things that no longer work on an install that is only 3 months old:

bluetooth audio

dhcp

windows firewall

network discovery

it was innocent enough when it all started, but all the workarounds are starting to stack up to make the system somewhat less usable. id love to use 8.1 but there is like zero driver support for my hardware on older oses. reactos is still in alpha, hows linux these days? i havent seen a windows os this unreliable and ive used every one from 3.1 onward.

Edited by Nuke

2 hours ago, razark said:

I like to be there, with my friends

That’s roughly where our commonality ended.

Online interaction is easily controllable, largely pseudonymous, and it’s far easier to find people who at least have an interest in common.

Last week, I almost died when my colleagues started discussing The Sims.

On 2/2/2019 at 8:46 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Credit cards work great!

On 2/3/2019 at 9:07 AM, kerbiloid said:

Probably they accept cash, too.

Reminds me of the scene in The Sure Thing (yes I'm aging myself here) where they're trying to break into a double-wide to get out of a torrential rainstorm.

He: "I need something to pick the lock, or we could just smash it."

Her: (looking through her purse) "Wait! I have a credit card."

He: "No, this is a totally different kind of lock."

Her: "No. I HAVE A CREDIT CARD."

(pause)

Her: "Oh. But my dad said I should only use it for emergencies."

He: "Well... maybe something will come up."

(cut to them sitting in a fancy restaurant)

7 hours ago, Nuke said:

id love to use 8.1 but there is like zero driver support for my hardware on older oses.

Is it very high-end and new ? Windows 7 still runs happily (and runs happier) on a lot of somewhat older hardware.

9 hours ago, razark said:

I'm quite happy with the fact that I only have to charge it twice a week

Now I really miss my old Nokia...

7 hours ago, DDE said:

Online interaction is easily controllable, largely pseudonymous, and it’s far easier to find people who at least have an interest in common.

True, but there's a huge gap between online and offline... You can't avoid offline interaction.

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Reminds me of the scene in The Sure Thing (yes I'm aging myself here) where they're trying to break into a double-wide to get out of a torrential rainstorm.

He: "I need something to pick the lock, or we could just smash it."

Her: (looking through her purse) "Wait! I have a credit card."

He: "No, this is a totally different kind of lock."

Her: "No. I HAVE A CREDIT CARD."

(pause)

Her: "Oh. But my dad said I should only use it for emergencies."

He: "Well... maybe something will come up."

(cut to them sitting in a fancy restaurant)

That was the only funny scene I remember from that movie as well. Oh, that and, "Let's sing show tunes!"

9 hours ago, razark said:

There's always plenty to say, it's just that the social media is so much easier than thinking of things to say.

Yeah. If someone in our game decided to start using their cell phone at the table then their character will be sure to find opportunities to achieve heroic excellence.

9 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Boyle's law FTW. 

I think it has little to do with Boyle's law and a lot to do with Raoult's law.

I first noticed this problem while trying to light a cigarette as I was waiting for the ski lift after a run.

Spoiler

220px-Vapor_pressure_chart.svg.png

Edited by StrandedonEarth
spalling

18 hours ago, razark said:

There really isn't always plenty to say. I mean, what do you expect people to do? Talk about the weather? Sure they can do that. But that's just talking to talk. And of course they all have access to weather forecasts in their pockets. Maybe talk about general happenings? Well sure they can do that, but they likely keep each other up to speed through their phones as it is with no physical contact necessary. Sometimes I'll go to dinner with family. Thing is, we already spend a lot of time together. We've already said everything that could be said in this situation. I appreciate spending time with my family, but there just isn't a thing to say that either hasn't already been said or could be said later. Even when I make a concerted effort to not be on my phone no one really talks at all. Not much at any rate.

Not to mention how important phones have become in modern life. You can file your taxes, set up appointments, buy things, catch up on reading, check grades, send emails, talk to friends who aren't sitting next to you...

The way people communicate is changing. But that doesn't imply the previous way was really any better.

It's a simple question for most folks: would you rather have a conversation that's likely to be meaningless or take part in the world at large?

There's more on phones than social media.

And even just taking into account social media, that's where a large portion of modern social life happens. Imagine if all your friends could be contacted with just the push of a button. One of my friends recently had a relative pass away and I wasn't aware precisely because I don't use social media. But a good number of my other friends do use social media and found out. That's the kind of thing I'd like to know as quickly as possible. Checking my phone is a key part of that.

Like it or not a significant portion of modern life is on the internet. Phones are a critical access point for the internet. More can be said using a phone than by talking with the people sitting next to you. We can basically participate socially at all times. We don't have to actually be near someone to talk to them. So the reasoning goes like this: why limit the social interactions I can have just because I'm with people? In comparison it's hard to find things to actually talk about. Indeed, topics of conversation can originate from the participants' phones. News. Videos. Jokes. All kinds of things.

But what's funny is that very similar complaints where made over 100 years ago when books and newspapers started to become huge parts of society...

10 hours ago, YNM said:

Is it very high-end and new ? Windows 7 still runs happily (and runs happier) on a lot of somewhat older hardware.

thats the only reason im using windows 10. its an 8086k (which is just a high binned 8700k @ 4ghz stock). mobo driver support for windows < 10 is non-existant. 

i tried to get 8.1 (which i prefer to 7 for its much faster boot times) to work when i set it up but much of the hardware didn't have drivers (at least not any available from the manufacturer or windows update). i spent a coupele days trying to make it work and then just threw in the towel and installed 10. worst os experience since vista. i still use 7 on my 3d printing rig but im contemplating moving that one over to linux. 

49 minutes ago, Nuke said:

It's an 8086k (which is just a high binned 8700k @ 4ghz stock). mobo driver support for windows < 10 is non-existant. 

I'm not sure is this the right thing, but I found this, and it says " Windows 7* " as well as " Windows 8* ".

Edited by YNM

2 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Talk about the weather? Sure they can do that. But that's just talking to talk.

Sure, let's do that.

Recently, the temperature dropped quite low.  My father has a garden.  Many of his plants were killed off by the cold snap, but the cabbages are doing well.  We then trade cabbage recipes.  Some of those came down family lines.  We start talking about our families.  We compare the experience of growing up in our families.  We talk about where our families came from, compare experience.  We discuss how those experiences translate to us, and historical events that occurred.  We compare historical events to current ones.  We compare current events to books or movies.  Someone is reminded of a joke they heard, and suddenly we're talking about some of the finer points of medieval technology.

There's always plenty to talk about.  Conversations wander and gain richness in that wandering.  Points are made, and stored for later discussion, as the talk winds down whatever path we let it, and we come back to earlier points and learn more about each other and the world.

Sometimes I'll go to dinner with family. Thing is, we already spend a lot of time together. We've already said everything that could be said in this situation. I appreciate spending time with my family, but there just isn't a thing to say that either hasn't already been said or could be said later.

Well, I'm sorry that your family doesn't have events happening constantly that bring new information, situations, or viewpoints into the conversation.  There's always family stories that you haven't heard yet, too.  I mean, the bit about the grandfather's uncle who was killed by the bear (it wasn't his bear, he was only caring for it for someone else) was something I had never heard before.  (And the "or could be said later" sort of indicates that there is, in fact, more to talk about.)

Not to mention how important phones have become in modern life. You can file your taxes, set up appointments, buy things, catch up on reading, check grades, send emails, talk to friends who aren't sitting next to you...

Well, of course.  But when you have a friend sitting at the table with you, why would you chose to do taxes, schedule meetings, shop, read something else, or talk to people that aren't there?  What does that say about your relationship with the person you're with?  That other things are more important than your experience with that person?  Then why are you even there?

would you rather have a conversation that's likely to be meaningless or take part in the world at large?

Why are you friends with people you can only have meaningless conversations with?  Do you and your friends not have views you can discuss about the world at large?  Or how the world at large affects your friends and family?

One of my friends recently had a relative pass away and I wasn't aware precisely because I don't use social media. But a good number of my other friends do use social media and found out.

My gods, isn't the passing of a relative the sort of thing that should involve personal contact, rather than a a tweet or facebook post?!?  If one of my relatives dies, and I didn't get a personal phone call, text, or email, and only learned about it later by checking on some forum, I would be liquided!  That's just downright insane!

Like it or not a significant portion of modern life is on the internet

Yes.  But not all of life is on the internet.  Why would you spend time with a friend if you are not going to give the courtesy of being with that friend?

We don't have to actually be near someone to talk to them.

Yes, this is true.  But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't talk to someone if you are near them.

why limit the social interactions I can have just because I'm with people?

Why be with people if you're going to limit your social interaction with them?

In comparison it's hard to find things to actually talk about.

Yeah, I have no idea what the hell to say to that, other than ask "Are all your friends and family brain-dead?".

topics of conversation can originate from the participants' phones. News. Videos. Jokes. All kinds of things.

Yes.  As you said "topics of conversation".  And then you talk about them with the people you're with, unless you're just going to read headlines to each other, or repeat the same jokes you read somewhere, or show each other videos about things, instead of talking about what those things mean to you and your life, and your friend and their life.

If you're not able to spend meaningful time with people without needing to check your phone to see if something that interests you is going on, then why are you spending time with them and calling them friends?

3 hours ago, razark said:

If you're not able to spend meaningful time with people without needing to check your phone to see if something that interests you is going on, then why are you spending time with them and calling them friends?

+1
True friends are always online. Why spend the time on meetings.

Speaking of phones... I love that USB C appears to have replaced the shoddy old USB Micro connector as a modern standard. It's more robust, faster (both for power delivery and data rate), and it doesn't have a right way to plug it in. That said, I only have two USB C chargers in my entire house, the one that came with my Switch, and the one that came with my phone. Let me tell you, a 1 meter phone cord is a slap in the face...

So, I was at the store yesterday, and saw USB C extension cables that add 2 meters to the length of a USB C cable. They were branded as Switch accessories, and were only $5. When I rang it up, it was actually only $4! Not bad. The cable feels robust, doesn't appear to be cheaply made, and all around looks like a good purchase.

My complaint... It's SO ROBUST of a cable, that it tries to drag my phone with it if I so much as bump the cable. It's a big beefy cable, and it's basically a boat anchor attached to the bottom of my phone. Even worse, since it's an extension cable, and not a regular USB cable, I have to plug it into the existing USB C charger cable. The light end is effectively at the wrong end of this now 3 meter long tripping hazard.

8 hours ago, YNM said:

I'm not sure is this the right thing, but I found this, and it says " Windows 7* " as well as " Windows 8* ".

tell it to the mobo manufacturer.

never buying asus again. every time i buy their hardware i get burned. yet that 8 year old asrock board that everyone told me not to buy still works.

1 hour ago, richfiles said:

I love that USB C appears to have replaced the shoddy old USB Micro connector as a modern standard.

Is it less prone to fatigue compared to the usual USB-Micro B ?

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

never buying asus again.

What's the exact product ?

8 hours ago, razark said:

Or it might indicate that your "friendship" ends at some boundaries.

It's just that, these boundaries might well tend to be more generous on-line.

54 minutes ago, Nuke said:

tell it to the mobo manufacturer.

never buying asus again. every time i buy their hardware i get burned. yet that 8 year old asrock board that everyone told me not to buy still works.

I have the exact opposite experience, I always go Asus for mobo's because they have always surprised me with their compatibility and built in utilities.

Never had a problem with W10 either, not since installation (which admittedly was a complete....poop. Ever tried to use a Mac to help you install windows on another computer? It DOES NOT like it.)

I wouldnt suggest that Asus or Microsoft cant be at fault (though Im much less certain about microsoft....looking at you WORD), but the number of possible hardware combinations in a modern PC is staggering, IMO you are just one of the unlucky ones.

Its a shame that your processor should be supported but isnt, is it too late for a refund?

If all else fails, I have had pretty good success in selling old-ish mobos on ebay, can usually get half price back on 2yo mobos.