Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

28 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I think it should be a school rule, that kids are allowed to speak when the lesson is starting and people are still walking in. It should only be quiet when people are following the actual lesson or when people are working.

"Children should neither be seen nor heard from - ever again." - W.C. Fields

10 hours ago, razark said:

1. Personally owned devices are soon to be banned from being used for teleworking.  (There is some question as to whether this means we cannot use webmail to check our email.)

1A. Any teleworking will require agency issued equipment.

2. Working from home is not a valid reason for being issued agency equipment.

3. The center encourages teleworking every other Friday, to the point of switching buildings to weekend mode (reduced lights, no AC, etc.).

D. All portable equipment must be protected with full disk encryption, in case the device is stolen.

E. "The PIN to unlock encryption is the Asset Number printed on the tag attached to the computer."

brazil-thierry-gilliam-2.png

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

I think it should be a school rule, that kids are allowed to speak when the lesson is starting and people are still walking in. It should only be quiet when people are following the actual lesson or when people are working.

That would be great. Because getting told off while you're being polite makes no sense, right? :huh: 

4 hours ago, YNM said:

If they don't know it, would it be possible ? Or is the IP tracked ?

Co-worker just got back from a meeting where this was discussed.  Apparently, agency devices will have a certificate installed.  Without the cert, you can't connect either directly or through VPN.  The way it's worded, you can connect an agency device to a non-agency device, but you are forbidden to connect a non-agency device to an agency device.

They will also set up the "Guest" wireless network, so that any machine with the certificate cannot connect to it.  Except for some International Partners, who will be able to connect to the Guest network, and VPN in to the agency network with non-agency devices.

Of course management types all have laptops, but those of us tied to desktops are going to be out of luck.

And yes, we will no longer be able to access our email from home.

2 minutes ago, razark said:

And yes, we will no longer be able to access our email from home.

My reaction can only be summed up in one image...

HQHaZIC.png?1

If any of the universities I work at actually enacted this policy, I'd never see my home again.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

My reaction can only be summed up in one image...

I told my co-worker that if I don't show up one day, it's probably because I'm sick and can't email to let him know I won't be in, and I also can't call to let him know, because that would be connecting my personal phone to his agency desk phone.

One of these days, I'll manage to talk him into joining my campaign of malicious compliance.

4 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Nearing the end of quitting caffeine.  These afternoons are brutal.

I hope I get used to this soon. 

I got rid of sodas COLD TURKEY. Oh, and the withdrawal symptoms were horrendous, In addition to the pot of coffee and all-day iced tea drinking, to lose about 1/3 of your daily caffeine intake was bad. But was I content? No...

While I was in the process of dumping sodas out of my diet, I have now greatly reduced my coffee intake... No more pot-a-day, but now I limit myself to ONE cup. One 12oz American sized regular cup of coffee a day. Oh, and wait, there's more... I only have one of iced tea, and that's in an insulated plastic tumbler. So, in the afternoons - after 2:00 p.m., all I drink is water...

So, I am right there with you... :blush:

10 minutes ago, razark said:

I told my co-worker that if I don't show up one day, it's probably because I'm sick and can't email to let him know I won't be in, and I also can't call to let him know, because that would be connecting my personal phone to his agency desk phone.

One of these days, I'll manage to talk him into joining my campaign of malicious compliance.

Hahaha, we did a small rebellion like this a few semesters back. It didn't involve telecommuting, as it is somewhat referred to on our college campus, but it involved having to maintain on-line and on-paper grade books. Needless to say, we won.

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I got rid of sodas COLD TURKEY.

I was doing like 3 Monsters a day, at least.  The tea ones, though, not the gross ones.  So calorie wise, it was like 60 a day total.  The caffeine was the killer.

I've attempted to quit before, but never worked out well.  Took an ambulance to the ER last friday morning, got out saturday morning.  Sunday I went shopping, and I got myself a 12 pack of Code Red Mt. Dew.  This is all I'm giving myself to ween off with.  When it's gone, I'm done.  Right now I'm at one can in the morning, with a few days left.

@razark Sounds extremely counterproductive. Unless this was in a response to criticism in work - personal limits or a security problem.

3 hours ago, razark said:

... because that would be connecting my personal phone to his agency desk phone.

What, no customer service ? Or was that outsourced to someone in India long ago ? XD

Edited by YNM

1 hour ago, YNM said:

Unless this was in a response to criticism in work - personal limits or a security problem.

It's all in the name of security.  Something about sensitive data on unsecured machines.

Of course, not all data is sensitive, but why do a sensible thing when you can go overboard and muck up thousands of workers at once?

If you really want to annoy the hell out of someone, in light of making demands, send them a postcard every day with your demand printed on it... here in the USA, the postage is only $0.35 (a mere $2.45 a week). For most of you, that's more than you'd spend daily on a coffee or soda.

You can have plain paper postcards pre-printed with your message, and labeled, with pre-paid postage even.

Trust me.

On 4/23/2018 at 9:05 PM, Kernel Kraken said:

I don't mind the opinions as much as I mnd the blatant disregard for fact. If you like Macs, fine by me. But there are options out there (like, say, a gaming hackintosh) which still have MacOS, are much cheaper, and are much, much more powerful. And these.people have the balls to claim their 2013 MacBook pro is more powerful than my gaming PC. Not you specifically, just most Mac people I know don't even know the specs of their Mac.

(16 gb of DDR4, GTX1060 3Gb, i5-6600k on my PC, for $716 on sale. Checkmate Mac superiortists).

$716???

dayyyum!

I WOULD get a PC, but my parents literally said they'll kick me out if I do lol (My father works in IT for an...Agency...*cough*)

In 3 years though...In 3 years...

4 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

If you really want to annoy the hell out of someone, in light of making demands, send them a postcard every day with your demand printed on it... here in the USA, the postage is only $0.35 (a mere $2.45 a week). For most of you, that's more than you'd spend daily on a coffee or soda.

You can have plain paper postcards pre-printed with your message, and labeled, with pre-paid postage even.

Trust me.

Just don't add a return address MWAAHAHAHAHA >:D

9 minutes ago, razark said:

It's all in the name of security.

Oh. Right.

Good luck with that. I presume you guys have better stuff actually, but then I think this conversation goes right on the nose.

5 minutes ago, YNM said:

I presume you guys have better stuff actually...

See my previous post about printing the disk encryption key on a sticker attached to the machine... :confused:

Edited by razark

34 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

send them a postcard every day with your demand printed on it... 

They can refuse to deliver.

22 minutes ago, razark said:

See my previous post about printing the disk encryption key on a sticker attached to the machine...

That explains what happened in Hawaii...

Edited by YNM
whoops ! that was close !

4 minutes ago, YNM said:

They can refuse to deliver.

This isn't a package, it's not 3rd-class mail (junk-mail) either ... it's a standard postcard which is viewed the same as a 1st-class letter. It gets delivered.

You're really hung up on this guy's YouTube videos eh? I have about as much faith in his validity as I do "Adam Ruins Everything", especially his new series where he's teaching us US History. @adsii1970 (shudders)

12 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

You're really hung up on this guy's YouTube videos eh?

Well, he's pretty fine with stuff. That was just a notion as well, it's meant to be high-brow content off Wikipedia XD

The other stuff though (also these too), those are legit.

Not to mention that they can just go ahead with opening everything init, and you can complain.

Edited by YNM

10 hours ago, razark said:

See my previous post about printing the disk encryption key on a sticker attached to the machine... :confused:

I once saw someone trying to sell 7 Windows product key stickers on Craigslist for $150.

They'd posted a high enough resolution photo of the stickers to make out the numbers, non redacted.  So naturally I shared the post on FB.

Somehow I doubt he got his $150.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

I once saw someone trying to sell 7 Windows product key stickers on Craigslist for $150.

They'd posted a high enough resolution photo of the stickers to make out the numbers, non redacted.  So naturally I shared the post on FB.

Somehow I doubt he got his $150.

Its not even that good of a deal...

17 hours ago, razark said:

/r/maliciouscompliance

13 hours ago, qzgy said:

Been on a lack of sleep for the past couple days. Needless to say it sucks.

Ugh, tell me about it... Homework, then Prom, then After-Prom, then MOAR HOMEWORK, then tech week, and soon getting a job... I might have to turn to coffee.