KSP Weekly: The discovery of the Kerbol... I mean TRAPPIST-1 system

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_olwka5Nwva1rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly, everyone! On Wednesday we were all surprised by the reveal of  the largest batch of Earth-size, habitable-zone planets around a single star by NASA’s scientists. We’re talking of course about the TRAPPIST-1 system, which not only has an interesting resemblance to the Kerbol system, but three of its planets are firmly located in the habitable zone of this ultra-cool dwarf star and most likely could have liquid water on them. The key ingredient to life as we know it! This system of planets is relatively close to us at around 40 light-years from Earth in the constellation Aquarius. Although we won’t see a mission to the TRAPPIST-1 system during our lifetime, this discovery will move forward our understanding of Earth-size exoplanets in the universe and the likelihood of life outside the solar system. So hyped, but we’re here to talk about everything Kerbal, so let’s begin.

The QA team have been testing tutorials, working hand in hand with the art department to check KSPedia and overall making progress on the localization. At last the big picture is coming into focus. Additionally, the terrain fix is coming along nicely, but not quite there yet, it’s good to have the thorough eye of QA to check up these kind of things. Behind the scenes, our bug tracker software has received some upgrade love. There’s just a few visible differences that you may notice when reporting bugs, but more importantly it brings it up to date and will allow us to use it in more efficient ways in the future.

As expected, the programming front has also been busy with localization, looking at strings, reading strings, finding strings, refactoring variables. Similarly, the team has been making changes to the KSP code to support localization of Biomes, Science, Vessel situations and CelestialBodies Names. The Lingoona grammar engine has also been documented by some of the devs: good practices, pitfalls and and how it’s been applied across KSP source code.

And of course, there’s been some bug fixing, including  the seam issue on the KSC’s Runway, which is being tested by our QA volunteers as you read this just to make sure that it all works properly.  In fact, JPLRepo wrote a Developer Article called Who needs a level runway anyway?  Which talks about about the whole process, so if you haven’t, we recommend you to give it a look, it is very informative and interesting.

The artist have been busy, too. Paul Amsterdam, for example has been fixing KSPedia layout issues and is working on some video tutorials for the localization update.

Furthermore, the team has been working on some illustrations for something you’re gonna see rather soon (if you haven’t, yet). We all love the era aesthetics and the team is certainly having a good time doing these.

Finally we just want to let you know that we will make an important announcement in the forum next Thursday, March 2nd at 16:00 EST. So stay tuned!

PfTLKi0qDGTvfgXwWY481jTTzmujRzrtW5ZqoWUX

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news!

Happy launchings!

I can hear the rumbling of the hype engine powering up for March 2nd. I shall be waiting with bated breath, even though I'm not sure exactly what that means. 

Cool magazine cover. I'm sure "Mite" refers to their compact size, but I like to think that it means he "Mite" make orbit, make it back alive, etc. 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

53 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

Furthermore, the team has been working on some illustrations for something you’re gonna see rather soon (if you haven’t, yet).

53 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

Finally we just want to let you know that we will make an important announcement in the forum next Thursday, March 2nd at 16:00 EST.

Is either (or both) of these related to that super-secret thing y'all have been hyping, or is this some other secret hype-building operation?

3 minutes ago, stibbons said:

I am concerned about Yuri Kerman's re-entry attitude. 

Attitude?  I imagine his attitude is quite angry, since they didn't put a parachute on that capsule!

Edited by razark

47 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I'll be announcing whether or not I'm exciting about this on March 1st.  Stay tuned!

That's good, because I am here to announce that I will announce the date of my exciting announcement on Feb 27. Just to be sure the dates do not collide.

1 hour ago, razark said:

Is either (or both) of these related to that super-secret thing y'all have been hyping, or is this some other secret hype-building operation?

Possibly one or both.

1 minute ago, Majorjim! said:

Important announcement?

That wording is ominous.. 

Ye of little faith.

Hmm. Important announcement? This sounds like... If I dare say it...

Spoiler

Haha. I don't want to jinx it...  :sealed: But read on below...

Spoiler

But if you really want to see what I think... Open the next spoiler...

Spoiler

KSP 1.3 Release Date!!! :wink:

Glad to hear about the terrain patches anyway :0.0:

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Thursday, March 2nd at 16:00 EST.

Ooooo! A date! That's what I'm talking about! I'm sure the community as a whole is excited for the super-secret-project-that-was-originally-going-to-be-announced-six-months-ago. Better late than never I suppose.

On the flip side, whatever happened to SQUAD's policy of soontm? I thought there was a taboo at HQ about dates.

Now that I think about it, they never said what the subject of the announcement would be.

Edited by CoreI
Corrected assumption.

6 hours ago, SQUAD said:

On Wednesday we were all surprised by the reveal of  the largest batch of Earth-size, habitable-zone planets around a single star by NASA’s scientists. We’re talking of course about the TRAPPIST-1 system, which not only has an interesting resemblance to the Kerbol system, but three of its planets are firmly located in the habitable zone of this ultra-cool dwarf star and most likely could have liquid water on them.

That's a wonderful discovery!

I wonder what kind of environment those planets have. Well then, I'd like to go there to see it soon and provide the crew report and surface samples to everyone.

40 light-years from Earth...If I depart for there now, I am worried that whether I will be able to back in time of Thursday's announcement.

Edited by EBOSHI

19 minutes ago, EBOSHI said:

That's a wonderful discovery!

I wonder what kind of environment those planets have. Well then, I'd like to go there to see it soon and provide the crew report and surface samples to everyone.

40 light-years from Earth...If I depart for there now, I am worried that whether I will be able to back in time of Thursday's announcement.

I guess it'll be soon before another wonderful guy gets us a mod about this

4 hours ago, CoreI said:

Now that I think about it, they never said what the subject of the announcement would be.

I reckon it's console release for 1.2 and EU PS4 release. They have been hinting at it on facebook for a couple of weeks, and have a sale on at the moment.

d0qQ2Da.png

Cool, can't wait for the announcement on the 2nd.

8 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Furthermore, the team has been working on some illustrations for something you’re gonna see rather soon (if you haven’t, yet). We all love the era aesthetics and the team is certainly having a good time doing these.

I'm wondering what this is, as it seems to be totally different from the upcoming announcement.

Just a little precision:

by NASA’s scientists.

Those scientists are from Liège, Belgium working for the university of Liège in the astrophysics department. They operate a telescope from Chile. The Spitzer telescope only confirmed the existence of the planetary system.

From the TRAPPIST team website:

TRAPPIST (TRAnsiting Planets and PlanetesImals Small Telescope) is a project driven by the Origins in Cosmology and Astrophysics group (OrCA) at the Department of Astrophysics, Geophysics and Oceanography (AGO) of the University of Liège (Belgium). Mostly funded by the Belgian Fund for Scientific Research

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.