KSP Weekly: The discovery of the Kerbol... I mean TRAPPIST-1 system

SQUAD

7 hours ago, Yakuzi said:

We're doing announcements of announcements now? It appears we need to go deeper...

I love the kerbal version of the Time magazine cover of Gagarin btw, here's the original for anyone interested (also without parachutes :P):

1101610421_400.jpg

I imagine that a lot of people at the time must have pointed out that, oddly, the capsule shown is modelled on a US "Friendship" capsule.

Gagarin's capsule was round.  

The helmet is wrong too, of course, for Gagarin's space flight. A Soviet high-altitude pressurised pilot's helmet? 

Edited by Foxster

1 hour ago, Malah said:

I never understood why announce an announcement, why you haven't announce this announce which also needs to be announce ...

This kind of exaggerated meta-announcement can mean only one thing: SQUAD is going to run for president of the USA. Viva!

2 hours ago, severedsolo said:

I reckon it's console release for 1.2 and EU PS4 release. They have been hinting at it on facebook for a couple of weeks, and have a sale on at the moment.

d0qQ2Da.png

That would be to small for such an announcement of an announcement. They (hopefully) know the forum would boil when the call in everyone for a PS4 update...

Well...

I'm not one for over excited speculation,  but my 'best guess' for the announcement is for some console release details.  Won't affect me, but it would be very welcome all the same. 

It may not seem so to many of us, but I think the console release is a very big deal after all that happened in the past over it.

Yeh, I'm not going to get excited about an incremental update release. 1.3 is just a number (and not even a whole number at that). However, I am going to get excited about actual content and features that are being improved, revamped, generally made more awesome, and most importantly, delivered.

I'm fascinated by the poster... this feels like a teaser to something wonderful, but I'm very reluctant to let my wishful thinking get the better of me. I just hope whatever the big secret is it will deliver more substance than it leaves hanging as missed opportunity.

If not... O fie, KSP team, for teasing me so! :confused:

3 hours ago, Benoit Hage said:

Just a little precision:

Those scientists are from Liège, Belgium working for the university of Liège in the astrophysics department. They operate a telescope from Chile. The Spitzer telescope only confirmed the existence of the planetary system.

What are your sources? Based on my reading, actually your statement isn't very precise either - Spitzer is implied as having provided (at least some of) the data for the discovery of the 4 outer planets. And I've only read that the team leader is Belgian and based in Liege.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

54 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

What are your sources? Based on my reading, actually your statement isn't very precise either - Spitzer is implied as having provided (at least some of) the data for the discovery of the 4 outer planets. And I've only read that the team leader is Belgian and based in Liege.

They found the original 3, and I think helped find the other 4, this time with NASA.

Previously we saw a collaboration with NASA. Based on the interesting magazine tease, could it be a Roscosmos mod? That would suggest Moar rocket parts! "I hear that train a comin'", or more to my tastes, "Train kept a rollin' all night long."

Meh, seen this sort of hype before and it turned out to be plushies or 3D models or something like a new animation - marketing essentially. Not expecting much more than that TBH

Would love to be wrong. Really. It would be great if feature develpment is as active as before 1.2.2. Still seems like all we are getting is localisation and fixing glaring bugs that should never have been introduced in the first place, like the runway not connecting properly. Mind you, a seamless runway will be very very nice. I`ll be interested in events after the `localisation pack` (which has never been called 1.3)

The most interesting thing from this weekly is the first usage by Squad of Kerbol to refer to the Kerbal solar system...

They have always insisted is is just `the sun` before now. We all know it`s called kerbol anyway :wink:

2 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Website of the University of Liège. (EN and FR)

It seems the discovery of that planetary system is from the end of 2015 with the TRAPPIST-Sud telescope in Chile (ESO) where the Belgian team found the 3 first inner planets. When they could use the Nasa's Spitzer telescope in Autumn 2016, their finding was reinforced with the discovery of 4 other planets indeed. The team is composed like so: Link to the team. So from Geneva and Morocco as well.

1 hour ago, John FX said:

Meh, seen this sort of hype before and it turned out to be plushies or 3D models or something like a new animation - marketing essentially. Not expecting much more than that TBH

Would love to be wrong. Really. It would be great if feature develpment is as active as before 1.2.2. Still seems like all we are getting is localisation and fixing glaring bugs that should never have been introduced in the first place, like the runway not connecting properly. Mind you, a seamless runway will be very very nice. I`ll be interested in events after the `localisation pack` (which has never been called 1.3)

The most interesting thing from this weekly is the first usage by Squad of Kerbol to refer to the Kerbal solar system...

They have always insisted is is just `the sun` before now. We all know it`s called kerbol anyway :wink:

Yep, my feelings exactly. Too many times Squad has revved up the hype machine for stuff I don't care about. It'll take some work for them to turn around that reputation.

The magazine cover is intended to generate forum buzz/hype about what the new feature could be. It's a clever marketing trick I suppose.

7 hours ago, Foxster said:

I imagine that a lot of people at the time must have pointed out that, oddly, the capsule shown is modelled on a US "Friendship" capsule.

Gagarin's capsule was round.  

The helmet is wrong too, of course, for Gagarin's space flight. A Soviet high-altitude pressurised pilot's helmet? 

The Soviets were so secretive that Time would have had little to no actual data, and they had to come up with the art for a deadline, after all.

4 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Here's the link to the paper on Nature's website which lists all the authors and affiliations.

Also, here's a pretty nifty diagram of the system's transit model the authors propose based on the differential photometric measurements:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v542/n7642/fig_tab/nature21360_F1.html

The forum doesn't allow me to insert the the image directly, my apologies.

Edited by Yakuzi

3 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Hello @SQUAD:

you might want to correct your post as @Benoit Hage proposed because you give honour to the wrong people ;-)

Again, this isn't really precise @Green Baron. Squad said that the reveal was by NASA's scientists, not the discovery. Strictly speaking, NASA's press release probably did constitute the largest single source of media exposure for the discovery - more people learned about this by watching the news coverage of NASA's announcement than by reading Nature.

I also expect that NASA scientists were probably operating the Spitzer telescope and retrieving the data even if they can't claim credit for the analysis. Granted this is conjecture, but it seems likely to me.

19 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Finally we just want to let you know that we will make an important announcement in the forum next Thursday, March 2nd at 16:00 EST. So stay tuned!

*Scrambles to log into forums*

OMG! FINALLY! An announcement of... an another announcement.

alright. I'll take it. It's better than whet we've gotten for the past month-and-a-half.:D

20 hours ago, SQUAD said:
Finally we just want to let you know that we will make an important announcement in the forum next Thursday, March 2nd at 16:00 EST. So stay tuned!
Spoiler

tumblr_inline_olwkwvlsWl1rr2wit_540.jpg

New Kerbal spacesuits comfirmed?

I do remember hearing that the Kerbals were being rerigged/modified by the developers. But this is likely wishful thinking on my end.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.