Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

On 3/15/2019 at 9:33 AM, Geonovast said:

I can tell neither of you has ever built a computer... :P

Of course I built my computer! I'm still suffering that hack job (literal Hackintosh) 5 years later. :confused:
I've NEVER seen the fans on my GTX 980ti spin, and it made me paranoid, so I just put case fans on it.

Edited by richfiles

9 hours ago, YNM said:

If you notice, the pins would zig-zag in the wrong way as well..

Pins? What pins?

You must see what happens when someone shoves a VGA extender cable plug on a DB9 RS232 port...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYMMZ5vvegYh0OvN6oP9a

56 minutes ago, Delay said:

I'm still in my depressive "I can't draw" phase.

I love psychology, but sometimes it's just a pain.

Looks like "I'll just have to wait it out" didn't work as well as it usually does. Now what?

Why do you want to draw? Why not something else, like writing? Or maybe something more artistic like 3d modelling?

5 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

I'm still in my depressive "I can't draw" phase.

I forget what it is you were drawing, but maybe try to shift focus onto another subject. If you're trying to draw something like organic scenes, maybe try technical drawing instead. You know, just to mix it up. Try something different, or something technical, that you can better control, and work out from there.

8 hours ago, Delay said:

Looks like "I'll just have to wait it out" didn't work as well as it usually does.

Just do it. As I've said, it's your imagination that counts.

We bought an '05 travel trailer at the end of January. Just got it back from having the roof and stuff resealed. Got a call today from the storage lot that the front end was hit by the SUV limo that parks behind it, peeling back the front panel and breaking the hitch lock. The foot of the jack was dragged a good foot sideways, and is now two inches under the gravel. :mad:

Hope it can get fixed quickly, as we intended to go "camping" (back-country campers would laugh at what we call camping) at the end of spring break.

I just spent 5 hours trying to make a facebook account.  Weirdly, I don't plan on uploading anything or using any social media- I just get really obsessed with solving a technology problem whenever I get one.  I have no idea why I even stated.  However, creating a new facebook account is the most arduous process ever.  First, you have to enter your email, which took over 2 hours as I had to go through 13 different email services before I found one that facebook recognized.  Then, you have to take a picture of your face, but I reloaded the page until it bypassed that, because why the heck would I let them take my personal data before I even have an account.  Finally, I have to register my mobile number, despite not having one.  I went to 23 different disposable number services, made a whole excel spreadsheet, and every single one is not recognized as a valid number.  How does facebook have billions of users if its practically impossible to make an account.  I even had to use my real email, but that still wasn't enough verification.  Meanwhile, actual bots go through facebook to spread propaganda, while the actual users can access at all.  This is possibly the worst website ever created.   

5 hours ago, DAL59 said:

I just spent 5 hours trying to make a facebook account.  Weirdly, I don't plan on uploading anything or using any social media- I just get really obsessed with solving a technology problem whenever I get one.  I have no idea why I even stated.  However, creating a new facebook account is the most arduous process ever.  First, you have to enter your email, which took over 2 hours as I had to go through 13 different email services before I found one that facebook recognized.  Then, you have to take a picture of your face, but I reloaded the page until it bypassed that, because why the heck would I let them take my personal data before I even have an account.  Finally, I have to register my mobile number, despite not having one.  I went to 23 different disposable number services, made a whole excel spreadsheet, and every single one is not recognized as a valid number.  How does facebook have billions of users if its practically impossible to make an account.  I even had to use my real email, but that still wasn't enough verification.  Meanwhile, actual bots go through facebook to spread propaganda, while the actual users can access at all.  This is possibly the worst website ever created.   

With facebook, people are not the users, people are the product.

You fail to provide enough usable material to them, you are no use to them.

Facebook only seems like a "service", it is not, it is a machine to monetise you. Social media was not actually invented for anyone's benefit other than the inventors.

Thought about in this way, facebook and facebook's activities suddenly make much more sense.

I know that sounds supremely cynical, but its right, no matter which way you cut it.

And maybe thats ok, this is capitalism after all, FB doesnt put a gun to anyone's head.

But assuming that facebook is a service obligated to help us in any way is a pathway to disappointment and possible harm.

Edited by p1t1o

7 hours ago, DAL59 said:

Meanwhile, actual bots go through facebook to spread propaganda, while the actual users can access at all.  This is possibly the worst website ever created.   

"Bots" is simply a term used to de-humanize people with opinions that differ from the mainstream opinion. It's offensive.

Some of those people are not bright. They belive whatever they read from source X, and parrot it on Facebook without a further thought. That doesn't make them a bot... It makes them dumb. Unfortunately, any speech that goes against the mainstream narrative is lumped together with them. It means anyone with a different opinion, even an informed one, can be easily dismissed by lumping them together with the less bright group.

Try not to fall for that "bot" stuff. It's highly politicized, offensive, and likely won't lead to any discussion that belongs on the forum.

43 minutes ago, richfiles said:

"Bots" is simply a term used to de-humanize people with opinions that differ from the mainstream opinion. It's offensive.

Some of those people are not bright. They belive whatever they read from source X, and parrot it on Facebook without a further thought. That doesn't make them a bot... It makes them dumb. Unfortunately, any speech that goes against the mainstream narrative is lumped together with them. It means anyone with a different opinion, even an informed one, can be easily dismissed by lumping them together with the less bright group.

Try not to fall for that "bot" stuff. It's highly politicized, offensive, and likely won't lead to any discussion that belongs on the forum.

Oh, there are bots. There are also actual people. Differentiating the two is certainly difficult. The inclusion of Poes (people joking about what they believe) makes this even worse: you have people with genuine opinions, people who are joking about opinions, and bots/“fake” accounts. It’s difficult to navigate as a result.

There’s a reason that our forum accounts are verified - bots are generally not good for a social media platform, for a variety of reasons. Spamming genuine users, spreading false information purposfully, and more. Sometimes bots have genuine uses, but such bots are usually verified and designed for positive things.

It’s impossible to really know how many bots there are, but they’re there...

8 hours ago, DAL59 said:

Huh.

That’s weird. I got a facebook account in a matter of minutes - though only to respond to a comment on an article somewhere. Haven’t used the thing since.

11 minutes ago, roboslacker said:

My high school engineering teacher doesn't teach, instead he just gives us a digital textbook and has us teach ourselves.

Then it's fair to let you grade your works yourself.

6 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

It’s impossible to really know how many bots there are, but they’re there...

And there is a whole thread devoted to the bots verification.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, richfiles said:

That doesn't make them a bot... It makes them dumb.

If a person lacks personality, he is a non-personal character, NPC.

My wife tried to make a coffee this morning, and the super automatic espresso machine dispensed from the steam wand, instead of the infuser. First world problems, right? Looks like a bad solenoid, need to send it to Colorado to be repaired, else I have to take it apart myself (last repair I did myself, this one seems more complex).

I could just replace the machine, but it's done well (more than 25,000 espresso shots pulled in its lifetime so far), so I'm waiting to get the estimate for repair.

4 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Facebook only seems like a "service", it is not, it is a machine to monetise you. Social media was not actually invented for anyone's benefit other than the inventors. 

I agree that one of the reasons social media is a large industry is because of this, but I think that the inventors most likely had good intentions. For one thing, I doubt anyone could have predicted facebook would be so valuable when it was invented.

7 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I agree that one of the reasons social media is a large industry is because of this, but I think that the inventors most likely had good intentions. For one thing, I doubt anyone could have predicted facebook would be so valuable when it was invented.

Since it was invented for a small group of students to share notes and homework assignments, you're probably right.  It was several years old before you could even sign up without a .edu email address.