The Arrowhead VTOL

My first actual contribution to the forum, wa-hey!

So, I heard you wanted a rather attractive, easy to fly and stable VTOL-style craft to mess around with? Oh. You didn't? You're getting one anyway! The Arrowhead.

screenshot5ta.png

screenshot13i.png

screenshot12jp.png

screenshot14p.png

screenshot9d.png

Starting as a little project to create a 'bodied craft' of sorts one afternoon, I got the idea to attempt to create a working VTOL craft (After every single previous attempt had failed) and that idea blossomed. I was still looking for a name for the craft when I'd finished, and I looked from an aerial view and knew it was destined to be The Arrowhead.

It's pretty dang fast and glides EXTREMELY well (Probably due to so many wings) along with being very easy to control during takeoff AND flight.

Included with just The Arrowhead is an experimental version that has more powerful thrusters and manual control over the angle of each.

The controls for the standard jet are 9/0 to raise and lower the jets,

For the experimental version, 9/o to control the left jet and 0/p to control the right.

Takeoff is a little strange, i've found if you try and do a direct vertical takeoff, you flip backwards, so angle the thrusters a little bit before taking off and be sure to use full thrust. :P

Bundled with the jet is a custom fuel tank I created that has a LOT of fuel in it, sorry for the unrealism, this is meant for aesthetics, not practicality.

That should just about do it, happy flying!

Oh, probably should've mentioned, you need Damned Aerospace/Damned Robotics for this too. That's it.

Gah, and I forgot the download link too!

(Mediafire, just in case.) http://www./?92f61pjh6cxj4le

Edited by DrewTheAwesome

Great job i teted it and the take-off is a bit...well... hard crashed the first time... after that it fley great, i would recomendt using the aroe spike and add landing gear, but othewise it was AMAZING!!!, plese make more vareations and keep experamenting.

Great job i teted it and the take-off is a bit...well... hard crashed the first time... after that it fley great, i would recomendt using the aroe spike and add landing gear, but othewise it was AMAZING!!!, plese make more vareations and keep experamenting.

The idea is that it's a kerbinbound craft, an aircraft not a spacecraft. The air-breathing engines provide the perfect amount of thrust so that it's not overpowered and rediculous, or underpowered and too weak to fly. The thing flies exceptionally well anyway, with even the lowest of thrusts.

I'd done a few experiments working with landing gear, all of which ended in failure. The craft glides too well to be landed vertically, and instead just drops straight down if there's no thrust, and just travels forwards if there is thrust. Horizontal/wheel based landing gear would be too impractical (And would defeat the objective of it being a VTOL) so right now, i can't develop any landing system.

Thank you for testing, and I apologise about the iffy takeoff. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.