[1.12.x] State Funding Continued - MM added as dependency

linuxgurugamer

2 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Well. China, India, And the UAE all have space programs now. Perhaps you could make a few analogues for those.

Yes, and I'm asking for other people to contribute.

I maintain over 60 different mods, and the only way I can do this is with the help and support of other users. I can't do it all.

so, rather than telling me to do it, why don't you make one for me.  It's not too difficult.  The file is called StateFunding/Data/governments.settings, and the fields needed are:

name = Short name of government/agency
        longName = Long name
        poModifier = Public Opinion Reward
        poPenaltyModifier =  Public Opinion Penalty
        scModifier = State Confidence Reward
        scPenaltyModifier = State Confidence Penalty
        startingPO = Starting Public Opinion
        startingSC = Starting State Confidence
        budget = Yearly budget
        gdp = GDP 
        description = long description of the goverment, it's aims, etc.

31 minutes ago, MaxZhao said:

Just created a pull request on Kerbal's Republic of Kerna! Hope it's okay! BTW does the mod recognise mining rigs from other mining mods such as Karbonite?

thanks, I'll get it merged

Re. the mining rigs, could you test and let me know?  I believe if the other mining rigs use the same modules, it should work

New release, 0.6.3:

• Now using Planetarium.fetch.Sun to identify the sun
  • Added Kerbal's republic of Kerna, thanks @Maxzhao1999

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Re. the mining rigs, could you test and let me know?  I believe if the other mining rigs use the same modules, it should work

No problem, will test tonight!

EDIT: Sadly confirm that carbonite is not recognised. :(

Edited by MaxZhao

Thankfully, there's a config file for that. I opened up StateFunding/data/modulealiases.settings and modified the drill section as seen below and it now picks up all the drills from USI. I imagine the same might work for RegolithCollector and maybe some of the other resource collectors / scoops from KSPIE, but I don't have any of those to test.

Spoiler

Item
        {
                name = Drill
                Modules
                {
                        Item
                        {
                                name = ModuleResourceHarvester
                        }
                        Item
                        {
                                name = ModuleResourceHarvester_USI
                        }
                }
        }

On 2/28/2017 at 6:56 AM, daniel l. said:

Well. China, India, And the UAE all have space programs now. Perhaps you could make a few analogues for those.

Or, maybe you could and send them to me for inclusion???

oh, and you forgot a few.  all of the following countries have launched rockets into space:

• China National Space Administration (People's Republic of China)
  • European Space Agency, (Various European Nations)
  • Iranian Space Agency, (Iran)
  • Israeli Space Agency, (Israel)
  • Italian Space Agency, (Italy)
  • Korea Aerospace Research Institute, (North Korea)
  • Korea Aerospace Research Institute, (South Korea)
  • Indian Space Research Organization, (India)
  • Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, (Japan)
  • National Aeronautics and Space Administration (United States)
  • National Center of Space Research, (France)
  • National Space Agency of Ukraine, (Ukraine)
  • Russian Federal Space Agency, (Russia)
Edited by linuxgurugamer

Ideas:

- Scale the font sizes using the values in the options for UI scaling?  I play on a 4k display, so that's always a concern of mine.

- Satellite coverage weighting maybe needs to be split into "comms" / "science" / "surveillance", possibly weighted based on whether the parent body is unlocked.  Maybe certain "experiments" count towards surveillance (DMagic has a few parts) or a surveillance module could be added to any part using a MM patch.

- Maybe higher opinion based on number of unlocked planets and moons out of the maximum

- KCT alarms that auto-delete / don't stop warp / don't pause at the end of each quarter, just provide a small reminder in the KCT window of when the next quarter ends.

- Present a brief summary of end-of-quarter results as an alert message (similar to how stage-recovery gives you results about stages) in the stock KSP alert system

On 3/3/2017 at 5:43 PM, WuphonsReach said:

Scale the font sizes using the values in the options for UI scaling?  I play on a 4k display, so that's always a concern of mine.

That's the game itself.  I'm not about to start playing with font sizes.  Look to see if the game has a way to control the standard font.

Satellite coverage weighting maybe needs to be split into "comms" / "science" / "surveillance", possibly weighted based on whether the parent body is unlocked.  Maybe certain "experiments" count towards surveillance (DMagic has a few parts) or a surveillance module could be added to any part using a MM patch

Do you have any idea what you are suggesting/asking?  

What differentiates between a "comms", "science" and "surveillance" satellite?  Would you allow a single satellite to count towards two or three of these?

Maybe higher opinion based on number of unlocked planets and moons out of the maximum

What is an "unlocked" planet/moon?

KCT alarms that auto-delete / don't stop warp / don't pause at the end of each quarter, just provide a small reminder in the KCT window of when the next quarter ends

This is not KCT. speak to that mod's author about this.

Present a brief summary of end-of-quarter results as an alert message (similar to how stage-recovery gives you results about stages) in the stock KSP alert system

This is reasonable, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it.  I'll think about it.

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What is an "unlocked" planet/moon?

I'm pretty sure he is asking for Research Bodies Support.  Galileo's Planet Pack has support for it so I suspect alot of people are using it right now, even though I think it was still a beta release for 1.2.2, I pulled the latest dev version from here and it seems to work ok.  Could be neat to add to the summary, not sure if research bodies even has a way to pull that information through.  

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This is reasonable, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it.  I'll think about it.

A summary message would be nice for this and a couple other mods.  For those of us crazy enough to make detailed logbooks about our career games.  But you know what I need is mod that will store them all so if I click one off that I meant to read that I could still pull it up somehow... :)   Actually, you know what just occurred to me.   Is it possible to make a mod that would pull the contents of every system message and write it to a file with a timestamp?  Would skip savegame bloat entirely, and with a specialized text parser I could pull data from the message log. 

Also, on the subject of timestamp...  What constitutes a quarter in state funding?  What if we play with Earth Time instead of Kerbin Time.  Is it based on the actual home planet orbital stats, or is it based on the clock?  Something I learned is if you use Sigma Dimensions to rescale the system, the clock doesn't correlate to the celestial movements anymore.   I've also been told that there is a Kopernicus Time that simply turns the clock readout to use an actual local scale for the home planet, GPP is going to use that on their next update.

I will need to think about the Research Bodies support.  There are two problems, one practical, one philosophical.

The practical one is how difficult it will be to integrate.  This isn't a simple MM patch, it will be somewhat extensive coding.

The second is that I made a decision a long time ago to not support projects that don't have the possibility of being forked;  in other words, the license @JPLRepo is using for his code is an All Rights Reserved license.  This mean that if for whatever reason he decides to stop support, everyone is out of luck since no one will be able to take it over.  

In the IT field, there is a phrase which says "How many buses away from disaster are we".  This is referring to the idea that if a single person is the only one with critical knowledge of a process, it is possible that a bus could hit him and in addition to killing him, kill the company because the knowledge is lost.  An ARR license by a single person is a single bus away from dying.

I respect his decision to use the license, it's my decision not to support or use the mod.

The reason for this is that a long time ago I wrote some code for an a mod which was later abandoned.  I offered to take it over, but the author just ignored me for whatever reason, since the mod had an ARR, the mod is  now totally dead.  I'm not going to get myself into that situation again.

I will look at the code, if it's not more than a few minutes of my time, I'll think about doing it, otherwise, probably not.

On the locked bodies, I'm more talking about mechanics where a body is "locked" (this may be a Contract Configurator concept) until you enter it's SoI for the first time.  So, should you be penalized for not having a satellite or space station around Plock in year 1?  Maybe the current SFC code doesn't, but I don't know whether the SFC code is balanced against the base KSP system with J major planets and N minor planets.  Or does it scale properly when you introduce additional worlds (OPM)?

Satellite (communications) coverage could be inferred from only looking at spacecraft which are tagged as "relay" in the "rename vessel" UI.  While science coverage could be done using "probe" as the vessel type.

Surveillance parts are harder, but if the code looks for a special MODULE{} tag on the part, that tag could be added to any parts using a MM patch.

Font scaling was added to the base game in 1.1 or 1.2.  Does SFC use the font scaling setting or does it still use older Unity code which didn't have scaling for its UI?

1 hour ago, smotheredrun said:

@linuxgurugamer I am working on a government file now.  When I am done, should I post it here or PM you?

Either would be fine

Thanks

9 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

On the locked bodies, I'm more talking about mechanics where a body is "locked" (this may be a Contract Configurator concept) until you enter it's SoI for the first time.  So, should you be penalized for not having a satellite or space station around Plock in year 1?  Maybe the current SFC code doesn't, but I don't know whether the SFC code is balanced against the base KSP system with J major planets and N minor planets.  Or does it scale properly when you introduce additional worlds (OPM)?

Satellite (communications) coverage could be inferred from only looking at spacecraft which are tagged as "relay" in the "rename vessel" UI.  While science coverage could be done using "probe" as the vessel type.

Surveillance parts are harder, but if the code looks for a special MODULE{} tag on the part, that tag could be added to any parts using a MM patch.

Font scaling was added to the base game in 1.1 or 1.2.  Does SFC use the font scaling setting or does it still use older Unity code which didn't have scaling for its UI?

The basic game doesn't have any concept of a "locked" body, and there are too many ways to infer that.  And does SFC penalize you for not having anything in orbit around all the planets, or do the rewards get larger the more satellites are?

I'm not aware of any mods which are implementing font scaling, can you point me to them?

Re surveillance, I'd want to do that with a part.  So if someone want's to make a part for this, please get in touch with me.

I made a "government" or rather SpaceK.

{
		name = SpaceK
		longName = Space Eksploration Technologies, Inc. 
		poModifier = 5
		poPenaltyModifier = 10
		scModifier = .1
		scPenaltyModifier = .05
		startingPO = 60
		startingSC = 50
		budget = 0.2
		gdp = 6000000
		description = The bold dream of visionary Elon Kerman, SpaceK is a privately owned space agency with the goal of expanding out to the entire Kerbol system. Its bold goals have rekindled the hope of space exploration in many investors, leading to very high initial hype and dependence on public opinion. Your successes will gain glory and drive profits, but failures will scare away investors and drive your program into the ground. As Elon is wholly confident in his program, state confidence is hardly a factor. You need to dream big and perform when it's important, or else you will fail.
	}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.