TRAPPIST-1 now has seven planets. (Possible life?)

_Augustus_

NASA: We're going to release some information.

Media/Public: NASA IS GOING TO ANNOUNCE THEY FOUND ALIENS OR SOMETHING!!!

NASA: <Minor scientific detail that only really affects 0.001% of researchers, but does so in a fundamental way.>

Small Group of Researchers: YAY!  WOW!  This changes everything we're working on!

Media/Public: So, where's the aliens?  Why doesn't NASA ever say anything useful?

Edited by razark

red dwarf.... most output is in the IR... limited potential for photosynthesis, low luminosity for its mass: high chance of tidal locking....

A very interesting system, but I don't think there will be any alien civilization there.

Alien microbes? perhaps

Hi guys,

something to read.

http://www.nature.com/news/these-seven-alien-worlds-could-help-explain-how-planets-form-1.21512

Nope, no aliens :sticktongue: but could tell a little more about planet forming. Am still reading.

Edit: the paper: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v542/n7642/full/nature21360.html

'nother edit: oops, thanks for merging. I wasn't aware that it is already covered in here :-)

Edited by Green Baron

Just now, Veeltch said:

Since they are tidally locked the magnetospheres would be rather weak, wouldn't they? Unless resonance somehow keeps their cores active?

Orbiting that close? Probably. I don't have US2 on this laptop, so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure they're only separated by a few Earth-Moon distances at their closest approaches.

14 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Could the planets rotate from resonance effects? @ProtoJeb21 You might be the best person to answer this question.

If they had an orbital eccentricity above 0.05 or so there would be areas near the terminator that experienced nights and days.

I gave planet D an orbital eccentricity around 0.17 in SpaceEngine and waited for a nice lineup.

Here's a shot taken around a week from now of what the sky would look like assuming D has this orbital eccentricity. This is right at dawn around latitude 40.

NJuoAKF.jpg

All seven planets are in this shot, taken from the surface of D.

Edited by _Augustus_

2 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

If they had an orbital eccentricity above 0.05 or so there would be areas near the terminator that experienced nights and days.

I gave planet D an orbital eccentricity around 0.17 and waited for a nice lineup.

Here's a shot taken around a week from now of what the sky would look like assuming D has this orbital eccentricity. This is right at dawn around latitude 40.

That with Space engine? It looks amazing.

Also, you work fast, either that or planet editor is easier to use than I thought (I still haven't gotten SE :( )

Edited by Spaceception

Just now, Spaceception said:

That with Space engine? It looks amazing.

Also, you work fast, either that or planet editor is easier to use than I thought (I still haven't gotten SE :( )

SpaceEngine.

I started writing configs for the system the moment all orbital stats were available.

Edited by _Augustus_

Imagine intelligent life developing independently on multiple of them and roughly at the same pace. With other planets so prominent in the sky they could not help but wonder about the possibility about life there as well and sooner or later would come in contact, first radio, then physical.

Just now, Mitchz95 said:

Seven rocky planets, all roughly the same size, all within spitting distance of one another, and three of which are in the habitable zone?

Sounds like the kind of place where an interplanetary civilization would thrive. :)

I'm already thinking about a book series.

ALIENS!

46 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

Seven rocky planets, all roughly the same size, all within spitting distance of one another, and three of which are in the habitable zone?

45 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Imagine intelligent life developing independently on multiple of them and roughly at the same pace. With other planets so prominent in the sky they could not help but wonder about the possibility about life there as well and sooner or later would come in contact, first radio, then physical.

Question came up with a co-worker.  Based on how close these three planets are, at what technology level would they be able to determine:

A) The existence of life on one or both of the others;

and

B) The presence of an intelligent civilization on the others?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.