Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

x = 1.2x

Does this have a solution? I've tried a bunch of approaches and none work.

(x does indeed cross 1.2x twice, but I can't find a ways to calculate these points)

It's not like this is expected from me by someone, but I'd really like to know.

Edited by Delay

1 hour ago, Delay said:

x = 1.2x

(x does indeed cross 1.2x twice, but I can't find a ways to calculate these points)

Not only does it have a solution, it has two solutions!

Have you tried finding a limit?

5 hours ago, Delay said:

Does this have a solution?

Yes. You could try iteration.

8 hours ago, LordFerret said:

If you want to go fast and get wild, do it in the dirt!

Not sure you'd want that here...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0C1glDGv1KhC1Ye7uk2J

14 hours ago, Delay said:

x = 1.2x

x=0?

Edit: wait no

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Aperture Science said:

x=0?

The two solutions are (roughly) x=1.272 and x=14.7798, but I know this because Google can display up to four functions in a graph.

My problem is numerically solving the equation without graphs.

Edited by Delay

52 minutes ago, Delay said:

My problem is numerically solving the equation without graphs.

Single-point iteration ?

You have two ways :

1)  x(i+1) = 1.2^(x(i)) (goes to 1.25773454137653)

2)  x(i+1) = log^(1.2)(x(i)) (goes to 14.7674583809829)

NOTE If you "cross the beams" though (ie. inserting 15 to eq. 1 or inserting 1 to eq. 2), the system will diverge quickly. So it is quite tricky.

Edit : I learned this first when I was learning about solving problems with star magnitudes that has extinction in it (one side logarithmic, one side linear). It is very easy to do with a calculator that can insert "Ans" to the formula, you just mindlessly press "=" as quickly and see whether it diverges or converges. You can even use it on "normal" equations (polynomials). And for equations that doesn't feature an "x" in the formula, just insert " + x - x" to it.

Edited by YNM

I  drank  every  day  for  thirteen  years, everybody  said  the  sober  life  would  be  some  glorious  magnificent life  changer.

Been  sober  over  a  year  and  I  still  feel  like  crap  all  day  every  day, and  I'm  always  extremely  stressed.

1 minute ago, silverfox101 said:

@putnamto A sober life is always a good life, im sure things will get better.

Thats  what  they  say.

Id  rather  be  stressed  and  coordinated  than  happy  and  falling  all  over  the  place. So  I  guess  that's  a  good  thing.

Edited by putnamto

@putnamto Drinking doesn't make you happy it just stops you dealing with things, ruins your life, ruins relationships, splits families apart in some cases. The good thing is being sober dealing with life's problems and living a healthy lifestyle, so yes it is a good thing you have done.

The orthodontist put a filling in a cavity (i didn't know about, and she didn't tell me about either) in my teeth, wich must be way overflown, because now i can't even put my teeth together anymore. Should i go back? Is this normal? Help?

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Should i go back? Is this normal? Help?

Not a dentist or medically trained at all (so really I'm probably not helpful), but yeah thats probably not normal. I think you should go back....

As for a complaint - I have meat and stuff sitting around I need to cook. I also need to cook some spiedie's once I have the recipe *ahem cough cough hack wheeeze*

Edited by qzgy

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Should I go back?

While such shapes might be more desirable, you can always tell them you don't feel comfortable with it.

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

The orthodontist put a filling in a cavity (i didn't know about, and she didn't tell me about either) in my teeth, wich must be way overflown, because now i can't even put my teeth together anymore. Should i go back? Is this normal? Help?

I didn’t think orthodontists did fillings, my kids got shuffled to the dentist for that. I’d definitely go back and say something isn’t right there 

1 minute ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I didn’t think orthodontists did fillings, my kids got shuffled to the dentist for that. I’d definitely go back and say something isn’t right there 

Sometimes after you get braces they'll put fillings in to make sure your teeth are perfectly level. My fillings seemed a bit to much but they balanced my teeth, and after a few weeks or so, the fillings ground down to a shape that seemed more natural. @NSEP, the filling thing is perfectly normal and the problem will go away by either grinding down the filling over time or just getting used to it.

2 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

While we are on the subject of braces, I hate the rubber bands. Opening my mouth is painful, as is keeping it closed. When its closed it just hurts less.

Retainers are worse. For me at least. Braces you eventually get used to, but not retainers. And you have to take them out every time you eat. Eventually you may only have to wear them at night, though.

Maybe my issue was that it was applying pressure on my fillings, but still. 

On 5/8/2018 at 8:05 PM, YNM said:

Not sure you'd want that here...

Haha!.. mudding can be fun. ;)  Actually, riding in sand pits, your best time to ride is right after a rain; it firms up the sand a bit.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:20 AM, YNM said:

"cross the beams"

No, don't cross the beams...
Ghostbusters-2-800x400.jpg

On 5/9/2018 at 3:05 AM, YNM said:

Mars terraformed.

16 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Toothache.

Should have gone to the dentist a long time ago.

Gonna need a root canal I think.

That moment when vertebrates get jealous of the external digestion of the invertebrates well, of some of them.

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, p1t1o said:

@kerbiloid If I ever win the lottery Im having them all swapped out with identical tungsten carbide replacements.

Make it detachable so that you have a spare drill bit when needed :P