Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

Humanity is a crazy mix of whackjobs. Its easy to forget that "normal" people are probably in the top 10% of sane/intelligent people.

Im not sure if I *hate* weddings. I dont particularly like attending them, but I am quite looking forward to my own, but thats not going to happen for a couple years (house first).

But yeah some people be really freaking nuts about weddings.

Apparently a tip-top-tip is never mention its for a wedding when negotiating things like catering or flowers. Suddenly its all "Oh you must let me show you our wedding collection (and wedding rates)."

Speaking of flowers, forget the dress have you seen how much people pay for flowers!

Honestly I have no idea how much it will end up costing, fiance and me are pretty much in agreeance with most people here, in that spending stupid money is stupid.

One extravagance I do want, is that Im going to spend a few hundred on my ring, which I intend to make an heirloom. We dont have any heirlooms since a housefire made a total loss out of my dads parents house (mums parents are a long story).

Did I mention its going to be made out of titanium from an SR-71?

Today I was off and decided to go to a small local museum, about 1 hour of driving from my place. On the highway, I got one dumb guy in a large pickup who find a way to some what fishtail right in front of me. He probably was on his phone and was surprise by the exit position. Two hours later while coming back I didn't had one, but two of these guys! While I was overtaking the central line another driver, just in front of the one on my right, decided that it was the perfect time for him to go on the left, without any lights on of course. As this silly man did not even accelerate a bit just in case, I had to hit the brake to not stamp it in the next second...

I got enough, nearly everyday it's the same story, and I finally decided to invest my weekly tips in a dash cam some minutes later. Just in case.

On 08/03/2018 at 1:33 AM, Vanamonde said:

Today somebody quoted insults in this thread and I had to edit them out, and then edit them out of the posts of all the people who quoted that post. :mad: 

My apologies sir.

3 hours ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

I have my SAT tomorrow... I'm not freaking out at all.

Good luck! i have to take some too....

Every day I'm astonished by how much of a wasteful society we are.  I don't mean the big stuff.  I mean the little things that nobody thinks twice about.

This morning I was at a gas station getting caffeine for the day.  I get to the register, and the cashier goes to bag it up.

She opens the bag, mutters "Oh no, this one is way too big," proceeds to throw that bag away, and gets me a smaller one.

I'm no expert, but I think the larger bag would have worked just fine.

I was also at another station quite a ways back, working on their ATM.  I was there right during the transition between breakfast and lunch, and watched them throw a good 5-6 unsold breakfast sandwiches right in the trash so they could put up the burgers and whatnot.  It's appalling to see, and gets much worse when you realize that every gas station likely does that every day.

Edited by Geonovast

8 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Every day I'm astonished by how much of a wasteful society we are.  I don't me the big stuff.  I mean the little things that nobody thinks twice about.

This morning I was at a gas station getting caffeine for the day.  I get to the register, and the cashier goes to bag it up.

She opens the bag, mutters "Oh no, this one is way too big," proceeds to throw that bag away, and gets me a smaller one.

I'm no expert, but I think the larger bag would have worked just fine.

I was also at another station quite a ways back, working on their ATM.  I was there right during the transition between breakfast and lunch, and watched them throw a good 5-6 unsold breakfast sandwiches right in the trash so they could put up the burgers and whatnot.  It's appauling to see, and gets much worse when you realize that every gas station likely does that every day.

At first i thought the best way to fight world hunger is by building more farms and to improve agriculture. I changed my mind. I geuss its time to teach people that everything expect dirt is valuable, and you shouldn't waste it and throw it in the bin, without thinking twice.

Have y'all seem the Ready Player One trailer? They're replacing the first 'challenge' and gate with a car race. WHAT THE HECK?! And the character Aech is a HUMAN, not a flippin' SUPER MUTANT! (proceeds to punch Stephen speilberg)

The school system in the Netherlands is extremely different compared to the US school system. So whenever i am what ''Grade'' im in, im confused. I either have to assume what grade im in based on my age, just say uuhhhh like i not very intelligent or do a 1-hour explanation of how the school system in The Netherlands work.

17 hours ago, NSEP said:

The school system in the Netherlands is extremely different compared to the US school system. So whenever i am what ''Grade'' im in, im confused. I either have to assume what grade im in based on my age, just say uuhhhh like i not very intelligent or do a 1-hour explanation of how the school system in The Netherlands work.

One hour explanation please :)

17 hours ago, NSEP said:

....or do a 1-hour explanation of how the school system in The Netherlands work.

4 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

I have to agree with @munlander1... you've tweaked my curiosity, and I think I'd also like to hear the long version now. :wink:

18 hours ago, NSEP said:

I dont even think we have a fixed scheme here in the UK. I attended 2 different schools with 2 different scheme and they never seem to be the same ones that anyone else had.

When I was 12 I was in "year 8" and the next year I was in another school where I was in "4th form" (so "year 8" would have been equivalent to "3rd form")

So I just go by how old I was at the time.

"What grade were you in?"

"I was 12"

PS: in my 2nd school, the year after 4th form was called "remove", THEN you went into 5th form. Like there was a year just called "remove". Yeah I know.

2 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

When I was 12 I was in "year 8" and the next year I was in another school where I was in "4th form" (so "year 8" would have been equivalent to "3rd form")

Sounds like year is grade. Form sounds like Highschool to me.

37 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

30 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I have to agree with @munlander1... you've tweaked my curiosity, and I think I'd also like to hear the long version now. :wink:

Ok, sure, here we go:

So you when you are 4-5 years old, you go to the 'Basisschool' (Elementary school) (Elementary school might be different depending the school, this is mainly my experience) Basisschool starts at Group 1, for me, Group 1 and 2 were very simulair, since we both shared the same classroom, i even thought i was in Group 2 when i actually was in Group 1 for a while. I can't remember exactly what we learned in Group 1-2, but we didn't  have any test or homework to do.

In Group 3 things change alot, because now you get actual work to do. In Group 3 we only had maths, our native language (dutch) and some other subjects i can't remember, Group 4 was also pretty simulair to Group 3. In Group 5 you get History, Biology, Physics and Bicycle Traffic as new Subjects. Things don't change much in Group 6.

Group 7-8 are the final years for Elementary school. At this time, our elementary school started teaching English for the first time. Group 8 by doing a musical, and when you get out of the Basisschool, you go to the Middelbare school (Middle/High school)

This is where stuff gets a bit more real and a bit more complicated. In the Middelbare School there are multiple sections, you have VMBO, MAVO, HAVO and VWO. VMBO and MAVO lead to MBO, (is education on a practical side) while HAVO and VWO lead to HBO (wich lead to higher class education). If you are really fancy and smart the Gymnasium is for you, i don't know much about that other than that they teach Latin there.

The Middelbare is also where stuff gets more confusing when talking to a 'foreigner'. See, when we go to the Middelbare, we don't continue with the 'group' system we had in Elementary, so our first year isn't Group 9, but its Class 1. (1 group/class is 1 year by the way) At max there are 6 total classes. But for HAVO its 5 and MAVO/VMBO just 4 classes. This also starts confusion on what middle/high school is, but middle school is called the 'onderbouw' and high school the 'bovenbouw'. 

When you first go to the Middelbare, things change alot. I go to MAVO, but if they taught spaceflight history i would be in VWO right now, lol. When i was in elementary i though that lockers, having to transport your own books, exams, and all that was just a Hollywood thing or a US only thing. But it turned to be true. I remember my school bag being 2/3 the size of me XD. Anyways, Class 1-2 (onderbouw) are all the subjects you had in elementary (excluding French and German) but in alot more detail.

Class 3 (bovenbouw) is when you get to choose what subjects you want and don't want anymore. In MAVO 3 we also have to become interns for specific jobs.  Class 4 is when the final exams of the MAVO start, and after that, you can either jump to HAVO/VWO or go to college or something, and thats where all the confusion of the school systems ends.

Thats pretty much it!

On 3/9/2018 at 1:56 PM, Geonovast said:

Every day I'm astonished by how much of a wasteful society we are.  I don't mean the big stuff.  I mean the little things that nobody thinks twice about.

Could not agree more with you. Every time I'm going to a market/super market I'm fulling the bags myself or asking the guys to put as much as possible in them, instead of placing just a single 300g/10oz pack of meat in its own bag. Every time they are looking at me like an alien coming from another world.

Without talking about these peoples I'm seeing every days and who are washing their hands while leaving the tap open for many seconds while they are applying the soap... and it's not only where I'm living for now. I can remember seeing my grand-father constantly pouring water when shaving, what was the interest? None.

Another good one is what I can see at the food court of the mall. Peoples constantly throwing away food, sometime more than 50 % of they took. I understand that our vision differs according to the local needs and resources, but for someone who grew up in a place where a pack of 6 bottles of water cost the price of 8 bottles of beer, and where we showered with rainwater from a tank, I still do not understand how much it can be spoiled by those who always had access to it.

Have y'all seem the Ready Player One trailer? They're replacing the first 'challenge' and gate with a car race. WHAT THE HECK?! And the character Aech is a HUMAN, not a flippin' SUPER MUTANT! (proceeds to punch Stephen speilberg)

Oh and less selfishly: the fact that (mostly in the 'good' ol' US of A) we even had to participate in a school walkout. I don't mean stuff like my teacher made me, I mean the fact that the Parkland Shooting even happened. I'm going to avoid political views to avoid a flamewar, but really...

Edited by TheMadKraken2297

So, there's this tiny little flashlight I got a couple years ago, a Lumintop Tool AAA. I like it. It runs on one AAA battery, puts out decent light (low, medium and high), and well, I ended up getting a brass one last year. Same thing but with a Nichia LED that, while not as bright as the first one's Cree LED, does better color reproduction. I use both for different things and they're both small enough to carry around anywhere I go. No problem.

Then they released the "Blue Titanium" Tool AAA. It's so nice looking. A bit spendy, cause you know... space age titanium!!! That's also BLUE!!! :confused: I passed on it. I can't justify spending money on ANOTHER AAA flashlight, just cause it's "pretty". Ain't happening.

What I DO want though, is a AA flashlight. Something that will run longer, shine brighter, and only be a little bit bigger, and use a single AA battery, instead of the smaller, lower capacity AAA. Sure enough, just this year, Lumintop releases the Tool AA. NICE! I'm happy! I go to buy... Only available in anodized aluminum, and only available with a Cree LED... :/

Don't get me wrong... It's CHEAP, and i bought the blue one anyway... But Blue anodized aluminum is NOT blued titanium... There's NO comparison. Also, the part of the reason for wanting an AA version was to get one with the Nichia LED so I could have something brighter and longer lasting than the Nichia AAA, and even the Cree AAA, even if not as bright as a Cree AA. I have to settle with the lesser housing and the brighter, but poorer color rendering Cree LED.

I kinda hope they release the AA version with the Nichia LED and the blue titanium housing as options. No idea if they ever will though. Regardless, I have to wait for it. On a positive, I'm sure the aluminum one will make a great gift to my father, should I ever get to upgrade. I'm sure a compact light like that would be absolutely perfect for late night chores on the farm. Also, the Cree LED would be fine, as brightness would be more important than color reproduction, for most agriculturally inclined endeavors. :wink:

Why must the thing I want be a combination of things that DO exist, but not all in one single product!!! :huh:

17 hours ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

Have y'all seem the Ready Player One trailer? They're replacing the first 'challenge' and gate with a car race. WHAT THE HECK?!

Not seen it, not read it, not intending to do either, but, maybe it was about royalties? Considering what it's about, I wouldn't be surprised.

7 hours ago, richfiles said:

<snip>

That's a seriously nerd rant, bro!

All this day I was drawing a software interaction scheme.
In LibreOffice Draw, using only its embedded pictures and figures.
So, I used a bee to show resident programs and services (because they are hanging and buzzing), a polar bear to show non-resident programs and scripts (because it is sitting ready to stand up), thick red arrows to show data movements, and barrel-looking "database" cylinders as databases.

So, at the end the scheme of data gathering looks like a defence plan of apiary under attack of polar bears.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 3/16/2018 at 10:26 AM, kerbiloid said:

So, at the end the scheme of data gathering looks like a defence plan of apiary under attack of polar bears.

I'd love to see that! Genuinely LOLed! :D

On 3/16/2018 at 9:50 AM, TheKosanianMethod said:

I didn't know there were flashlight nerds!

I'm not even a hardcore one! I just want a cheap flashlight that does the job and looks kinda cool, while not being very big. I like the Lumintop. The cheap ones were about $20 US, and that brass one was only $5 more. I have a buddy who goes and spends $80-150 on freakin' flashlights! :0.0: Rechargeable on a base, a dozen settings and strobes... I just... want a small cheap light that has a couple settings and is bright. The Lumintop keeps it simple and cheap, but the build quality and style is still nice. It's still cheap "Chinesium", but it's built well.

Yeah, they just released a really cool product that I had no justification to buy, and then they released something that I did have justification to buy, but they don't offer it in the already existing style and features that I want. Aren't nerd rants exactly what this thread needs! :wink:

24 minutes ago, richfiles said:

I just... want a small cheap light that has a couple settings and is bright.

..... How much/how hard would it be to just make one yourself? I mean, its hard to machine titanium, but its a flashlight. Just a metal tube with a simple circuit in it. And of course, its probably possible to gut a flashlight for the internals, such as the LED and the circuit itself/any buttons...