[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion thread

kacperrutka26

Thought Id add my 2c to the Mars-like planet development.

My only issue with it, is that it seems pretty highly saturated. So I dropped the saturation down + moved the hue over a bit closer to orange.

Pfe9j.jpg

Exciting stuff though :D Wasnt expecting new planets for quite some time.

More than likely his first attempt at a legit landing, which went wrong due to not being used to the conditions.

The mars like planet will likely have thinner atmosphere, yet still relatively strong gravity. So imagine landing on the Mun with more gravity than usual. The atmosphere doesnt slow you down very much (especially relative to what youd be used to back on Kerbin) and the gravity is pulling you down faster, so your pretty much going to run into some troubles unless your used to the conditions and have a strong rocket assisted approach to the surface planned.

Can I make a small request? Can you make it so tanks list their fuel in mass and not volume? Just throws me off cause you do everything my mass and thinking about trying to actually calculate what I need in my rockets. Would save me a step.

If you are making calculations, you are not kerbal enough!

I believe even the Apollo capsules had life support build in. ......The Apollo missions supported a 3 day trip there, 3 days on the moon, and 3 days back.

The Apollo capsule had not....the whole ship had.

The Apollo Spaceship was a two part system.

a) The capsule to land and

B) the CSM (Command Service Module) about three times the size of the capsule where all the fuel, batts and lifesupport where in for up to 14 days.

Without the CSM the Apollo capsules the where not able to keep them alive much longer then required for reentry and landing.

for the 0.17 - 0.18 update and you sort out the gliching screen from when you click the launch button to go to runway / launch pad as when you click the button the screan shows the image of the ground but sideways and gliches out but then responds and shows your rocket on the launch pad readdy to go

this bug has bean around as far as i know from 0.13 and it would really improve the game as im sure other players are anoyed with this bug

More than likely his first attempt at a legit landing, which went wrong due to not being used to the conditions.

The mars like planet will likely have thinner atmosphere, yet still relatively strong gravity. So imagine landing on the Mun with more gravity than usual. The atmosphere doesnt slow you down very much (especially relative to what youd be used to back on Kerbin) and the gravity is pulling you down faster, so your pretty much going to run into some troubles unless your used to the conditions and have a strong rocket assisted approach to the surface planned.

Now that you mentioned it, I just thought of something. Landing on a planet like Mars means that we need detachable parachutes. That way we can have a chute to slow down before landing, then jettison it and do the last bit with the engines.

Honestly I would like to see a Dagoba-like planet (star wars reference)(The one where yoda lives in the original trilogy), with like caves and stuff for kerbals to explore, and vines on trees that they can climb 8) That would be so cool!!

Honestly I would like to see a Dagoba-like planet (star wars reference)(The one where yoda lives in the original trilogy), with like caves and stuff for kerbals to explore, and vines on trees that they can climb 8) That would be so cool!!

A planet with some vegetation on it would be awesome, but let\'s not have it be an Earth-like swamp world with green trees.

Alien leaves could be almost any colour, but I think darker would be cooler. Just based on the idea behind leaves (they\'re mini solar panels basically), a really efficient leaf would be black, absorbing as much light as possible.

An icy white world with black vegetation would look amazing.

I know theres a core in a gas planet but in jupiters case its highly compressed gas that makes it acted like metallic material that could be implemented if the user builds a strong craft to go down there if thats possible :)

Speaking about gas giants: deployable gas balloons could be awesome for putting small outposts in upper atmosphere (or lifting up capsule in redbull stratos style) 8).

There is a Ludo blimp mod that works on Kerbin, it might work on the gas giant?

Getting it there in the first place would be a challenge though

Are there any plans for planets in the Kuiper belt sort of region?

As for tools, all we really need are:

The location of our orbit\'s ascending/descending nodes

This is for making sure that inclinations are as they need to be in an orbit

A feature that tells us how far behind we are to a planet/moon. Basically, for example, I\'m in orbit around Kerbin, at say, 600km, and I click on the Mun. The conics system then draws a line between me and Kerbin, and a line between the Mun and Kerbin, and then tells me the angle between these lines. From there, if I\'ve calculated the exact angle for a TMI at this altitude, I can get a perfect TMI. Clearly, this would be more effective going from, say, Kerbin to Koseidon.

The Apollo capsule had not....the whole ship had.

The Apollo Spaceship was a two part system.

a) The capsule to land and

B) the CSM (Command Service Module) about three times the size of the capsule where all the fuel, batts and lifesupport where in for up to 14 days.

Without the CSM the Apollo capsules the where not able to keep them alive much longer then required for reentry and landing.

If the capsule had no life support systems, the two people on the moon would have died. They didn\'t wear the suits inside the lander as well.

Pretty sure they wore suits inside the lander. You can\'t put a space-suit on in that small of a space.

OT: I\'d love to just see the mars analogue released aug. 5.

The suits only had ~3-6 hours of oxygen in them. How would they have survived on 3-6 hours worth of oxygen over a period of three days?