linuxgurugamer

[1.7] State Funding Continued - MM added as dependency

Recommended Posts

Sorry, my question wasn't clear enough.  Is it intended for this mod to be used along side of the stock contract system or can be it be used with no contracts.  I am trying it with no contracts and trying my sole source of income to be from state funding, but I can't seem to make enough money.  So i am just wondering if I need to use the stock contracts or learn how to earn more money with state funding.  Thanks Linux!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gsamelon said:

Sorry, my question wasn't clear enough.  Is it intended for this mod to be used along side of the stock contract system or can be it be used with no contracts.  I am trying it with no contracts and trying my sole source of income to be from state funding, but I can't seem to make enough money.  So i am just wondering if I need to use the stock contracts or learn how to earn more money with state funding.  Thanks Linux!

If you want to play this alone, you will need to increase the payouts in the settings, otherwise consider it a supplemental source of money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I play RSS and set budgetPeriodsPerYear to 12, is it then one time each Earth month?
Or is it quirked?

And one suggestion, how about integrating into KAC instead of hard-stopping timewarp itself?
(This way I also could really see when the next budget would occur...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing:

There is a
GameData\StateFunding\PluginData\StateFunding.cfg

which is 0 bytes - and stays zero bytes.

I guess the settings should be stored in here - but instead they're stored in the persistence file ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 11:30 AM, Gordon Dry said:

When I play RSS and set budgetPeriodsPerYear to 12, is it then one time each Earth month?
Or is it quirked?

And one suggestion, how about integrating into KAC instead of hard-stopping timewarp itself?
(This way I also could really see when the next budget would occur...)

Ummm, integrating takes time, which I’m spending on other mods.

And I have no idea about RSS

On 9/23/2018 at 12:22 PM, Gordon Dry said:

Another thing:

There is a
GameData\StateFunding\PluginData\StateFunding.cfg

which is 0 bytes - and stays zero bytes.

I guess the settings should be stored in here - but instead they're stored in the persistence file ...

Leftover, ignore it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I don't know what's going on, but even though I have about a dozen space stations, sat coverage at around 20%, half a dozen active rovers, mining rigs, etc, my state confidence and public opinion keep falling. I haven't lost any vessels, but this really just doesn't make much sense at all.

And what do the numbers for the modifiers and decay really even mean? How can you tell if it's decay or growth?

Here's my current stats:

Public Opinion: 3
State Confidence: 3
Public Opinion After Modifiers & Decay: 424
State Confidence After Modifiers & Decay: 984

What do those figures for modifiers and decay even entail?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pseudo bug-report @linuxgurugamer:

It looks like you put in support for KSPI-E at some point, for the "FNGenerator" module. It also looks like KSPI-E changed the name of the power generation modules at some point.

These lines should be added somewhere in the modulealiases.settings file under the "Energy" heading:

			Item
			{
				name = ChargedParticlesPowerGenerator
			}
			Item
			{
				name = ThermalElectricPowerGenerator
			}

Let me know if you want me to stick this on GitHub as an issue as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, etmoonshade said:

Pseudo bug-report @linuxgurugamer:

It looks like you put in support for KSPI-E at some point, for the "FNGenerator" module. It also looks like KSPI-E changed the name of the power generation modules at some point.

These lines should be added somewhere in the modulealiases.settings file under the "Energy" heading:


			Item
			{
				name = ChargedParticlesPowerGenerator
			}
			Item
			{
				name = ThermalElectricPowerGenerator
			}

Let me know if you want me to stick this on GitHub as an issue as well.

Can you do it as a PR on github?  If not, then an issue would work.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Can you do it as a PR on github?  If not, then an issue would work.

Thanks

One of these days I'll figure out how to use github for actual code, but I don't really do much in the way of code myself.

I've opened the appropriate issue for you, though. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any way to adjust the number of satellites needed for full coverage permanently? I have tried editing it in the persistent.sfs file, yet with every new review it keeps returning to the previous value.

I'm trying to do this because when using GPP it thinks that I will need 503 satellites to get full coverage around Grannus. As a result, my satellite coverage percentage is always extremely low, and it will probably never get anywhere near 100% because having that many flights at once is bound to make your save lag like crazy.

Additionally, despite meeting the requirements for an orbital science station (a scientist, science lab, antenna, power, science instruments, fuel, docking ports, docked vessels, listed as a station, "station" in the name, the whole 9 yards), it still does not recognize my stations as science stations. Also, despite not losing any Kerbals, continuing to launch at an incredible rate, having over half a dozen stations, rovers, and landers, and not failing any contracts, my PO and SC keep falling. I can't tell what the modifier values are supposed to be - it just says "state confidence modifiers and decay = 1374." ...Okay? So... what does that mean? Is it decay? Is it growth? Is there supposed to be some positive or negative there? I've tried boosting it by editing persistent.sfs, but then it just drops from that value (increase from 5 to 20, next evaluation it's down to 17).

I honestly have no clue what I'm doing wrong with this. UKSA emphasizes on having lots of Kerbals in space - I have 51, and it's still falling. It just doesn't make much sense why the value keeps falling even though I'm doing everything I should to be raising it, and I haven't done anything to really make it fall (such as losing a contract, killing a kerbal, crashing a ship, etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New release, 0.6.16.2

  •     Added lines for KSPI-E parts
  •     Removed max version from .version file

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the Idea of this Mod but as some people have commented before, its hard to understand how it works and seems unreasonably hard at the same time. The consequences of the first choice about the funder are also really hard to estimate. Is it better to have a lot of Budget periods or just a few? How severe is the penalty for a failure?

I have few contracts enabled and used them as my income, but these state confidence and public opinion values are decaying so fast, I get almost no funds. With only 30 part rockets I landed a Kerbal and a rover on the mun but nevertheless my scores are getting negative now.

I suggest a much slower decay of the state confidence and public opinion values, maybe 10% of the current value. 
Also, could there be a reward for reaching milestones like "first manned orbit of body X" etc.?
I would also suggest simplifying the "State" Choice in the beginning. What about offering only 4 Alternatives, maybe modelled after the NASA, the ESA, Roscosmos and the CNSA? The NASA-alike would reward public opinion most, the CNSA state confindence and the ESA and Roscosmos would be balanced. Budget periods should be the same or well explained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@linuxgurugamer  I'm trying to build a config for this that is somewhat balanced against the newest 1.6.1 RSS/RO/RP1 build and I'm sorta close to what I think I need, I just need a quick note on how to config it. Right now, here's what I'm using:

 

Item
	{
		name = RP1
		longName = Realistic Progression 1
		poModifier = 10
		poPenaltyModifier = 5
		scModifier = 10
		scPenaltyModifier = 5
		startingPO = 10
		startingSC = 10
		budget = 0.2
		gdp = 10000000
		budgetPeriodsPerYear = 4
		description = (snip)
	}

I put 4 budget periods per year, but I'm still getting at least 12 payouts throughout a year. What functions do "budget", "gdp", and "budgetPeriodsPerYear" do? Also---is there any way to tweak the decay rate? If I can figure that stuff out then I may need another balance pass or two and I think I've got it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sjsharks39 said:

@linuxgurugamer  I'm trying to build a config for this that is somewhat balanced against the newest 1.6.1 RSS/RO/RP1 build and I'm sorta close to what I think I need, I just need a quick note on how to config it. Right now, here's what I'm using:

 


Item
	{
		name = RP1
		longName = Realistic Progression 1
		poModifier = 10
		poPenaltyModifier = 5
		scModifier = 10
		scPenaltyModifier = 5
		startingPO = 10
		startingSC = 10
		budget = 0.2
		gdp = 10000000
		budgetPeriodsPerYear = 4
		description = (snip)
	}

I put 4 budget periods per year, but I'm still getting at least 12 payouts throughout a year. What functions do "budget", "gdp", and "budgetPeriodsPerYear" do? Also---is there any way to tweak the decay rate? If I can figure that stuff out then I may need another balance pass or two and I think I've got it.

GDP is the GrossDomesticProduct, essentially the base value upon which the calculations are made.

budget is the percentage of the GDP which is the yearly budget

budgetPeriodsPerYear is how often money is dispersed. If. The yearly budget was 1000 and there were 4 budgetPeriodsPerYear, then each disbursement would be 250, and would occur 4 times a year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sjsharks39 said:

@linuxgurugamer Thanks for the info :) Is there any way to slow the decay rate?

Not at the present time.  I’ve created an issue to make it configurable, but will take a little while to get to,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I made a PR on github to fix a bug with PO and SC decay.

Mainly "Public Opinion After Modifiers & Decay" is supposed to become PO after the budget review but this was not happening which was why PO just kept decreasing.

decay rate is actually a convergence rate I changed it to 0.5 so now PO should reach half way to where its supposed to be each budget.

 

Btw having full satellite coverage of all bodies amounts to less SC that having one mining rig on minmus.

Il work on getting more numbers on screen so we can better understand whats happening then Il try to fix satellites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

New release, 0.6.17

  • Thanks to github user @Snucker:
    • The main bug fix is in InstanceData.addReview() where the new budgets Public Opinion(PO) and State Confidence(SC) is now set to the old budgets final PO and SC. This bug was why players always loose PO and SC each budgets since only the decay was affecting them.
    • Removed ApplyDecay() from ReviewManager.cs and moved the calculation to UpdateFinalSC() and UpdateFinalPO() in Review.cs because finalPO and finalSC is displayed in the summary and would not be accurate otherwise.
    • The formula for finalPO and finalSC is: finalPO = (PO + POEarnedThisBudget)(1 - convergenceRate)
    • convergenceRate used to be 0.2
    • This had what I thought was an unintended consequence that finalPO converges on 4 * POEarnedThisBudget so i changed it to 0.5 which would make finalPO converges on 1 * POEarnedThisBudget.
    • It turns out the mod author had intended for finalPO to be 4 times bigger and had compensated by dividing the funding reward by 4 so I'm not sure this change is necessary anymore but it does make the formula a bit more intuitive.
    • The abstract class Factor.cs and its implementation classes are code refactored out of Review.cs.  I'm not too sold on the class name but basically a factor is anything that affects PO and SC gain.  FactorVariables.cs is a class containing all the variables to persist related factors.
    • Most of the changes in the view classes are to conform to the above refactor and have no visible change.
    • StateFundingHubCurrentView.cs and ReviewView.cs was changed to add PO and SC gain for each factor and cut down on the details for space stations.
    • Also I changed the SC multiplier for satellite coverage from 2 to 100 to make it a bit more balanced.
  • Made the decay rate configurable in the stock settings

0.6.17.1

  • Added InstallChecker
  • Updated AssemblyVersion.tt
Edited by linuxgurugamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've got a few satellites in orbit, all with Probodyne HECs pods, solar panels and various antenna and relays. As far as the satellites tab is concerned there's nothing there. 

Is there a way to figure out what's happening here? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Das_Sheep said:

So I've got a few satellites in orbit, all with Probodyne HECs pods, solar panels and various antenna and relays. As far as the satellites tab is concerned there's nothing there. 

Is there a way to figure out what's happening here? 

Start with a log file, and what version of the mod are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Start with a log file, and what version of the mod are you using?

Apolagies. It just didn't seem to have updated if I went straight to the satellites tab. I flicked through them all from first to last and then back to satellites and it had come up to date. 

Can easy enough fire a log across if still wanted? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small glitch in the initial signup screen - text runs out of the window and eventually off the entire game window. Using 0.6.17.1

 

1e13a0c349.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 11:02 AM, Wylker said:

Small glitch in the initial signup screen - text runs out of the window and eventually off the entire game window. Using 0.6.17.1

 

1e13a0c349.png

This looks like you are running an HD screen.  Please provide a log file so I can (possibly) replicate the issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.