[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion thread

kacperrutka26

Pretend it isn\'t there, it might go away on its own.

While I am quite excited about what all is being projected for 0.17, I think what has got my whiskers twitching most is

* Quick Flight Scenarios: Start flights from pre-set conditions, without interfering with your persistent sandbox save, and also save your own scenarios from your main game.

Makes me wonder if we will be able to share actual performed missions with others in the community. This would be the logical step beyond Youtube that would really raise the bar on how we really interact. That\'s where I am putting my money, anyway.

Also for people that havent seen this, this is what Harvesterr posted about .17 and what will be implemented, It\'s long...

New for KSP 0.17:

* Internal Cockpit Views: The first iteration of the IVAs (Intra-Vehicular Activities) feature set.

Assigned to: Mu, C7

* Quick Flight Scenarios: Start flights from pre-set conditions, without interfering with your persistent sandbox save, and also save your own scenarios from your main game.

Assigned to: HarvesteR

* Training Scenarios: Hands-On tutorials to teach you everything from craft construction to orbital maneuvers.

Assigned to: HarvesteR, Nova

* Center of mass, thrust, lift and drag visual cues on the construction scenes.

* Prebuilt ships included with the game, as examples and possible starting points.

Assigned to: Everyone

* Several new parts

Assigned to: Nova, C7

* Many new planets and moons throughout the Kerbal Solar System.

Assigned to: NovaSilisko

* vBulletin implementation

Assigned to: aLeXmOrA

* Physical Timewarp Modes: An alternate time-warp mode where you can accelerate time to 2x, 3x and 4x without putting the sim on rails.

Bug Fixes and Tweaks:

* Krakensbane: A solution to the 'Space Kraken' issue

* Many bugs fixed on the fuel flow system.

* Tweaked the atmosphere rendering for Kerbin a bit, for improved visuals.

* Revised part titles and descriptions for the parts added in 0.16

* Many new planets and moons throughout the Kerbal Solar System.

Assigned to: NovaSilisko

I just love how it says 'many' :D

Can\'t wait for the update!

photo4.png

Is that... the new sun??? (with an actual physical \'surface\')

Damn these low res pictures!! ;)

Really looking forward to this next update, I would have been excited enough with one more planet or moon O_o

And I like Harvs comment about smaller features adding to gameplay - adding huge features (like EVA\'s etc) is great, but a bunch of smaller things can really add to more dynamic gameplay. Cant wait to hear more about it :)

If there is a gas giant being added what will happen if we fly into it? Since currently there isn\'t any weather or reentry effects (or clouds for that matter) would a craft just fall through the atmosphere until it becomes so dense that the craft seemingly floats on air? Or lands in a liquid sea of whatever?

Actually, the probe Galileo flew into Jupiter and was crushed by an extremely dense atmosphere and High G\'s.

So don\'t expect being able to sending a CM down and getting a Kerbal out for a nice swim.

photo3.pngphoto4.png

Well, in Picture 1, it appears as though a extremely large \'crater\' is distorting the crescent phase of that planet, or something, and Picture 2 gives me three Ideas:

A: The said planet is in a very close orbit around the sun

B: The said planet is a moon orbiting a lit gas planet (Like in 2010: The year we make contact)

C: That\'s no Planet, No moon, It\'s the freak\'n DEATH STAR!!!

Actually the picture on the left could just be our Mun; it has a large crater in that exact spot that gives it a striking resemblance to the Death Star.

Picture two is a large, sandy ball of rock orbiting close to the sun. Bascially, KSP\'s version of Mercury or Venus.

I\'m also very curious to see how the gas giants (if indeed that\'s what is meant by 'gas planet') are handled without atmospheric heating, pressure and the like.

Jeb will be promptly sent on a mission to 'scout the surface' of the nearest gas giant, with Mission Control eagerly awaiting news as he descends bravely into the clouds, convinced that there\'s a solid surface down there.

Actually the picture on the left could just be our Mun; it has a large crater in that exact spot that gives it a striking resemblance to the Death Star.

Picture two is a large, sandy ball of rock orbiting close to the sun. Bascially, KSP\'s version of Mercury or Venus.

It\'s hard to tell from the resolution of the pictures, but it seems to me that the 'sand dunes' (if that\'s what they are) are pretty well done. In any case, unlike most surface features I\'ve seen thus far. Leads me to believe we might see much more detailed, or better models for these planets. Maybe.

Edit: Also, I don\'t believe it\'s meant to be a Venus-like planet. If so, I don\'t think we would be able to see Kerbol, due to the extremely dense atmosphere. The surface of Venus is in constant twilight.I\'m inclined to agree with Mercury.

Well, in Picture 1, it appears as though a extremely large \'crater\' is distorting the crescent phase of that planet, or something, and Picture 2 gives me three Ideas:

A: The said planet is in a very close orbit around the sun

B: The said planet is a moon orbiting a lit gas planet (Like in 2010: The year we make contact)

C: That\'s no Planet, No moon, It\'s the freak\'n DEATH STAR!!!

My guess is that its the Mars-like planet, the \'crater\' your seeing is actually a mountain (ie Olympus Mons style), and could potentially be the highest mountain in the kerbal system (now that would be some interesting terrain)

Its hard to tell though, but from that angle, shouldnt the area be completely in shadow if it were a crater? Seems to be picking up more light, meaning its being elevated upwards (with the light source behind/to the right of the picture relative to the planet)

One thing I\'d like to see is a little easter egg planet, hidden really far out of the way of the solar system (As in, further than Pluto is in our solar system), on a really inclined plane; It would be a little ball the size of Minmus with trees, grass, oceans, et cetera. Maybe somewhere on it would be a little colony filled with Kerbals.

Also, it would be a cool easter egg if one of the desert planets had a tiny hidden oasis somewhere on it.