[1.12.x] State Funding Continued - MM added as dependency

linuxgurugamer

Got an error and a crash after about 5 minutes of playing.

I'm sure it's not your fault.....just a coincidence. I have been getting crashes in general. I'm sure I have an issue somewhere, but I am too dumb to understand crash logs, or output logs so I have just been suffering in silence.

I created a RAR and sent it to Dropbox if you have time to look at it though....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qerxd2b2tcbhlt/Help.rar?dl=0

37 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

Got an error and a crash after about 5 minutes of playing.

I'm sure it's not your fault.....just a coincidence. I have been getting crashes in general. I'm sure I have an issue somewhere, but I am too dumb to understand crash logs, or output logs so I have just been suffering in silence.

I created a RAR and sent it to Dropbox if you have time to look at it though....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qerxd2b2tcbhlt/Help.rar?dl=0

Not sure, but it looks like you might be running out of memory.  Try doing it again, open the Task Manager and monitor the memory while you run, see what happens.

Also, note that if your memory is fragmented, you might run out of memory even if there is plenty available.  One way to avoid that is to close all windows beforehand, or reboot, then open the minimal you need before playing the game

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not sure, but it looks like you might be running out of memory.  Try doing it again, open the Task Manager and monitor the memory while you run, see what happens.

Also, note that if your memory is fragmented, you might run out of memory even if there is plenty available.  One way to avoid that is to close all windows beforehand, or reboot, then open the minimal you need before playing the game

Cool.

I did a search for the error at the end of the output log and apparently that is a Unity error when unity can't tell what is wrong.

I typically run the game with only CKAN open in the background.

I force OpenGL now and have 16 GB ram on an Asus ROG gaming laptop with an NVIDIA card....

Obviously I run the game in 64bit.

My biggest mod is OPT spaceplanes at like 94mb. Everything else is smaller. 

I'm not running anything big like a planet pack, or increased textures with any galileo mods.....mostly because I don't want to crash because of memory issues....

My CPU is at 30% and memory is at 52% according to task manager.

Most of my crashes happen when changing scenes....like going into or leaving the VAB or switching to map view. Occasionally when trying to load a save.

The going into or out of the VAB and crashing is pretty common from what I've read after searching about this....

Edited by JoE Smash

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The button is added in a part module, which is added to the parts by modulemanager.  If it isn't there,  then MM didn't work properly

Yeah I deleted MM and the copy pasted it back and restarted the game and the button reappeared....

After my last crash I tried another one of your mods for the first time....MemGraph....to see if it helped with crashing since texture compression mods are obsolete as KSP now compresses textures by default and I already force openGL and have decent RAM.

Maybe hitting alt-end with MemGraph open a bunch of times during the loading screen/mm patching caused some crap to get skipped.....lol. That's the only new thing it could have been....

I noticed spam pressing alt-end with MemGraph open creates red lines on the graph....

Edited by JoE Smash

Thanks for doing all that m8! I really appreciate your help!

I only have one question/request at this point, is it possible to set the default condition to "part disposable = true" for the decouplers at least? I ask because the parts in question are all decouplers which should be disposable by default. We already discussed their main function of being probe cores as well as decouplers is for the sake of recovering disposable stages with Stage Recovery or something. When I build a ship with a probe core I DON'T wish to lose, I use a proper probe core....not a decoupler. Using a decoupler as a true probe core for the sake of part counts or weight or something, would probably be the exception not the rule. 

I ask because of course I already screwed up a Minmus mission by missing a decoupler on my second to last stage which is now on a sub-orbital trajectory into the surface of Minmus. I believe I managed to find the part in question in my persistent save and manually switched said decoupler to disposable = true ....but finding the specific vessel to edit was a pain in the rear. I am not looking forward to doing this every time I forget to switch a decoupler to disposable.

It would be a much better situation to forget to make a decoupler "not disposable" than forgetting to make it "disposable" and then getting penalized for being daft.

Well that's my opinion at least....

Do you use OPT spaceplane parts @linuxgurugamer?

I know we both run a ton of mods, I didn't know if you use that particular one....or three really. There's OPT, OPT Legacy, and OPT Reconfig. My game seems to run a lot better (i.e. doesn't crash) when I don't have them installed. I don't know if that's because the parts packs collectively use a lot or RAM, or if some of the parts are inherriently flawed. I feel it's the latter, because I can install far more memory of mods in general as long as I don't install those particular ones.

I am aware some of the parts have severe issues, as that is the reason for the reconfig bit. The current handler of the mods uses the reconfig bit to patch "issues" with unfinished parts that kyeon left unfinished when he suddenly disappeared and stopped working on his mods.

My gut tells me that there are issues that may be beyond his means to understand or fix and somehow that's why I have far more stability issues running the game with his stuff in it.

I could be totally mistaken though, and that's why I wanted to know if you used those particular parts and had no increased stability issues, and it was just me and me being silly. That being said I haven't crashed in a while....which is making playing much more fun....

I wish the parts did work without killing my game though, because the models are pretty cool and make interesting looking spaceplanes. I prefer the look of them over the stock parts even with mk2 and mk3 expansions...

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No, I don't.

Would be best to contact @JadeOfMaar in the correct thread, he is pretty responsive and may be able to help you

He is responsive, we've spoken. Not about my crashing, but I've asked things and he's answered. I'm pretty sure if he knew how to fix the issues he would have already. He's updated OPT Reconfig twice in the last month already. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's probably beyond his control.... I figure he's doing the best he can, I'm not sure what his programming skill set is, and I'm sure it greatly exceeds my own....I just don't know that he can fix whatever may be messed up. My gut tells me there is some issue somewhere though. I know some of the parts have had issues since before he took the project over. He's been actively tweaking them, I just don't know if it's making things better or worse....Since my game crashes so frequently with those mods installed, and doesn't when they aern't I'm leaning twords the latter. Like I said though it's mostly just a gut feeling, as I certainly don't have any idea how to fix code....or write code....or model parts. I basically know how to do a file search and open a cfg file with note pad. That's pretty much the extent of my current KSP modding ability.

3 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

He is responsive, we've spoken. Not about my crashing, but I've asked things and he's answered. I'm pretty sure if he knew how to fix the issues he would have already. He's updated OPT Reconfig twice in the last month already. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's probably beyond his control.... I figure he's doing the best he can, I'm not sure what his programming skill set is, and I'm sure it greatly exceeds my own....I just don't know that he can fix whatever may be messed up. My gut tells me there is some issue somewhere though. I know some of the parts have had issues since before he took the project over. He's been actively tweaking them, I just don't know if it's making things better or worse....Since my game crashes so frequently with those mods installed, and doesn't when they aern't I'm leaning twords the latter. Like I said though it's mostly just a gut feeling, as I certainly don't have any idea how to fix code....or write code....or model parts. I basically know how to do a file search and open a cfg file with note pad. That's pretty much the extent of my current KSP modding ability.

This isn't programming, it's working with 3D models.  And, if the original models aren't available. it's extremely difficult to make changes

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @linuxgurugamer,

My State Funding broke....

The button is there, and when I click on it the Sub-tabs are all there for each performance section that you get rated on....but everything is blank....

When I started a new game, it didn't ask me to pick a group to belong to....

I thought maybe you got rid of the choices, but I realize now something is wrong....

I'm going to try deleting and reinstalling it....

I suppose you want logs....

Edited by JoE Smash

It said this towards the end of my KSP log, when I opened the State Funding menu with the button, and clicked on the sub-tabs....

Spoiler

[EXC 05:01:58.407] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    StateFunding.Review.UpdateFinalPO ()
    StateFunding.Review.touch ()
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubCurrentView.draw (StateFunding.View Vw, StateFunding.ViewWindow Window)
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubView.LoadCurrentState ()
    StateFunding.ViewButton.paint ()
    StateFunding.View.paint ()
    StateFunding.ViewManager.OnGUI ()
[EXC 05:01:59.070] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubStationsView.draw (StateFunding.View Vw, StateFunding.ViewWindow Window)
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubView.LoadSpaceStations ()
[EXC 05:01:59.603] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubBasesView.draw (StateFunding.View Vw, StateFunding.ViewWindow Window)
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubView.LoadBases ()
[EXC 05:02:00.270] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubCoverageView.draw (StateFunding.View Vw, StateFunding.ViewWindow Window)
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubView.LoadSatelliteCoverage ()
[EXC 05:02:00.937] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubLabView.draw (StateFunding.View Vw, StateFunding.ViewWindow Window)
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubView.LoadScienceStations ()
[EXC 05:02:01.631] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubMiningView.draw (StateFunding.View Vw, StateFunding.ViewWindow Window)
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubView.LoadMiningRigs ()
[EXC 05:02:02.324] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubRoversView.draw (StateFunding.View Vw, StateFunding.ViewWindow Window)
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubView.LoadRovers ()
[EXC 05:02:02.857] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubKerbalsView.draw (StateFunding.View Vw, StateFunding.ViewWindow Window)
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubView.LoadKerbals ()
[EXC 05:02:04.696] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubCurrentView.draw (StateFunding.View Vw, StateFunding.ViewWindow Window)
    StateFunding.StateFundingHubView.LoadCurrentState ()
[LOG 05:02:15.253] [UIMasterController]: ShowUI

1 hour ago, JoE Smash said:

I'm using Kopernicus now, but not for Solar System changing reasons...it is for some Visual Mod....

I'm using JadeofMaarr's Sunflare mod now though....not sure if that "renamed the sun" or something....I'm using the UrsaMinor Flare or something....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgdzmaxiw5mxy03/StatefundingProblem.rar?dl=0

This is very strange.  Have you changed anything recently (modwise)?

The error is happening because the government isn't set, but it obviously was because you've been playing the game.

So, two things:

• First, try restarting and see if that fixes it
  • If it doesn't, then please send me the save file

44 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This is very strange.  Have you changed anything recently (modwise)?

The error is happening because the government isn't set, but it obviously was because you've been playing the game.

So, two things:

• First, try restarting and see if that fixes it
  • If it doesn't, then please send me the save file

Lol, we posted at the same time...

It magically fixed itself after I reinstalled the mod and restarted the game.

When I loaded the game this time it let me pick a government....

So it's all good...

I read a description of a mod somewhere that said something like you have to start the game twice for the mod to function properly....I couldn't remember if this was the mod that said to do that or not.

If it doesn't say that for this mod, maybe you should put that as a troubleshooting step...lol.

I'm not even surprised when stuff like this happens with this game anymore...it's just how it is....

Edited by JoE Smash

• 1 month later...

Question - I am currently playing with no stock contracts, is that how this mod was intended to be used?  I can't figure out how to grow my budget.  I have been putting satellites around kerbin, mun, and minmus in the early game however my funds continue to go down.   I have no crashed flights at this point.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

On 9/19/2018 at 7:31 AM, gsamelon said:

Question - I am currently playing with no stock contracts, is that how this mod was intended to be used?  I can't figure out how to grow my budget.  I have been putting satellites around kerbin, mun, and minmus in the early game however my funds continue to go down.   I have no crashed flights at this point.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

This doesn't do anything with creating contracts, that's the game's responsibility, and/or ContractConfigurators

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.