[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion thread

kacperrutka26

But.. Doesn't that actually work counter productively as all users have to spam 5 times in order to see these awesome pictures everyone is talking about?

No, not really. They don't have to "spam" 5 times, merely make 5 posts, they can all be constructive and useful or just something utterly random in off-topic or something. It's a method of engaging the community to be a constructive member, as opposed as a lurker/bystander.

Also, we're going off-topic again. ;)

it looks like there is one ore two ilands on the planit, oh no wait that was a speck of dirt on my monitor XD.

It looks like there are a few, or maybe it's just the JPG compression at work. Hard to tell. Trying to land on small islands on a water world would be good fun.

But.. Doesn't that actually work counter productively as all users have to spam 5 times in order to see these awesome pictures everyone is talking about?

It has been updated so all users can now see them: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/16631-Thread-for-new-members-to-have-fun-and-get-enough-posts-to-view-the-0-17-pics?p=232372&viewfull=1#post232372

I don't think it was intentional.

There are a couple of bright spots on the closest moon. Aliens? There are a few dark spots on the 'water' moon. Aliens? I'm gonna call them ULOs (unidentified land-based objects). So who knows what the ULOs could be?

There are a couple of bright spots on the closest moon. Aliens? There are a few dark spots on the 'water' moon. Aliens? I'm gonna call them ULOs (unidentified land-based objects). So who knows what the ULOs could be?

We don't even know what any of those are, until Nova lands there and shows us (if he ever will). It looks like the dark spots are mini-storms to me. :cool:

Should be interesting if any of those 4 moons are in retrograde orbit.

That would be a little harder to get to the moons one by one like that, but that would be cool.

it looks like water to me its the same blue reflection as kerbals oshens and and you can see its atmosphere in the pic. it looks like there is one ore two ilands on the planit, oh no wait that was a speck of dirt on my monitor XD. landing on and taking of the planet is going to be fun :0.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31031&d=1344586622

Oh My God...

Didn't notice the blue ocean planet in my first look.

That is amazing, it deffinitly will need an island or two, for percision landing...

(Ocean planet, reminds me of an episode of ST Voyager)

There is also the white Moon object too the far left, an this massive greyish planet/moon front screen, it looks desolate, if some interesting mountain ranges...

Edited by Seanoog

I have to say, I really don't like the green of the gas giant. It just looks dumb to be perfectly honest. A brown or blue would look far better in my opinion, just not green. If you want to keep it green I would suggest desaturating the color a bit. It's too extreme at the moment.

A question for Nova, does the current terrain engine allow for non spherical moons? For example, could you make a Deimos (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8d/Deimos-MRO.jpg/250px-Deimos-MRO.jpg) or Phoebe (http://wanderingspace.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/phoebe_portrait.jpg) shaped moon if you wanted to?

Edited by khenness
found better pictures

I have to say, I really don't like the green of the gas giant. It just looks dumb to be perfectly honest. A brown or blue would look far better in my opinion, just not green. If you want to keep it green I would suggest desaturating the color a bit. It's too extreme at the moment.

I agree, it looks really out of place.

A question for Nova, does the current terrain engine allow for non spherical moons? For example, could you make a Deimos (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8d/Deimos-MRO.jpg/250px-Deimos-MRO.jpg) or Phoebe (http://wanderingspace.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/phoebe_portrait.jpg) shaped moon if you wanted to?

I hope so; those are the most interesting types

A question for Nova, does the current terrain engine allow for non spherical moons?...

I'm guessing no, unless you ignore the gravity weirdness and just make a point somewhere near the center the point from where gravity is calculated.

I'm guessing no, unless you ignore the gravity weirdness and just make a point somewhere near the center the point from where gravity is calculated.

The gravity would be calculated from the center of mass, reducing at an inverse square with relation to distance from center of mass... which already happens in KSP. So I don't think it would be much of a problem, unless the irregular shapes cannot be generated.

I agree, it looks really out of place.

Out of place from what? a system with one planet and two moons?

There's not really much "place" for it to look "out of place" in. :P

I for one think the idea of a green gas giant is pretty amazing, though I might be heavily biased considering my favourite colour is green. ;P

* Many new planets and moons throughout the Kerbal Solar System.

Assigned to: NovaSilisko

it appears we will be getting new planets which will be awesome

i cant see anything about docking or IVA's.

Internal Cockpit Views: The first iteration of the IVAs (Intra-Vehicular Activities) feature set.

Assigned to: Mu, C7

Most people have a problem with the color because it just wont happen in real life. With that said they dont seem to have a problem with little green monkies who are able to build space ships before they can build cars or cities.

Well, green isn't my favorite color, but I still think this planet looks pretty cool. And after all, KSP is based on real physics, but in a simplified way, and I don't think this realism will ever extend to the color of planets. Kerbin is already around 10 times as dense as Earth, but is an otherwise very similar planet, so I don't see what could be shocking having a green or purple planet. I have to say though, that real-life yellow and blue gas giants do look awesome. :P

Thanks Ted.

Change to vBulliten, we have lost the spoiler tags..

Only older posts from the previous forum that have no name for the spoilers don't work anymore. As long as you write

, it will display correctly.

Still, Bright Vibrant and Intense colors are the core of "Cartoon" stile that are the devs going for..

True, but colors that are too intense (such as RGB 255,0,0 or perfect green or blue, even yellow) can also be difficult to look at and make your eyes feel painful. I wouldn't want to look at an almost perfectly green ground for too long...

Edited by Cykyrios