HUNGRY ASTEROID ATE MY SHIP... My ship attached to an Asteroid is now half inside the asteroid

Hey guys,

So... I captured my first asteroid using the grabber and I pushed it into a Kerbin orbit... I left it on it's journey to Kerbin with an alarm set and went off to other missions... I went to check on it days later and now the front half of the ship is inside the asteroid!

If I release the grabbers then the whole ship blows up, If I EVA a Kerbal I can fly them around inside the asteroid but they can't get out of it, nor can they get back into cockpit. I reloaded save file so the are back in cockpit now... I've never lost a Kerbal and I'll be damned if I'm gonna lose one now! lol... Is there a way to edit the save file so the vessel is back attached to the outside surface of the asteroid, or floating near it?... pics below showing attachment and heading back to Kerbin, and pics showing what I found days later when I checked up on it...(The last pic is simply moving the camera inside the asteroid allowing me to see the front of ship and I could EVA a kerbal and fly him around within his prison of space rock and metal :)

screenshot22.png

screenshot23.png

screenshot37.png

screenshot38.png

• 5 months later...

I'm stuck also... -_- I've tried cheats (Alt+F12) to make parts "unbreaking" but it still explodes when I release the claw! A5pVONi.pngThe only way I see fixing our ships is to edit the save files... Moving the Eatting-Asteroid in the save should be all we need to do? I've never edited a mid flight ship via save before~

Could an old save of the ship (if it was in the right position) be used to replace just the bad ship's save?

Edited by Dragonoid
extra media

Alright, if anyone wants to edit there save file to move the Asteroid the correct amount of away they need I have found out how:

Scott Manley's video helps explain the basics of how to edit saves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wXVm3M2I2w

1. Record the amount of mass the Asteroid you want to move has, mine has 97.97623t (you only need the first 5 numbers aka: 97.976) this is so you can find the right part to edit later.

2. find your save file and open it in notepad. the file can be found at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves\(career_name)\quicksave.sfs 

3. press Ctrl+f and search the mass you recorded earlier, you should see a part listed as "name = PotatoRoid, position = -0.033608634024858475,12.991914749145508,0.046582106500864029" etc. This is the part you want to fix.

4. Edit the position, rotation etc. to move the Asteroid away from the ship (it will still be a "part" of the ship, but it will no longer be clipping if moved far enough away) I just added 20 to the numbers: position = 20.033608634024858475,12.99...

5. you should be able to disconnect the claw, or play with the position numbers to fine tune it's position.

Good to the small amount of people who might chance ujpon this glitch. :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.