Windows 10 problems

KerikBalm

bah personnaly mostly made the switch to stay in touch with a few things from an ergonomics pov ...

12 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Amateurs care about looks. Pros care about functionality.

yeah and who feed the so self called professionnals amateur ?

badum tshhhh 1700 1900 lalalalala sector 1 2 3 and birth death rate story again ? well in/out nothin interestin' to see here

managing world population, weather.com and tree and pisces and else 404 cannot compute ? tss tsss

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

On 14.4.2017 at 9:56 AM, KerikBalm said:

I am at a loss here...

Have you tried what Camacha told you to do?

3 hours ago, steve_v said:

Which is why I use KDE.

Which I think is somewhat odd as KDE is the most ressource intensive of all DEs. And for decades it also was the DE with the most awful amount of dependencies.

8 minutes ago, Harry Rhodan said:

Which I think is somewhat odd as KDE is the most ressource intensive of all DEs.

It's comparable to e.g. GNOME3 or Unity as far as resources go (okay, maybe a little bit more RAM), and you don't have to install all of it. I'll take the memory usage as fair tax for the features.
I switched to KDE(1) when Gnome (1.5?) tossed midnight commander for that awfully slow Nautilus thing... Haven't seen a reason to change since, though on machines with limited memory XFCE(and some bits from LXDE) is my desktop of choice.

24 minutes ago, steve_v said:

It's comparable to e.g. GNOME3 or Unity as far as resources go (okay, maybe a little bit more RAM), and you don't have to install all of it. I'll take the memory usage as fair tax for the features.
I switched to KDE(1) when Gnome (1.5?) tossed midnight commander for that awfully slow Nautilus thing... Haven't seen a reason to change since, though on machines with limited memory XFCE(and some bits from LXDE) is my desktop of choice.

That was when i switched to xfwm/xfce :-) But mc is still in the repositories (Debian 8).

I can only say to OPs problems that i quit using windows (that was during Win 7) when i found out i was unable to access my own data folders and windows created more and more program and user folders, sometimes language dependent. It simply takes too much time to find out what the problem is, trying to get help on windows problems is tedious to impossible, see the reason of this thread. The "help" is usually of the quality "Did you look in the tank ? Is there fuel in there ?". I hate it being scoffed at, that is not very professional from ms.

If it's not a corporate machine and you're free to choose your os then ... ?

Edited by Green Baron

13 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

It simply takes too much time to find out what the problem is, trying to get help on windows problems is tedious to impossible, see the reason of this thread. The "help" is usually of the quality "Did you look in the tank ? Is there fuel in there ?". I hate it being scoffed at, that is not very professional from ms.

Yeah, this ^. Not only getting troubleshooting information, this happens every time I try to do something on Windows that's even slightly outside the standard use-case. I get either a deafening silence, "go buy this (expensive) app" or "You need Windows professional/server for that".
Example: Detect when a specific removable drive is plugged in, run a script, eject the drive, spawn a popup. That's about 5 minutes and 2 lines of bash on a GNU/Linux box. Do you think I could get any info on how to do this in Windows... Not a word.
How about backing up a machine to a network share? Nope, need Windows pro for that, and even then it can't do incremental backups of the whole machine. Give me rsync any day. Then, to annoy me more, MS removed windows backup entirely.
RAID6? Get windows server. :mad:
The list goes on...

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.