Hellion [videogame]

TeeGee

Sounds cool. I am interested in the orbital mechanics bit and physics and how realistic those are. Most games don't do that well. Will be checking this one out for sure!

Edit: Wait... This really looks like Subnautica in space!

Fire

Edited by Firemetal

Helion is on my to watch list for some time now! The graphics look stunning and the physics look really promising. The 1st person survival and building part as well add to the things I like.

Though, since I began playing KSP and reading the Exapanse (excluding the what the molecule is doing), things in scifi games that generally really put me off are: magic artificial gravity, submarine/boat-like space ship design (unless we talk about atmospheric crafts) and warp drive devices wokring in gravity wells and not needing to get far far away from any gravity well.

If they made Helion like: The Expanse is to KSP, than they would have really hyped me.

But I am keeping a eye out on it, for what I see it is really good.

Edited by Gkirmathal

8 hours ago, Gkirmathal said:

Helion is on my to watch list for some time now! The graphics look stunning and the physics look really promising. The 1st person survival and building part as well add to the things I like.

Though, since I began playing KSP and reading the Exapanse (excluding the what the molecule is doing), things in scifi games that generally really put me off are: magic artificial gravity, submarine/boat-like space ship design (unless we talk about atmospheric crafts) and warp drive devices wokring in gravity wells and not needing to get far far away from any gravity well.

If they made Helion like: The Expanse is to KSP, than they would have really hyped me.

But I am keeping a eye out on it, for what I see it is really good.

Expanse is a wonderful sci-fi TV series! I appreciate it much more since I've been playing KSP for years now.

It also bothered me to see "artificial gravity" onboard ships and stations in Hellion, but I guess it falls in line with the tech that allows WARP speed to exist in the game as well.

I'm sure the developers are aware of this realism issue since they have decided to incorporate things like real orbital mechanics in the game, along with other science-based features.

Hellion alpha is finally released! I have been watching a lot of Twitch streamers over the past 24 hours, one thing stands out and that is the game is indeed still very alpha. Graphics wise the solar system looks absolutely superb, the model textures as well and the sense of scale seems very vast. Seeing were the orbital mechanics of objects around solar bodies in navigation views was very nice and also the maneuver nodes and node execution time is a nice addition.

But now for the negatives (from what I have seen) if you have a KSP back ground, like most of us here, a lot is still left to be desired TBH.

The big downside IMO in this iteration being: the only means to get from A to B is using the warp mechanics and RCS to do approaches targets. There seems no convention "engine" implemented yet, I read this will be added upcoming patches.

The warp mechanics is rather simplistic and does not take conservation of local momentum (you initial orbital velocity) into account. So your ships relative velocity vs your targets relative velocity does not need to be cut before warping to target and is magically adjusted when getting out of " warp". For me this method of implementing such plot device is rather immersion breaking tbh.

Further more the UI, icons for Pg/Rg/NM/aNM/R/aR have not been implemented! Nor are there any indicators of you ships orbital velocity vs reference body, or relative velocity vs a target. I hope this will be implemented asap when the conventional engines are released in the future, otherwise I can't see how one could ever do more complex navigation outside of point, click and warp.

Edited by Gkirmathal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.