Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

6 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I tried diferent power outlets and it still is not working, im pretty sure the problem is in the adapter.

Yeah, then that would seem to be the case.

24 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Yeah, then that would seem to be the case.

I think the best solution is to buy a new pair, and just live without Internet for a few months, can't be that hard.

17 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Did you open it up and check for blown caps?

I haven't done that yet, i don't have a small enough screwdriver for that. I still need to find a small screwdriver.

EDIT: I thought about repairing the thing and.... wow? A soldering device for only 12.99?

Edited by NSEP

14 minutes ago, silverfox101 said:

idiot neighbours

Ugh.

I'd say roughly 80% of my neighborhood drivers are the type to do twice the speed limit though the area (Speed limit on both my roads is 25mph, but some of those cars do near 60, and the bikes treat it like a drag strip), most of them also have very loud, very expensive stereos in their cars.  Some of them I can hear from 4-5 blocks away.  And they all have it.  And all these people do is drive around.  All day.  All night.

I can't wait to move.

16 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Ugh.

I'd say roughly 80% of my neighborhood drivers are the type to do twice the speed limit though the area (Speed limit on both my roads is 25mph, but some of those cars do near 60, and the bikes treat it like a drag strip), most of them also have very loud, very expensive stereos in their cars.  Some of them I can hear from 4-5 blocks away.  And they all have it.  And all these people do is drive around.  All day.  All night.

I can't wait to move.

I feel for you pal, its a bad situation, as for selling the best we can hope is that they decide to move, as it stands we just wouldn't get the value of the house as long as they live next door. I would guess they have a combined IQ of -50 and that mixed with the alcohol they drink is a dangerous mix. It used to be such a nice quiet, friendly little street. None of the other neighbours talk to them anymore, so hopefully, they will get the message and move on.

I broke another Nerf gun I was modding... That makes my total tally zero successes, three failures. This was my trusty Tri-Strike too... I liked that gun. I can probably fix it but some of the slam- fire locks are a pain to keep in place.

I should just buy a Retaliator, it's much more simple.

On 5/6/2018 at 9:36 AM, Kernel Kraken said:

A: Where did you get the Nixie Tubes

2: Where did you get the 1939 Philco Radio Cabinet

D: Is it for sale and if not are there any circumstances where you would be willing to sell it?

That sounds like the coolest gosh darned Hackintosh of all time. I've been thinking of a Nixie Tube machine, with four different displays for CPU temp, GPU temp, Framerate, and Fan RPM.

I might replace the fan RPM with cooling liquid temp if I decide to go with liquid cooling. I just wish I had the money to make one.

A: The Nixie tubes were from a 1967-68 era Sony ICC-500W calculator. The unit was a donor parts unit used to restore my ICC-600W. The 500 was in horrifying condition. The case had become brittle and shattered into several chunks. The calculating circuitry was utterly hosed, often displaying overlapping numbers, and not responding correctly to any keypresses. What worked was the display section. My 600W appeared to work, but had display and decimal selection problems, so I used parts from the one machine to resurrect the other. Both calculators were bought off ebay, as non working. Two broken machines were cheaper than any functional model was, and I got lots of spare parts that way.

Yes, I'm a weirdo with a calculator collection. I dig digital electronics and logic. I dig vintage electronics.
This was inevitable... :rolleyes:

The restored Sony Sobax ICC-600W is the black and silver calculator on the second shelf:

9bbuKi4.jpg

Warning... There's a nekkid calculator hidden below! I warned ya! it's topless and everything! Nixies and internal workings showing' left and right of the decimal! It's obscene! :o

Spoiler

6xgd3ti.jpg
The silver lever... That's how you select where you want to put the decimal. Not even kidding!

2: I didn't get the 1939 Philco radio cabinet at a current real estate broker, but did find it some time ago when said location was a former local antiques shop, and definitely not back when it used to be a former gas station that looked (and still does look) like a "micro castle". It even has two towers! :confused:

Basically, you need to find a small castle. If it's a gas station, you went to far back. Real estate broker, not far enough. Knights... Hold yer horses buddy! WAY too far! Need to get it just right! :P

Spoiler

H8Mup9b.png
Must bring your own weapons. Safety Not Guaranteed

In seriousness, antique shops, and even thrift shops sometimes have this kind of stuff. I saw an intact radio of the era at a local thrift shop just a couple months ago. The one I found had been utterly gutted. There was no electronics left inside it at all when I found it. Not even the front panel of the radio dial was left. I do not recommend gutting good radios, or even restorable radios, as there's a huge collector's market out there who would be mighty tempted to see if voodoo really works (or at least provide a rigorous interwebs lashing), if they heard you gutted one of their preeeciousss radios. Gutted ones can be found though, and only the most extreme restorers will flap their flesh speakers about "repurposing" one. Fortunately, someone else already gutted it, and will have acted as a shield for you.

D: ... D:
You want my 1939 Philco radio cabinet Hackintosh! :0.0:
Sorry, there's no convincin' me! Nevah!

It's just too goshdurned purdy! I could never let her go! :D

HRKJdFi.jpg

So much work went into it! It used to be significantly taller, but I cut it down to be a more reasonable size. I put boards across the open back and used nylon ratchet straps to crank down the case onto those boards as a structural scaffold. Then I used a hand saw to carefully saw the case through the speaker grill area. Once I'd cut my way through, I was able to reattach the top of the radio to my new cut. Looks like it was made that way! There's a lot of veneer, and some of it is chipped... Honestly, I LIKE the old beat up look. I'd have been perfectly cool with a pristine one too, but I don't mind the chips and nicks, and the brown marker touchups.

As for the case itself... It's seen a major revision, and is pretty much always "in progress". I'll come up with one more thing to do. Some are done. Some are not yet started. I suppose to make this whole post on topic, I gotta complain again about there never being enough time in the day, and about my job consuming more hours than I'd like. I'm part time there... I'd like to get home with time to actually do things... Like the latest mods to this case!

Anyway, nothing to hide... Just figured the post is already pretty big... So I'm hiding more pictures to keep it short...ish.

Spoiler

1tFjzrS.jpg
Here are the nixie tubes. The clock is made of logic gates. There is no microcontroller or CPU or RTC of any kind. Works like an old school 1970s digital clock, that gets it's time from the AC line frequency. The panels are brass mailbox doors. Got them for $11 at an antiques/thrift shop (it was not a castle, but it is currently found only in the past). I felt they matched that art deco styling of the era (or at least close enough to fool me), so I used those yo cover the big gaping hole where a radio dial once sat. You can see the old style configuration in this photo, where i had a pull out drawer style access to the motherboard.

l9iJgye.jpg
I added a seconds readout (this was planned from the start). What's not done though, Is I want to build either a ring of nixie tubes or get a dekatron and build a drive access "spinner" indicator. It'll obviously go in the empty space next to the seconds nixies.

JrC804M.jpg
This is the reason why I've not just simply bought a dekatron tube... I want a fan fault/filtration warning indicator, and this is the PERFECT lamp for it! That rad symbol... Too cool! :cool:
What I want to do is have it be a master fault lamp, and if I have a ring of neon tubes rather than a single dekatron tube, my drive access spinner would have room for it in the middle. I want to read the tachometer pin of every fan in my case... All 15 of them. If any fan is getting voltage, but does not have a transitioning tach signal, then it should trigger a case failure warning, and light this light up. i've even worked on designs that could allow for the detection of individual fans, and the capacity to light up a specific indicator. I was thinking of making it so the Rad light lights through the window to indicate a master fault, and then if one opens the "mailbox" door, they'd be greeted with a three dimensional "wireframe" of the case, with a neon lamp located where each and every fan is. Opening the door would light all the lamps, and flash the neon lamp for any fan with a fault condition. Ambitious, and not even started. I may have a new Motherboard, CPU, and RAM by the time I ever GET to work on any of this stuff...

umQHekk.jpg
The intake fans consist of 8 PC fans drawing air through a pair of filters. The speaker grill is fake, but there are hidden gaps on either side of it providing a path for air to flow into the filters, along the inside of the curve of the case. The PSU exhaust vents downward, and the rear chassis has a pair of unobstructed 120mm fans and one 140mm fan.

WmbZHjD.jpg
here are two filter slots. a pair of 10x10 inch filters insert into each slot (10x20 inch is a common US filter size for RV and mobile home furnace/AC units, and I can cut the filters in half). I'd love to come up with a means to measure the pressure outside and inside the case, on either side of the filters. The idea would be that if pressure is too different, it might indicate the filters are getting clogged, and need replacement or cleaning. I'd also considered getting some Russian "bargraph" tubes, so I can represent the pressure change between them in an analog means... You can also see the rear chassis closed, and locked. The key is the release mechanism for the motherboard chassis. The "lump" on the left provides GPU clearance.

pZb7VlO.jpg
Inspired by my ancient Apple Blue & White G3, and it's fold out case, I re-did my case to work the same way. My first version had a pull out drawer on a pair of sliders. It worked, but I couldn't fit long GPUs, and so I redesigned the rear panel. Even that metal ATX case frame is custom modded. Weather stripping foam lines the edges to seal all seams to keep unfiltered air, and the dust it carries, out.

Edited by richfiles

13 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Ugh.

I can't wait to move.

I dont know how it works where you are, but it might be worth bringing this to someones attention, especially if it is a noise issue late at night as well. Our council put a temporary CCTV unit in a place that was prone to fly-tipping, after we reported it regularly occurring.

It might not actually do anything except deter them and have them chose somewhere else, but I doubt these boyracers are that keen on appearing on camera. Or maybe they are, criminals are that stupid these days, it seems.

Besides that, your local authority never heard of speedbumps?

3 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

I dont know how it works where you are, but it might be worth bringing this to someones attention, especially if it is a noise issue late at night as well. Our council put a temporary CCTV unit in a place that was prone to fly-tipping, after we reported it regularly occurring.

It might not actually do anything except deter them and have them chose somewhere else, but I doubt these boyracers are that keen on appearing on camera. Or maybe they are, criminals are that stupid these days, it seems.

Besides that, your local authority never heard of speedbumps?

I live on the side of the town that gets less than ideal attention from city development.  Police have been called 3 times, they don't care.  I was hopeful for speedbumps a few months back when they needlessly re-blacktopped the road... but no.

11 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I was hopeful for speedbumps a few months back when they needlessly re-blacktopped the road... but no.

Use straightened-out tyres or just slab some brick and concrete. Build half at a time, close with makeshift logs.

That's how we do it. Like, too often, it becomes an annoyance on it's own.

And doesn't stop boy (motor)racers.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHl28uf_iWUME0tUJoulN

56 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I live on the side of the town that gets less than ideal attention from city development.  Police have been called 3 times, they don't care.  I was hopeful for speedbumps a few months back when they needlessly re-blacktopped the road... but no.

We called the police at first but were told it was an issue for the local council, and we had to call them several times too. But yeah, some areas just dont get the same attention as others, seems its like that whichever country you are in.

4 hours ago, richfiles said:

Snipity snip snip snip.

This, sir, is a peice of art. I've never seen a computer like this- I wish I could build something like that, but I don't have access to any of the materials to do it. 

I was thinking of a nixie tube steampunk-ish build, thanks for explaining! I might be able to find some of the things you listed. 

It might be soviet- themed since Nixie Tubes and all instead...

Edited by Kernel Kraken

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

2 hours ago, YNM said:

Use straightened-out tyres or just slab some brick and concrete. Build half at a time, close with makeshift logs.

That's how we do it. Like, too often, it becomes an annoyance on it's own.

And doesn't stop boy (motor)racers.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHl28uf_iWUME0tUJoulN

What you need is a radar gun and a video camera... and some free time. You sit there on the side of the road (in your yard) with the video camera set up behind you to capture the radar gun readout and license plates of the speeding cars / bikes. Then you go down to the police department and show them your evidence and have tickets issued. Video evidence is very hard to dispute in court.

Or, you could really play dirty and paint the roadway with waste oil (olive oil works too). Then, instead of calling the police on them, you'll be calling an ambulance for them.

7 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Or, you could really play dirty and paint the roadway with waste oil (olive oil works too).

I've felled on those, negligently spread on the road by some box truck carrying waste lubricants. Fortunately (or unfortunately ? dunno what would happen otherwise) I had to brake due to two cars in front turning - only fell in the last few km/h. Motorcycle in the back braking for me also fell !

A better way is just make the road surface crap. Loose gravel befel on those daredevils.

Im in school today. I HATE SCHOOL SO MUCH... GGGRRRRRRGH

i wish I could just have a mass relay and bombard schools with Kerbodyne S4-512 Fuel Tanks from orbit. HNNGH!

but seriously! I learned 90% of what we are learning in middle school IN 4TH GRADE! IDIOCY!

besides, I learn more from kerbal space program than I do school, and ksp wasn’t(?) meant to be educational.

aahhhh that feels so much better to vent about how flawed education is.

There are kids in my classroom that are incredibly loud. I’m trying to get through the already cruel and unusual punishment that is schoolwork and their screaming is like someone is driving rusty cleaver through my head. 

Edited by Fraston

2 hours ago, YNM said:

I've felled on those, negligently spread on the road by some box truck carrying waste lubricants. Fortunately (or unfortunately ? dunno what would happen otherwise) I had to brake due to two cars in front turning - only fell in the last few km/h. Motorcycle in the back braking for me also fell !

A better way is just make the road surface crap. Loose gravel befel on those daredevils.

While the waste motor oil method is a bit extreme, the olive oil is a bit more forgiving in that it's shorter lasting and bio-degradable. By doing it a few times, the idea is to put the notion into their heads that it might be oiled up again and get into the routine of passing through slower.

I used to ride, but not on the streets. If you want to go fast and get wild, do it in the dirt!

22-1.jpg

145411_dream_race_mx17_htown_rs_0576_250

;)

2 hours ago, Fraston said:

Im in school today. I HATE SCHOOL SO MUCH... GGGRRRRRRGH

i wish I could just have a mass relay and bombard schools with Kerbodyne S4-512 Fuel Tanks from orbit. HNNGH!

but seriously! I learned 90% of what we are learning in middle school IN 4TH GRADE! IDIOCY!

besides, I learn more from kerbal space program than I do school, and ksp wasn’t(?) meant to be educational.

I feel the exact same. My problem is people don't try in school then blame teachers. I taught myself basic (very basic) nuclear physics in 2nd grade and when we 'learned' that atoms exist in 5th grade, everyone acted like they had just eaten pizza for the first time in their lives. No one paid attention then tons of people bombed the test. The teacher got blamed for being too loose on rules by parents and the kids blamed anyone but themselves.

Edited by Kernel Kraken

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

The teacher got blamed for being too loose on rules by parents and the kids blamed anyone but themselves.

(Paraphrasing from a book I read long ago:)

”But teaching was such a respected profession!”

”Yeah, once they were allowed to start using stunguns in class...”

Edited by StrandedonEarth

4 hours ago, Fraston said:

I HATE SCHOOL SO MUCH

That's a bad idea

;)

4 hours ago, Fraston said:

Depends on the school and the system. Just teach yourself :D It's what I do lol