We Choose to Go to the Mun!

Kerbal Von Braun

Hello there

thought I\'d drop in on the forums and say hello, after spending an entire weekend (much to my wifes annoyance) trying to get these bloody Kerbals to the Mun.

After early attempts with Solid Fuel boosters and various stage tests, lander tests, alternative configurations etc I settled on a three stage liquid fuelled rocket and achieved an orbit, recovery and splashdown.

The aptly named Arthur IV was my final rocket using only the stock items, and I achieved the goal of a Mun Orbit. Unfortunately a careless Kerbal had misread the Staging instructions and the Arthur IV was unable to return to Kerbin. :(

From there it was only a few more tests (and a couple of mod downloads :D ) to finalise my design for my first Mun Landing rocket, the Arthur VI.

<dramatic music>

7675086068_a9ceaaea29.jpg

Launch and preliminary Kerbin orbit went well.

7675042918_33916a77a2.jpg

7675046230_2882cc9e49.jpg

After third stage separation and a couple of minutes of quick burn, the second stage began the long journey out to the Mun.

7675025902_3e7e2e10b6.jpg

Soon after, the brave Kerbals used their last remaining second stage fuel to enter into orbit around the Mun.

7675026448_b13003bfb8.jpg

Second stage separation left only the lander module. As the module drifted over the barren Muns rocky surface, a familiar and friendly sight rose over the horizon to greet them - Kerbin Rise!

7675025688_9d5ff3a6be.jpg

At this point contact with the Lander module was lost. It is not known if they were successful, but Kerbals are undaunted by such losses, and further missions are planned.

To the Mun and beyond!

thanks for the warm welcome.

well, Arthur VII was mostly a great success. After lift off and Kerbin orbit, the second stage burned out to catch the Mun orbit and with two full tanks of fuel began the retrograde burn to slow down.

After exhausting the fuel, the second stage was jettisoned and only the lander remained.

at 75m/s the Landing Module began the slow descent to Mun Landing...

7689619760_383933f52f.jpg

after sweating hands, lots of RCS usage, some swearing and a little luck, Kerbin Mission Control heard the fateful words..

\'KerbKomm this is Mun Base 1. the Kebble has landed!\'

(with half a tank of descent fuel as well!)

7689620126_56098c37df.jpg

\'Kroger that Mun Base 1, you got a bunch of Kerbs up here about to turn brown, we\'re breathing again, thanks alot\'

It took me 5 days, many attempts, too many explosions and dead kerbs to mention, but I finally got a lander on the Mun. I even managed to get it back up and into Kerbin orbit, although with not enough fuel to get back for splashdown.

but not to worry, those Brave Kerbals will lay the foundations, so bring on v 0.16!!

so I\'ve upgraded to 0.16, and now my Arthur VII rocket is no longer compatible! >:(

Can you import the stock parts from 0.13 to the 0.16 folder and re-use old designs? I\'m not a massive fan of the stock parts in 0.16, there are a lot of changes between the two versions - different sized parts for a start.