Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

2 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I just found out that this Thursday (it's Monday now), the whole entire year level will be doing synchronized swimming as part of 'Manhood Journey' program. How does it have anything to do with manhood?! I hate swimming! I only participated in the school swimming carnival because I had to, and because I was bribed with KFC by my dad! Why do I have to do SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMING???!!!!1 

More concerning, you have a (and I emphasize/over dramatize here) a "MANHOOD JOURNEY" program? Why does this "MANHOOD JOURNEY" program even exist? What's the point of it?

I do like swimming though. Was sorta ish kinda on a swim team kinda thing for a bit that was neat. Still don't see how its a part of a "MANHOOD JOURNEY" program. And how it would be considered manly (I don't judge, but its not really considered a manly activity like I don't know, woodchopping).

Still, best of luck with it, hope you don't drown and that the "MANHOOD JOURNEY" goes well. Maybe you could even get out of it if you're lucky.

38 minutes ago, qzgy said:

More concerning, you have a (and I emphasize/over dramatize here) a "MANHOOD JOURNEY" program? Why does this "MANHOOD JOURNEY" program even exist? What's the point of it?

I do like swimming though. Was sorta ish kinda on a swim team kinda thing for a bit that was neat. Still don't see how its a part of a "MANHOOD JOURNEY" program. And how it would be considered manly (I don't judge, but its not really considered a manly activity like I don't know, woodchopping).

Still, best of luck with it, hope you don't drown and that the "MANHOOD JOURNEY" goes well. Maybe you could even get out of it if you're lucky.

The manhood journey thing is a subject that tries to help us in our 'transition' from child to adult. It has some good stuff, like respecting other people and what to do if your friends offer you drugs or participate in a drinking game. Then there's 'The Solo', where we go on a four day camp and just get dumped somewhere with a sheet and piece of string, have to make and sleep in our own shelter, cooking food and collecting water, that kind of stuff. So we pretty much have to fend for ourselves for four days, and are supposed to come back with an understanding of 'clear mind' and other stuff. 

2 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Yeah. Synchronized rocket landing is way more fun.

Except for when two of your rockets land on pads but the third one hits the ocean at supersonic speed

20 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Then there's 'The Solo', where we go on a four day camp and just get dumped somewhere with a sheet and piece of string, have to make and sleep in our own shelter, cooking food and collecting water, that kind of stuff. So we pretty much have to fend for ourselves for four days, and are supposed to come back with an understanding of 'clear mind' and other stuff. 

How do you like learn not to die and stuff? Or is their lots of food readily available in like fruits and so on?

And that at all doesn't seem at all to help "clear minds up"

18 hours ago, qzgy said:

How do you like learn not to die and stuff? Or is their lots of food readily available in like fruits and so on?

And that at all doesn't seem at all to help "clear minds up"

We are literally just put in an area, given instructions to find food and water, given materials to build a shelter,  and left there for four days. We have to find food ourselves. If we want to cook something we hunt for it, kill it, and then cook it. 

3 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

We are literally just put in an area, given instructions to find food and water, given materials to build a shelter,  and left there for four days. We have to find food ourselves. If we want to cook something we hunt for it, kill it, and then cook it. 

What country is this in?

1 hour ago, munlander1 said:

What country is this in?

'Straya (Australia), if I remember the person well enough and his former posts.

Edited by qzgy

27 minutes ago, qzgy said:

'Straya (Australia), if I remember the person well enough and his former posts.

Yeah. I'm thinking of just packing some meals that I just heat over a fire or something to cook. Like some ration packs or stuff like that. I'm not the type of person who will actually kill animals, even for food (and I'm not wanting an argument about meat consumption against vegetarianism). I'll probably take some 2 minute noodles, pre-cooked chicken tenders (that I just put in the pan above the fire), and chocolate (in an esky to not melt).

2 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Yeah. I'm thinking of just packing some meals that I just heat over a fire or something to cook. Like some ration packs or stuff like that. I'm not the type of person who will actually kill animals, even for food (and I'm not wanting an argument about meat consumption against vegetarianism). I'll probably take some 2 minute noodles, pre-cooked chicken tenders (that I just put in the pan above the fire), and chocolate (in an esky to not melt).

You're allowed to do that? Seems... cheaty. Would take granola bars actually. No cooking needed and are nice and sweet. And some freeze dried stuff you can make just by boiling water. If you're staying in one place, you actually probably don't need that much food. Just enough to keep you alive for a couple days.

Rule of threes - Three minutes without O2, Three hours without shelter, Three days without water, 3 weeks without food. It'll be unpleasant, but you can survive.

So you might not even need that much food....

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

You're allowed to do that? Seems... cheaty. Would take granola bars actually. No cooking needed and are nice and sweet. And some freeze dried stuff you can make just by boiling water. If you're staying in one place, you actually probably don't need that much food. Just enough to keep you alive for a couple days.

Rule of threes - Three minutes without O2, Three hours without shelter, Three days without water, 3 weeks without food. It'll be unpleasant, but you can survive.

No, we're not allowed to, but I'm doing it anyway

56 minutes ago, razark said:

In a what, now?

Wait... you've never heard of an esky before?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esky

3 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Wait... you've never heard of an esky before?

No. I had to look this up as well. They're called coolers in the US of A.

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

'Straya (Australia)

Of course it's in Australia. I mean, everything's trying to kill you anyways, so why don't you just kill this everything instead?

Just kidding. But that is insane, and not the good kind.

4 hours ago, razark said:

No, I'm not from Australia.  I speak English. :wink:

But Australians also speak English. Unless you're talking about American English or want to imply that you are from Britain

(Now that I've posted this I've realised how I've probably just ruined a joke. Sorry for that :( 

4 hours ago, Delay said:

Just kidding. But that is insane, and not the good kind.

I know. More than one kid has come back shaken and looked beaten up.

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space
Adding the reason for ruining the joke

6 hours ago, qzgy said:

Was in the "Combined Cadet Force" at school.

As part of a summer camp, we went on one of these "survival" courses.

We were all very excited, we were even searched  for any food we might be taking with us.

We were shown how to build several types of trap, how to skin rabbits, brew nettle tea, which tree bark you could eat etc.

We built bivouacs in the forest.

And then they wheeled out containers of hot chicken for everyone! What?!

Talk about disappointing! We all wanted to see how well we could survive!

I *suppose* there might have been some "health+safety" issue with leaving a group of teens alone in the woods and expecting them to eat the local wildlife.

I mean, what could go wrong?

7 hours ago, qzgy said:

Well my metabolism rate says otherwise. My weight fluctuates daily from 27 to 30kg, and the average weight of a person my age is 50kg. So I need to eat large meals just to keep my weight up. 

1 hour ago, Antstar said:

I'm proudly A Strayian. Means I can mix and match. So I know how to say aluminium properly but don't need to write sulfur with a ph :P

Good to know. We also say Maccas instead of McDonalds, and have the cure to cooling off instantly: Zooper Doopers 

On 2/26/2018 at 5:37 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Sounds like a wilderness survival trip with scouts. But even as an outdoorsy guy, this sounds unproductive and a waste of time. One or two nights is fun and teaches/reinforces basic skills. You mess around in the wilderness for a day. But four? With minimal supplies? And it's required? I don't know how this clears your mind. I come back from a regular weekend trip with normal gear (food, tent, etc.) dead tired and barely able to drive, not with a cleared mind.

On 2/27/2018 at 12:37 AM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Maybe you should change schools...

What happens if you skip it? I know for one that there's no way I'd kill another animal, so I'd probably end up starving if I were you lol

6 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

Maybe you should change schools...

What happens if you skip it? I know for one that there's no way I'd kill another animal, so I'd probably end up starving if I were you lol

I am not changing schools, but our parents were given a permission slip to let us do this (but at that time, they hadn't told the parents what we were doing in the program).

9 hours ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

Sounds like a wilderness survival trip with scouts. But even as an outdoorsy guy, this sounds unproductive and a waste of time. One or two nights is fun and teaches/reinforces basic skills. You mess around in the wilderness for a day. But four? With minimal supplies? And it's required? I don't know how this clears your mind. I come back from a regular weekend trip with normal gear (food, tent, etc.) dead tired and barely able to drive, not with a cleared mind.

Don't forget 'It's all peaceful', and 'a great time for self reflection' (as you stay up in the night too scared to sleep, hungry and miserable, huddled in your 'shelter' made by a sheet and piece of string). 

13 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I am not changing schools, but our parents were given a permission slip to let us do this (but at that time, they hadn't told the parents what we were doing in the program).

Don't forget 'It's all peaceful', and 'a great time for self reflection' (as you stay up in the night too scared to sleep, hungry and miserable, huddled in your 'shelter' made by a sheet and piece of string). 

Is that in the summer? Because If not, I hope that it's not as cold as up here in the northern hemisphere!

It's currently -2°C at 32km/h winds. Very cold when it easily was 10° just two days prior.

Edited by Delay