[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion thread

kacperrutka26

Something I\'d like to see in 0.17\'s planets is more interesting landscapes.

Currently we pretty much only have really soft, midly interesting hills.

Canyons, immense mountains, rivers, plateaus in extreme altitudes, please?

In the desert planet\'s deepest canyon, the air pressure is 0.2x that of kerbin, going down to 0.02x at some of the higher mountains. I\'m also working on smaller scale detail, but it\'s kind of difficult to see unless the sun is at a steep angle. Rivers might be possible but it\'d difficult.

In the desert planet\'s deepest canyon, the air pressure is 0.2x that of kerbin, going down to 0.02x at some of the higher mountains. I\'m also working on smaller scale detail, but it\'s kind of difficult to see unless the sun is at a steep angle. Rivers might be possible but it\'d difficult.

Awesome! Good to hear you\'re working on it :D

Wouldn\'t rivers work just like in Kerbin, by setting the water level at a certain height and just lowering terrain?

Awesome! Good to hear you\'re working on it :D

Wouldn\'t rivers work just like in Kerbin, by setting the water level at a certain height and just lowering terrain?

Well, you have a limited resolution on a heightmap to work with. The ideal method would be some sort of procedural system, but that\'d be a nightmare to create.

What would interst is, if there is a planet with a atmosphere thick enough to use planes. I normally a not such a big plane fan in KSP but I imagine it to be interesting to fly around other worlds without having to orbital mecahnics.

Well, you have a limited resolution on a heightmap to work with. The ideal method would be some sort of procedural system, but that\'d be a nightmare to create.

Oh, I didn\'t know. I thought after the terrain update it was generated from a base map and tesselated from there. Interesting to know

I guess thats going to be one of the huge obstacles to overcome down the line, since eventualy you really are going to need to be able to make more interesting terrain, and the height maps just won\'t cut it for planets that need more extreme landscapes. also, the whole height map thing means that all the planets are technically just hollow shells, so you can\'t make any sort of cave system in them either :( (or really deform them in any way.)

I hope that the parts (especially the liquid engines) get some re balancing. Right now they seem too weak, and the solids are too good. IVA\'s would be cool, but I just don\'t see the practicality. What I want most is a new planet...

I second that one, but I want a new planet with an atmosphere and heavier gravity (as we already have lighter gravity objects) that would make a new chalenge of makeing a craft that has plenty of fuel and enough thrust for landing safely and returning

I\'ve noticed everybody is being tight-lipped about how gas-giants are going to be implemented. Not sure what to make of that, if it means something new and big is coming or that they just don\'t know yet.

From everything i\'ve heard, that still wouldn\'t help with the whole river creating thing.

I mean, the guy who\'s spend 5-6 years working on procedural planets for infinity says he can\'t do rivers in a way that isn\'t unrealistically complicated to implement.

For now, the implementation of gas giants is preliminary - there\'s no real surface, you just fall until you overheat and explode. Eventually, once we have a cloud system, your view would get more and more fogged up as you descend deeper.

For now, the implementation of gas giants is preliminary - there\'s no real surface, you just fall until you overheat and explode. Eventually, once we have a cloud system, your view would get more and more fogged up as you descend deeper.

How would the 'surface' of these planets be implemented?

Excellent post. Confirmation of gas giants and explanation of how they\'re handled. The falling until overheat or explode sounds like an acceptable system for now.

Like someone else said when they add gas gaint they should add a pressure meter. So if there was a venus like planet there could be a part that makes it so your craft could endure more pressure but at the cost of making your craft more heavy.

Guest butt head

you just fall until you overheat and explode

so does this mean we are getting reentry heat?

and we could avoid this by constantly retro burning until we had enough atmosphere to slow us down or will it be <presser < heat

in which what would we see in the middle if we used cheat parts that never blow up?

if there is reentry heat will it just before gas giants or on kerbin and all other gas covered planets?

Totally answered; it was in fact the topic of the prior discussion - the answer is yes, there are gas giants, but with a preliminary implementation (currently only 1 implemented so far IIRC)

It would be great to start to build a spaceship with no cockpit, as well, such as payload decoupler. They could then, almost without changing the design of spacecraft, in orbit different payloads. Or for the VAB to create a payload separately. And to be even and make the constructor of stages, and then connect them?

sorry for my Google translator :)