[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion thread

kacperrutka26

Ted I kinda agree with you but once we get weather or some sort of place-holder for it,

then the clouds will add detail and prevent planets from being solid colors.

Besides I kinda like Eve's Purple atmosphere, it makes it seem exotic and truly alien.

I agree with Karolus, the colour green is a bit too out of place.

Additionally, I think the planets should also be aesthetically pleasing, which, quite frankly, the purple and green planets are not at all. I would even go as far as to say they look somewhat ugly, no offence to Nova as he has done some amazing designs and modelling in the past and I acknowledge that these designs aren't finished at the moment. I, personally, don't want KSP's Solar System to become some sort of grotesque rainbow-type monster, which it is starting to become with the insanely saturated and bland colours.

One thing I think would maybe improve the overall look is if maybe a bit more detail was added to the planets, then maybe the colours wouldn't need to be as saturated.

io.jpg

im all for more detail, there's nothing wrong with the planets as they are naw thay just need lots more detail.

We've recieved the final image from our lone Kerbonaut, but it seems like it didn't come through very well...

brokenphoto.jpg

I didn't see anyone post about this, but isn't this a star with a solar flare? I mean if you look at this

retouched2.png

Upon further retouching it becomes apparent that a spacecraft is crashing in to a large Moon like rock with a planet in the backround.

Oh, for crying out loud, people! Nova's picture is obviously an extinct Martian playing a gaelic harp:

p1zAF.png

(Oh, just pretend the damned thing is spoilered, okay?)

(Thanks softweir!)

Edited by Vanamonde
It is now. :) Just edit your post to see how.

This would be a pretty good name for a Mercury-like planet. A charred rocky world.

The Venus-like planet, the purple one, have been sort of confirmed by Nova to be called Eve, which I find very fitting.

Charr is most likely a homage to Starcraft, at least it will be in my mind. Bloody brilliant choice of name :)

As a sidenote, oh god i hope Nova doesn't listen too much to the "bohoo it must be realistic" comments people give here..

Every screenshot i've seen so far of the new planets look absolutely awesome. The colors are great. There's nothing wrong with color.

Just look at how Kerbal turned out after the devs listened too much to the complaints about it being "too colorful".

Just do it the way you envision the planets Nova, make this game into a wonderful fantastical exploratory experience.

This is a game about huge-headed green cucumbers flying rockets. There is no need to hold back on the creative side.

Go all out on it, don't hold back, i beg you. We can either eventually have dozens of solar systems with identical desaturated mars-like planets, or we can have them each be unique and interesting.

We can never have as much intricate detail in a game as real-life planets have, that is why we must exaggerate slightly, either in color palette or composition, to better diversify them.

In reality 2 mars-like desert planets might look incredibly different despite being of a similar color with a similar atmosphere, but in a game they will look like boring copies of eachother.

Edited by Baleur

Charr is most likely a homage to Starcraft, at least it will be in my mind. Bloody brilliant choice of name :)

As a sidenote, oh god i hope Nova doesn't listen too much to the "bohoo it must be realistic" comments people give here..

Every screenshot i've seen so far of the new planets look absolutely awesome. The colors are great. There's nothing wrong with color.

Just look at how Kerbal turned out after the devs listened too much to the complaints about it being "too colorful".

Just do it the way you envision the planets Nova, make this game into a wonderful fantastical exploratory experience.

This is a game about huge-headed green cucumbers flying rockets. There is no need to hold back on the creative side.

Go all out on it, don't hold back, i beg you. We can either eventually have dozens of solar systems with identical desaturated mars-like planets, or we can have them each be unique and interesting.

Yeah, Kerbin was a colorfull fun planet, now it's a bland, colorless planet. I actually like Charr color, that's what makes it special.

I do agree with previous replies that they should have more than just 1 color, especially some of the gas giants should have 2-3 shades in their belts (cloud belts, not asteroid belts), such as jupiter has irl.

As for rocky planets, same thing there. Some subtle shade differences in color or darkness. I mean look at Io, Titan with it's green & orange tint or Ganymede, callisto that looks like it is full of stars, or enceladus that has blue tiger stripes.

Color is very important to distinguish similar objects.

But of course i also agree that pure 255 green is not a good idea to use under any circumstance, there must be some swayroom for the lighting engine to do its part.

But that does Not mean it should be reduced too much to 155 green (random example). Just a mere 20-30 points reduction is enough to get a more natural palette of shade.

Even our moon in real life has some color, although desaturated of course.

I think a slightly over-saturated depiction of real life is what suits this game perfectly, such as this edited image of the moon to better bring out the (still real) colors within.

phpThumb_cache_rc-astro.com_src179b90089c075c869ae39de7b7782cf9_par0ddf367c5f01d9ba090bf356b6761f52_dat1265601070.jpeg
Edited by softweir
Spoiler fixed.

The when .17 comes out release it as a mod so more people can enjoy it :)

Will it even be possible to make planets as mods? I know about that mod that gives parts their own gravitational force but I don't think properly making more planets as mods is possible for now...