[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion thread

kacperrutka26

Oooh, a bog planet would be nice

Jeb Skycrasher travels to the bog planet to learn the way of the great explosion under the tutelage of the hermit rocket master, Soda-Mentos Kerman.

But a bog planet/moon would be awesome, though I think it should be saved for another star though.

When it comes to the gas giant's color, I actually don't mind it. Though I'm generally on the side of realism in these manners, a green gas giant just kinda works for this. Plus it's a nice departure from our own system's color palette. Though I think it will look much better with Nova's planned changes, as it really needs a more banded appearance, (like Jupiter) I think.

Though I don't really care for adding large continents to the blue moon, having a mostly oceanic world sounds rather appealing. The small islands will make it a challenging landing. You could even say successful landings would only happen once in a blue moon. Wow that was a lame joke, sorry about that.

Jeb Skycrasher travels to the bog planet to learn the way of the great explosion under the tutelage of the hermit rocket master, Soda-Mentos Kerman.

Now I know I'm not the only one that keeps thinking of Dagobah when "bog planet" is mentioned. :P

Anyway, the revisions to the new bodies should be interesting. I wasn't even aware that the blue moon had any visible land at all...unless those islands weren't included in that dev screenshot.

That's an awesome idea. And in reply to someone else I think that the gas planet should have bands of yellow-green or yellow-blue. I can't quote the person, replying from my phone.

Sorry if this is off-topic but I can't resist pointing this out. A band of yellow-blue is just green. But thanks for replying to my suggestion. :)

Guys, I know this is a discussion thread, but why argue about a colour of a planet? The game its self doesnt need to be realistic, E.g, Minmus: Not realistic because it's not in our solar system and how can it be frozen when it's closer to the sun than kerbin is at times. So the green gas giant can be anything HarvesterR or all the other devs want. Talking of realism, we havent got humans in the game have we? We have green little people that fly rockets for a living.

So minmus isn't realistic because it isn't in our solar system? Minmus is possible, there are threads discussing it. Just to recall a few: kerbol is not a very luminous, hot star like our own, and Kerbin could be heated by it's core. Ice on minmus could be made of a different substance with a much higher melting point. And humans?!? How on Kerbin are we going to get humans to a different solar system, maybe spiral arm, maybe galaxy, maybe even UNIVERSE! Case closed :)

To recap, ksp isn't a carbon copy of our solar system, in fact, it isn't even close, and that is how the devs want it. If you want to play around with our solar system, look up Orbiter (not saying it is a bad game.) :)

Edited by AeroPelican

Wow, going from the demo to 0.16 was mind blowing but 0.17 looks like its going to be even a larger jump. If the stepping stones are this huge how expansive is the final game going to be :eek:. Can't wait to get to the new planets!

The gas planet's green color is going to be toned down a bit, as well as re-painted with more detail. The blue moon is going to be redone to include continents, instead of tiny islands.

Please dont change the water planet too much Nova.

By adding continents, it will become another Kerbin...

At least with islands, equivalent to (Ireland/England/Japan - In proportion to Earth) there will be land masses' but they would be small, an landings would require pilots to be pin-point accurate! :)

That assumes that the continents have the same area of land as what we have on Kerbin. If these continents are the Kerbalverse equivalant of Australia in size then they'll still be small without being tiny.

We'll just have to see what happens when the revisions are done.

At least with islands, equivalent to (Ireland/England/Japan - In proportion to Earth) there will be land masses' but they would be small, an landings would require pilots to be pin-point accurate! :)

Considering that it is close to Meander and heated by tidal forces, I would imagine it will only be Kerbin-like in appearance only.

That assumes that the continents have the same area of land as what we have on Kerbin. If these continents are the Kerbalverse equivalant of Australia in size then they'll still be small without being tiny.

We'll just have to see what happens when the revisions are done.

Yeah, I agree, I wouldn't mind small continents, partly due to the fact that I'm useless at KSP, but a mix of continents and islands would be nice, but I'd like it to be mostly made up of that bog-ish murky water, with dark, muddy land... That would make a very mysterious atmosphere along with something to replicate fog... Oooooh... I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself now... ;)

Just a quick question to the devs could you guys add a time acceleration button the the tracking station view since now we get planets it will make it easier to wait for launch windows to the planets

Just go to launch your ship (but leave it on the pad), hit m, zoom out, and time accelerate.

Yeah, I agree, I wouldn't mind small continents, partly due to the fact that I'm useless at KSP, but a mix of continents and islands would be nice, but I'd like it to be mostly made up of that bog-ish murky water, with dark, muddy land... That would make a very mysterious atmosphere along with something to replicate fog... Oooooh... I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself now... ;)

Jeb! you must go to the Degobah system!

Of course I didn't think that KSP should be an realistic game , but also believe that some simplifications and change in kerbal universe are "okay" if it's a reason to do like improving game experience/reducing unnecessary complexity or simply be less "boring" - like desaturated version of red planet that simply looks dead without some color.

Mentioned before issue with gas-planet (green) color was not because I don't like it or something, but because it's there so plenty of cool (and beauty) plausible colors and patterns, so it's no reason of don't using them ;).

And please guys, stop repeating again and again: "It's only a game, and it should be fun not realistic". Yes you're perfectly right, but answer like that could counter all other argument's and also, using this way of thinking we could imagine planet with woods made from candybars... Point is about finding golden mean between good (and fun) gameplay experience and plausible physics and technology, witch IMHO KSP already deals whith this issue better than many other games and this made it so special.

Maybe it looks I'm overreacting about some color, but it's more about my opinion and personal taste, where is the line between nice/awesome looking world and a candyland.

That's all from my side :).

Edited by karolus10

Pretty sure the first planet is confirmed as Charr.

This would be a pretty good name for a Mercury-like planet. A charred rocky world.

The Venus-like planet, the purple one, have been sort of confirmed by Nova to be called Eve, which I find very fitting.

I agree with Karolus, the colour green is a bit too out of place.

Additionally, I think the planets should also be aesthetically pleasing, which, quite frankly, the purple and green planets are not at all. I would even go as far as to say they look somewhat ugly, no offence to Nova as he has done some amazing designs and modelling in the past and I acknowledge that these designs aren't finished at the moment. I, personally, don't want KSP's Solar System to become some sort of grotesque rainbow-type monster, which it is starting to become with the insanely saturated and bland colours.

One thing I think would maybe improve the overall look is if maybe a bit more detail was added to the planets, then maybe the colours wouldn't need to be as saturated.