Mods for a rotating ring in space station

gowthamn

A few of things to bear in mind:

• Rotating objects in KSP stop rotating as soon as you turn on timewarp, or switch away from them to something outside the physics bubble.  So if you're doing this by having an actual set of parts that are rotating, you'll have to spin it up again every time you come back to it.  (There's a mod called Persistent Rotation that can address this issue, but I've never used it myself and can't speak to how well it works or whether there are any other side effects.)
  • It's not possible to build an actual closed loop of parts in KSP, due to the "tree" nature of ships.  If you set out to do this, you'll need to close the gap with struts or something.  (I assume that any tutorial about this will address this issue.)

If you don't actually need to build something big yourself out of stock parts, but just want the "look" of a rotating hab ring, an easy solution is the MKS mod from RoverDude.  It includes an inflatable "habitat ring" part which, when deployed, has a rotation animation built into it.

8 minutes ago, Snark said:
  • Rotating objects in KSP stop rotating as soon as you turn on timewarp, or switch away from them to something outside the physics bubble.  So if you're doing this by having an actual set of parts that are rotating, you'll have to spin it up again every time you come back to it.  (There's a mod called Persistent Rotation that can address this issue, but I've never used it myself and can't speak to how well it works or whether there are any other side effects.)

Unfortunately, Persistent Rotation only takes account for the rotation of the whole ship in it's axis, lets the ship move around it's current body so it always stays prograde or whatever direction you choose. You can let it following another body, for instance the sun, when you have panels that can't move so you have to let them face to the sun the whole time. Or just a random rotations per minute.

I'm not totally sure, but I assume when you build a moving ring with parts from Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics (I believe there's a up-to-date beta release), the ring will stop moving during timewarp as @Snark said. 

Here's also the link for roverdude's amazing mod:

27 minutes ago, Snark said:

A few of things to bear in mind:

• It's not possible to build an actual closed loop of parts in KSP, due to the "tree" nature of ships.  If you set out to do this, you'll need to close the gap with struts or something.  (I assume that any tutorial about this will address this issue.)

If you don't actually need to build something big yourself out of stock parts, but just want the "look" of a rotating hab ring, an easy solution is the MKS mod from RoverDude.  It includes an inflatable "habitat ring" part which, when deployed, has a rotation animation built into it.

Thanks. Will download MKS

2 hours ago, gowthamn said:

Will download MKS

Bear in mind that MKS is a pretty heavyweight mod, and includes a lot of gameplay changes besides adding new parts.  I'd strongly suggest reading through the documentation about what it does and how it changes gameplay, before starting a career with it.  It's an amazing mod, but not everyone's cup of tea.

(In particular, it shifts a lot of emphasis away from "flying rocket ships" and towards logistics management.  So if you're all about flying rockets, it might not be for you.)

48 minutes ago, Snark said:

Bear in mind that MKS is a pretty heavyweight mod, and includes a lot of gameplay changes besides adding new parts.  I'd strongly suggest reading through the documentation about what it does and how it changes gameplay, before starting a career with it.  It's an amazing mod, but not everyone's cup of tea.

(In particular, it shifts a lot of emphasis away from "flying rocket ships" and towards logistics management.  So if you're all about flying rockets, it might not be for you.)

Yes, I had used it before.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.