Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

2 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

USB B is my favorite: solid feeling, easy to tell which way it goes in, and satisfyingly clunky to use:

I'll give USB B credit. It is definitely solid. That said, after USB A and B, C is the most solid connector I feel Like I've used. Mini B always felt solid to me as well, but C wins for having higher rated insertions and removals, and for the orientation agnostic nature of the port.
Actually, the use of a USB B plug is similar to the instructions for USB A, but with two additional orientations to consider. The Instructions for USB A are as follows...

Step 1: Insert into socket.
Step 2: Flip around when it fails to insert.
Step 3: Flip it back. It was right the first time. You just couldn't line it up right.

To utilize USB B, you must add additional   pylons   steps...

Step 2: Rotate 90° when it fails to insert.
Step 3: Rotate another 90° when it fails to insert.
Step 4: Rotate yet another 90° when it fails to insert. It is important not to throw the device you are attempting to connect, or strangle anyone with the cable.
Step 5: Make a full rotation. It was right the first time. You just couldn't line it up right.

This is yet another reason why I like USB C:

Step 1: Plug it in. It was the right way all along.

3 hours ago, YNM said:

... and so cracking the board...

You realize those straps screw into the case, through the board, so both the connector and the board are solidly secured to the body of the Switch. The plug would still be the weaker point than that connector, but it'd take some force to break it. I couldn't tell you how many times i've knocked my Switch off the desk, by the cord. Two years of that, and it's not showing any signs of notable wear or damage. I've tripped over the cord and launched that thing before. I don't recommend repeating that, but it survived! I do belive the plug would snap before the connector on the Switch would, but unlike USB Micro B, it's robust enough to deal with abuse without just outright failing on the spot. USB Micro B was so thin that the plug could be damaged from even the most minor abuse. USB C doesn't seem to suffer from that same fragility.

19 hours ago, richfiles said:

You realize those straps screw into the case, through the board, so both the connector and the board are solidly secured to the body of the Switch.

Well, fatigue now spreads to the casing. Brilliant !

Or the male connector would still get bent anyway, losing to all the sturdy stuff.

Best practice is just to isolate the female receptor, as has often been done time after time, regardless of what kind of pin/port/connector is it. My laptop even utilizes this on the bloody power charger connector - when the casing got bent from a fall right at the charging port when it was connected, I can still reliably charge afterwards, nor is my motherboard a write-off.

I wonder why mobile manufacturers hasn't done that, given they're used in much poorer positions... Oh wait, they need to make the device razor thin, so thin and slippery that it falls off your hand very easily without any casing, that if installed make the device thicker anyway !

I really do wonder what kind of jam mould any device designers sniff these days.

Edited by YNM

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

Planned obsolescence.

Something has to fail so you can buy a bigger, better, faster and shinier next gen doodad.

Yup. Gotta keep those factories ticking along, while the junkpile of stuff with hard-to-replace dead batteries grows. 

I’ve tried to get batteries replaced, but get told it’s not worth it, here, buy a refurbished unit instead. Which means the battery only has half of its useful life left 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

5 hours ago, richfiles said:

I'll give USB B credit. It is definitely solid. That said, after USB A and B, C is the most solid connector I feel Like I've used. Mini B always felt solid to me as well, but C wins for having higher rated insertions and removals, and for the orientation agnostic nature of the port.
Actually, the use of a USB B plug is similar to the instructions for USB A, but with two additional orientations to consider. The Instructions for USB A are as follows...

Step 2: Flip around when it fails to insert.
Step 3: Flip it back. It was right the first time. You just couldn't line it up right.

To utilize USB B, you must add additional   pylons   steps...

Step 2: Rotate 90° when it fails to insert.
Step 3: Rotate another 90° when it fails to insert.
Step 4: Rotate yet another 90° when it fails to insert. It is important not to throw the device you are attempting to connect, or strangle anyone with the cable.
Step 5: Make a full rotation. It was right the first time. You just couldn't line it up right.

This is yet another reason why I like USB C:

Step 1: Plug it in. It was the right way all along.

You realize those straps screw into the case, through the board, so both the connector and the board are solidly secured to the body of the Switch. The plug would still be the weaker point than that connector, but it'd take some force to break it. I couldn't tell you how many times i've knocked my Switch off the desk, by the cord. Two years of that, and it's not showing any signs of notable wear or damage. I've tripped over the cord and launched that thing before. I don't recommend repeating that, but it survived! I do belive the plug would snap before the connector on the Switch would, but unlike USB Micro B, it's robust enough to deal with abuse without just outright failing on the spot. USB Micro B was so thin that the plug could be damaged from even the most minor abuse. USB C doesn't seem to suffer from that same fragility.

USB C is great but the only things I can find with the sockets are MacBooks and I can't find a DeathAdder in USB C, so it's a bit problematic.

I opened steam and got the message "Steam will stop running on MacOS in 0 days" :0.0:

I have not gamed much, outside of playing Pokemon Let's Go on my switch, or Pokemon Go on my phone. Prior to that, I simply didn't have time for gaming, cause I had been putting in 50 hour weeks at my former lab job, and still working a second job at the machine shop

Apparently, after supporting Windows XP for a "measly" 18 years, Steam decided to also stop supporting all Mac OS versions older than 5 years old. To put into perspective... Since XP, there has been Vista, 7, 8, and 10. Four primary OS versions since then, in 18 years. On Mac OS, Apple releases a new version EVERY FREAKIN' YEAR, and every year many old (even a old as gasp! ONE YEAR) apps BREAK if they aren't updated to be compliant with whatever changes Apple plonks into the new OS. This isn't even to mention hardware cutoffs, when Apple arbitrarily decides hardware passed a certain date can't be upgraded (It can, with hacks)...

Steam decided to cut of ALL Mac OS users who are using an OS older than 2014... Apple has put out in 5 years, the same number of "revisions" Microsoft has done in 18, except those aren't really major revisions in most cases... Apple just has their weird versioning system, and their planned obsolescence. I run 10.10. Since then they have put out 10.11, 10.12, 10.13, and 10.14... They've been on Mac OS "ten" since the early 2000s! Everything about their stupid versioning is arbitrary!

Since I run a Hackintosh, I don't wanna do any update that risks harming my existing install, and since the last time I went from a hard drive to an SSD, it means I now need to buy a second SSD, JUST to safely upgrade my OS, JUST so I can play games, and probably break a bunch of software... Not to mention that on my 2013 era Intel i7 3770k CPU, Mac os 10.14 is gonna be a bear of a slowdown, I'm sure...

I'd much prefer apple give their OS away for free to Mac hardware buyers, and offer it for a price to PC owners. At least then installing new versions wouldn't be such a kraken fest! I mean... Once you have your customized boot loader, it works just fine... I've been using this Hackintosh since 2013!

In summary... Apple sucks, Steam sucks, and I HATE not having PHYSICAL, LOCAL, DRM FREE copies of my games...

Thankfully, as we all know, KSP is one of the few exceptions... I can't thank Squad enough for the fact that this game isn't bound by such absurd limitations! Sadly, that can't be said of most of the rest of my Steam library, but I know this... KSP will ALWAYS be available for me to run, whenever, and wherever I like!

Edited by richfiles

22 hours ago, Gargamel said:

FLOWERS!    They're just colorful weeds..... we do they cost almost the same as a car payment?!?

And to top this off.... She didn't even go to work today...  They were supposed to be a surprise...   :|

I really don't know if I'm irrationally being way too saddened by Opportunity :( 

4 hours ago, richfiles said:

I opened steam and got the message "Steam will stop running on MacOS in 0 days" :0.0:

I have not gamed much, outside of playing Pokemon Let's Go on my switch, or Pokemon Go on my phone. Prior to that, I simply didn't have time for gaming, cause I had been putting in 50 hour weeks at my former lab job, and still working a second job at the machine shop

Apparently, after supporting Windows XP for a "measly" 18 years, Steam decided to also stop supporting all Mac OS versions older than 5 years old. To put into perspective... Since XP, there has been Vista, 7, 8, and 10. Four primary OS versions since then, in 18 years. On Mac OS, Apple releases a new version EVERY FREAKIN' YEAR, and every year many old (even a old as gasp! ONE YEAR) apps BREAK if they aren't updated to be compliant with whatever changes Apple plonks into the new OS. This isn't even to mention hardware cutoffs, when Apple arbitrarily decides hardware passed a certain date can't be upgraded (It can, with hacks)...

Steam decided to cut of ALL Mac OS users who are using an OS older than 2014... Apple has put out in 5 years, the same number of "revisions" Microsoft has done in 18, except those aren't really major revisions in most cases... Apple just has their weird versioning system, and their planned obsolescence. I run 10.10. Since then they have put out 10.11, 10.12, 10.13, and 10.14... They've been on Mac OS "ten" since the early 2000s! Everything about their stupid versioning is arbitrary!

Since I run a Hackintosh, I don't wanna do any update that risks harming my existing install, and since the last time I went from a hard drive to an SSD, it means I now need to buy a second SSD, JUST to safely upgrade my OS, JUST so I can play games, and probably break a bunch of software... Not to mention that on my 2013 era Intel i7 3770k CPU, Mac os 10.14 is gonna be a bear of a slowdown, I'm sure...

I'd much prefer apple give their OS away for free to Mac hardware buyers, and offer it for a price to PC owners. At least then installing new versions wouldn't be such a kraken fest! I mean... Once you have your customized boot loader, it works just fine... I've been using this Hackintosh since 2013!

In summary... Apple sucks, Steam sucks, and I HATE not having PHYSICAL, LOCAL, DRM FREE copies of my games...

Thankfully, as we all know, KSP is one of the few exceptions... I can't thank Squad enough for the fact that this game isn't bound by such absurd limitations! Sadly, that can't be said of most of the rest of my Steam library, but I know this... KSP will ALWAYS be available for me to run, whenever, and wherever I like!

Most times games seem like an afterthought on Mac. It really sucks Apple is so stubborn, and it kinda sucks that it seems developing on Macs seems hard. 1/3rd of my games give me problems, including KSP. Not detrimental, just really annoying and frustrating...

4 hours ago, richfiles said:

Apple sucks, Steam sucks, and I HATE not having PHYSICAL, LOCAL, DRM FREE copies of my games...

That's why I pretty much only buy games on GOG. I have zero tolerance for DRM, and Steam is garbage.

7 hours ago, richfiles said:

I'd much prefer apple give their OS away for free to Mac hardware buyers, and offer it for a price to PC owners.

Or you can use Win7. I'm very glad I installed it on my laptop.

It's astonishing, and somewhat disturbing, how willing people are to give up control of their stuff for a little convenience.
All those games you guys own on steam, valve can disappear them whenever they want and there's nothing you can do to stop it. The online communities you build through steam, valve can demolish at will.

Centralisation leads to concentration of power, and that truly sucks. Bring back self-hosted online gaming I say.

27 minutes ago, steve_v said:

It's astonishing, and somewhat disturbing, how willing people are to give up control of their stuff for a little convenience.
All those games you guys own on steam, valve can disappear them whenever they want and there's nothing you can do to stop it. The online communities you build through steam, valve can demolish at will.

Centralisation leads to concentration of power, and that truly sucks. Bring back self-hosted online gaming I say.

It’s only going to get worse from here.

That’s the way the world is, I’m afraid.

1 hour ago, Bill Phil said:

That’s the way the world is, I’m afraid.

Perhaps so, but it still frustrates the hell out of me because it doesn't have to be so. The laziness of the many simply overwhelms the effort of the few.
Many people, small individual changes, problem defused. Easy, right?
Then the old proverb regarding horses and water crops up.

I've bought a few things from GoG, and I intend to do it more often. I never much cared for Steam, but for a while it felt like that was a "necessary evil". I avoided it like the plague for years, then finally gave in, honestly for Farming Simulator and KSP. Thankfully KSP is SANE!

On a side note, Pokemon Go had a Valentines day event... One of the tasks was to find a Chansey.

I went out in my car twice today, spun the pokestop outside my front door several times... Got my car stuck in a snow drift with 33 MPH winds and 6°F/-14°C temps... I even chilled by the hospital, in hopes it might be a "thematic" spawn (Chansey is always seen with the nurse at the pokecenter in the games and anime)... I was out and about from 4 PM till 11PM... hours and HOURS out in the frigid weather... Well, at least I snagged a porygon out there... I'd been wanting one for a while, and this was the first I'd ever seen out there.

Finally, after giving up and going home...
A chansey finally spawned once I'd sat down at my computer desk... Really? :huh:

42 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

"Uh, you're being really distracting to me and I'd like you to stop"

Someone’s projected so hard they might become a cinematographer.

"New twist to Avenger's endgame!" "Which original Avenger will die in Avengers : Endgame?" "Is Star-Lord the key to defeating Thanos?" "Is Thanos really the villain in Endgame?" "Will Ultron be coming back?".....

"Hidden easter eggs in GoT superbowl ad" "Will The Mountain face off against a dragon?"....

Dear NEWS websites, your job is to deliver relevant news. Not promoting speculation about a problem that will solve itself in a few months! :mad:

1 hour ago, Nivee~ said:

GoT ... "Will The Mountain face off against a dragon?"....

(not spoilers, but just in case)

Spoiler

Let Zomboking and Dragonmom marry and rule together from Harrenhal (why not, the place is nice).
Also then they can sing a song of ice and fire as a duet.

(I wouldn't be surprised if the Blue Face is one more Targarien, too. Anyway, there's as many of them as cockroaches.)

Jon "Know Nothing" Snow unlikely can marry Daenerys "Fried Eggs" Targarien, as he has given the Nicht Wacht oath, and he takes such things seriously (so, I doubt he is really a targarien).
Let them hire him as a wall keeper and send his grumpy-dumpy face away to start rebuilding the Wall and to stop shading the landscape. 
(He could compete with the Blue King in the facial emotions.)

(It's a pity that Ramsey and Miranda have gone. :(
They were such a nice pair. With them Westeros was if not better then at least brighter.
Also in the movie (unlike the book) Ramsey was a real forest sweeper, cleaning Westeros from various rotten persons.
Also somebody should be feeding the puppies.

I began disliking Sansa "Six Feet of Acedia" Stark since s01e01, and now she has taken away several most joyful characters.)

Cersei "Drink Dink" Lannister will be probably killed by her new child ("the youngest bro" or how does the prophecy call him) during the King Haven big fire.
The King Haven just has to fire because it's obviously a southern Sin City to be burnt contrary to the frozen North. It just can not not be burnt.

I would not be surprised if Jamie "One-and-Halfhand" or "Halfhand-but-not-Qhorin" Lannister would die defending her, as there should be at least somebody normal in that family (and this is not about height).
Anyway something should stop his romance with Brienne of Tarth (no nicknames, as the teeth are worth more), as in the book the mentioned Brienne is dead for a long ago. It's not nice to have a romance with zombies.

Varys could be a nice prime minister for Dragonmom and Blue Face, but unlikely for two reasons.
1) He can freeze off his ears (happily, only ears).
2) He dislikes magic. Absolutely. So, no magic - no minister.
He'll either bravely die (as nobody awaits this), or wisely hide (and start being a future problem).

I think, the latter, because Theon "No Joy" Greyjoy should do the former.
Because he is a dirty traitor, and should do something heroic. And what else heroic can do this loser?
Probably together with Asha "Yara" Greyjoy.

As Thyrion "Alter Ego" Lannister is an alter ego of the author, probably he'll be an old writer who has told the whole story.

Edited by kerbiloid