SQUAD

KSP Weekly: The discovery of the Kerbol... I mean TRAPPIST-1 system

Recommended Posts

razark    2827

Squad appears to still be putting effort into KSP, so I don't really see why it matters if this is "1.2.whatever" or "1.3" or "1.4".  They can give it a version number like "George" or "Larry" for all I care.*

Hyping secret things and not announcing a plan are nothing new from Squad.  At least we're not having to hunt across five different sites to get the information they release anymore.

 

57 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Or is it time to move to a monthly update?

If they did that, they'd be dealing with a backlash of people complaining about even less information.

 

 

 

*For Jeb's sake, will someone from Squad mention some sort of version number?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5thHorseman    7634
On 2/25/2017 at 9:42 PM, Michael Kim said:
On 2/24/2017 at 7:01 PM, SQUAD said:

Although we won’t see a mission to the TRAPPIST-1 system during our lifetime

 

I wouldn't bet on this...

Of course not. It wouldn't pay out until everybody involved was dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
p1t1o    1650
37 minutes ago, razark said:

If they did that, they'd be dealing with a backlash of people complaining about even less information.

Its just that that excuse is getting SO old.

Edited by p1t1o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
razark    2827
4 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Its just that that excuse is getting SO old.

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Inertia determines that, lacking a compelling reason, it's easier for them to keep doing what they've been doing.

 

20 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Of course not. It wouldn't pay out until everybody involved was dead.

I'll offer to hold on to the money until payout time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
p1t1o    1650
30 minutes ago, razark said:

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Inertia determines that, lacking a compelling reason, it's easier for them to keep doing what they've been doing.

This is what confuses me though - the excuse is getting old, and it is still trotted out, but if that is their policy (which is understandable) then why do ultra-often weekly updates or things like "BIG announcement coming!!!"

Edited by p1t1o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fred Kerman    1

So - a significant announcement due on the 2nd March, and a picture of a gentlekerman who may have something to celebrate exactly one week later.  That's just coincidence, surely?

Spoiler

Yuri Gagarin's birthday is 9th March.  As is mine.  Like I said, just coincidence.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
klgraham1013    2492
3 hours ago, razark said:

lacking a compelling reason

How about development slowing down and not having as much to say?  Seems like a good and honest answer if it's true.  As it is, the current situation seems to be doing little good for the game or the community.

Unless you like blatantly obvious marketing techniques.  Then it's probably a blast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
something    328
On 2/25/2017 at 1:01 AM, SQUAD said:

March 2nd at 16:00 EST. So stay tuned!

What's EST? Estimated? Ethiopian Standard Time? Australian, Eastern Standard Time? No idea. Honestly, if it isn't an estimated time, why do people refer to some arbitrary time zone, rather than today's standard of timekeeping - the UTC? I mean, obviously they cannot refer to US Eastern Standard Time, since it was 4pm EST in that case.

I mean, @Squad basically implies, I could read their minds - which isn't the case. And even if I did assume what they meant by EST, it was - by no means - unambiguous, as I just prove. Are you seriously expecting me too look up the UTC offset of EST? If it isn't clear, when to attend a press release, or whatever it's going to be, then it probably isn't worth waiting for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
klgraham1013    2492
1 hour ago, something said:

What's EST? Estimated? Ethiopian Standard Time? Australian, Eastern Standard Time? No idea. Honestly, if it isn't an estimated time, why do people refer to some arbitrary time zone, rather than today's standard of timekeeping - the UTC? I mean, obviously they cannot refer to US Eastern Standard Time, since it was 4pm EST in that case.

I mean, @Squad basically implies, I could read their minds - which isn't the case. And even if I did assume what they meant by EST, it was - by no means - unambiguous, as I just prove. Are you seriously expecting me too look up the UTC offset of EST? If it isn't clear, when to attend a press release, or whatever it's going to be, then it probably isn't worth waiting for it.

Okay.  Wasn't expecting that.

Obviously eastern standard time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Deddly    2243
1 hour ago, something said:

What's EST? Estimated? Ethiopian Standard Time? Australian, Eastern Standard Time? No idea. [snip]

EST.jpg

 

 

Seems clear to me that it's referring to Erhard Seminars training. Why would anyone think otherwise? ;).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stibbons    824

That's incorrect. EST is obviously UTC+10.

(I was mildly dismayed when a company that has a pretty good track record of announcing times in a universally understood format slipped and used a region-specific one, too. But it is what it is.) 

Edited by stibbons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Earthslug    5
On 2/26/2017 at 9:38 AM, brusura said:

Important announcement? Talking about exoplanet...I see kerbal having more than one system...yeah ^^

That would also mean a super massive black hole in the centre where both kerbol and "star x" spin around.

While I'd like to see this happen, I highly doubt it. Luckily I have better time warp installed, just in case 1.3 brings exo's :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
regex    8865
1 hour ago, stibbons said:

(I was mildly dismayed when a company that has a pretty good track record of announcing times in a universally understood format slipped and used a region-specific one, too. But it is what it is.) 

I'm actually surprised they didn't show it as PST since that's the time zone they've typically used in addition to UTC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Enceos    1348
23 minutes ago, regex said:

I'm actually surprised they didn't show it as PST since that's the time zone they've typically used in addition to UTC.

I care only about GMT :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cadet_BNSF    41
22 minutes ago, Enceos said:

I care only about GMT :D

And I only care about AKST, which means that it will feel like I get to hear it a lot sooner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5thHorseman    7634
On 2/25/2017 at 8:52 AM, John FX said:

The most interesting thing from this weekly is the first usage by Squad of Kerbol to refer to the Kerbal solar system...

Actually Sun is referred to Kerbol several times in-game, in contracts. Though I think this has more to do with the contracts being written by RoverDude and QA'd by the community than any intentional addition by Squad themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaLVin-K    43
4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Actually Sun is referred to Kerbol several times in-game, in contracts. Though I think this has more to do with the contracts being written by RoverDude and QA'd by the community than any intentional addition by Squad themselves.

Can we get a petition going to officially rename the sun in game as "Kerbol?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerbiloid    2098

On Thursday: "We have added a new star with 7 kerbin-like planets around. In 40 ly from Kerbin. Using the stock engines, just 50000 years of gameplay - and you're here. Enjoy!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5thHorseman    7634
50 minutes ago, CaLVin-K said:

Can we get a petition going to officially rename the sun in game as "Kerbol?"

We? No chance. I personally hate the name. Of all names I've heard, "Sun" is actually my favorite, though I also like "Bol". Kinda close to "Bop" though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John FX    1749
7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Actually Sun is referred to Kerbol several times in-game, in contracts. Though I think this has more to do with the contracts being written by RoverDude and QA'd by the community than any intentional addition by Squad themselves.

Sometimes all it takes for something to become canon is for it to not be blocked. Sometimes the lack of action can itself be seen as an action. Like the lack of mention of 1.3 for example. Cant wait to be wrong on that. Please let me be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arsonide    1426
8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Actually Sun is referred to Kerbol several times in-game, in contracts. Though I think this has more to do with the contracts being written by RoverDude and QA'd by the community than any intentional addition by Squad themselves.

RoverDude has never worked extensively on contracts to my knowledge, you might be thinking of my prior work. As far as I'm aware the word "Kerbol" is not and has never been in the game anywhere. If you see it, grab a screenshot and report it on the bug tracker. For the most part, it is referred to as "the Sun". The words "keliosynchronous" and "keliostationary" are in the game, however, so you might be thinking of those. You can find them in Contracts.cfg, and can modify them there if K-Syndrome is bothering you.

Edited by Arsonide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5thHorseman    7634
55 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

Same for destructible buildings. I don't remember if it was being overhyped or not, but it sure wasn't needed.

It wasn't hyped. It was a side effect though of the introduction of upgradeable buildings which was hyped quite strongly. I won't say it was overhyped as it's a pretty big part of career.

19 minutes ago, Arsonide said:

RoverDude has never worked extensively on contracts to my knowledge, you might be thinking of my prior work. As far as I'm aware the word "Kerbol" is not and has never been in the game anywhere. If you see it, grab a screenshot and report it on the bug tracker. For the most part, it is referred to as "the Sun". The words "keliosynchronous" and "keliostationary" are in the game, however, so you might be thinking of those. You can find them in Contracts.cfg, and can modify them there if K-Syndrome is bothering you.

I may. I forget who did what sometimes.

I have no proof but I swear I've seen something along the lines of "rescue JimBob Kerman from Kerbol Orbit" or something along those lines. My brain can be quite skewed from reality sometimes though and for all I know it may have been a contract pack.

And it's not K-syndrome so much as just hating that particular word. I can't even articulate WHY. It just sounds really dumb to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mako    141
11 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

And it's not K-syndrome so much as just hating that particular word. I can't even articulate WHY. It just sounds really dumb to me.

Also, I just want to voice my opinion that I'm not a fan of the name Kerbol for Kerbin's star, either. I think I dislike it for its similarity to the word Kerbal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerbiloid    2098

K'Sun?

or → Xun

Edited by kerbiloid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now