Jump to content

Kerbol & Trappist-1


The_Rocketeer
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 2/22/2017 at 9:05 PM, hikoriyami said:

Alright, I will make these planets in Kopernicus if there is a desire to have them. Would we like them real scale or Kerbal scale? 

Real should suffice.  That system is dang tiny -- converting the orbital distances to light-seconds (any Elite: Dangerous players will be able to get a feel from these, I just multiplied the AU given on the wiki page by 500, but there's actually 499 per AU):

planet    semi-major axis in light-seconds

b           5.555    
c           7.61    
d           10.5 ± 3
e           14
f            18.5    
g            22.5    
h            31.5 +13 -6.5

Of significant note, Moho orbits at 17.5559 ls, and Kerbin at 45.364.  Real scale should do just fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

26 minutes ago, Archgeek said:

Real should suffice.  That system is dang tiny -- converting the orbital distances to light-seconds (any Elite: Dangerous players will be able to get a feel from these, I just multiplied the AU given on the wiki page by 500, but there's actually 499 per AU):

planet    semi-major axis in light-seconds

b           5.555    
c           7.61    
d           10.5 ± 3
e           14
f            18.5    
g            22.5    
h            31.5 +13 -6.5

Of significant note, Moho orbits at 17.5559 ls, and Kerbin at 45.364.  Real scale should do just fine.

Yeah, Im 90% done with the kerbal scale version. It is SUPER small i'm just fighting some issues with the PQS and I should be able to throw up a Beta version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hikoriyami said:

 

Yeah, Im 90% done with the kerbal scale version. It is SUPER small i'm just fighting some issues with the PQS and I should be able to throw up a Beta version.

I'd love a real scale version should you (or anyone, really) be interested in working on that. Experiencing the real scale and orbital mechanics in KSP would be the closest I'd ever get to seeing the TRAPPIST-1 system with my own eyes.

And I'm okay with a less-than-realistic appearance of the planets as long as the mechanics are accurate. I think liberties for the sake of fun should be encouraged when there's a lack of information as to the exact look and composition of the planets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Archgeek said:

.... Real scale should do just fine.

Yeah, if you shrunk your TRAPPIST-1 system to KSP scale the planets would almost smack each other, or at least make launches really interesting. Would make the JOOL system look big......almost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Yeah, if you shrunk your TRAPPIST-1 system to KSP scale the planets would almost smack each other, or at least make launches really interesting. Would make the JOOL system look big......almost.

Yup, it's a goodly chunk bigger than the Jool system, but not 10x the size.  Conveniently, there's about 300 Mm in a light-second, and Pol's apoapsis is only 210.624207 of 'em, less than the semi-major axis of Trappist-1 b, which orbits at 5.555 ls or 1666.5 Mm, but more than a 10th of it.  Bop's orbit would still be just inside a 1/10th-scale Trappist-1 b's, though.

Numbers are weird enough that these three conversions are pretty good for thinking about scale:

500 ls/AU (seriously, almost exactly 499)
150 Gm/AU (almost exactly 149.6, what)
300 Mm/ls (almost exactly 299.7996, this is getting out of hand)

Amusingly, this means the 12 Mm distance to the Mun would result in a nearly imperceptible .04s signal delay with Mission Control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

JXvMIK0.png

I've been working on a TRAPPIST-1 mod as well since the 26th. All custom heightmaps with partly procedural terrain.

Here's SLIPPIST-1, the star:

5dQjw9M.png

Here's planet B

8BMD18k.png

Here's planet D

hfWdK20.png

Here's planet G

391n5BH.png

The rest of the planets are in the mod, but I don't want to clutter up the thread.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
On ‎27‎-‎2‎-‎2017 at 2:20 AM, ProtoJeb21 said:

Almost finished...

IVf9Wt7.png

http://imgur.com/gallery/WYz3o

The planets are made using custom SE heightmaps, many tweaked with GIMP, and colored by KittopiaTech. I hope to have it finished within the next few days.

lmao, at the last picture you can see another planet...

 

I didn't noticed yet and tried to wipe it off. Yeah.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...