ESS Constellation

septemberWaves

This thread exists to document my entries for my Doing It Constellation Style challenge. It will involve a series of missions done in the style of the Constellation program, and will also serve as a showcase of my approximate replicas of the Constellation mission architecture. The first two missions are in the thread for the challenge, but future missions will be done in this thread instead.

Technology

Names of vehicles are KerbalX links. In order for all vehicles to function, you will need Color Coded Cannisters, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, Firespitter (fuel switch), B9 Part Switch, and Interstellar Fuel Switch, in addition to the mods listed on the KerbalX pages. KerbalX hangar with all uploaded vehicles can be found here.

Launch Vehicles

Spoiler

Ares I

bsk4kHw.jpg

The Ares I rocket is a crew-rated launch vehicle most commonly used to launch the Orion spacecraft. The first stage is a recoverable solid rocket motor, and the second stage is powered by a single liquid-fueled engine. Payload to LKO: 15 tonnes.

Ares V

PddV7Ss.jpg

The Ares V rocket is a super heavy lift vehicle designed for launching cargo. Its first stage is powered by five liquid rocket engines with two recoverable solid rocket boosters, and its second stage is powered by a single liquid rocket engine. The second stage of the Ares V, also known as the Kerbin Departure Stage (KDS) is used on missions within Kerbin's SOI to transport the Orion spacecraft and some cargo beyond low Kerbin orbit. Payload to LKO: 70 tonnes.

Spacecraft

Spoiler

Orion

zE7f8qB.jpg

Orion is a crewed spacecraft launched on the Ares I rocket. It can support four kerbals on long-duration missions.

Orion-E

rNdEabr.jpg

This is a variant of the Orion spacecraft that has been extended to hold six kerbals instead of four.

Altair

vjVuNCP.jpg

Altair is a four-kerbal Mun lander launched on an Ares V rocket. It is designed to take an Orion crew to the surface of the Mun, and serve as a habitat on the surface for short-term excursions. Its descent module is technically far more powerful than it needs to be for a Mun landing, but that is because it is designed for transporting larger cargoes than the ascent module.

Altair-C

FhSDZHd.jpg

xt4OLPe.jpg

2YOGpMD.jpg

Altair-C is a cargo variant of Altair. It consists of only the Altair descent module, and the ascent module is replaced by various cargoes. The above images show the Altair-C lander with a habitation module, a lab module, and a Leo SMV in that order.

Downloads:

Sirius Asteroid Research Module

vVnBLQy.jpg

The Sirius ARM is a specialized vehicle designed to facilitate crewed asteroid research missions. It is derived from the Altair design, but uses less powerful engines, and a grappling claw instead of conventional landing legs. It is launched on an Ares V rocket.

Lacerta Interplanetary Transport

xCuWAm6.jpg

The Lacerta IPT is a very versatile spacecraft capable of supporting six kerbals on long-duration missions to most places in the Kerbol system. It is mostly reusable, but the drop tank has to be replaced.

Corvus Universal Atmospheric Cargo Lander - DAV

nMkBXxz.jpg

The Corvus UACL is, as the name implies, a lander capable of transporting cargo to the surface of any atmospheric body. This variant carries a Duna Ascent Vehicle, as well as the ISRU equipment required to fuel it.

Corvus Universal Atmospheric Cargo Lander - Habitat

NZSinMT.jpg

This variant of the Corvus UACL carries a habitation module, a science lab, and a Leo SMV.

Support Vehicles

Spoiler

Leo Surface Mobility Vehicle

zdCHq04.jpg

The Leo SMV is a pressurized rover that can support four kerbals for extended surface excursions. It carries a lot of science equipment and can be landed either by a Corvus UACL or by a cargo Altair. Its top speed is about 35m/s.

Leo Minor Surface Mobility Vehicle

m7mqAe7.jpg

The Leo Minor SMV is a small two-kerbal rover designed for short-duration missions. Its maximum safe speed is about 12m/s and it is designed to function best in places without an atmosphere.

Completed Missions

Badges

AaTwHmF.pngQXDdyHr.pngKBTIIpj.pngJmpRQVF.png

Edited by eloquentJane

Kerbin L5 Relay

To facilitate missions beyond Kerbin's SOI, a relay is launched and placed in solar orbit at Kerbin's L5 point (60° behind Kerbin in the same orbit). The relay is a Libra B satellite launched on a Deimos 2 rocket.

CnJWHf3.jpg

Spoiler

MU9Glit.jpg

Ignition.

frkieEw.jpg

Liftoff of Kerbin L5 Relay.

h94JQDb.jpg

Commencing gravity turn.

dGSwH0W.jpg

pLUUPvC.jpg

62M5KOg.jpg

First stage cutoff. The first stage still has some fuel remaining so that it can land and be recovered.

fc2baeT.jpg

First stage separation.

1vD62v2.jpg

Second stage ignition.

khQEkcL.jpg

Second stage cutoff as 80km apoapsis is reached.

ftoaEy5.jpg

Fairing separation.

8HhBoB1.jpg

DgbtDTo.jpg

The spacecraft is now in a stable parking orbit.

dUO7zMm.jpg

Confirmation of first stage recovery.

Nb208k4.jpg

A maneuver is plotted to place the probe in a solar orbit with an orbital period of 7/6 of a year.

KS02p4n.jpg

PSWDVQZ.jpg

Leaving Kerbin.

akrxGtx.jpg

qSYE0Mz.jpg

Circularizing at perihelion.

N1c2oqt.jpg

The relay is now in a solar orbit with an orbital period of almost exactly one year to match Kerbin's.

First Duna Payloads

It is time for DE1 (Duna Excursion 1), the first crewed mission to Duna. The mission is split over the course of two transfer windows. During the first transfer window, eight launches from Kerbin send six payloads to Duna:

• Duna Relay 1 (Libra B commsat)
  • Duna Relay 2 (Libra A commsat)
  • Duna Relay 3 (Libra A commsat)
  • Duna Scansat 1 (Draco scansat)
  • Corvus Habitation Module (with separate Andromeda propulsion module)
  • Corvus DAV (with separate Andromeda propulsion module)

The satellites are launched first, all into an 80km parking orbit.

Spoiler

Duna Relay 1:

j5h5SFc.jpg

hA8WNzx.jpg

FfN5Zx3.jpg

ByooP9N.jpg

Duna Scansat 1:

6sOmoUx.jpg

Yy91Tcb.jpg

uuv29Gs.jpg

1Uaedz2.jpg

8PRhvhc.jpg

hjVRXHX.jpg

o8a4kOG.jpg

MF8yUIA.jpg

7ifFs51.jpg

YozGYuE.jpg

Duna Relay 2:

Dx08BZz.jpg

0SOSBvJ.jpg

2OQ0oaU.jpg

Tppg1Vx.jpg

90H5Olw.jpg

V2DS9ek.jpg

7aw8g8M.jpg

rFmjq7R.jpg

P6WrR03.jpg

Duna Relay 3:

fYdlMb9.jpg

E6gicOp.jpg

GIqv6NL.jpg

Next, the Corvus vehicles are launched, starting with the habitation module.

QDFzGCu.jpg

Spoiler

RT69tvG.jpg

8dxtz96.jpg

Ignition.

I52ONGe.jpg

Liftoff of DE1 Corvus-H.

kLdClQm.jpg

Commencing gravity turn.

exs7qyY.jpg

Breaking sound barrier.

bvgMBl1.jpg

As usual, acceleration is limited to 25m/s on Ares V launches.

mRgLRTw.jpg

lnLcp4k.jpg

Bd0vzve.jpg

Booster cutoff and separation.

4W22loe.jpg

Reaching maximum dynamic pressure.

ug5aK8K.jpg

OKRuIJ9.jpg

First stage cutoff and separation.

eyh5jfn.jpg

Second stage ignition.

LYlihY5.jpg

Confirmation of booster recovery.

nQC0Eax.jpg

Second stage cutoff as 120km apoapsis is reached.

dId5uF5.jpg

Circularizing.

6Axxd3X.jpg

DE1 Corvus-H has reached a circular parking orbit.

PeuVWre.jpg

Second stage separation.

Now the Corvus DAV is launched.

BlEiFvq.jpg

Spoiler

VtFLhoE.jpg

cGMfR5H.jpg

Ignition.

Ible6Yz.jpg

Liftoff of DE1 Corvus-D.

mFr0UpT.jpg

Commencing gravity turn.

NKgHBiZ.jpg

Breaking sound barrier.

msz9Gwl.jpg

FOLDUpO.jpg

Booster cutoff and separation.

OvLDvGE.jpg

Approaching maximum dynamic pressure.

CBT0wiW.jpg

M6zkirR.jpg

First stage cutoff and separation.

Jmfq7Cj.jpg

Second stage ignition.

k1EFPlh.jpg

3AN6JCl.jpg

Second stage cutoff as 120km apoapsis is reached.

tShOVac.jpg

Circularizing.

QM4hLWy.jpg

DE1 Corvus-D has reached a 120km parking orbit.

TXT9SUB.jpg

Second stage separation.

The two Corvus vehicles need individual propulsion modules to get to Duna. Two Andromeda CPMs (Chemical Propulsion Modules) are launched, and dock to the Corvus vehicles.

cyV90bV.jpg

Spoiler

LUDEVQ0.jpg

3mm5IUX.jpg

Ignition.

NuFnlm1.jpg

Liftoff of DE1 Andromeda-1.

Df1hhRm.jpg

InsSVS5.jpg

Fairing separation.

g71LJgr.jpg

jFWlJ4f.jpg

Second stage cutoff.

LNWA3dB.jpg

Payload deployment.

Uk1ZnMO.jpg

Andromeda CPM ignition. The Ares V second stage will re-enter the atmosphere and be destroyed.

2OM8Rjs.jpg

DE1 Andromeda-1 has reached an 80km parking orbit.

BpBf7nc.jpg

DE1 Andromeda-1 approaching DE1 Corvus-D after some orbital maneuvers.

vwDsCUg.jpg

Approaching to dock.

cBCTMjm.jpg

Docking successful.

Now the second Andromeda CPM is launched.

1jLlrXq.jpg

8QV6ERf.jpg

jWcSubc.jpg

Ignition.

EEJobZZ.jpg

Liftoff of DE1 Andromeda-2.

tY4tGXW.jpg

Q3uEpUw.jpg

Fairing separation.

9j07Ciy.jpg

DE1 Andromeda-2 approaches DE1 Corvus-H after rendezvous maneuvers.

2F1HA0B.jpg

Approaching to dock.

Ddgujrr.jpg

Docking successful.

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I like the way that yoy lay out your mission reports, makes it easier to navigate the thread. Your spacecraft designs are pretty cool too. Good luck on your Duna mission! :)

Thanks, I'm glad you like what I've been doing.

5 hours ago, kraden said:

What mod is that for stage recovery? 

Stage Recovery.

Transferring uncrewed payloads to Duna

8w3p2Xs.jpg

The first Duna transfer window has arrived.

The four satellites and two Corvus vehicles plot their interplanetary transfers.

Spoiler

vChtsNY.jpg

Duna Relay 1.

VfIEYEH.jpg

Duna Scansat 1.

keXBoZL.jpg

Duna Relay 2.

uLDri10.jpg

Duna Relay 3.

g2eqyOE.jpg

DE1 Corvus-D.

fJc9IpI.jpg

DE1 Corvus-H.

vmZumFZ.jpg

The six spacecraft leaving Kerbin.

1WIy97u.jpg

The first payload to reach Duna is DE1 Corvus-D.

Bmty5TR.jpg

DE1 Corvus-D propulsively braking at Duna.

TnvJNo7.jpg

RjwSIDi.jpg

DE1 Corvus-H.

VFO18wJ.jpg

qojdcSp.jpg

Duna Scansat 1 braking into an elliptical polar orbit.

Ohdk36S.jpg

Commencing surface scanning. The scansat will search for a suitable landing site.

hizuIbr.jpg

vW64nWz.jpg

Duna Relay 2.

K3O0I3B.jpg

vjGJpqi.jpg

Duna Relay 3.

xpHNF7R.jpg

0wNeJa8.jpg

Duna Relay 4.

After all of the payloads reached Duna orbit, the relay satellites all transferred into a 450km equatorial orbit at roughly even intervals to provide continuous communication coverage for equatorial and near-equatorial sites on the surface.

Edited by eloquentJane

1 hour ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

I am happy to follow your mission, duna is my next target so it is like a tutorial!

If you're new to interplanetary missions, this page and this chart should help you out (though the chart maybe not so much if you don't use a mod that displays delta-v). Of course, seeing it done by someone else is always a good way to learn too.

2 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

If you're new to interplanetary missions, this page and this chart should help you out (though the chart maybe not so much if you don't use a mod that displays delta-v). Of course, seeing it done by someone else is always a good way to learn too.

I have been playing ksp for about 7 months so I am not new to interplanetary travel but those charts and pages are very interesting

10 hours ago, xendelaar said:

interesting designs!

Thanks! They're based on NASA's old plans for the Constellation program (which was supposed to return to the Moon and then facilitate a crewed Mars mission), although the satellites are original.

Lacerta

IWJjNxh.jpg

This shows the satellite network in orbit of Duna. The three satellites in the equatorial orbit amidst the rings are the relay satellites, and the one in the high polar orbit is the scanning satellite.

b9489Tq.jpg

Scans showed that this location (marked by the red indicator) has a high concentration of the required minerals for manufacturing rocket fuel on the surface of Duna. It is also a site from which both of the planet's moons are visible. The Duna Ascent Vehicle will land there now.

Spoiler

ijmQweE.jpg

De-orbiting.

Rb7dBSt.jpg

Detaching the Andromeda propulsion module.

zmkdq95.jpg

Re-orienting for atmospheric entry.

0C4qH6Y.jpg

7IDA8f8.jpg

S5KJ15y.jpg

It appears that the lander is going to slightly overshoot the predicted landing site. This is not a major issue, as the required minerals for ISRU can still be found in the region nearby.

KTABOrG.jpg

Drogue chute deployment.

ihDHpks.jpg

GI2OGlv.jpg

Upper aeroshell separation.

g6gpsMn.jpg

Main chute deployment.

NvyCtAc.jpg

Lower aeroshell and aeroshell adapter separation.

QXuW45b.jpg

Lowering the landing gear.

UOwnyn9.jpg

The parachutes are cut and the engines are ignited for the final landing approach.

zTM0Wai.jpg

SrKSXIE.jpg

Landing successful.

nMkBXxz.jpg

The drill is deployed and mining operations commence. This site provides a reasonably good view of Duna's rings, and also allows observations of both of the planet's moons.

Back at Kerbin, another spacecraft is due to be launched. It is the Lacerta IPT (Interplanetary Transport), which will take 6 kerbals to Duna and back. It is constructed with three launches of an Ares V rocket.

5dLga1V.jpg

Spoiler

icYGhsP.jpg

The crew module is launched first.

e8fYXN2.jpg

WGSEgo6.jpg

QIIlqv7.jpg

Fairing separation.

dN8t0B2.jpg

sMnnKj5.jpg

The crew module of the Lacerta IPT in orbit.

MX70hGp.jpg

Separation of Ares V upper stage.

p8vXMll.jpg

The drop tank and supporting structure is launched second. The drop tank alone could be launched on an Ares IV, but the initial assembly of the vehicle mandates use of the Ares V to include the supporting structure.

UayWNjm.jpg

zeOW73W.jpg

Fairing separation.

vFqR4AA.jpg

GxwXUV5.jpg

Approaching the spacecraft.

TObNfWR.jpg

Separation of Ares V upper stage.

94DWq8C.jpg

sQ0m8zC.jpg

Docking successful.

aKKFiLe.jpg

The propulsion module is launched last. The Lacerta IPT is propelled by a modified version of the Andromeda propulsion module that uses nuclear thermal rockets rather than chemical rockets. The modification is made so that the spacecraft can be mostly reusable and will only require refuelling and replacement of the drop tank in order to be used for future missions.

RTeDwY3.jpg

g7HsLyj.jpg

79fKhIC.jpg

Fairing separation.

JbkhjK5.jpg

Approaching the spacecraft.

5ZlVH4j.jpg

Separation of Ares V upper stage, and preparing to dock.

xCuWAm6.jpg

Docking successful.

su3DFA5.jpg

Delta-v information shown here is slightly inaccurate, as it does not properly account for the separation of the drop tank after Kerbin departure, nor does it account for the addition of the Orion spacecraft.

xCuWAm6.jpg

The completed Lacerta IPT in orbit.

Good stuff man! 

I am salivating at the thought of showing off my constellation rebuild stuff. It's just not ready yet. My Ares V is a monster and proving a real pain to make work and look right.. The rest of the stuff is ready to go though. :-)

I've already shown my Altair lander a while back, I made a few changes to it since though.

Man, flying a full CPX mission is beyond fun! I wish you the best of luck dude. 

3 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Thanks! I'm not a man though by the way.

I'm looking forward to seeing your newer designs, you always manage to make incredibly good use of stock parts.

I don't care what your gender is to be honest mate. I call my female friends 'mate' 'man' 'dude' with no ill will intended. :)

thank you for saying so! I get so much pleasure from seeing others tackle this challenge. Keep up the good work matey! 

16 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

I don't care what your gender is to be honest mate. I call my female friends 'mate' 'man' 'dude' with no ill will intended.

I thought that might be the case, but please don't refer to me as "man", I have my reasons for disliking that.

10 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Is the Lacerta IPT using 3.75m parts?

Yes it is, though the drop tank is 2.5m. The nuclear engines are the stock ones.

How much delta-v does it have?

Far more than it should have. Including Orion, the first stage (drop tank fuel) has about 1400m/s, and the reusable part (fully fueled after the drop tank is gone) has a little over 5000m/s. It has too much because it probably should be fueled with liquid hydrogen but is instead fueled with liquid fuel, which is much denser so there's a lot more in the tanks. I was going for appearances rather than efficiency with all of these designs.

The good news, of course, is for the Beyond Constellation missions I shouldn't have to make any changes.

I'm curious because I'm trying to do some performance tuning for DSEV's Kopernicus reference design.

I do know from experience that a Kerbin-to-Duna transfer burn is about 1100m/s (which is what the drop tank needs), the Duna insertion is about 600m/s, and it's about the same for the return trip (I rounded up so the full value of 3400m/s for the full Kerbin-Duna-Kerbin joruney should be enough to include course corrections). I use MechJeb for extra precision though, so if you want to balance it for people who pilot spacecraft manually I think it would be best to round up to about 3600m/s for the full set of maneuvers, about 1100m/s of which is drop-tank fuel.

Definitely enjoying your mission reports. :)

Thanks! I'm glad you like them.

2 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Yes it is, though the drop tank is 2.5m. The nuclear engines are the stock ones.

Far more than it should have. Including Orion, the first stage (drop tank fuel) has about 1400m/s, and the reusable part (fully fueled after the drop tank is gone) has a little over 5000m/s. It has too much because it probably should be fueled with liquid hydrogen but is instead fueled with liquid fuel, which is much denser so there's a lot more in the tanks. I was going for appearances rather than efficiency with all of these designs.

The good news, of course, is for the Beyond Constellation missions I shouldn't have to make any changes.

I do know from experience that a Kerbin-to-Duna transfer burn is about 1100m/s (which is what the drop tank needs), the Duna insertion is about 600m/s, and it's about the same for the return trip (I rounded up so the full value of 3400m/s for the full Kerbin-Duna-Kerbin joruney should be enough to include course corrections). I use MechJeb for extra precision though, so if you want to balance it for people who pilot spacecraft manually I think it would be best to round up to about 3600m/s for the full set of maneuvers, about 1100m/s of which is drop-tank fuel.

Thanks! I'm glad you like them.

That's great information, thank you :)

15 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

That's great information, thank you :)

I want to amend some of that information, having just finished running the Duna mission (I'm tired so I'll upload it tomorrow). The values I provided are for an ideal transfer window, when the planets are close to a node. If you take that transfer window, the soonest return window is far less optimal, taking over 700m/s for Duna ejection (you'd have to wait another two years for the next 600m/s ejection, which isn't ideal).

I'd suggest adding 300m/s to the 3600m/s total I gave you previously (though the drop tank can still be just the first 1100 since it rarely goes above that); this should account for the less-optimal return windows as well as providing plenty of delta-v for mid-course corrections (which shouldn't total more than 50m/s but some people are less experienced with plotting them than I am). However, it may be best to go with a round 4km/s, to allow just a bit more room for error on manual flights and for less experienced players (to avoid turning away potential mod users because they're not able to fly with perfect efficiency).

Duna Excursion 1

yQ7ozLT.jpg

Year 5, Day 364. The DE1 crew prepare for launch on an extended version of the Orion spacecraft.

Launch of DE1-Orion. Crew: Valentina Kerman (Orion pilot; DAV pilot); Wenliana Kerman (Lab Specialist); Phoanne Kerman (Flight Engineer; Rover Pilot); Berella Kerman (Lacerta Pilot); Julella Kerman (Surface Equipment Specialist); Marlie Kerman (Systems Engineer).

kC9dPFw.jpg

Spoiler

JtW7fuK.jpg

I'd truncate the launch since it's been launched several times recently, but the engine has been fixed so I'm going to show all of the footage.

vkLh6Gd.jpg

Ignition.

tSKFdQK.jpg

Liftoff of DE1-Orion.

lQQ6MOV.jpg

Commencing gravity turn.

g5zPHbD.jpg

Breaking sound barrier.

FMuBM0u.jpg

First stage cutoff.

llWXGza.jpg

First stage separation.

2GTqlXe.jpg

Second stage ignition.

lXrmUs2.jpg

kqPMmD4.jpg

nwq1bJ5.jpg

Confirmation of first stage recovery.

FYnfnZm.jpg

Second stage cutoff as 80km apoapsis is reached.

vSM0CpT.jpg

LES separation.

nv32LDr.jpg

dMjzImK.jpg

Circularizing.

5TRpMem.jpg

Circularization complete.

MCzbPul.jpg

rNdEabr.jpg

Spacecraft deployment.

8lJRCTz.jpg

HPvCmik.jpg

Approaching the Lacerta IPT.

eY1TGzN.jpg

fEOzYOI.jpg

Docking successful.

The crew transfer into the interplanetary transport.

8ObJ0Rr.jpg

aiDn9oL.jpg

hIn09E0.jpg

Moving Orion into the forward position for interplanetary travel.

HDatxtW.jpg

The delta-v data shown here is for the drop tank fuel only.

Now that the crew have reached the interplanetary transport, the Duna transfer burn can be plotted. The maneuver has to be split into two parts due to the long engine burn time required.

D0ZtPqR.jpg

Spoiler

GTVNTdH.jpg

a3x5wMB.jpg

First transfer burn.

Y7WEfrR.jpg

8vMWxiS.jpg

8cXJCEW.jpg

Second transfer burn.

QSWIsCD.jpg

UtAWvsz.jpg

exjtpHz.jpg

fVf8okd.jpg

jJAqsdW.jpg

JmMspKx.jpg

vJFax2W.jpg

idP5WZo.jpg

tOqfMTs.jpg

Leaving Kerbin.

9UpaT9D.jpg

Drop tank separation.

bNkepcu.jpg

The transport without the drop tank.

N4TUUjJ.jpg

Delta-v total with main tank unlocked.

After some time spent in a solar orbit, the crew arrive at Duna.

lEX6v8n.jpg

Spoiler

P4SkKFS.jpg

Approaching the planet.

7pTXUMF.jpg

64YIAv6.jpg

Passing over Duna's rings.

nSO9sIv.jpg

DEc6qGb.jpg

mpYsri0.jpg

Capture burn complete.

UVWWo5T.jpg

6S3R3fP.jpg

MFDHxRZ.jpg

VRV2hMJ.jpg

Two more maneuvers bring the spacecraft into a circular 100km orbit of Duna.

Ef0E4u8.jpg

Delta-v total after Duna capture and circularization.

Once in Duna orbit, the crew move to the Orion spacecraft, which will ferry them to the Corvus-H vehicle.

0uIsYbX.jpg

Spoiler

kgXufnk.jpg

Undocking from Lacerta.

EVGxsU7.jpg

Current delta-v readout.

9LXAVfj.jpg

Approaching Corvus-H.

eKCwk1n.jpg

GXk7blk.jpg

p9RCVkM.jpg

Docking successful.

N33F7r7.jpg

After the crew leave Orion and enter the Corvus-H, the Orion spacecraft undocks and returns autonomously to Lacerta.

wSHC42R.jpg

eSRjblX.jpg

JI9Irgg.jpg

After waiting for a few orbits for the landing site to be in daylight, the crew prepare to land in the Corvus-H.

3w3urWa.jpg

Spoiler

ADSwkMi.jpg

De-orbiting.

sz5sq99.jpg

Propulsion module separation.

FeiCgca.jpg

Corvus-H orients itself for atmospheric entry.

0wopoE3.jpg

RGORhc3.jpg

ldOmRHD.jpg

xPn9Uux.jpg

1HkvN3c.jpg

Drogue chute deployment.

p4LYWiY.jpg

Upper aeroshell separation.

2a3v2HX.jpg

Main chute deployment.

bzxyND0.jpg

Lower aeroshell and aeroshell adapter separation.

tu8tn6j.jpg

E1B6NOT.jpg

2nKRAqu.jpg

88lNdCE.jpg

NZSinMT.jpg

Duna landing achieved on Year 6 Day 301.

i0I4LtJ.jpg

Due to a slight error in re-entry trajectory, the habitation module landed several kilometers away from the DAV.

zdCHq04.jpg

Rover deployment.

Rj4Bg8x.jpg

NR1waQt.jpg

The crew all on EVA.

NR1waQt.jpg

After the successful landing, the crew will spend a year and 79 days on the surface of Duna.

Spoiler

UNOGkzi.jpg

Many of the surface operations include rover excursions. The crew landed in a midlands area, and there is also a lowlands area nearby which looks promising for scientific surveying.

m8ud3Cp.jpg

dtJoY1a.jpg

dgOf5Pi.jpg

The rover has a top speed of about 35m/s on average. Luckily it can be driven safely at high rates of physics warp.

q8nNB2b.jpg

Lowlands site has been reached.

0w4Hk6J.jpg

The site is 18.6km away from the habitat.

CI9b3Q0.jpg

cRv0vKY.jpg

rYNOTCc.jpg

Returning to the habitation module.

After one year and 79 days on the surface of Duna, it is time for the crew to leave the red planet.

CxgQzEc.jpg

AUxpT68.jpg

Valentina, Wenliana, Phoanne, and Berella travel to the Duna Ascent Vehicle first. The rover only seats four, so Phoanne will return to pick up Julella and Marlie after.

hQYkJSw.jpg

VabVxMV.jpg

ZJbseiC.jpg

2TsLcDe.jpg

lz9mfpq.jpg

o1epPUt.jpg

5LCieGV.jpg

The first crew to reach the DAV also brought the valuable scientific data that was obtained on the mission.

oVG6nNf.jpg

CH7vg7y.jpg

QUXudpn.jpg

s2o5lqV.jpg

D7UiOeJ.jpg

2FpHRuH.jpg

RyDuwcO.jpg

The crew leave the Corvus habitat for the last time.

vnlHPuR.jpg

oORMqDS.jpg

9ssJGi0.jpg

TFP83ks.jpg

1w9t0ls.jpg

After a long time spent on the surface of Duna (and a long time spent by me driving around), the crew of Duna Excursion 1 are all in the Duna Ascent Vehicle, ready to return to Lacerta in orbit.

DISVBGg.jpg

Spoiler

POoVoUJ.jpg

For some reason the delta-v information doesn't show whilst the DAV is still attached to the Corvus lander. It has a little over 1600m/s of delta-v.

WWiTNzi.jpg

dQBh7sD.jpg

B1no5S5.jpg

ewj6wgm.jpg

ZxxxflS.jpg

t1AuEES.jpg

9y3nE66.jpg

O68MfTs.jpg

ntosXqd.jpg

6JrAPV4.jpg

eBWKqmM.jpg

EZhOQOa.jpg

EYwJ1Py.jpg

pa5PNDh.jpg

The crew have reached Duna orbit.

V0Qh5Dq.jpg

xmrjcF0.jpg

XoLi2yS.jpg

JJyVJjC.jpg

Lhsltfh.jpg

rrDOEQT.jpg

S8tjUPv.jpg

Rendezvous and docking with Lacerta.

MiBE4B5.jpg

1biaTOX.jpg

FSSKxlw.jpg

After the crew transfer to the Lacerta IPT, the DAV autonomously de-orbits.

The return maneuver is plotted.

PeVF3l4.jpg

Spoiler

WEPv3kK.jpg

BFqKKmh.jpg

JvufFVi.jpg

KTS5UBJ.jpg

J2ib4hv.jpg

nNLXxfi.jpg

y4zY9Vj.jpg

vFoE3AM.jpg

VeBrjsc.jpg

KgwEdoN.jpg

Executing trans-Kerbin injection burn.

fu9WXDn.jpg

KsVqIMZ.jpg

C0L04sG.jpg

mvkDVrx.jpg

D0Ergtv.jpg

Ztsf9Hz.jpg

Leaving Duna.

bj95ojq.jpg

CqLWuw6.jpg

PMjBH1W.jpg

Arriving at Kerbin.

YQd0VwI.jpg

ewHXYwj.jpg

blqSIqB.jpg

Capturing into an elliptical Kerbin orbit.

dN2pecU.jpg

7HWD32J.jpg

QhaDpGX.jpg

J2T8A6T.jpg

oTtzrMC.jpg

Ul16CnL.jpg

Tz4SizS.jpg

Two more maneuvers to circularize.

KJLUPyX.jpg

mfPnD4M.jpg

The crew transfer to Orion and undock from Lacerta.

Klwu02E.jpg

De-orbiting.

LLr32w7.jpg

nnjSSPJ.jpg

Service module separation.

p5UD19f.jpg

KXGc6NK.jpg

Re-entering.

Rq7zLmZ.jpg

jgws4H6.jpg

vDzoLrN.jpg

ltWHX0e.jpg

Landing successful. The crew of Duna Excursion 1 land safely on Kerbin at Year 8 Day 293, less than three years after their departure.

Surface Science Bonus: 1580

Spoiler

ePbxIwA.jpg

07E9BRM.jpg

sLS0Len.jpg

8KjB75e.jpg

Science data collected from two biomes. Excluding data for recovering a vessel from solar orbit, I obtained 1580 science points on this mission.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.