TRAPPIST-1 now has seven planets. (Possible life?)

_Augustus_

3 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

Have you read the full name?

Yes, but having the Trappist-1 thing first leads people to believe that the thread is oriented towards that discovery alone.

At any rate, I'm not going to get into an argument over a thread's name. :rolleyes:

Edited by TheEpicSquared

Here's a more accurate picture.

Due to the slight orbital eccentricity, areas near the terminator of TRAPPIST-1f experience periodic sunrises and sunsets thanks to libration. Here's a sunset view. I added a fictional ice giant, its moon, and a moon for TRAPPIST-1f.

FjuIsMe.jpg

Edited by _Augustus_

Given the small size of the star system, It's obvious that they all formed from a very small and dense protoplanetary disk. Meaning they should all have similar if not identical compositions. Meaning that from the start all of these planets could be nearly indistinguishable from one another. As time went by, Their distances from the star caused them to become more unique. With the ones in the habitable zone becoming much more temperate and the others being potentially capable of something similar.

Once life begins it gets real messy. Assume for example: Life started on Mars but migrated to Earth through panspermia. The TRAPPIST planets being significantly closer. Have a higher chance of sharing elements and lifeforms. This means that if life begins on one planet. It could be just a few million years before it has spread out into the entire solar system. Adapting to the climates of each planet. Meaning. That if we find so much as one planet with a bio-signature. Then chances are that they all have it.

17 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

TRAPPIST-1d may resemble a tidally locked, pre-hell Venus. It is also the planet with the smallest CONFIRMED mass. While Draugr has 0.02 Earth masses, that value is an estimate based on pulsar timing variations.

• TRAPPIST-1e could be covered in blue plant life! Any photosynthetic autotrophs on a planet orbiting such a dim star would be a deep, dark blue in color.
  • TRAPPIST-1f is the first confirmed example of a potentially habitable ocean world, with a density less than that of Mars. All other oceans worlds are either too hot or only thought to be ocean worlds.
  • TRAPPIST-1g may be an icy ocean planet, based on its density and temperature. However, its oceans will be much less deep than those of 1f.
  • TRAPPIST-1h is the smallest example of an ice planet. It may be like Hoth!

1d seems like the perfect planet you'd want to live, on, the gravity is lower than Earth's, and the temperature is likely tropical.

Blue plant life? That sounds super awesome!

Wait, are you serious? This planet is covered in an ocean?

That's what I was thinking too, although my thought was that it got so big because as the inner planets lost some of their water, 1g picked it up, and it gained a deep ocean.

That would be pretty cool.

Now when are we gonna set up shop? That's the perfect place to colonize, even if they don't have life, it's all so compact, and Terraforming could be an option.

18 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:
  • TRAPPIST-1e could be covered in blue plant life! Any photosynthetic autotrophs on a planet orbiting such a dim star would be a deep, dark blue in color.
  • TRAPPIST-1f is the first confirmed example of a potentially habitable ocean world, with a density less than that of Mars. All other oceans worlds are either too hot or only thought to be ocean worlds.
  • TRAPPIST-1g may be an icy ocean planet, based on its density and temperature. However, its oceans will be much less deep than those of 1f.

Earth, Laythe, and Vall! :D 

18 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:
  • TRAPPIST-1h is the smallest example of an ice planet. It may be like Hoth!

So if we send a probe there we're going to find a big generator and then an alien is going to take a laser blaster and blow up our probe? :) 

On 2/21/2017 at 1:11 AM, razark said:

NASA: We're going to release some information.

Media/Public: NASA IS GOING TO ANNOUNCE THEY FOUND ALIENS OR SOMETHING!!!

NASA: <Minor scientific detail that only really affects 0.001% of researchers, but does so in a fundamental way.>

Small Group of Researchers: YAY!  WOW!  This changes everything we're working on!

Media/Public: So, where's the aliens?  Why doesn't NASA ever say anything useful?

NASA: We found aliens

america: LET'S SHOOT EM UP

NASA: Shooting up aliens is not wise, for one.. they probably have technologies unthought of and far more advanced

america: LEt"S NUKE EM

nasa: ...

(As a southerner from the US, I can relate.) :P

I am wondering if one or some of you can quickly outline what those parameters mean when they are describing the physical properties, as found here?  I know some of them are obvious, but most I don't really know what they mean, like a couple posts up @Shpaget is getting excited about ESI and I would like to know why!  Also the units of some of the units of the measurements, I'm not familiar with them (high school physics and math was >25 years ago…).  Thanks in advance!

Right ascension

Declination

Constellation

Apparent magnitudes

Parallax

Distance

Mass

Radius

Density

Effective temperature

Luminosity

Metallicity 

Edited by justidutch

11 minutes ago, justidutch said:

like a couple posts up @Shpaget is getting excited about ESI and I would like to know why!

ESI is Earth Similarity Index, which is a rough measure of how similar a planet is to Earth. By definition, Earth has ESI of exactly 1.

I am just having a bit of fun.

3 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

ESI is Earth Similarity Index, which is a rough measure of how similar a planet is to Earth. By definition, Earth has ESI of exactly 1.

I am just having a bit of fun.

Hmmm, I wonder how they calculate ESI accurately.  Do they go there and count the number of lawyers and telephone-box repairmen?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.