What seemingly basic thing have you never done in KSP

Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Never explored Kerbin other than within a short distance of KSC.  This one bugs me the most because I really wanted to, but I couldn't figure out spaceplanes early enough.

Never landed on Ike, nor Eve, nor anywhere outside Kerbin other than Duna.

Never did a "redirect asteroid away from collision with Kerbin" contract, which is maybe not too basic but seems to come up a lot here.  I didn't even get offered one until 4 years in.  (Have done other asteroid stuff though.)

Never expanded a ground base.  Went to a whole lot of trouble to design and land an expandable Minmus base (with stock parts BTW), then never bothered to add to it.

I've sent my Kerbals to nearly every planet and moon... yet the only one I've felt motivated to return from is Mun (and Minmus, I suppose)

I justify this by imagining all my ships are self-sustaining, and the first Kerbals out there are just the first wave of colonists in preparation for full-scale colonization.

TL;DR version - Never brought Kerbals back home from further than Minmus.

Edited by Slam_Jones

I've only been playing for a couple months -- so far, I haven't yet landed anywhere beyond Minmus, and only made a single Duna flyby (in sandbox, yet, though that was direct launch -- one booster, nothing assembled or refueled in orbit, and without a helpful assist from Duna's gravity well, that vessel would never have come home).  Come to that, I've never found the controls to transfer either crew or resources, hence never refueled a vessel in flight.  Never used a significant mod, either -- the only one I've installed so far is Better Burn time, which is nice but, for orbital maneuver's, not really essential (I expect it'll look a lot better the first time I need to get down to Mun on a too-small fuel tank and need a near-suicide burn to make it).  Lots more stuff to look forward to -- building and flying spaceplanes and other SSTO vessels, assembling ships in orbit for missions bigger than one Kerbal to fly by Duna, ISRU refueling, nuclear and ion engines.  Most of the game is still ahead of me.  :0.0:

I've been playing since 0.23.

I've never:

*Sent kerbals to Jool and its moons, Dres, and Eve's surface

*Never got close to Moho and Eeloo

*Never got close to making a SSTO

Yes. I'm in a NASA-like situation right now (or maybe for the past versions). All the work I do is within Kerbin's SOI.

Also, I have a thing regarding crewed interplanetary missions. Cramming a kerbal into a capsule just doesn't feel right to me, so I tend to make "spacious" habitats, which in turn increase weight, and then there's massive fuel tanks to propel them there, and then the even more massive booster that won't be able to be launched because you're stuck with level 2 buildings since for some reason you've decided to set the career difficulty to Hard and it's expensive as heck to upgrade.

you know you're going to be a good aerospace engineer when you're having trouble making spacecraft in KSP

I, um....

I've been to Moho with a huge mothership.

Sent stuff into the sun and out of the sun.

I've built a small station out of an asteroid.

Retuned from Eve.

Bases on Mun/Min.

Duna base.

Ike landers.

Jool-Sarnus 10.

Jool expedition 1 with Vall station, Laythe SSTO, laythe plane, and lots of good stuff

Not so dumb stuff: I've never been to the stock Eeloo, just the OPM Eeloo. Nor the stock Vall with crew (But I did do it with OPM installed, it hasn't changed).

Simple-ish stuff I haven't done: a space station around Eve. Or Duna, for that matter.

Pointless stuff I have done: Built roller coasters. Built space warships. And I am currently in the process of building a Mun base while only using SRB's. No LFO, no Monoprop. No Xenon. So far I've got to parts landed within 500m of each other! Not bad for solids!

I've never done a crewed mission to Eve because I can't do a return mission. Well, I probably could do a return mission because I know its possible, but I just can't be bothered now because it doesn't seem like fun.

I've never orbited nor landed on Moho with any sort of vehicle. A flyby was all I could manage.

My only trip to Eeloo ended up with crashing into Eeloo. Fortunately no Kerbals were on board. Fun times.

Never played the Outer Planets mod but probably should at some point. The Galileo planets mod is really cool though and I'm definitely enjoying it.

I can't recall a time I've ever gone further than Duna, manned or unmanned. I attempted a manned landing/return Duna trip, but my lander experienced a Rapid Unplanned Disassembly on the surface of Duna, and that was the last time I sent a Kerbal to it's iron infused soils. My last major attempt was an actual station comprised of a science lab, hab module, life support module, and tug module. My 4 nuke engines couldn't propel the station and I lost motivation after the heartbreak it produced. The only two planets outside of Kerbin I've been to are Eve and Duna. 

On 23/02/2017 at 0:57 PM, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

I've never sent Kerbals to an asteroid, but I have sent asteroids to Kerbals. Does that count?

(All of my asteroid-redirecting craft have been unmanned, but those craft often redirect asteroids to manned space stations where they can be mined.)

For a moment I interpreted "I have sent asteroids to Kerbals." as meaning in the fiery, high velocity, bringer of doom kinda way.

Design vehicles with struts (or autostruts)

The closest I got was adding some KAS strut points in-situ to stiffen an ore->docking port->docking port->battery stack combo that was making my munar shuttle into a bobblehead miner, but it wasn't worth the EVA in the end.

A 30 degree kink in the rocket stack at 30km up is a piloting challenge followed by a design review, not a revert-and-add-struts moment.  (Executive summary; LV-N is no longer allowed as a joint between rockomax+ sized stages despite the success of the mission)

Edit:

Until today.

Add Moar Struts achieved:  South pole Radio Tower for contact with Mun

KSP_RadioTowerMk1.png

Edited by suicidejunkie
Added struts

I hadn't thought about it until I saw this thread, but, I have never been to Gilly.   I haven't landed, orbited, or even flown by.   I've had enough probes in orbit of Eve I certainly could have, but I just keep forgetting.   I mean Gilly is just so... small, its an easy place to forget. :blush:

I've never used the MPL to cook science. Though it's more a point of pride than because I can't, I should also note that I actually can't. I'd have to look it up or fiddle with right clicking things in the game to figure it out.

I've never gotten to orbit (though I have gotten to space, briefly) in a plane.

I think though that every single thing mentioned so far in this thread, I've done, except the spaceplane orbiting of course :D

Edited by 5thHorseman

I have never returned from Duna (or had a successful landing) and have never been to any planets beyond Duna. And have only sent probes to the inner planets. 

Oh and have never made a working SSTO or space plane of any type. 

Edited by SickSix

The only moon of Jool I've ever landed on has been Laythe.

I've never built a submarine to go to the sea floor of Kerbin. Although, I'm sure several pieces of former craft have ended up there unintentionally.

I realized what I haven't yet done that might still be considered simple: I've never successfully completed a Jool 5 mission. I've been to all of Jool's moons, both with and without kerbals, but not all in the same mission with a single mothership under the restrictions of the official challenge. The last time I tried it was going well but then the save broke for some reason.

Edited by eloquentJane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.