What seemingly basic thing have you never done in KSP

Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Is there any task in KSP that you've never accomplished despite it being relatively simple to do? Myself, I've never done a return mission to Minmus. My first ship there had the objectives to deploy a relay satellite to high orbit, land on the surface, collect science data and return to Kerbin. However, after taking off from Minmus and achieving orbit I found that I didn't have enough fuel left to make it back*. I had sent the first module of a space station to Minmus shortly after I launched that landing flight, though, and since it took a while for the landing flight to circularize in high orbit to drop off the relay the station ended up arriving at just about the same time the lander was ready to take off from Minmus, so I just had it stick around and top off from the station transports' leftover fuel until it was finally ready to return home. After I got that station into place my next step was to land a mining base on the surface, and since then every ship I sent to that body has re-fueled before coming home; I've never had a vessel make the journey both ways independently.

*Or at least I thought I didn't; I didn't know what kind of re-entry effects ships in KSP could handle back then so my plan was to re-circularize in LKO before entering the atmosphere, which ate up a huge amount of fuel. These days I'd probably either aerobrake to lower my AP or just put my PE low enough to re-enter immediately, but I didn't know that I could survive that back then.

Until quite recently I don't think I'd sent kerbals to an asteroid. Although I've done it now, and I'm not sure it's considered basic.

Actually I think I've covered most of the "basics" of the game by this point, I'm not sure if there's anything particularly simple left for me. Not that I've done everything, just that I'm fairly sure I've done all the things that would be considered trivial (Mun landings, space station building, interplanetary missions, etc).

After playing on and off for about three years, I've still never sent a manned mission anywhere other than Duna. (That is, if you ignore the one time I messed around with KSPI in sandbox a couple years ago.) I'm sure I can, but I usually play career mode with a life support mod, (and now with USI's new habitation mechanic,) so my interplanetary ships have to be pretty big. By the time I get enough infrastructure set up for a long mission, I'm usually kind of burned out on KSP, then I wind up starting a new career when the next version comes out.

ETA: That probably should have said "Anywhere outside the Kerbin system other than Duna." The Mun and Minmus are not exactly that difficult.

Edited by Blue_J

I've never visited an asteroid in career mode.  The two times I've captured an asteroid were both for "land an asteroid" challenges.

Also, I've never used ISRU outside Kerbin SOI.  I do have an SSTA mission going on though, which will soon land and mine at Jool's moons.

I haven't visited Moho, Jool, and I don't think I managed Eeloo yet. I end up messing around with planes too much for longer missions. I know I've landed on Duna a few times, Eve once, and I flew by Dres.

I've never gone to Eelo.  Launched missions,  but always changed careers before getting there. 

Never tried grabbing all the obscure biomes on Kerbin, like the Badlands.

Never really tried an ISS-style modular space station.   Prefabricated stations seem to get the job done. 

I never built a crewed stationary bases.

All crew activities outside Kerbin are either lander or rover.

I have IRSU landers here and there, but they are not considered as bases.

Only vessels designated as Base are RT relay station with huge rotating dish I dragged by helicopter to the top of the mountain and few small relay stations. Small stations were supposed to provide close range comms for landing planes and shuttles, but they silently died out in my space program.

50 minutes ago, max_creative said:

When I have made it to the moon without cheats the crew usually didn't come back... I always break the landing gear and/or engines and/or fuel tanks... :( 

I ran out of fuel before even getting there XD

Mined an asteroid, nor towed one onto Kerbin/homeworld orbit from deep space.

Though I did once have one that captured itself via a Mun assist, which I trimmed down to a lower altitude. Was back before mining though, so it was really just for the grins.

34 minutes ago, regex said:

I have never landed on Laythe or Tylo.

Tylo was actually easier than I imagined - as long as you have the dv for the job - it only took I think 3 tries to get the hang of it. Afterwards I could land within a few meters of the same spot each time. Laythe is a different story. It hates me, which is fine because there is nothing to be found on Laythe but water, sand dunes, and wrecked dreams.

2 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

Tylo was actually easier than I imagined - as long as you have the dv for the job - it only took I think 3 tries to get the hang of it. Afterwards I could land within a few meters of the same spot each time. Laythe is a different story. It hates me, which is fine because there is nothing to be found on Laythe but water, sand dunes, and wrecked dreams.

It's not that I don't think I can do them; I can launch pretty much anything I want in stock/vanilla. It's just I never really cared to. I pretty much ... loathe Laythe because of all the smug speisplain stuff in the early access days and just never got around to Tylo. I've done Eve under the old atmosphere, I'm gearing up to do it under the new one soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.