KSP Weekly: The discovery of the Kerbol... I mean TRAPPIST-1 system

SQUAD

41 minutes ago, Foxster said:

I don't want to get wildly optimistic but I think they will announce the start of development of localisation in Welsh. 

Well, we will see a lot of L's as well as K's if they do.

All it is is a language pack for japanese, simplified chinese and russian. If you go to there twitter you can see announcement. Here is the link too announcement.http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/157215-win-prizes-and-explore-new-languages-localization-pre-release-out-on-march-16th/

On 27/02/2017 at 10:56 AM, p1t1o said:

Important announcement: "QA on localisation is going well."

JK :D

Called it.

**edit**

Though to be fair, this IS probably quite exciting for those that need it :D

Imagine: for some KSP has not existed for the last 6 years and now they are getting all of it all at once :0.0:

Edited by p1t1o

16 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Yes. Text console release. Without GUI. Unix way.

That would actually be kind of cool.

Like kOS with background processing and no visuals, but a nice API/CLI? Certainly a challenge.

9 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

That would actually be kind of cool.

Like kOS with background processing and no visuals, but a nice API/CLI? Certainly a challenge.

Would need a dV readout though...

HAHAHA an announce to announce the pre-release (which also announce the release which will be announce after the pre-release ...) ... very useful announce, isn't it ? ... (sarcasm)

Edited by Malah

4 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Though to be fair, this IS probably quite exciting for those that need it :D

Yes, but those who need it aren't likely to be following KSP's official information outlets yet, seeing as they're all currently in English.

"In a week, we'll post something which will be very exciting for many of you! Namely, those among us who can't understand English, who can't enjoy KSP because the language barrier prevents them from playing the game properly, or looking up information on it, or participating in the community, or... reading the... devblogs..."

Who did they expect to excite with this announcement, again? There are clearly people who would be thrilled, but the target audience is clearly people who don't play KSP because of the language barrier. Why, then, post the announcement in English, on a mostly-English forum, and expect the English-speaking users to be excited about it? Or, let's flip it around: They promise a big and exciting announcement, that turns out to not be relevant to the vast majority of their audience, and are then surprised that there is backlash? Promising something to one audience, with the intention of delivering it to another, generally isn't a strategy recommended by university textbooks on marketing.

I mean, if the game had been in Spanish until now, and suddenly posted a Spanish annoucement of finally getting an English translation, I'd be thrilled to hear it, but the chance of me finding that announcement, never mind caring about the announcement of the imminent announcement, would be slim to none given that I don't speak a single word of Spanish myself. The hype-building, all in Spanish, would go completely over my head. I doubt there are many people who follow forums in languages they can't understand, in the hope that the next unintelligible announcement will somehow be relevant to their ability to play the game.

Yes, I know - localization is a good thing. But it's not something that the existing audience will be thrilled about, since it isn't relevant to them. It's seen as a neat feature - for somebody else. Squad should know that. Trying to build hype ahead of the announcement, while knowing that most of the audience would find nothing of interest in it... how could that possibly go wrong? Seriously, could it possibly create anything but disappointment? Did they really think thousands of "foreign-language" users would come rushing out of the woodwork overnight, to create a positive balance against all the negative responses from disappointed users in their established communities?

The best analogy I can think of (at 12:25 in the morning) would be if a company making scuba diving equipment suddenly announced that they were going to expand their presence into the ski market - at a scuba diving conference. After hyping it up as scuba news beforehand. The audience they are speaking to, and the audience they are delivering to, are so vastly different that any fanfare they make ahead of the announcement would be purely detrimental. This is an announcement they should not have hyped up in advance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.