this is a challenge to see how many probes you can get into kerbin orbit in one launch.

rules:

1. the probes can be intended for what ever you want.

2. ONLY ONE LAUNCH, that's the point of this challenge.

3. the probes all have to be on one craft at some point.

4.it has to be one vessel getting into orbit, then the satellites will be released for it to count.

5.it can't be just a big launch station on the ground. look to rule 4.

6. it has to be at least a 200 km orbit.

7. you have to prove that you did it, preferably a video of the launch but pictures are fine as well.

8. proof that you didn't cheat. no infinite fuel or anything.

9. the probes have to be self sustaining. you can't just launch a load of small probe cores and call it good.

10. each probe must have: the ability to gain and store power, an antenna (not just a built in one), the ability to orient itself with some sort of reaction wheel (built-in or not) and the ability to control it.

when you make an entry there will be two categories: modded and UN-modded. if you have any modified parts on the craft its considered modded. there will be two running scores, each for the categories. if you have a question just ask. even more so when it comes to rules.

lag has besieged my attempts.

good luck.

p.s. how do you post pictures?

the modded winner so far is: TheEpicSquared at 16 satellites.

the UN-modded winner so far is: doctor davinci at 225 satellites.

my record: 240 Un-modded

Edited by rockets-don't-make-toast

This challenge is rather pointless but i have ideas in my head about exlosive-mass-deployment (maybe the kraken helps out) and a big cloud of probes slowly spreading to a ring around kerbin. Then do the same thing in a retro-orbit at the same Altitude and see what happens.

ther's a big potential for fun here.

Well, this is going to get beaten VERY easily, since it's just 16 satellites, but here you go (this is for my Through Hardships to the Stars mission report, btw)

Spoiler

The satellite, CubeComm:wQvZI0r.png

It has an antenna, power generation & storing capabilities, can be controlled, and has a reaction wheel inside the solar panels.

16 of these fit snugly into the fairing of the Cormorant A-0 rocket (technically, I could lift like 500 of these, but it would be unplayably laggy):sSuvtrY.png

HOqLtb4.png

The Cormorant A-0 with its payload:Q2lbhCt.png

Launch site is the Zebedee Polar Launch Facility (a glitch meant that the rocket is tilted south on launch):T21bMJS.png

Liftoff:9hHHlwP.png

Flight is nominal:J1bcSKH.png

The Mun and Kerbol can both be seen in this picture (which may become my desktop background):Z5E9SjC.png

Stage separation:uUIo1Qo.png

Apoapsis established:XKu2Htu.png

Fairings separated:dOnd3Ip.png

Orbital insertion burn:lT6pN05.png

Orbit achived:eQQVEMw.png

First satellite separated:dpDyxqD.png

Another one:bVrdRlb.png

All sats have been deployed and are in their target orbits:9t7d0bk.png

Deorbit burn:bDFMZ7R.png

Hot hot hot:s7E338G.png

Boom boom:TfAoObf.png

zaOFpof.png

There you go, modded (the sats were tweakscaled down) entry with 16 satellites, intended for communication.

:) 

Seems to me I could easily get several hundred stock pico-sats to orbit in one launch... if my computer could handle multi-thousand part ships.  Waiting patiently to see someone launch and pop a giant ear of corn...  That's how I picture mine working anyway, just a fairing with tiers on tiers of a probe core with one solar panel and a separator.  The built-in antenna is probably enough to maintain control with upgraded buildings.

The Booster lifted a 200ton transfer stage to LKO

-   The transfer stage hauled the Main Relay to Kerbol escape

-   The Main Relay pushed its Clusterships to escape our local cluster

-   The 8 Clusterships sped still faster and diverged.

-   And the 48 probes scattered to the wind!

Who knows what they'll find? (Hint, it's Krakens)

ezgif_com_optimize_9.gif

Edited by Cunjo Carl

6 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

The Booster lifted a 200ton transfer stage to LKO

-   The transfer stage hauled the Main Relay to Kerbol escape

-   The Main Relay pushed its Clusterships to escape our local cluster

-   The Clusterships sped still faster and diverged.

-   And the 48 probes scattered to the wind!

Who knows what they'll find? (Hint, it's Krakens)

ezgif_com_optimize_9.gif

modded or UN-modded?

1 hour ago, rockets-don't-make-toast said:

modded or UN-modded?

Oh, right! Unmodded. For most people, the limiter will be number of parts, so I should mention this was 800ish. The probes had 14 parts each with 1 copy of each (5) rerunnable experiment, an antenna, an RTG, a tiny core, a tiny reaction wheel, a tiny inline battery, a full Oscar-B, 2 spiders and a decoupler. Having them in this branching 'cluster ship' setup seemed to help lag, as does keeping them all in a fairing at launch. It still lagged like crazy of course, but I put absolutely silly amounts of RCS on the launcher to help it keep on its gravity turn, so it mostly just ran in the background for 20-30 minutes.

The branching setup would explode due to wiggly structural krakens at >3.5g, so I guess some krakens hitched a ride. Perhaps we're unwittingly seeding them into the Cosmos! Anyways, thanks for the challenge, @rockets-don't-make-toast.

Edited by Cunjo Carl

I did an un-modded one.

Spoiler

OfG9kh7.png

The one main probe holds 56 other probes, so there's 57 in all.

h5w6KLF.png

The launcher

rJOQOlB.png

Launch

SvQGn2b.png

uxQdE2z.png

DXMAkaH.png

0SBBynj.png

Probably should've left the fairings on, the circularization was really wobbly.

qkxlZfk.png

In orbit

V08QzxC.png

Payload separation

eDSZ5Di.png

You can't really see it, but it's in a spin

2lDWRrP.png

Probe separation

rB7sSgI.png

Bye bye

zPVLaZQ.png

2AUzaRe.png

eCJFVo0.png

Looks like something out of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Well that was my submission!

my record (which won't count towards the leaderboard) is 240 sustaining relay satellites. 

http://imgur.com/a/ap5GW

as you can see. i launched and it was laggy. i had to set all the video settings to as low as possible and at some point i was trying to reorient my spacecraft to get it into the prograde position but if i didn't time warp fast enough it would jiggle itself from the booster stage and i couldn't get it about the minimun periapse highth. but i did it and it was awesome:) i will do it again and record it so i can post it to youtube once i get a recording software.

I now present for your approval the Polkaroo 225 with a payload of 225 relay satellites, each with a full tank of xenon and fully controllable

I lost a few engines on the way up and then tried to hit the KSC when de-orbiting the mother ship ... was fun :)

Here's the save file from the end of the video with all the satellites in orbit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tohn1efs5q79gsp/Polkaroo 225.sfs?dl=0

Here's the video:

@DoctorDavinci The combination of orchestral 'anchors away' and those magnificently strutted orange tanks gave me an oddly patriotic feel. Your computer must be an absolute beast to launch this at only yellow lag. And super close aim on the deorbit, I always call that sort of landing 'coral reef seeding'!

On 2/24/2017 at 0:57 PM, HalcyonSon said:

Seems to me I could easily get several hundred stock pico-sats to orbit in one launch... if my computer could handle multi-thousand part ships.  Waiting patiently to see someone launch and pop a giant ear of corn...  That's how I picture mine working anyway, just a fairing with tiers on tiers of a probe core with one solar panel and a separator.  The built-in antenna is probably enough to maintain control with upgraded buildings.

it has to be an external antenna.

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I now present for your approval the Polkaroo 225 with a payload of 225 relay satellites, each with a full tank of xenon and fully controllable

I lost a few engines on the way up and then tried to hit the KSC when de-orbiting the mother ship ... was fun :)

Here's the save file from the end of the video with all the satellites in orbit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tohn1efs5q79gsp/Polkaroo 225.sfs?dl=0

Here's the video:

it seems to me like you're giving me a run for my money. I launched 240 probes but they where only a hecto core, a nuclear generator and a small relay dish. look at my submission to see how I did it. you did it A LOT better then me so good job :)

22 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Your computer must be an absolute beast to launch this at only yellow lag.

Not really a beast ... A8-6500 running at 3.9 with 12 gigs ram ... graphics settings are set low with no AA or v-sync and I'm using the onboard HD graphics

On win-doh's 8.1 ... 10 runs it much better on the same machine although I don't like having to do a song and dance after each update to disable W10's built in spyware and tracking junk

Waiting for Ryzen to graduate from the kiddies table ... few months from now I'll have that beast of a machine you speak of :wink:

47 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Not really a beast ... A8-6500 running at 3.9 with 12 gigs ram ... graphics settings are set low with no AA or v-sync and I'm using the onboard HD graphics

On win-doh's 8.1 ... 10 runs it much better on the same machine although I don't like having to do a song and dance after each update to disable W10's built in spyware and tracking junk

Waiting for Ryzen to graduate from the kiddies table ... few months from now I'll have that beast of a machine you speak of :wink:

Wow, I guess it was just KSP 1.2 strutting its stuff then. Shortly after posting that I noticed my laptop was only yellow lagging through some pretty insane launches as well. Glad you have an upgrade to look forward to. The latest fabrication node has been a long time coming!

13 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Wow, I guess it was just KSP 1.2 strutting its stuff then. Shortly after posting that I noticed my laptop was only yellow lagging through some pretty insane launches as well. Glad you have an upgrade to look forward to. The latest fabrication node has been a long time coming!

Actually I found severely improved performance on my rig between 1.0.5 and 1.2 ... I was capped at around 2200 parts in 1.0.5 as compared to now being able to launch well over 3500 (obviously at low frame rates but it doesn't crash :))

Edited by DoctorDavinci

On 3/5/2017 at 9:45 AM, rockets-don't-make-toast said:

apparently this is my most successful challenge.

no offense, but possibly because its the only one that follows the challenge submission guide. challenges like this, people like.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.