KSP Weekly: The discovery of the Kerbol... I mean TRAPPIST-1 system

SQUAD

5 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Again, this isn't really precise @Green Baron. Squad said that the reveal was by NASA's scientists, not the discovery. Strictly speaking, NASA's press release probably did constitute the largest single source of media exposure for the discovery - more people learned about this by watching the news coverage of NASA's announcement than by reading Nature.

I also expect that NASA scientists were probably operating the Spitzer telescope and retrieving the data even if they can't claim credit for the analysis. Granted this is conjecture, but it seems likely to me.

Nope, you should really read the paper. Spitzer was only used at the end of the campaign for 20 days verification. Data collection and evaluation was done in 2015 and through 2016 with telescopes on La Silla, the VLT, on the Roque de Muchachos and in South Africa. Reveal was not by NASA but by the team around M. Gillon. Data source is huge, the Spitzer part only a subset.

Maybe NASA shouted louder (which is their right because they get their money from the public) but that does not change the fact that the scientific work was done by others and it is customary and civilized to cite and mention that correctly.

I don't insinuate any bad faith but it would be polite if  @SQUAD would get that right.

Sorry ...

Edited by Green Baron

12 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

I'm fascinated by the poster...

Ok, since no one else is asking the question, I'm going to have to. I've seen several mentions in this thread now about a 'cover', an 'image', and now a 'poster'... what are y'all talking about??

The OP has no image included, nor any link to an image. Or is this darned forum playing tricks on me again?

What cover/poster/image is being discussed here??

11 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Ok, since no one else is asking the question, I'm going to have to. I've seen several mentions in this thread now about a 'cover', an 'image', and now a 'poster'... what are y'all talking about??

The OP has no image included, nor any link to an image. Or is this darned forum playing tricks on me again?

What cover/poster/image is being discussed here??

tumblr_inline_olwkwvlsWl1rr2wit_540.jpg

Posting it again, but if you can't see it in the first post, I'm not sure you'll be able to here. Direct link

On 25/02/2017 at 0:01 AM, SQUAD said:

Although we won’t see a mission to the TRAPPIST-1 system during our lifetime.....

but perhaps we might see a KSP mission to it?? :wink: (honestly, even if a second solar system was added by having some sort of magic portal and a long load time between systems I'd be happy with that).

Sounds like great work on the dev side.  curious about the March-2nd thing.....

1 hour ago, Jarin said:

Posting it again, but if you can't see it in the first post, I'm not sure you'll be able to here. Direct link

Thank you for that, I was able to click the direct link you added and see the magazine cover mock up.

I wonder why the forum won't show image or link in the OP to me.

@Green Baron First, no need to apologise.

Second, yes I could read the paper, but since I don't regularly read science journals, since I'm too poor to buy them and too lazy to steal them, and since much of it would go over my head anyway, I think I'll take the dumbed-down version for what it's worth. That doesn't mean I don't know it's dumbed down, or that I think NASA made a discovery that someone else actually made.

Last, nothing you said changes the fact that most people know about this because NASA made a big press conference thing to tell us about it, and Squad is referencing that announcment. Public exposure is a big deal - NASA gets a lot of it, M Gillon et al not so much. So, while a nod to the relevant academics would probably be a nice gesture from everybody, saying that NASA made a big public reveal of a major discovery is totally true.

4 hours ago, katateochi said:
On 2017/2/25 at 9:01 AM, SQUAD said:

Although we won’t see a mission to the TRAPPIST-1 system during our lifetime.....

but perhaps we might see a KSP mission to it?? :wink: (honestly, even if a second solar system was added by having some sort of magic portal and a long load time between systems I'd be happy with that).

You are the investigator of the KSP universe:D!
Whatever the system is, if interstellar navigation is implemented in KSP it is wonderful. In addition to that, multiplayer, free construction of facilities, other creatures, ...um. Anyway it is wonderful.

Edited by EBOSHI

15 hours ago, Xavven said:

Too many times Squad has revved up the hype machine for stuff I don't care about. It'll take some work for them to turn around that reputation.

It may be that KSP now resides in a 'Post-hype' world - Teetering at the downward precipice of its 'life-span bell curve' - or maybe not.

If so, then on a positive note, momentum might increase! :wink:

2 minutes ago, Enceos said:

Amusing to see people talking about 'post-hype', decline, company lifespan when the last 1.2 patch was the best so far.

To be clear, I said "teetering" not "decline". Also, I did not conflate product (KSP) and company (SQUAD) life-span as you have in your post. However, I stand by my KSP "post-hype" perspective since it is my opinion only - a hypothesis which can be proven out over the next year based on observation of development performance and forum response/behaviour.

More importantly, your citing the quality of a recent product release as the key indicator of an overall company life-cycle is a red herring - and also a classic hasty generalisation.

I look forward to the next KSP release - disproving my hypothesis concerning the product.

NOTE: We can all debate whether 'Span' v 'Cycle' should be the correct reference term here - I feel either is sufficient at the present time for the purpose of communicating my opinion .

Just now, Enceos said:

@Wallygator I was not addressing you in particular, I use tags for that, it just I see this tendency in many people on the forums.

Fair enough - and I did not take it personally at all - just making sure my logic and my interpretation of your logic is clear - or the lack of logic from either of us! :)

There are pessimists and there are optimists when dealing with ambiguous information. Pessimists tend to be more vocal on their concerns, thus forums get filled with negativity if this group is given the slightest reason for worry. I believe in the end results, all talks about stuff in between are in vain.

16 minutes ago, brusura said:

Important announcement? Talking about exoplanet...I see kerbal having more than one system...yeah ^^

That is at the "glass half full" extreme of the possibilities. 

Unfortunately, past experience with Squad indicates this is far more likely to be something extremely underwhelming, like the release of a version for another console or some very minor feature of little interest. They seem to have lost all steam on development now. 

1 hour ago, Foxster said:

That is at the "glass half full" extreme of the possibilities. 

Unfortunately, past experience with Squad indicates this is far more likely to be something extremely underwhelming, like the release of a version for another console or some very minor feature of little interest. They seem to have lost all steam on development now. 

Careful, I`ve been told the weekly is not the place to mention the (perceived, possibly imaginary) slowdown in development or the lack of any mention of 1.3.

On 2/26/2017 at 4:58 AM, John FX said:

Careful, I`ve been told the weekly is not the place to mention the (perceived, possibly imaginary) slowdown in development or the lack of any mention of 1.3.

I got a hot tip from an inside source that the announcement is going to be the version number.  Get hype!

Here's what I was just thinking:

So Squad make this weekly dev update to keep us posted on their various activities. Which is great for obvious reasons!

But they also have this policy of not revealing much, not confirming anything, maintaining a secret roadmap etc. Which is also very understandable given the amount of hype/butthurt that goes around.

These two approaches seem at odds with each other, and it shows, so...what is going on? Seems like a group of PR/marketing people were brought in to flesh out that side of the team, and they are doing one thing, whilst the old crew (or some other party) is trying to stick with what went before?

Stop me if this is all way off the mark, but what is up with Squad's strategy?

Honestly I think KSP is a few (some minor, some major) bugfixes away from being 100%, at least content-wise. So unless a big sub-DLC sized update is coming, why all this hullaballoo about "things in the works" and "secret announcements"?

"Awww people will shout at us if we get something wrong!" Only holds the first hundred or so times it is used.

If you're gonna work on Big Things that dont go in the dev updates, what use are the updates?

Dont get me wrong, I cant hardly fault Squad for anything, nor even am I really qualified to, but these endless dev updates with essentially the same content...should we be sticking around for an update with something new in it?

Or is it time to move to a monthly update?

Edited by p1t1o

34 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I got a hot tip from an inside source that the announcement is going to be the version number.  Get hype!

I hope so.

I`ve said before and I`ll repeat now that I will be very happy to be wrong and to see "1.3" mentioned anywhere. There is nothing to stop 1.3 being a few bugfixes and localisation (which seems to be a fair amount of work by itself). As has been said, development is development even if what is being developed might not be something you want.

It`s really easy to do, watch.

"We are working hard on 1.3"

See? Very easy.

So easy in fact, the lack of it is palpable.

On 26/02/2017 at 8:23 AM, Wallygator said:

I look forward to the next KSP release - disproving my hypothesis concerning the product.

As do I, it will be a great day, even the announcement of it will be a great day. We would be wrong and that would be far better than being right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.