Airship Adventures!

DerekL1963

"As the Kastronaut Corps is charged with exploring outer place, the Aeronaut Expeditionary Corps is charged with exploring the surface of Kerbin and pushing the boundaries of lighter-than-air flight"

- KASA Administrator at the Aeronaut Corps commissioning ceremony and the handover to them of the AS-4 Norge and Rover I

VwXvuVa.png

The AEC and their vehicles at the commissioning ceremony, from left to right:  Hugo Kerman (Pilot, Corps Commander), Emery Kerman (Pilot, Chief Pilot), Charles Kerman (Scientist, Chief Scientist), William Kerman (Scientist), Umberto Kerman (Engineer, Chief Engineer), Henri Kerman (Engineer).  In the background, Rover I and the AS-4 Norge.

(Links lead to the historical inspirations for the crew names.)

AS-4 Norge

mGL9tKD.png

The Norge is designed to be a long range general purpose exploration airship.  She's equipped with a pair of Cyclone engines pushing, and three pairs of electric engines (one pusher, two tractor).  Under full sun, she can cruise at 56 m/s (158mph/208kph) on all three electrics.  (Eat your heart out Elon!)

I've set up a set of action groups to control the major functions of the airship:

1.   Toggle Cyclone engine.
  2.   Toggle pusher electric motor.
  3.   Toggle tractor electric motors.
  4.   Toggle reverse (all engines).
  5.   Toggle compressors
  6.   Toggle generators

Groups 2/3 allow me to choose between 1, 2, or 3 electric engines.  Group 5 is useful when making precision landings - those compressed air RCS systems eat compressed air like nobody's business.

FYikWTF.png

Norge is also equipped with a rover bay to carry Rover I, allowing extended exploration while landed.

The vessel itself comes from the Heisenberg Airship Parts Pack, the solar panels comes from the Near Future Solar mod, the electric engines from Firespitter.  She is also equipped with TAC Life Support.

Rover I

69FGL5K.png

Rover I is a basic solar powered rover from the Buffalo rover parts pack.  With a crew capacity of 6 and 8 days of life support (with a full crew), she's designed to explore the area around a landed airship.

Expedition I - To the Island Runway.

8VU30hI.png

In the pre-dawn hours Mission Engineer Henri supervises the loading of Rover-1.

Vjv3mZR.png

After loading, Mission Commander Hugo and Mission Engineer Henri conduct a walkaround of the giant airship...  The engines are of particular concern as this mission will cross open water.   Mission Control has judged this to be an acceptable risk due to the short distance and the nearness of KSC rescue forces.

5vcOTDb.png

R5tfxnH.png

As the sky lightens...  Mission Commander Hugo gives the order - Up Ship!, and the first mission of the KASA-AEC is underway.

VR407d8.png

The first phase of the mission is an airborne survey of Airstrip Island.  Swinging around the south side of the island, Pilot Emery spots a broad flat area, and offers to put the Norge down on a dime.  Commander Hugo reminds him that the primary purpose of this mission is to test the AEC and the Norge's basic expeditionary capabilities.  Rough field landings will have to wait for a future expedition.

Vz6EhV0.png

Pilot Emery conducts a perfect landing at the Island Airstrip.

T4CbHz3.pngMmndckn.png

As required by mission rules, a Pilot (Hugo) and an Engineer (Henri) remain onboard Norge.  The remainder of the crew board Rover-I and conduct a traverse of the island - first visiting the artifacts in the abandoned hanger, then exploring the ridge above the airstrip.  A huge as she looks up close, she seems tiny from the ridgetop...

KtOsMHJ.png

In Emery's skilled hands, the Norge ascends from the Island Airstrip and turns for home practically in her own length.

0UVpxHT.png

As they prepare to disembark...  Hugo quietly passes Emery ten bucks for winning their pre-flight bet - Emery landed with the runway centerline stripe within the width of the airships cabin.

Expedition II - Mountain Landing Practice

Future expeditions may require landing in rough terrain to place a navigation beacon (a flag) or to overnight.  Though the AEC has practiced rough field landings in the hills to the West of KSC, not all of Kerbin's terrain is so forgiving.   In order to gain experience, Mission Control has planned an expedition to the mountains West of KSC.   The Norge will transit to a point at the South end of the mountain range, and then proceed Northeast until they locate a suitable landing site.  The choice of landing site will be left up to Mission Commander Hugo.

zGFE9eK.png

Starting their turn to the South, the pilots are careful to avoid the exclusion area around the launch pad.   Though there is no vehicle on the pad, there is no point is arousing Mission Control's wrath.

wnxzd2n.png

Their instruments calibrated, there is little for the Science team to do but watch the Sun rise.

GcdtrYR.png

As the Norge is illuminated by the rising sun, the crew are treated to a view of the full Mun and full Minmus.

yvi07BL.png

The new lateral solar arrays prove their worth - generating far more power than the original spinal array.  Commander Hugo orders Engineer Umberto to shift to the electric motors, valuable practice conserving fuel for future long range missions.

PYidUdk.png

As the mountains approach, Pilot Emery moves to the upper deck of the gondola to assist in scouting for a landing zone so that Commander Hugo can concentrate on the demanding task of navigating the dangerous terrain.

SXU7o2j.png

A potential landing zone is spotted, and course set for it.

5XrEHCD.png

In this KASA supplied graphic, you can see how the crew made a vertical descent directly to the landing zone.  Several hundred meters up, Commander Hugo judged the terrain to be too steep and moved West to the final landing point.
(The graphic was created with the Persistent Trails mod.)

zGe1Vee.png

Thirty meters above the ground, Commander Hugo checks the descent and uses the Norge's automatic stabilization systems and RCS to adjust vehicle's heading and position before final touchdown.  In a postmission debriefing, the pilot crew was unanimous in praise of the value of this ability.

5f2oGBw.png

The ground was too rough to permit the airship to fully touch down...  But the automatic stabilization systems kept the vehicle level while Hugo skilfully adjusted the vehicle's ballast to put sufficient weight on the aft port landing legs to bring the airship to a complete halt.

0YVr3oi.png

Mission Control cancelled the planned EVA due to concerns about the vehicle's stability, but directed the crew to proceed with the engineering tests of the access ladders and cargo ramps.

tKJFH2m.png
Pbt3fZ9.png

After lifting off, the crew flew through some spectacular terrain before making another picture-perfect touchdown at KSC.

After touchdown, Emery quietly passed a ten dollar bill to Hugo.  Later, in his quarters, Hugo examined the bill closely - it was the same one.

rtBfq3k.png

A KASA supplied graphic of the day's flight.

Mission Control is currently reviewing data from the landing to determine if an EVA would be safe in such a condition.   Vehicle Engineering has begun planning rebuilding the gondola to move one of the ladders to the aft end and to remount one of the cargo ramps to extend on the port side.

ebbehGE.png

An even more radical rebuild was proposed to move the Rover hangar to the forward end of the vehicle.  This would allow deployment of Rover-1 on sloping ground, while keeping the Norge's delicate empennage clear of the ground.  It would also allow loading and deployment to be supervised from within the command cabin and keep the rover itself clear of the empennage.

Expedition III - Long Range Cruising

CnKQdI5.jpg

- Fly to the East Peninsula, place a Navigation Beacon, and return to KSC.
- Validate long range cruising ability.
- Validate landing and overnighting capability.

ZDCx7V2.png

After Expedition II, the Norge's gondola was rebuilt to better distribute the positions of ladders and ramps.   The science team protest loudly about being moved all the way aft - far from the bunks and snacks.  (But between themselves, they were quite pleased - now once their instruments were calibrated, they could nap without being caught by the Commander.)

g56WYlk.png

Airborne - and the mission is underway!

VIrEmXy.png

Though the crew chafed at the safety requirement that they remain overland, they enjoyed the scenery 

eGp4vjZ.png

Despite being only 20km short of their destination, as the sun began to set, the crew searched for a landing site...  as they approached touchdown, Emery made an unpleasant discovery - the ship's RCS system was not operating.   After conferring between themselves, Commander Hugo and Emery decided to proceed with the landing.  Emery skillfully used the ship's reaction wheels to point her in the proper direction, and carefully jockeyed the throttles to null her ground velocity.   Though the slope of the landing site was less than ideal, she touched down well within velocity limits.

As the engineering team began to troubleshoot the problem, the science team prepared snacks for dinner.   Afterwards, the science team and Pilot Emery headed to their bunks...  where Pilot Emery found a ten dollar bill in an envelope under his pillow.  Shortly after midnight, the engineers discovered the problem - the main pressure regulator had failed, resulting in low flow to the RCS.  They replaced it with a spare, and conducted a ground test to verify operations before they and Commander Hugo headed to bed.

(Honestly I don't know what happened - the RCS didn't work, but after I saved the game and went to the Space Center to timewarp through the night they started working again.)

The next morning Mission Control awoke the crew - and gave them very welcome news:  Vehicle Engineering had worked through the night, and after reviewing the telemetry data from the engines, Mission Control lifted the requirement that Norge remain over land - and authorized a direct overwater return to KSC.

After breakfast, the crew lifted off and made the short hop to their designated landing site.   Unfortunately, they were unable to locate completely level ground.

Ug8h8tq.png 

(Lesson learned:  When I know I'm going to land, slow down, drop altitude, and open the ScanSat instrument window...  I passed several flat spots while sill high and fast, but couldn't find them again.  Finally, I just got disgusted with myself and set her down.)

SQavAsb.png

Rather than risk unloading Rover-I, Mission Control authorized placing the beacon at the landing site rather than walking to higher ground.   As Commander Hugo watched, Scientists Umberto and Henri quickly checked their instruments and planted the beacon.

(Though in retrospect, I probably could have unloaded it safely.)

9NV4jrE.png

The crew wasted no time in getting back aboard, lifting off, and setting course for home.

bOsiCi5.png

Feet wet!  Leaving the East Peninsula behind and heading out over the open ocean.

0rB1f9X.png

Passing over Observation Island...

(Observation Island is that big island east of KSC well out into the bay... I've looked at it from above many times while climbing into orbit, and thought to myself that if KSP was 'real' then KASA would certainly have a tracking and communications station there.  (In the same way NASA and the USAF had stations located on islands in the Caribbean.)  The real USS/USNS Observation Island played an important role in developing and supporting the Polaris weapons system and SSBNs.)

CJtAoeh.png

Fifty kilometers out - and the KSC complex is clearly visible.  Pilot Emery begins his descent.

Pk1GLHh.png

But misses his mark while landing...   Sheepishly he passes a ten dollar bill to Commander Hugo as they disembark.

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Very cool to have bits of RL history sewn into your story. :) Looking forward to reading more- and planning some conformal solar arrays for the Heisenberg. :)

Thanks!  And looking forward to them!

Expedition IV - To the North Pole.  (The Norge recreates the voyage of her namesake.)

oONFHXZ.jpg

Day 1 - Proceeding North, exploring an anomaly, and stopping over for the night.

i0Scose.png

The Norge makes her usual early morning departure and heads northward with Rover-I safely ensconced in the loading bay.

MG7BY74.png

The crew admires the scenery as it passes below them.  Even the Science team takes a break from their naps instruments to enjoy the view.

(Seriously, I want a cabin down in that valley...  Preferably not too far from the river that would along the center of it.)

c15dtI4.png

On the route northward to the North Station DSN station, the crew of the Norge has been tasked with exploring this remote mountain valley.   A KASA survey satellite has detected an anomaly, and if possible the Norge is to land and inspect it.

LtvlQLS.png

Though Commander Hugo has been piloting so far, as the mountains approach he turns over to Pilot Emery...  But rather than observing from the upper gondola, he stands behind the pilot's station to observe.

o5GMnCI.png
8gQLKFY.png

Emery rapidly calls out engine and ballast commands to Engineer Umberto as he carefully threads a gap into the valley.  Too low, and they risk crashing into the mountains.  Too high, and they'll be unable to make useful observations of the valley.

(Sorry for the UI in the screenshots...  I wanted to get shots, but there wasn't really time/concentration available to turn the UI on and off.  On the other hand, other than the AmpYear mod I use to manage the electrical systems near sunrise and sunset, you can get a good look at what mods/windows I have open when piloting.  A huge shout-out goes out to @JadeOfMaar for answering my questions on the forum and leading me to AmpYear.)

CA6we53.png
Ca8GF10.png

Inside the valley, Commander Hugo makes the difficult call - there is no place safe to land, and even if there was, the anomaly is located on terrain too steep for the airship's crew to safely reach.   They continue through the valley, and exit to the northeast before turning northwest for lower ground and North Station.

(And I totally forgot to get any screenshots of the exit.  Sorry.)

kHE900m.png

Shortly after reaching the lowlands, Commander Hugo decides that since they cannot reach North Station in daylight, they will land for the night.   The mountains surrounding the station are simply too dangerous to risk at night, and there's no point in fatiguing the crew by operating overnight.   Pilot Emery once again find a ten dollar bill tucked under his pillow when he goes to bed.

Expedition IV - To the North Pole (continued).

Days 2 and 3.  DSN North Station

K1NAtZl.png

Norge takes to the air shortly after dawn, and soon reaches the North Station.

yDM1Rid.png

And finds a spot to touch down near the base camp.  The rest of the day and the following day will be spent refueling and reprovisioning.  The crew gives the Station staff a tour of Norge, and in return the staff hosts a dinner for the crew at the base camp.

The crew turned in early on the last day as the next forty eight hours will be long and fatiguing.

(Refueling and reprovisioning = using Hyperedit to fill all the tanks.  I'm roleplaying that there's a functioning base at the DSN station.  I've used very little fuel since most of the flight so far was accomplished on solar power, but the low sun angle near the poles means tomorrow's flight will likely not be able to use solar at all.)

Day 4.  Polar landing!

Vy1SJtb.png

As soon as there is enough daylight, Commander Hugo order Up Ship! - ahead of them lies one of the most arduous days of flying and a historic mission.

0arAaT2.png

But first a flyby of DSN North Station for a PR photograph from a KASA drone.  Commander Hugo makes a note to get a copy and have the crew sign it for the station staff in return for their hospitality.

TKPsMc0.png

As the arctic wastes approach, Engineer Henri keeps a close eye on his gauges...  Solar power output is dropping as they proceed northward, and he must shift to the Cyclone engines before the battery is flat.  The battery can be recharged using the onboard generators, but not having a reserve this far from base is not a good idea.

rAwVmrU.png

A view of the arctic wasteland from the warmth of the pilot's station in the command gondola.

LgHh9ih.png

Touch down at the pole!  Or at least close...  the Norge is several tens of meters from the pole.  Scientists Charles and William unload Rover-I and despite balky controls, locate the exact pole.

kToQJOU.png

A historic moment!  The crew assembled at the pole during the flag planting ceremony.

(I was in a bit of a hurry at this point, and once again forgot to turn off the UI.  The Norge was doing a kraken dance while I was offloading the rover and trying to get it to work and then EVAing the crew.  At this point, it's turned itself through ninety degrees and moved about thirty meters - and on it's current course was due to cross a seam...  as I'd already had problems with the kerbals at the seams, I just wanted to get out of there before it did.)

6yAcmyM.png

After the flag ceremony...  Rover-I's controls failed entirely.  Unable to re-load it, Commander Hugo directed that it be abandoned and the Norge lifted off and set course for home.  (Note Minmus on the horizon.)

(I was able to unload the rover using MechJeb's controls, but it wasn't responding to manual control at all...  and MechJeb's controls are nowhere near delicate enough for the loading operation.)

Setting a southbound course...  the crew wait for a commsat to rise above the horizon, and when it does Commander Hugo, Pilot Emery, and Engineers Umberto and Henri hold a long conversation with KSC.  Given their fuel state (still nearly full) and the condition of the crew (moderately tired but motivated) - KSC approves Hugo's suggestion that they make a direct return to KSC.  (The science team later complains that they weren't included - "because you were napping and will nap all the way home not matter how we proceeded" Commander Hugo points out.)

ksBRR1Z.png

As the sun sets, finally the arctic ends and the open oceans beckon beyond.  Shortly after this photo was taken, Commander Hugo, due to relieve Pilot Emery in three hours goes to bed.  Engineer Umberto, due to relieve Engineer Henri in an hour heads to the galley for a snack and a cup of coffee as he's due to relieve Engineer Henri in an hour.  They'll continue through the night, pilot and engineers offset by two hours and spending four hours on, fours hours off.

Shortly after he takes the watch Commander Hugo realizes there is something crinkling in the cushions of the pilot's seat... and is unsurprised to find an envelope with a ten dollar bill inside.

Edited by DerekL1963

Days 4 and 5  Night Flight and returning to KSC.

akyorGv.png

During the night Norge swings wide to the east of the mountains she flew through four days earlier.

HvxF910.png

As the sun lightens the horizon... the Mun also rises.  And so does the crew - who are surprised to find a full breakfast cooked by Scientists William and Charles.  Commander Hugo's place however is set with just a bowl of cereal.  "Sorry, we were napping and couldn't make enough" explains William.

LKZAdYb.png

Commander Hugo relieve Pilot Emery, who goes aft to enjoy a full breakfast and a brief nap.

bG3cQwZ.png

Finally the mountains are behind them and the rolling hills north of KSC, the site of so many training cruises and exercises, open up before them.  Shortly afterwards, Commander Hugo yields the pilot's seat to Emery for the final approach to KSC.

JpiBliS.png

An eclipse forces Engineer Henri to shift from solar power to the Cyclone engines.

gN0ZydK.png
HsUIrDX.png

Pilot Emery makes a steep approach to KSC.., and appears to be overshooting the runway.  He grins...

CjI5bCp.png

And brings Norge to a near stop in front of her hangar...  (Much to the discomfiture of the control tower personnel.)

syzYWXe.png

Followed by a picture perfect touchdown.   As he stands and stretches, Commander Hugo points out an envelope tucked into the seat cushions and reminds Emery not to forget it.

On 3/3/2017 at 3:22 AM, xendelaar said:

Awesome report.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Loving the airship adventures! Interesting to read about the real world Norge as well.

All possible due to your mod. :)  Thanks!

Side Story

GvL8RpN.png

rg4LGvC.png

zVBItsl.png

I have proved to my satisfaction that if you're bored, or bugstuff insane, it's entirely possible to use air dropped relay stations to build out a global relay network...  I may or may not write an Airship Adventures story on this.  (And if I do, I won't use such an insanely low occlusion factor!)

Edited by DerekL1963

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.