Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

16 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

I have the exact opposite experience, I always go Asus for mobo's because they have always surprised me with their compatibility and built in utilities.

Never had a problem with W10 either, not since installation (which admittedly was a complete....poop. Ever tried to use a Mac to help you install windows on another computer? It DOES NOT like it.)

I wouldnt suggest that Asus or Microsoft cant be at fault (though Im much less certain about microsoft....looking at you WORD), but the number of possible hardware combinations in a modern PC is staggering, IMO you are just one of the unlucky ones.

Its a shame that your processor should be supported but isnt, is it too late for a refund?

If all else fails, I have had pretty good success in selling old-ish mobos on ebay, can usually get half price back on 2yo mobos.

its not like i didnt try, the big thing was i couldnt get networking to work, and without that fixing the other things would have been a nightmare (my other computer is upstairs, and i dont like stairs).

@Nuke Well good luck with it buddy. I hate that moment after putting together/repairing a computer, when you press the power button for the first time. 

"PLEASE O HOLY GODS OF COMPUTING BRING THIS BOX TO LIFE AND LET ME NOT HAVE TO DIAGNOSE ANOTHER MYSTERY PROBLEM"

<sprinkles devine coca-cola around the workbench, thrashing myself with a bunch of frayed network cables>

"INtel INside INtel INside INtel INside!"

<dancing>

Edited by p1t1o

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

@Nuke Well good luck with it buddy. I hate that moment after putting together/repairing a computer, when you press the power button for the first time. 

"PLEASE O HOLY GODS OF COMPUTING BRING THIS BOX TO LIFE AND LET ME NOT HAVE TO DIAGNOSE ANOTHER MYSTERY PROBLEM"

<sprinkles devine coca-cola around the workbench, thrashing myself with a bunch of frayed network cables>

<dancing>

ive probably built a few hundred machines. so its all muscle memory for me. i had zero doubts that it would boot. i guess i was taking cds full of drivers for at least four operating systems for granted. not that i could open the cd since my last optical drive went tango uniform and im probably never going to buy another. 

19 minutes ago, Nuke said:

ive probably built a few hundred machines. so its all muscle memory for me. i had zero doubts that it would boot. i guess i was taking cds full of drivers for at least four operating systems for granted. not that i could open the cd since my last optical drive went tango uniform and im probably never going to buy another. 

Yup, optical drives are out it seems. Although I found it almost impossible to install W10 without one - had to go buy a cheap one, crack the case open and have hanging free from the mobo whilst it installed whatever-it-was that it needed. Oh yes, that was it, USB 3.0 drivers - "please insert USB key with USB drivers on to install USB drivers". That was fun.

16 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Elton John

I saw Elton John with Kiki Dee at Madison Square Garden (NYC) back in the 70's, their duet (Don't Go Breaking My Heart) a new hit at the time. If I recall, the tickets were something like $8 (?), and we had excellent seats, front-right-of-center behind orchestra... right in line with Elton's piano.  Kiki Dee was a really big surprise, it was not known she was to show up, or at least we didn't know.

13 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Yup, optical drives are out it seems. Although I found it almost impossible to install W10 without one - had to go buy a cheap one, crack the case open and have hanging free from the mobo whilst it installed whatever-it-was that it needed. Oh yes, that was it, USB 3.0 drivers - "please insert USB key with USB drivers on to install USB drivers". That was fun.

i usually just pxe boot. its what oems do and only requires another computer on the same network (and unless you do some router fu like i did you have to use ethernet). i use something called serva, which is free for private use.

Edited by Nuke

19 hours ago, p1t1o said:

USB 3.0 drivers - "please insert USB key with USB drivers on to install USB drivers". That was fun.

Had this problem on the Win7, though thankfully you can copy it off from the Win10 OS as it's dual-boot.

Hmm, so this happened:

A couple weeks ago, a guy asked me out. He is great at blender and made a apollo model to impress me before asking me out on a date.

And today, just before Valentine's, one of my friends reveals that he didn't make that model on his own, but rather downloaded it from this site.. And then he(my friend) showed me that site, and quite a few other 3d models available for download. :huh:

Now, it's not like my bf couldn't have made that model, it was within the limits of his skill sets. It is the fact that he chose to be lazy. He has been a great guy, even my brother has warmed up to him a lil. But to tell a lie to start a relationship sets off quite a few red flags for me. I haven't talked to him about the lies, a part of me thinks that 'meh, I am happy now, thats all that matters...' but another part of me thinks 'What's stopping him from making up more lies in the future..'

I am confused...that's not the feeling I usually get in Valentine's week! Normally, during this time of the year, I am feeling empty inside and binge watch thriller movies to fill the void..

I don't know what to do about this.... :(

30 minutes ago, Nivee~ said:

one of my friends reveals that he didn't make that model on his own, but rather downloaded it from this site.

Is he absolutely sure about that? Or do they simply look similar?
I'm just saying, there probably isn't just one model of a Saturn V (or any other component of an Apollo mission).

28 minutes ago, Nivee~ said:

But to tell a lie to start a relationship sets off quite a few red flags for me.

Sadly there’s a long list of far-from-malign (if somewhat pityful) reasons for such a step.

31 minutes ago, Nivee~ said:

And then he(my friend) showed me that site, and quite a few other 3d models available for download. 

Plot twist: all of them were made by your friend :cool:

1 hour ago, Nivee~ said:

Hmm, so this happened:

A couple weeks ago, a guy asked me out. He is great at blender and made a apollo model to impress me before asking me out on a date.

And today, just before Valentine's, one of my friends reveals that he didn't make that model on his own, but rather downloaded it from this site.. And then he(my friend) showed me that site, and quite a few other 3d models available for download. :huh:

Now, it's not like my bf couldn't have made that model, it was within the limits of his skill sets. It is the fact that he chose to be lazy. He has been a great guy, even my brother has warmed up to him a lil. But to tell a lie to start a relationship sets off quite a few red flags for me. I haven't talked to him about the lies, a part of me thinks that 'meh, I am happy now, thats all that matters...' but another part of me thinks 'What's stopping him from making up more lies in the future..'

I am confused...that's not the feeling I usually get in Valentine's week! Normally, during this time of the year, I am feeling empty inside and binge watch thriller movies to fill the void..

I don't know what to do about this.... :(

Confront him about it. His reaction will tell you everything that you need to know.

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Is he absolutely sure about that? Or do they simply look similar?

My bf didn't even bother to change the filename... And oh they are similar, I compared every lil nook and cranny..

It was not just an Apollo, it was like a modified Apollo, for LEO missions(shorter service module), with solar panels and a soyuz-like orbital module.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Sadly there’s a long list of far-from-malign (if somewhat pityful) reasons for such a step.

Hmm, yeah I suppose..but I won't classify him as 'pitiful'... He's a great guy..It's just that it would probably have taken him like a couple of hours to build that model from scratch, if he took it seriously, but he just had to take a shortcut...

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Plot twist: all of them were made by your friend :cool:

My whistle-blower friend? He doesn't know mulch about 3D modelling... And if you are talking about my bf, then I dunno... 

14 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Confront him about it. His reaction will tell you everything that you need to know.

Hmm.yeah I suppose... and what if he did lie?

So... Did he say "I designed this model in Blender and then 3D printed it", or did he say "I made this for you", cause those are two very different things. The second is not a lie. it's semantics. If you plan to build your life around semantics, you will only make life difficult for you and those around you. It's a thing he made on a 3d printer. Just like I don't turn threads on steel dowel stock on my lathe to make screws for a project... I go to the store to get the screws pre-made. Likewise, If I wanted to make something on a 3D printer... well, I'd have to have a 3D printer first ;.;... Okay... But if I did... I'd not consider downloading a file for me to print on my hardware any less making the thing, than if I got screws from the store to put some project together.

Now you had mentioned he uses Blender. If he said that he designed the 3D model from scratch, and you have absolute proof he didn't make it, then that's another thing, kinda... The thing is, how different are 3D models for Apollo? If you're going by the official dimensions, then every model will generally end up looking approximately the same. Of course your friend found an Apollo model online, cause they will literally all be almost the same. Even details such as the infill can be changed purely based on print settings. Did your friend find "A" model online, or did your friend find irrefutable proof that the model is built from this exact file with this exact printing anomaly matching this exact 3D model anomaly... Cause remember... All those models strive to not deviate from the proper shape.

I'm gonna be entirely honest with you...

This sounds paranoid. There. I said it.
This type of thing is actually one of the many reasons I don't date. I gave up on even trying some two decades ago, after seeing one relationship collapse after another absolutely destroy people. I don't really trust anyone anymore, and yeah, I absolutely see the irony... That's paranoid too. The difference is you have someone trying to impress you, trying to make you happy, and you're nitpicking "would you download a car" in a world where now you kinda CAN download "a car" (sorry, it's an old meme). I can tell you, that that distrust will slowly poison things. I honestly think you're overcomplicating things. Even the definition of "make" can be fluid for different people. Some people think make means they have to create every part from scratch. Others, make means designing something on blender and printing it. For some, make might mean downloading a model and printing it with their materials and hardware. For others, buying a kit and assembling it is what they count for making. So yeah, I think your trying to shoot down a moving target, and I feel like your boyfriend doesn't even know you see that target on his back.

That's my opinion though. I'd be so happy to even have someone willing to make, or even to just "make", something like that for me... :(
Looking in from the outside, I think you're lucky, and that your friend is more likely to mess up a good thing out of over-concern.
Enjoy it. If it lasts, then awesome! That's absolutely wonderful! Take things slow and see how they develop. If it doesn't last, then move on and let it be a life lesson...

We aren't nearly that complex... I was reminded of this the entire time...

6icZ3.png

22 minutes ago, Nivee~ said:

My bf didn't even bother to change the filename... And oh they are similar, I compared every lil nook and cranny..

It was not just an Apollo, it was like a modified Apollo, for LEO missions(shorter service module), with solar panels and a soyuz-like orbital module.

Ah, was it possibly a model of the Apollo-Soyuz mission that flew in 1975? It was the last Apollo mission to ever fly, and was an incredible meeting of minds across the "Iron Curtain", at the peak of the cold war. It's incredible that it ever even happened, and yet it did. Truly a symbol of peace between intellectuals, at a time when the governments were still at odds with one another.

If the file name was something like Apollo_Soyuz_1975.something, that that'd be understandable. If it's Apollo_Soyez_232341987, or some other thing like that, then yeah, he definitely downloaded it. Like I said, the word make is something that can be very loosely applied. Many people will happily download a file, adjust it for their own 3D printer, print it, and say they made it...

I still stand by my original question... Did he say he designed the model, or just that he made it.

Edited by richfiles

23 minutes ago, richfiles said:

Did he say "I designed this model in Blender and then 3D printed it", or did he say "I made this for you", cause those are two very different things.

Oh it's not a 3D print! Just a couple of rendered images, that he sent to me on my messenger. We talked about it and he said that he made the blender model himself.

38 minutes ago, richfiles said:

Did your friend find "A" model online, or did your friend find irrefutable proof that the model is built from this exact file with this exact printing anomaly matching this exact 3D model anomaly

Here's the website that I was told he downloaded them from :https://www.alternatehistory.com/wiki/doku.php?id=timelines:eyes_turned_skyward_3d_models .... He said that he made the apollo variants on his own. Maybe he was using these as references? Yeah, it could be. I will ask him after I have calmed down.

43 minutes ago, richfiles said:

This sounds paranoid. There. I said it.

I so hope this is true...

I am not breaking up with him over this, if he confesses. We have been great for each other! But he's going to have to take responsibility and his punishment; I wont just let this slide..And yeah, Valentine's day is ruined...:(

And the whistle-blower, I am going to deck him for ruining it all for me... It's almost as if he intentionally wanted to hurt me emotionally or something... :huh:

On 2/12/2019 at 7:48 AM, YNM said:
On 2/12/2019 at 5:48 AM, richfiles said:

I love that USB C appears to have replaced the shoddy old USB Micro connector as a modern standard.

Is it less prone to fatigue compared to the usual USB-Micro B ?

Every USB C connector I've come across so far has been built like a tank in comparison to USB Micro B. It's a little wider, a little thicker, has a very structurally sound hemi-circular side profile, as opposed to the very flat connector used by USB Micro, and even the metal feels like it might be a hair thicker, though that might be just an illusion in how the end of it is rolled over the end of the inner plastic structure. Even ignoring the fact that you can flip the cable around, it has a positive locking feel, and i just find it better overall. Combined with the high speed and high power delivery, no device made today has any excuse to not switch over to USB C. Micro is dead... Just like the dozen USB Micro cables I've had over the numerous years that failed me. My Nintendo Switch still uses the same USB C cable it came with two years ago.

37 minutes ago, Nivee~ said:

Oh it's not a 3D print! Just a couple of rendered images, that he sent to me on my messenger. We talked about it and he said that he made the blender model himself.

Here's the website that I was told he downloaded them from :https://www.alternatehistory.com/wiki/doku.php?id=timelines:eyes_turned_skyward_3d_models .... He said that he made the apollo variants on his own. Maybe he was using these as references? Yeah, it could be. I will ask him after I have calmed down.

I so hope this is true...

I am not breaking up with him over this, if he confesses. We have been great for each other! But he's going to have to take responsibility and his punishment; I wont just let this slide..And yeah, Valentine's day is ruined...:(

And the whistle-blower, I am going to deck him for ruining it all for me... It's almost as if he intentionally wanted to hurt me emotionally or something... :huh:

Hehe! It goes to show how "make" is such a flexible term, with so many different meanings to different people! It never even occurred to me to consider 3D artwork to be the item being made, and just assumed it was 3D printed. I build things, so to me, make is an act of bringing something into the physical! A fair misunderstanding.

I can't actually see what those file's contents are, as I don't have Blender. I wonder if he took the different parts from different files and "assembled" them together in Blender? I could see some people saying they made the final work, assembling it that way. I dunno. Obviously, the guy was trying to impress you. See where it goes.
I'd say, don't be too harsh on the guy... Guys tend to be at their absolute dumbest when trying to get a gal's attention! :rolleyes:

Edited by richfiles

2 hours ago, Nivee~ said:
Hmm.yeah I suppose... and what if he did lie?

Well, you know, everyone screws up. The real test for any of us isn't, "Have we never screwed up?" it's, "How did we react when we screwed up?" That's why I say that his reaction when you confront him will speak volumes. Does he deny it? Does he get defensive or angry? Or does he own it? Is he repentant? Does he understand that this represents something bigger than it seems? And in the same way, the way we react to people when they screw up speaks volumes about us. Do we forgive? Do we reject? Do we hold grudges?

4 hours ago, richfiles said:

connector

do you mean the male or the female connector ?

tbh the bigger part in determining whether you get fatigue or not is, is the connector directly soldered on the main board or not - if it is then it'll likely to get fatigue. Couldn't help for cable as it'd rip itself due to the way it's made.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:17 AM, p1t1o said:

@Nuke

<dancing>

INside Intel Intel INtel INside Intel intel INtel INside.

I can't figure it out

How to fix these flaws

I wanna punch somebody

But that'd break the law

It doesn't turn on

No matter what I try

IiiiiIiiiiiIiiiiiIiIi..

Hooked on a feeling!

Bum bum bum!

1 hour ago, YNM said:

do you mean the male or the female connector ?

Yes.
Everything about USB C is more robust. I can't stress that enough. To use the Switch as an example, here's the socket.
I'm sure you can buy a cheaper and less reinforced connector, but LOOK at that beast!!! It has a metal screw down strap!

Damaged-Nintendo-Switch-charging-port-re

R9209180-01.jpg

One nice improvement for the plug is that the metal shell on every cable i've seen yet is a single, seamless, formed piece (The same way a metal cooking pot, or a beverage can is formed). The plastic insert containing all the pins is inserted into the metal housing, and the edges rolled over to secure it. The base appears more secure, and the plastic bits look thicker too. Also, since it's symmetrical, trying to put it in backwards doesn't mash against the plastic wafer that holds the pins like it would if you flipped a USB Micro plug the wrong way. I've had those get warped... Micro is just flimsy! The front edge of the connector is rolled over, so it easily glides into the opening, it has large, robust metal pins at the edge that help with centering and plug retention, and by the time the plug reaches the socket's pin wafer, it's already aligned. I've never had a USB C go in crooked or jam.

Just seeing a modern device still have a USB Micro on it annoys me. I will actively avoid USB Micro.

Edited by richfiles

2 hours ago, Gargamel said:

FLOWERS!    They're just colorful weeds..... we do they cost almost the same as a car payment?!?

Because they're said to be prettier than actual weeds? The tulip bubble comes to mind.....

11 hours ago, Nivee~ said:

[...]

It's possible that he really was the original creator, there's some info about him on the wiki you linked: https://www.alternatehistory.com/wiki/doku.php?id=offtopic:nixonshead

If any of that sounds right, then it seems more than likely that you just ran into the online presence of someone you know in real life. A good way to bring it up might be to mention that a friend (or you) recognized the spaceship design from Eyes Turned Skyward.

11 hours ago, richfiles said:

Every USB C connector I've come across so far has been built like a tank in comparison to USB Micro B. It's a little wider, a little thicker, has a very structurally sound hemi-circular side profile, as opposed to the very flat connector used by USB Micro, and even the metal feels like it might be a hair thicker, though that might be just an illusion in how the end of it is rolled over the end of the inner plastic structure. Even ignoring the fact that you can flip the cable around, it has a positive locking feel, and i just find it better overall. Combined with the high speed and high power delivery, no device made today has any excuse to not switch over to USB C. Micro is dead... Just like the dozen USB Micro cables I've had over the numerous years that failed me. My Nintendo Switch still uses the same USB C cable it came with two years ago.

[...]

USB B is my favorite: solid feeling, easy to tell which way it goes in, and satisfyingly clunky to use:

USBPNLBFBMX.C.JPG